Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

5i DG SL shaft snapped off

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 borker

borker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115758
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Was a little nippy out at the evening range session (55 degrees). Hitting off mats (and working on hitting down a bit more). The True Temper DG SL X100 shaft on my 5i snapped in half right under the ferrule where the hosel starts. Sort of embarrassing. Had the head go flying into the range and luckily I was able to find it in the dark after they closed.

So now how do get that shaft piece out of the hosel easily? I can pull heads with heat and having the shaft as a solid place to grip as I pull the heads off, but I can BARELY grab a piece of the broken shaft sticking out of the hosel with pliers.

Searching around it appears this may be the fault of the SL shaft and has happened to others, being a thinner/lighter shaft. Now I fear these shafts doing it while actually on the course.

Edited by borker, 21 November 2012 - 09:03 AM.

Ping i/20 8.5 Project-X Black 6.5
Callaway Steelhead III 3w Uniflex Steel
Bridgestone J36 Combo 3-PW DG X100
Nicklaus Dual Slot wedges 52 & 58
Ping Scottsdale TR Tatum Putter 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 robert horneman

robert horneman

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108779
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

You are right,SL'S are thin walled and could break when hitting off mats.

You need a vise,rubber vise pads or a rubber shaft clamp, an easy out and a heat gun or torch.
Drill out any epoxy , apply heat, insert your easy out by tapping it in and twist the shaft out.

Come back if you have any ?'s about installing a new shaft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors