Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Laid off, Across the line, Parrallel to target

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rossef2

rossef2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148757
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone he could tell me the pros/cons of each position at the top of the swing? My interest in this is through the fact Haney had woods laid off at the top, which haney has said previously would have a tendancy to hook or block shots if the timing was out. If this is a problem what benefit would it have to have Woods doing this?

Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 mizunostaffer

mizunostaffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2663
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

To me your arms should match the club, and you arms should match your shoulder turn, what this means is that the club is as laid off or as across as your shoulder turn allows. Laid off means your down **** angle is more out to in

#3 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 658

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

For me, the club will want to swing naturally on the downswing to where the club is pointing at the top.  So, if you are dead on plane and right down the line, club parallel to the target line when it is parallel to the ground at the top, then it will swing down straight on plane as well.  If the club is laid off, which would be pointing left of the target when parallel to the ground, it will want to swing left and you will either hook the ball or hold it off and block it to keep it from going left.  If the club is across the line, pointing right of the target when parallel to the ground, it will swing way from inside which also leads to a push block or hook if you flip it.  

Personally, I play better if my club is slightly across the line because it is easier to swing from the inside and I like to draw the ball.  When I am swinging the way I want to, the club points left of the target but it is not parallel to the ground as I like to swing 3/4-ish and stay shorter and more compact.
Ping i25 9.5 PWR 65 Tour X
Adams DHy 18* White Tie X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
TM Tour Preferred 54 - Vokey TVD K 58
Titleist Lightweight, Tour 330B, Ecco
Byron DH89, or Edel or Low Tide Fin

#4 Hoganstriker

Hoganstriker

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205463
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

Not sure how much it matters.  Lots of golfers who are good in all positions depends if you have a good transition.
IMO most good golfers don't swing back stop then swing down.
Transition is most important part of the swing and although it might look like a stop at the top its really a baby u turn happening in terms of how it feels.
Sure some folks do **** it and then fire but to me transition is not a stop and go.
More of a slow down drop it in and continue the move.
I don't like back and forth I like one swing continuing through the spot the ball is located.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors