Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Want to Improve

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 keatonec

keatonec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197990
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I have decided that I want to improve my gold game but don't know exactly where to start and was looking for advice. I normally shoot in the low to mid 90s but really want to start playing better.

The clubs I have right now are some knockoffs that I have been using for a couple of years. They are definitely game improvement clubs and unfortunately I do not know much about my swing speed and what not. I don't like my clubs right now because there is not much feeling to them and was looking for something that if I were to not connect properly I would know it so I could try and improve my game.

I know I should probably take lessons but should I get a new set of clubs and then get fitted before I take the lessons? Or should I take the lessons first and then get fitted for new clubs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 224

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

View Postkeatonec, on 21 November 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

I have decided that I want to improve my gold game but don't know exactly where to start and was looking for advice. I normally shoot in the low to mid 90s but really want to start playing better.

The clubs I have right now are some knockoffs that I have been using for a couple of years. They are definitely game improvement clubs and unfortunately I do not know much about my swing speed and what not. I don't like my clubs right now because there is not much feeling to them and was looking for something that if I were to not connect properly I would know it so I could try and improve my game.

I know I should probably take lessons but should I get a new set of clubs and then get fitted before I take the lessons? Or should I take the lessons first and then get fitted for new clubs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
No.You will need new clubs ,but change your swing before doing so.If you post where you live ,fellow Golfwrx's might be able to make some suggestions on good instructors in your area.

#3 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Agree with russc, but I would recommend exploring the clubs during the lessons with your teacher/fitter.  Hard enough to change your swing, harder still if the clubs don't fit the changes.

#4 HitEmTrue

HitEmTrue

#CALLAWRX2 @HitEmTrue1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93756
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

I mean this with no disrespect....you already know you need to improve, and don't need a different club to tell you this.  You can tell when you mishit the ball, even with a GI club.

#5 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 574

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

View Postgolfsavvy, on 21 November 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Agree with russc, but I would recommend exploring the clubs during the lessons with your teacher/fitter.  Hard enough to change your swing, harder still if the clubs don't fit the changes.

+2

I see this is your first post so welcome to the site from one Canadian to another. Another member on this site that goes by the name of " Thrillhouse " lives in Calgary and might be a good resource for instructors in your area.

Noticed you said you want to improve your " gold " game. I wish my game was gold, but it ain't that's why I have to work for a living :swoon:

Edited by Gbyeball, 22 November 2012 - 06:36 AM.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

#6 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54590
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

This is not very exciting and is not exactly what it sounds like. But I would start by practicing chip shots (hit maybe an 8i 15-20 yards in the air) flush EVERY TIME from a SUPER  tight lie. And do it with perfect impact position - particularly hands ahead of the ball.

While this is not the point it will improve your short game. But more importantly it will help ingrain a proper impact position which will also help your longer game.

dave

#7 keatonec

keatonec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

My game is most definitely not GOLD! Maybe rusty?

I even reread the post to check my spelling! haha

And thanks for the help!

#8 keatonec

keatonec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

I have decided that I am going to take a couple lessons first before I buy new clubs but I am worried that since it is so cold here during the day my clubs might get damaged when I go to the indoor range. They would be sitting in my car for most of the day and the temp gets very cold here (-20 Celsius sometimes).

Would the big increase in temp from the cold to warm damage my clubs or should I just let them warm up first before practicing?

If they were to get damaged though, I would have to get a new set! :D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors