Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Home Club "Big Break" tournament.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Par-A-Medic

Par-A-Medic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179188
  • Ebay ID:swvafiremedic
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I posted a month ago about a private club that is struggling with finance and revenue. We are always looking for new ideas for increased income. To that I bring you this.

Would you play in a "big break" style weekend tournament. Flighted by handicap of course.? What events would you do, how would you lay out the course, prize ideas, etc.

Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 daco81se

daco81se

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52866
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

I would for sure if it was local (but its not as I'm in Houston), we've actually been talking about doing the same thing between the group of 15 or so I play with, so I'll be paying alot of attention to this post to see if/how they end up doing things.
The 2 things that have kept us from putting something together is cost, and finding a course to let us do it.
HAVE to have the chipping into the glass planes, the white line down the fairway (measuring your drive minus how far it is from the line, the closest to the holes from different locations, and the low score on three holes, oh, and some of the team competitions where they rotate players each shot.
If you think about it, as long as you have a course willing to let you do it there, the costs wouldn't be that bad, replacing the glass planes would be the most significant, but that's the main one you'd have to do, probably somebody smarter than I on here that can think of something to instead of breaking the glass that would be cheaper and just as good.

#3 Par-A-Medic

Par-A-Medic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

Oh we have a course I am a member of a private equity club so we can do whatever we like. The glass would be expensive to replace but paper in the frame would not be. Just a roll of tape.  I was thinking leave the back side for the scoring games and the front for the "events" and rotate one half the club does events one day and one half does playing...or you could set it up on a Friday evening and just let everybody who is going to participate follow along as an audience to add pressure and ad to the stories element. It's easier to brag when half the club saw you chip in from 50 yards. We have like most clubs a lot of local connections and a few bigger names so prizes would be easy to get and this would be a good open to public tournament to get new members.

#4 Par-A-Medic

Par-A-Medic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

What would you pay for such a event 50$ 100$

#5 daco81se

daco81se

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

I figured you had a course, you are half way there (BTW-I forgot about the chipping over the wall, that be a good one, yet easy to put together), and you put alot more thought in it than i have, the paper's a good idea, that would great.
Tournaments here are $75 all the way up to $150 (the more expensive usually involve a charity, i.e. I'm playing in one Dec 12 thats $125, but its for a friend of mine with brain cancer, so most of the $ is going to charity), and those are scrambles, and to be honest, people (especially me, are getting kinda tired of those) but I think one like this would be more $75, maybe $100, to pay for setting it up, the golf course (the one's I have put together the course usually charges $35-50 per player), prize $, lunch if included ect. I'd sure pay $100 to compete in one though.

#6 daco81se

daco81se

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

I would think you'd have to have every event count as so many points, the most points wins 1st, 2cd most wins 2cd, ect., versus elimination in some of the events like the BB does. If I paid $75 for a tournament, I'd want to know I was atleast completing all the events instead of getting knocked out on the first one.
The toughest part is figuring out how you would handicap it, easier on the 3 hole best score (just have  handicaped groups of 3-4 playing for the points), but how where you thinking of handicaping the others?

#7 Par-A-Medic

Par-A-Medic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

I was thinking have a team component for the handicap part also. Have a nine hole computer selected best 3/4 balls and give points for this as well. The compute will use caps to balance the teams. That's a format we play a lot anyway. This will also retard a +2 from running away from 10

#8 NickGerst

NickGerst

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117594
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Increasing the income is only half the battle. The P&L doesn’t lie. Do you receive the P&L with bank statements? The most important part is having a creative GM that finds ways to make sure the expenses never exceed income.

#9 Par-A-Medic

Par-A-Medic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostNickGerst, on 24 November 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Increasing the income is only half the battle. The P&L doesn’t lie. Do you receive the P&L with bank statements? The most important part is having a creative GM that finds ways to make sure the expenses never exceed income.

This kind of thing was a huge debate in the previous post. I digress that I don't know enough about the financial state of the club to make any assumptions anymore. That said I know the revenue wouldn't hurt, and we are looking for ideas to increase revenue, increase possible members and maybe boost the very limited play from discount cards. To that would you play in something like this knowing what challenges you would likely see?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors