Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Shorter driver shaft = more loft?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bellairemi

bellairemi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5851
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

I wanted to tinker again with a steel driver shaft (used to play all steel) at 43.5".  Would playing a shorter driver shaft generally require a little higher loft given that I will be shortening the swing radius?  I saw just the opposite argued in the long Robopti thread but that runs counter to what I remember from my clubmaker training (albeit decades ago now).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 keyser

keyser

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8384
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Any dynamic affect difference of the shafts will be minute compared to the difference in how you swing them.

#3 bellairemi

bellairemi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5851
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

I was thinking more about length than shaft construction - I have never been able to change my launch angle by more about 1* and 200 rpms with a shaft.  Maybe you are saying the same applies to 43.5 versus 45 (assuming fairly center contact on both)?  Or maybe there is no hard and fast rule about shortening club length and loft?

Thanks

View Postkeyser, on 21 November 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

Any dynamic affect difference of the shafts will be minute compared to the difference in how you swing them.

#4 TLT_Dan

TLT_Dan

TLT_DAN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43988
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

I would continue to play the loft that gives me my optimum launch angle. The length will not affect the launch much.

Shortening the club may reduce the swing speed a bit, but more on center hits can result in increased distance.

The heavier steel shaft will keep the total weight and swing weight up a bit - to compensate for the reduced length.

I say - go for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors