Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

28 handicap, are r11 irons bad for me?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 cjfrankum

cjfrankum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208475
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

I, for the last 4 years, have been playing some TPS Powerbilt irons.  They were bought in a complete set from Dunhams by my dad as a gift 4 years ago.  I finally decided to splurge and get a great iron set.  I went with the r11, KBS regular flex shafts.

I have played 6 rounds with them.  I hate them right now.  When i hit them absolutely perfect, the ball flies and flies where I want it.  But this does not happen very often.  Mishits don't fly very far and are inaccurate.  I truly feel like my powerbilt irons were more forgiving.  

Am I just inconsistent with them right now and need to keep trying?  Or am I out of my element

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 mufasis

mufasis

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171781
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Just keep them and put in some hard work building a swing you can replicate and be consistent with. My 2 cents....

Edited by mufasis, 21 November 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#3 GoPokes44

GoPokes44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150517
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

We've all been there, and honestly, you need to start taking lessons before spending a few hundred on irons. Just a few lessons will get you shooting in the double digits.

#4 Guia

Guia

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 543

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

You should be able to hit them.  They are a cavity iron the head is a little small for a high handicapperbut practice and it will work out.

#5 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

pratice, pratice and oh yeah PRATICE. In all honesty its not the arrow its the indian. Take lessons and build your game up. R11 irons are more game improvement, so they are supposed to be easy to hit.

Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 04 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 704 5 iron/6-pw 670 mb KBS tour
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55/59
Scotty cameron Red X
WITB Link

#6 Timanator

Timanator

SFClone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71372
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

Should be perfect, they are not exactly unforgiving.
Ping Anser 9.5 Ahina 70-S
Adams Super S 2H 17 degrees, Kujoh-S
Ping I20 3-PW KBS Tour-S
Ping Tour W 52/Mizuno 56T10
Odyssey Versa 7

#7 tdelam

tdelam

Sideways

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177540
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 585

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Lots of forgiveness in those, my wifes father plays R11 irons with a regular flex shaft, he's 58 and has significant back problems, his HCP is 22 but his iron play stepped up when he got rid of his old cally's for these and helped him lower his scores a bit.
Mizuno JPX-850 10.5
Mizuno Fli-Hi 18 2 iron
Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-PW
Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 50
Titleist Vokey SM5 F-Grind 56
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

#8 HiSpeed48

HiSpeed48

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196138
GolfWRX Likes : 250

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

You've played 6 rounds, but how many times have you been to the range with them? Practice, practice, practice.
Ping G25
Ping I20 3h
Mizuno MP32 3-9
Vokey 46, 50, 54, 60
Cameron Detour 2.5

#9 Cwing

Cwing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
GolfWRX Likes : 307

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

They will work with time and effort
But there are better choices out there.
G30 10* vs G25 10.5* & 12*
G25 15* & k15 16*
G25 20*,  K15 23* & 27* hybrids
G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
STX Profit 6 vs Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Cleveland 54 Rtx, 60 cg12
WITB Link

#10 Desert Golf

Desert Golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25707
  • Handicap:10.2
GolfWRX Likes : 320

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

If you want to hit those irons well, please take a series of lessons from a good instructor.
I'm cheap and I don't like shelling out money for lessons, but it is very difficult to build a swing on you own by trial and error.

Titliest 913D2 Diamana Blue S+
Titleist 904f Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX
Mizuno MX25
Odyssey Black Tour #5

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 1277

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yes, yes, lessons and all that.

Regarding the irons, R11's have a high CG and medium short blade length, so they are not the most forgiving.  Something like Ping G-series are renowned for their ease of use and in my opinion, would have been a better choice for a 28 capper.

#12 Shambles

Shambles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

View Postcjfrankum, on 21 November 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

I, for the last 4 years, have been playing some TPS Powerbilt irons.  They were bought in a complete set from Dunhams by my dad as a gift 4 years ago.  I finally decided to splurge and get a great iron set.  I went with the r11, KBS regular flex shafts.

I have played 6 rounds with them.  I hate them right now.  When i hit them absolutely perfect, the ball flies and flies where I want it.  But this does not happen very often.  Mishits don't fly very far and are inaccurate.  I truly feel like my powerbilt irons were more forgiving.  

Am I just inconsistent with them right now and need to keep trying?  Or am I out of my element

After 4 years of playing, one would expect sufficient skill as to be able to change clubs without falling into complete disarray. However, the number of years does not nearly matter as much as the amount of work and amount of learning done, regardless of how much time was involved.

Assuming you actually have sufficient skill, I suggest you have a proper fitting with those clubs and compare them with your old clubs. It's rare that two sets of clubs would vary that much but it's not impossible. A very good fit can reduce the amount of new learning needed for new clubs. Once you get that set working, you can decide whether you like it or not, and know what you like or don't like about it. It's personal.

It's also possible that you simply fell into a small panic at the strange sight and feel the confronts you when you address the ball. That's often temporary, but some people actually convince themselves that they truly cannot get along with those clubs, or even those type of clubs.

Shambles

#13 josh44

josh44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120342
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

They are a nice clubs, you should use them as motivation to build a good swing to go with them!
Callaway XHot 3Deep 13*
Wilson Staff D-100 17*
Ping i5 4-PW w/ Rifle 5.5
Ping Tour Gorge 52,56
Titleist Vokey 58

#14 BigPete

BigPete

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83849
  • Handicap:12.1
  • Ebay ID:petekirkham25
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

They're good irons, they topped at least one iron test that I read. If you've only played with one set, then anything else will feel strange for a while. Stick with them and good luck.
Mizuno JPX 850 Matrix stiff
TEE XGCv 18 DG R300
Mizuno 825 25 Orochi stiff
Mizuno MX 23 5-pw DG SL300
Mizuno MPT10 54 60
Mizuno MPT106
WITB Link

#15 Par-A-Medic

Par-A-Medic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179188
  • Ebay ID:swvafiremedic
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

No offense at all but how many times have you played in 4 years. The r11 iron is a cast game improvement iron. The head is a little smaller than a sgi and the sole is a bit narrower but still an easy club to swing, and taylormade iron tech in those irons makes a huge sweet spot. You have to commit the time in to get irons, or any club dialed in for that matter. Lessons or just finding it in the dirt is your answer. I would keep them, they are great irons. I have a fried who loves his and they look good as well. Just my 2 cents

#16 fairwaysroverated

fairwaysroverated

Wish I would have made the r a capital R

• 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191214
  • Handicap:8.8
  • Ebay ID:winter4752
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

I think it's rare to find a set of clubs that you love right of the back. Once you get used to swinging them you'll get back to hitting good balls. It's just a transition phase. You can probably pick up your old irons and they just feel right in your hands. The R11's will get hat way as well. It jst takes time and practice.
9* G25 Driver, Tour AD DI 6 Black
13* Rapture 3 Wood, Speeder 757
2 Rapture DI, KBS Tour V
4 - 5 G25 Irons, KBS Tour
6 - UW I25 Irons, KBS Tour
56* & 60* Gorge Wedges, KBS Tour

#17 Mulligan26

Mulligan26

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28075
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Just keep practicing man

#18 richard t

richard t

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

I'm going to say something that might seem offensive, BUT hear me out. As OPs have all said, one way or another, YOU need lessons if you are a 28. No big deal. Got to start somewhere. Usual route is lessons, fitting, pick new clubs. You went the other way. Those are darn good irons (and I'm a PIng devotee). Now that you have those irons make up your mind to take lessons, practice, and learn to work with those clubs. Please, please always remember there is no set of clubs that will make you play better, in and of themselves. You, on the other hand, can learn to play with anything you want to use. Someone once told me, " money for clubs won't buy a good swing, but money spent for lessons/practice will."  Hang in there, get lessons, hit balls-lots of balls and you'll be singing the praises of those irons to us in no time. Good Luck!

#19 cgasucks

cgasucks

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16512
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Just stick with them...you're playing with a much higher quality shaft and head now and you're body will have to slowly get used to it after playing your Wal-Mart clubs for the longest time..

Edited by cgasucks, 23 November 2012 - 11:20 AM.

Taylormade R510TP with Stock Speeder 757
Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scots (2-SW)
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W
Guerin Rife Aruba Putter
I'm handsome and you're not...

#20 Pritam

Pritam

• 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132676
  • Ebay ID:pdutta2000
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

I was where you are exactly 1 year ago. At that point I had Nike VR Blades and a HDCP well over 25. I figured that blades would force me to swing correctly. Wrong. I did 2 things that changed my life. The first was to ask my wife for lessons for my birthday. The second was to get a set of R11 irons. I now have a standing lesson every month and a 9 HDCP. The lessons helped me learn how to swing and the R11 irons made it easy to see progress. They also minimize my mistakes which keeps me positive. I also did something that's mentioned here a lot which is practice. I found time for the range but also found more time for 9 hole rounds by myself. There's nothing like hitting a real shot on a real course. Keep the R11 irons. They are legit and will grow with your game.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

I would ditch them immediately. Try to sell them and get some of your $$ back.

Put your Powerbilts back in the bag and take this whole thing as a learning experience. The next time your ready to buy clubs, get fit or go to a demo day and try tons of stuff out before you pull the trigger.

#22 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
  • Handicap:14.0
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

View Postsharkiesj, on 23 November 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

I would ditch them immediately. Try to sell them and get some of your $$ back.

This isn't a bad piece of advice.  If you have something that isn't working for you, then get out now while you can still maximize the resale value.  As other have already said, there are likely better choices for a golfer at your level.  Having said that, we all seem to go through this period where we develop our game over a period of time and get to the point where we believe that new clubs can help take us to the next level.  In my experience, this is at best a 50/50 proposition.  Some will work, some won't, no matter how much demoing you do.  Even getting fitted is no guarantee because it depends a great deal on who is doing the fitting.  Fitters are a lot like instructors, I think.  Some will help you, some won't.

The point is that if you have something that works, stick with it.  New isn't necessarily going to be better.

Edited by scomac2002, 24 November 2012 - 12:07 AM.

TM R7 425 11.5
Callaway Diablo Octane 4W/7W
Nickent 3DX DC 23/26
Ping i25 6-PW w/TFC 189
Nike SV+ 52, 58
Seemore PTM3/Guerin Rife 400 mid mallet

#23 Anser3

Anser3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114013
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Don't worry about it. Just practice when you can. I am in a similar boat. I am a high capper (no official handicap but I don't break 100 too often).  You bought what you want. I have PING S56 irons (custom fit) and last year had KBS C-Taper shafts put in them (X-flex). I previously had the KBS Tour shafts (X flex hard-stepped) but couldn't resist after I saw and hit the C-tapers. I am not a good golfer. I am awful (right now). However, It was my money (and my wife's :)   ) so I bought the irons I wanted.  they are maybe the last set I will buy for  avery long time so I bought exactly what I wanted and will work to improve (don't you hate when your equipment is better than you are? ;)   )  Enjoy your R11's and don't let anyone tell you you should have bought something else. By all rights, I have no business playing Player's irons. But again, I bought what I wanted and am very happy.

That said, I have fewer than 30 rounds my entire life. i started golfing at 18 and haven't played at all since 2008 (only been to the range 5 times or so) because of work, family emergencies, children (one of which passed away, one of which was in a NICU for 90 days-- thankfully the NICU miracle is now 2 and doing well and our three-year old is also very healthy), house projects, wife's medical problems, etc.  

I hit the ball a ton but my short-game needs much work. I did get to a range last year--no rounds played-- and was still hitting the PW 145, (obviously all carry). I have a fast swing speed and have a good ball flight. I just need to improve from 50 yards and in. I am not a good putter but practice that whe I can at home. Once things settle down, I will have more time for golf and can devote the time to get better, then get good, then get great at it. My clubs are screaming to hit some balls and I have the  itch REAL bad.   Congrats on your purchase !  :)

#24 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 995

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

The thing with R11's is that they are borderline-GI irons and once you learn to play with them you can play any iron pretty much.  They won't hide many swing flaws as they have high VCOG, thin sole, and only moderate offset.
TM SLDR S 12*
TM RBZ2 TP 3HL
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#25 tbowles411

tbowles411

Amy Boulden - LET Rookie of the Year

• 19,624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 2253

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

View Postrafal, on 24 November 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

The thing with R11's is that they are borderline-GI irons and once you learn to play with them you can play any iron pretty much.  They won't hide many swing flaws as they have high VCOG, thin sole, and only moderate offset.
THIS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors