Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Got Hit By a ball yesterday

103 replies to this topic

#1 seminolewind

seminolewind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83861
  • Ebay ID:jmorrell2012
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

So I was playing in our weekly game yesterday with our head pro. We have a big  group and do a shotgun start. Our group started on the 14th hole which is a 170 yard par 3. I am standing on the green waiting to putt when out of the corner of my eye I see something but it was too late ti react. An older gentleman hit a low slicing 3 wood on the par 5 that runs parallel to 14 and it hit me in the fly right in my left rib cage. Needless to say I fell like a sack of potatoes and it took a few minutes to catch my breath. Nobody in his group yelled then the ****** rolled up and asked if I had his ball. Before I could get a word out the head pro was all over him. I am just thankful it did not catch me in the head as the outcome could have been catastrophic. I have a nice bruise and am a little sore but not as bad as I thought it would be. Anyone else ever been hit on the course.

Callaway BB  Motore Speeder 6.1 X
Callaway BB 3 Wood Motore Speeder 7.1 X
Callaway X Hot Motore Speeder 9.8 X
Titleist AP2 3-PW DG X-100
Vokey SM4 56*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 hardboiled

hardboiled

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127460
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

Ouch!
I almost was hit on the head the other day.

Me waiting to putt while a youngster was hitting out of the green side bunker.  Bloke hits a shank, and out of the corner of my eye I see a ball flying towards me at a great rate of knots.

Had to do the old Matrix maneuver, almost somersaulting backwards, and felt the ball go whizzing past my nose.  

That would have really hurt if I wasn't paying attention.

#3 Vintage1976

Vintage1976

2014 Bag is finally set! 9/18/14...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119640
  • Ebay ID:justgolfstuff
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:57 AM

I got one-hopped into once. Not much juice on it, no marks. No "Fore!" either. I was walking up the fairway and got in the path of a bad snap hook coming from an opposite running hole. The guys came over and appologized though so what can you do...
XCG5 / PLRed
980F / NVS75
BafflerRailH / NVS105
S2Forged / C-Taper
Tricept / ProWhite
SS385

#4 butch33611

butch33611

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187822
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

Playing in a scramble years ago. This perticular hole your drive went over a hill so it was impossible to tell when to hit. They had a bell off to the side of the fairway. After you hit your second shot you rang the bell telling the group behind you it was safe to hit. We all hit our shots, rang the bells and drove on. My playing partner says...crap, I left my green repair tool back there. He was using it to mark where we all hit from. Against my better judgement I said..lets go get it.

He sees it and swings the cart around as I lean out to pick it up on the fly. Just as my fingers touched it I got hit hit in the lower back with a drive. It felt like someone stabbed me. He didnt see but he knew something happened. I said, I just got hit by a drive. He didnt belive it until we got back to the green and I pulled up my shirt. He believed it then. It was sore for a few days but I considered it mostly my own falt for agreeing to back into the line of fire instead of just waitting till after they had hit.

#5 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

Jeez ... I involuntarily cringe when I read stuff like this. I've been hit three times (over the last four deecades) ... none caused much damage though. But I've seen some terrible things over the years (including a guy that had his cheekbone damn near shattered). Golf balls can be lethal weapons.

#6 DLiver

DLiver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

I've been lucky so far. I did have a ball fly between my legs as I was walking off a par 3 green (guys please let the group in front clear the hole before hitting ;) ). That would have sucked lol. Another time I was walking down a fairway with a friend when a group from an adjacent fairway hooked a ball right at us. I saw it all the way (and they yelled). It took one bounce and headed right at my friend. I just reached out and knocked it down with my gloved hand--total reflex. If I had tried to do it I would have missed. So I guess technically I have been hit. ;)

Edited by DLiver, 22 November 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#7 J13

J13

@jminis13

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
GolfWRX Likes : 1260

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

glad your pro stepped up and let the guy have it.  No excuse for not yelling fore
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#8 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

I hope that any member who has had the even fleeting impulse to hit into another group for any reason reads this thread. The accounts described by the OP and others are chilling reminders that even the least accomplished of us can do serious damage to others with our golf shots. I can think of nothing that would warrant the intentional use of a struck ball to "carry a message". This is simply not acceptable behavior for anyone who calls themselves a "golfer".

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope future posters will keep to the topic.

#9 Rockminer

Rockminer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123965
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Carrying my bag once, had a ball land between the bag and my body around my head. The bag took most of the blow and I did hear a fore. Was blasted in the right calf by a friend at the range. I was 90 deg to his target, did not hear a fore on that one, just pain.

#10 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
GolfWRX Likes : 1260

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

I hit a woman before with my drive, I yelled fore but still drilled her in the back.  She went down like a sack of potatoes and her husband wanted to beat the crap out of me (keep in mind this was years ago I was 17years old)  She was ok though and kept playing but I felt horrible.

Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1381

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Never hit anyone that I know of but I've come close. Never been hit but definitely have come too close for comfort a couple times.

Well, I did get "hit" on the leg once but the ball had already hit the ground, then a golf cart, then the ground again.It was funny rather than painful, like the ball was going to bounce as many times as it needed to until it could bite me on the ankle.

But when one hits you or whizzes a couple inches past your ear, it kind of makes you wonder why the heck we are out there in a dangerous place like a golf course...

#12 ghalfaire

ghalfaire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159335
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

I was hit in the lower leg (shin) by a sliced drive from an adjacent fairway.  The fellow did yell fore but I just ducked and put my arm over my head which didn't help my leg much. The ball hit me on the fly and I did after a time I did  manage to walk off the course.  But later ended up in the hospital with blood clots in the leg.  

On the other side of the ball I did hit a fellow once but the ball had bounced a couple of times and I had yelled fore several times.  They had ask us to hit up and I hooked the shot into the group.  But no one was very hurt or upset except me.

#13 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1774

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

By chance did getting hit teach you to play faster?

Seems to be the logic of some of our members...

All kidding aside I'm glad your not hurt.  I wish more people would realize  how dangerous a stray shot can be or worse yet the practice of hitting into players. I realize he didn't do it on purpose but not yelling FORE RIGHT is just as inconsiderate as hitting into a group.  

Thank goodness it didn't turn out worse.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#14 ghalfaire

ghalfaire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159335

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Getting hit did make me more "situation aware" on the course than I was before, but probably not faster.  But in my case the "hit" came from another fairway and not from the group following us.

Oh, I don't hit up to par 3 anymore unless the group waving us up gets well behind the green.

Edited by ghalfaire, 22 November 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#15 teeitlow

teeitlow

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108646
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

I was on an adjacent fairway and I had just bought a coors light from the cart girl and had just taken a drink when i was drilled between the shoulder blades causing the beer to erupt from my mouth and plaster the cart girl. No FORE or anything. I was as embarrassed as I was pissed. Thankfully it hit me and not the gal...at 5'-2" or so that shot would have caught her between the eyes. Less than a minute later his partners ball came flying in not more than a few feet from us...Fortunately they were ejected from the course.
-D

#16 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1774

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

View Postghalfaire, on 22 November 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Getting hit did make me more "situation aware" on the course than I was before, but probably not faster.  But in my case the "hit" came from another fairway and not from the group following us.

Oh, I don't hit up to par 3 anymore unless the group waving us up gets well behind the green.
The faster comment was tongue in cheeck, ;) "situation aware" yea it's like riding a motorcycle, you have to be aware of all the other "NON Aware" people around you. But I am glad you didn't get hurt any worse than it was.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#17 Senna

Senna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208351
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Never been hit and never hit anyone.
A few years ago i was on the course and there was one of the green staff on the green, Once he seen us he walked 20 foot in-front of the green, there is water to the left of the green so he just stood there (on the phone) still in-line with the green. I was having a good round and wasn't going to play safe and aim to the back right (safe area), I hit the shot a little thin and it was heading near him on a low trajectory, i shouted four and so did my playing partner, but it was at-least 10ft away from him, but could have been much closer.
I walked up to him and just let rip, I was more annoyed that I hit when I shouldn't have but equally annoyed that he put me in that situation.  Anyway i wont make that mistake again and after the mouthful i gave him, I'd say he will be more careful in future.

#18 Shambles

Shambles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Getting hit is a very real possibility when you frequently play on crowded courses. People become impatient and tend to bunch up. I've been hit 3 or 4 times over the years, thankfully none on the fly. I've since learned to choose the least popular hours on the fairway.

Shambles

#19 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

View Postprofsmitty, on 22 November 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

I hope that any member who has had the even fleeting impulse to hit into another group for any reason reads this thread. The accounts described by the OP and others are chilling reminders that even the least accomplished of us can do serious damage to others with our golf shots. I can think of nothing that would warrant the intentional use of a struck ball to "carry a message". This is simply not acceptable behavior for anyone who calls themselves a "golfer".

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope future posters will keep to the topic.

This ^

Hitting someone by accident is bad enough ... there's absolutely no excuse for hitting into a group on purpose (something I've unfortunately seen people do over the years).

#20 FLOGMR

FLOGMR

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131781
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

I've been grazed a few times but never hit full on by a ball in flight..... BUT........early this summer I was playing on a Saturday morning at the local muni near home. I know that is likely to spell disaster but I wanted to play so there I was as a single with another single and a father/son duo....son is about 20 years old.
We putt out on #5...a downhill par 4 of about 400 yds and walk over to stand by the tee box of #6....as we are standing there we hear the distinctive "Click" of  a ball hitting a cart path...before we can move the ball ricochets right into the son's head...right on the temple. Down he goes as if he had been shot. I make a call and the pro shop sends out a  cart to take him in (Very woozy and unsteady)...a waiting ambulance takes him to the local hospital along with dad who is visibly shaken. Turns out the offending shot was from a full 3 wood about 200 yards away.
As the other single and I pass the pro shop the staff ask if it's OK to put a twosome with us for the back 9........sure!! We play a couple of holes and tell these guys the story of what just transpired...they are amazed. We have just finished #12 and are waiting to tee off on #13 and one of the new guys is standing right beside me....something flashes through the air and he doubles over and goes to his knees holding his hand....... he has just been hit in the hand by an errant drive off #10 ..... Broken thumb!!
Twice in one round... I would have never believed if I hadn't seen it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

During my PAT for the PGM program on the 3rd hole the older guy we were playing with lost his tee shot on this ~170 par 3.  He drove back to the tee and my partner and myself stood behind the trees to the left.  After a few moments his ball hits the tree I was behind, at head height. Scared the crap out of me, 3 inchs of tree from being killed.

#22 Anwell

Anwell

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42073
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

Well, I did hit one guy almost in the "man" area.  I was in a greenside bunker and caught the ball too clean and thin.  The guy was looking for his ball on the other side of the our green (not in my group).  I couldnt see him because green was slightly elevated, my playing partner was next to me, and the ball probably missed his junk by couple inches.  He went down very quick and was up in a minute or two.

#23 Man In The Miura

Man In The Miura

Heee heee heee!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97915
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

My daughter and I were on the green of a par three hole at a public course when a similar situation happened.  An old guy snap hooked a 3 wood and caught the poor kid directly in the thigh on the fly from about 75 yards away.  No time to yell fore.  Very poorly designed lay-out with hazardous situations like this all over the course.

We took a different approach than getting angry.  Despite her obvious pain, I advised her to shake it off.  I challenged her to accept the forthcoming apology graciously. Fighting back tears, it's what she did, and we moved on.

That was a 12 year old girl at the time taking a 3 wood.  After that, we became much more aware of our surroundings.

#24 Shiram

Shiram

Tour Winner

• 853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126739
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I've been hit twice. One in the elbow and once in the ribs. Someone yelled fore both times - it didn't make it hurt any less. Both times they were bad shots but both were also on tight course layouts that really invite these situations. So I have no ill feelings to the guys who hit me.

It's a risk we all take when we step onto the course. The only time I would be angry would be if someone hits into me when we're playing the same hole - in those situations you really have no excuse. :)

I also hit myself once - in the teeth - while hitting into a net. I hit one thing and it hit something and bounced back into my face. Happened really fast,  I spat out two teeth. Luckily I got to the dentist quickly and they put them back in. Two years later, they're still hanging in there. Could have been much worse.

#25 cardoustie

cardoustie

-24 in a 2 man scramble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
GolfWRX Likes : 738

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have been beaned on the fly twice.

Once in the ribs from a neighboring par 4 off an elevated tee.  No fore.  Huge meteor streak started red, then purple/blue .. lasted 10 days.  

Also got one about 6 inches from the nads.  It was our fault.  A buddy and his wife were in our group and we drove up to the green.  I got out and she yelled fore just in time, turned approx a quarter turn and took one off the top of my thigh, dropped like a sack of potatos from PEI

Ping Rapture V2 SPDR-660tr X
Cally 5 Deep Fuji TS 869 X
Ping G25 7 wood Fuji TS 952 X
Ping G25h 23* Fuji TS 904HBx
Ping s55 5-PW. Nippon 1150x GH Tour
TVD M's >50* sm4, 55,60,64 Sm2
WITB Link

#26 jdhallissey

jdhallissey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24316
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

I worked at a course all throughout high school. I was cleaning the range and at the end in the far right corner is were we would transfer the balls from the picker to the cart with a trashcan to bring them in. One person was on the range at the time ( i knew him). It is normal to aim at the picker we all do it but when the person gets out well you hit the other way (respect and common knowledge). Well I grab a basket and turn to walk to the cart and took the range ball right in the center of my chest. Knocked me on my butt, I got right up in pain and went and beat him pretty good. I got suspended for 2 weeks about 10 mins after it happened and sent home, went to the hospital for xrays (hurt a lot) 3 cracked ribs.  Getting hit sucks I don't wish it on anybody.

#27 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
GolfWRX Likes : 1116

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

The people who purposely hit into others should read this. I hate when people can't yell fore.
Taylormade sldr Kiyoshi
Ping G30
Taylormade UDI
Ping S55
Titliest Vokey SM5 54 & 60
Scotty Cameron Newport

#28 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4447

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

I'm glad to hear you're okay Seminole. I'm also glad the pro was there to give the guy a piece of his mind. What's worse the guy was more concerned about his golf ball than you.
Hey...be nice.

#29 keatonec

keatonec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197990

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I was standing on the teebox with the group I was playing with and one of my friends hit his tee shot and he shanked it into the woods beside us and it came flying out right back at me! Hit me right above my knee thank god. Any lower and it would have shattered my kneecap.

I did end up with a huge welt though.

#30 steedorf

steedorf

MediocreSt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205289
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

I win this one. I was playing with just my buddy this summer and I make this great putt, pick my ball out of the hole turn to my buddy and out of no where a one hopper straight to my proV1s if you know what I mean. I dropped like a sack of potatoes. The group behind saw and rushed up as I layed on the green life less. Guy didnt say fore. He rolls up as well asking if they saw their ball. One of the guys behind us says "this ball?" And fires it into the woods. Guy gets angry and finds out what happens say oh and drives off. Not a sorry or nothing.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors