Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What did you do to get rid of the "lefts"?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mattw1106

mattw1106

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96200
  • Ebay ID:mattw1106
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Title says it all folks. I just cant seem to hit a controllable draw, from the driver all the way through the bag everything I hit just seems to hook off of the planet.

Edited by mattw1106, 22 November 2012 - 08:12 PM.

'17 Taylormade M2 9.5 Speeder Evo TS 757
Taylormade M2 15 Speeder Evo TS 757
Taylormade P770 3-pw Modus Tour 130
Vokey SM5 54 Tour Issue s400
Vokey SM6 58 Tour Issue s400
Rife Aruba
Taylormade TP5x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Cmartingolf

Cmartingolf

Martin Chuck

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71538
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

You can start by seeing which of the two left curving pieces is causing you the most problem; path or face. If you "hook everything off the planet" then your face is the likely culprit. It is tough to hook a short iron off the planet w path error only. Tough to tilt the d plane enough. If you have an excessive path error, like many good players get stuck with, the thought of swinging left helps a lot. Tough to swing in the direction of your miss, but it helps many a fine player. Face issues are harder to fix. Your wrist conditions are unreliable. I see my share of weak grip, cuppy, forearm rollers that hit hooks. The face gets really open during the backswing and timing the "re-roll" is very unpredictable. Anyway, some thoughts for you. I'd start by training your right hand/wrist/elbow by hitting right arm only shots about 50 yards w a wedge. My practice drills playlist will help you.

#3 avrag

avrag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32251
GolfWRX Likes : 1238

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostCmartingolf, on 22 November 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

You can start by seeing which of the two left curving pieces is causing you the most problem; path or face. If you "hook everything off the planet" then your face is the likely culprit. It is tough to hook a short iron off the planet w path error only. Tough to tilt the d plane enough. If you have an excessive path error, like many good players get stuck with, the thought of swinging left helps a lot. Tough to swing in the direction of your miss, but it helps many a fine player. Face issues are harder to fix. Your wrist conditions are unreliable. I see my share of weak grip, cuppy, forearm rollers that hit hooks. The face gets really open during the backswing and timing the "re-roll" is very unpredictable. Anyway, some thoughts for you. I'd start by training your right hand/wrist/elbow by hitting right arm only shots about 50 yards w a wedge. My practice drills playlist will help you.

Like me, for instance.
When I saw Martin, he had me strengthen my right hand grip amongst other things. Contrary to all traditional logic, this helped fight the hooks in the long run. However, the most important change was a more pronounced weight shift.
The first ten range sessions after that were brutal, because I hit one s***k after the other for hours. It took some time before my brain accepted that there was no more need to lunge towards the ball and no more need to flip the face closed.  Also I had to get used to the fact that a better swing "feels" so much slower than what I did before.
I lost it again after a few months, because of playing a lot and not practicing enough. Now, that the "dome season" has started for me, it gets better again.
I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

#4 Reidman

Reidman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81356
  • Handicap:3.7
  • Ebay ID:reidman12
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

When the ball curves, you have too much hands in your swing. Go to Edwin Watts & do the $50 swing analysis with the laser & video. Tell them no thanks to the $600 lesson package they will try to sell & go buy a laser on eBay for $60 so you can practice at home, office, etc.

Laser will reinforce the one-piece, straight back takeaway & straight thru downswing. I guarantee it will fix your "lefts"
Ping G400 10 Tour 65 Stiff
Adams TL Ti 15, 19 Aldila Tour Red Stiff
Srixon U45 4 iron
Srixon 745 5-SW
Cleveland RTX3 LW
Odyssey O Works #7 or 7S, depends :)
Callaway Chrome Soft

#5 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 4799

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostReidman, on 23 November 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

When the ball curves, you have too much hands in your swing. Go to Edwin Watts & do the $50 swing analysis with the laser & video. Tell them no thanks to the $600 lesson package they will try to sell & go buy a laser on eBay for $60 so you can practice at home, office, etc.

Laser will reinforce the one-piece, straight back takeaway & straight thru downswing. I guarantee it will fix your "lefts"

Not if face is the issue.  I see lots of good players hit hooks with baseline/swing plane right at the target.  For all clubs but driver path would still be in to out and if face got closed (ball starting slightly left) ball will still hook and finish well left of the target.  Not even talking a massively closed face.  If face gets one or two degrees closed to target with a mid iron the ball would finish well left even with a square baseline.

Fix face first.  Get ball to start a touch right, open to target, and see if it still hooks.  If it does then gradually swing more left til ball barely curves.

#6 mattw1106

mattw1106

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96200
  • Ebay ID:mattw1106
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 23 November 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Not if face is the issue.  I see lots of good players hit hooks with baseline/swing plane right at the target.  For all clubs but driver path would still be in to out and if face got closed (ball starting slightly left) ball will still hook and finish well left of the target.  Not even talking a massively closed face.  If face gets one or two degrees closed to target with a mid iron the ball would finish well left even with a square baseline.

Fix face first.  Get ball to start a touch right, open to target, and see if it still hooks.  If it does then gradually swing more left til ball barely curves.

Thank you guys for the helpful info. If this helps any, the ball usually starts on my intended line, maybe a little left of it, and turns to the left pretty hard. I have been really struggling getting my hands on the club comfortably here lately. I was stupid enough to listen to someone who told me that my face was to shut at the top of the swing, (as they are telling me that I am in the middle of one of my best rounds this year) so the next time on the range I started toying with my grip and I have been struggling ever since.
'17 Taylormade M2 9.5 Speeder Evo TS 757
Taylormade M2 15 Speeder Evo TS 757
Taylormade P770 3-pw Modus Tour 130
Vokey SM5 54 Tour Issue s400
Vokey SM6 58 Tour Issue s400
Rife Aruba
Taylormade TP5x

#7 keiko

keiko

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52445
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Try firming up the grip to cut down on the wrist release; if your grip pressure is say a 4 or 5, take it firmer to a 7 or 8; you should start hitting fades.
Also, important: make sure you are turning through and not leaving weight on the rear foot.

View Postmattw1106, on 23 November 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 23 November 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Thank you guys for the helpful info. If this helps any, the ball usually starts on my intended line, maybe a little left of it, and turns to the left pretty hard. I have been really struggling getting my hands on the club comfortably here lately. I was stupid enough to listen to someone who told me that my face was to shut at the top of the swing, (as they are telling me that I am in the middle of one of my best rounds this year) so the next time on the range I started toying with my grip and I have been struggling ever since.

#8 Jacob Mac

Jacob Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108513
GolfWRX Likes : 619

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I fixed a poor wrist condition at the top of my swing earlier this week and no more flippy hooks for me so far.  I look fairly closed at the top of my swing now,  but it helps me come straigbt down on plane without a lot of manipulation.   Reading iteach's article about flat cupped or bowed at the top of the swing helped a lot.  I focus on bending my right wrist back in my backswing and so far so good.

This might not work forever.  But so far so good.  I haven't missed with a hook since.  I have hit a couple of pulls but they weren't awful misses and I can live with that miss.

#9 brianmontgomery2000

brianmontgomery2000

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90784
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Short term:  Got fitted.  Ended up with R11S with all the settings "anti-left" -- toe weight, open face angle, etc.  That helped I think both practically and "placebically"...

Longer term:  I'm working toward a more pivot driven swing -- no more stall and throw and hope my timing is good.

I'm now hitting fades and very slight draws.  As long as I don't stall the pivot, it's not getting away from me on the dreaded "started left and THEN hooked" trajectory that had become the bane of my golfing existence.

I'm reading/watching a lot of Slicefixer, DWF1500, Hogan, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors