Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

shaft angle at address?


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 markuscism

markuscism

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196638
  • Joined: 08/06/2012
  • Location:NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Just a quick question.

Why is Tiger's shaft straight up (perpendicular to the ground) at address and Rory's slanted? How do these different methods have an effect on the swing (ball flight?)

Attached Thumbnails

  • Untitled.jpg


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Stryker

Stryker

    Opposing Forces

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127729
  • Joined: 04/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Interested to hear thoughts on this subject. I've been struggling with a 10 yard draw on the end of my iron shots. An instructor saw my setup and I had the shaft leaning like Rory and he said that is a draw position. Moved the shaft back to where Tiger has it and boom, straight as an arrow.

#3 markuscism

markuscism

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196638
  • Joined: 08/06/2012
  • Location:NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

View PostStryker, on 21 November 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

Interested to hear thoughts on this subject. I've been struggling with a 10 yard draw on the end of my iron shots. An instructor saw my setup and I had the shaft leaning like Rory and he said that is a draw position. Moved the shaft back to where Tiger has it and boom, straight as an arrow.

I was just told my Mark Crossfield (link) that they're different because they're using different lofted clubs, ie) Rory's using a higher numbered club so his hands lean forward more. hmmm.

Any other ideas?

#4 markuscism

markuscism

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196638
  • Joined: 08/06/2012
  • Location:NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

bump

#5 Mike Divot

Mike Divot

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181510
  • Joined: 05/17/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

They're different model golfing units, manufactured in different years. Their specs are different.



Why are some players laid off at the top and some not?

Why do some bow their wrists and some cup their wrists?

There is no meaningful answer, other than "we're all individuals".


#6 Cmartingolf

Cmartingolf

    Martin Chuck - Tour Striker Golf Academy

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71538
  • Joined: 12/29/2008
  • Location:The Raven - Phoenix, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 185

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

The ball doesn't care about the club's address position. I've seen great players at address w open faces, shaft leaning, closed faces, shafts backed up. My coaching preference would have the shaft vertical or leaning forward slightly.  Imperative for the golfer to understand that impact is dynamic and much different than address.

#7 Tommy Walter

Tommy Walter

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66572
  • Joined: 09/27/2008
  • Location:28311
  • Ebay ID:6145thomasw
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

There are a couple things to think about. First, is ball position. As the ball gets set further back in your stance the shaft lean towards the target should increase a little bit, based on the ball position alone. I would agree that they are probably using different clubs. Also, Rory is a draw biased player and Tiger is a fade player. That means that typically it is easier to hit a draw with the hands leaned a bit more. A fade will be prominent as the hands lean less. Lets not forget the main thing though... Impact... Address is one thing... but both players have shaft lean at impact... More often than not, address and hand position like this is more of a personal preference. (As Mr. Chuck mentioned above!)
Titleist 915 9.5 D3 AD-BB 6X
Titleist 915 fd 15* AD-BB 7X
714 MB 3-PW KBS Tour X
Vokey SM5 54* & 60* KBS Tour S
Pro V1x
C&L Custom Putter

#8 markuscism

markuscism

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196638
  • Joined: 08/06/2012
  • Location:NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostMike Divot, on 26 November 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

They're different model golfing units, manufactured in different years. Their specs are different.
Why are some players laid off at the top and some not?
Why do some bow their wrists and some cup their wrists?
There is no meaningful answer, other than "we're all individuals".

View PostCmartingolf, on 26 November 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

The ball doesn't care about the club's address position. I've seen great players at address w open faces, shaft leaning, closed faces, shafts backed up. My coaching preference would have the shaft vertical or leaning forward slightly.  Imperative for the golfer to understand that impact is dynamic and much different than address.

View PostTommy Walter, on 26 November 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

There are a couple things to think about. First, is ball position. As the ball gets set further back in your stance the shaft lean towards the target should increase a little bit, based on the ball position alone. I would agree that they are probably using different clubs. Also, Rory is a draw biased player and Tiger is a fade player. That means that typically it is easier to hit a draw with the hands leaned a bit more. A fade will be prominent as the hands lean less. Lets not forget the main thing though... Impact... Address is one thing... but both players have shaft lean at impact... More often than not, address and hand position like this is more of a personal preference. (As Mr. Chuck mentioned above!)

Thank you all for the responses!

Edited by markuscism, 26 November 2012 - 06:54 PM.


#9 Steve_Pratt

Steve_Pratt

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129272
  • Joined: 05/22/2011
  • Location:Southern California
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

I always believe that simpler is better.

Each iron has a correct 'lead' or amount that it needs to be leaning forward at impact for efficient leading edge to turf contact.

If you are straight up and down, like Tiger, at address on all clubs, you would have to find a different lead for every club at some point during the downswing.  This might be possible for Tiger's skill level, but I would argue that the average guy isn't able to do that consistently.

Why not start with the club in its correct lead at address?  You must merely return to the address angle when you swing back through.  You can have one swing for all irons in the bag, not 11 different ones.

#10 Stryker

Stryker

    Opposing Forces

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127729
  • Joined: 04/28/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostSteve_Pratt, on 26 November 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

I always believe that simpler is better.

Each iron has a correct 'lead' or amount that it needs to be leaning forward at impact for efficient leading edge to turf contact.

If you are straight up and down, like Tiger, at address on all clubs, you would have to find a different lead for every club at some point during the downswing.  This might be possible for Tiger's skill level, but I would argue that the average guy isn't able to do that consistently.

Why not start with the club in its correct lead at address?  You must merely return to the address angle when you swing back through.  You can have one swing for all irons in the bag, not 11 different ones.

I don't think this is correct. You are never trying reach your original address position.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 patton307

patton307

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107311
  • Joined: 05/03/2010
  • Location:South Carolina
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I've found that in many ways I'm opposite from conventional wisdom. When I have a forward press I have more of a fade and a straight up neutral position gives me a draw. Also, more shaft lean means a steeper angle of attack and deeper divot.

#12 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Joined: 07/27/2007
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

According to Bobby Clampett, in his book impact zone, he basically says that pre-set / forward press is a matter of preference.  For me, I like the forward press.  I do happen to favor a slight draw with the irons.

#13 CHARGERS

CHARGERS

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34586
  • Joined: 07/14/2007
  • Location:MD
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Rory sets hands right away
Tiger swings it away and then sets it a little later

Rory is way better....nah just kidding!!!
I think its just a style or preference, you might be able to trap the ball and hit it lower with the forward press. Depends on what you do coming down and at impact though.
shorter clubs more press-longer clubs less




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors