Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Rusty Putters- good or bad?


50 replies to this topic

#1 MPellow

MPellow

    Marty White

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116163
  • Joined: 10/14/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

I love rusted wedges so much I am getting a set of irons rawed out so I have a full set.

I was wondering about getting a putter rawed too but not sure how it would effect playability.

Would it make it softer? Would the rust in the face negatively affect putts?

Ti Nike Dymo 380 10.5* BB Stiff
Ti Nike SQ2  15* Voodoo XVS7
Ti Nike VRS Hybrid 21* X-Flex Speeder
Ti Nike VR Split Protos 2-PW
Ti Nike VR Forged 52/57
Acushnet Bullseye

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1

#2 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
  • Location:Euharlee, GA
GolfWRX Likes : 1678

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Unless you try to rapidly rust it and create uneven spots, no it wouldn't effect it one iota. You could raw it and then to get the deep rich brown, either do a coffee treatment or use plum brown. That way its controlled in the color you're looking for and will get that color for you until you develop natural rust.

2

#3 tmfool

tmfool

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Joined: 06/21/2008
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 544

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostMPellow, on 21 November 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

I love rusted wedges so much I am getting a set of irons rawed out so I have a full set.

I was wondering about getting a putter rawed too but not sure how it would effect playability.

Would it make it softer? Would the rust in the face negatively affect putts?

great idea....
i'm in similar boat. post your results
Tour Preferred MC 6-PW C-Taper 120
UDI 1-3-4-5 C-Taper lite
TP EF 52-ATV & 56-15 C-Taper 120
Rescue TP 15* Steelfiber i110
SLDR 430 12* (toe weight) Matrix 60X
Yonex Super ADX chocolate refinish
Snell MTB

3

#4 mshills

mshills

    Consistently inconsistent.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
  • Joined: 09/13/2011
  • Location:Sunny Miami
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 871

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

If you like the way it looks, go for it. Doing this will not negatively affect putts, nor will it make the putter feel softer.

I like the idea of the coffee grounds treatment.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg, Fubuki ZT60
TEE CB2 15 deg, Motore
Ping Rapture 18 deg hybrid
Ping G10 4i-UW
Scor 53 and 57 deg
Cleveland Almost Belly putter

4

#5 hebron1427

hebron1427

    Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
  • Joined: 09/05/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

A rusty putter screams "I don't take care of my stuff." just like a guy who doesn't keep the headcovers on and ends up with a ton of bag chatter. I understand the idea of trying to get that relic look, but it should be done professionally abd artfully, and rusting it out is neither. I would go with oil can or plum brown 1000 times over true rust.


5

#6 Chappie

Chappie

    Let's play sometime!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78190
  • Joined: 03/23/2009
  • Location:Norristown, PA
  • Ebay ID:thechappie
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Oil canned putters are really the same as rusted putters. They are both oxidations of raw carbon steel, just different results. One is a chemical reaction controlled by the person applying the finish, while the other is natural oxidation that occurs when you leave carbon steel untreated.
D - JDM SLDR 9*
3w - RBZ Stage 2 tour
5w - r7 tp 17.5*
3h - RBZ stage 2 tour
4-PW - R9 TP "b"
54* - Srixon WG-706 custom grind
60* - Nike VR Forged
P - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6

#7 SC-TX 88

SC-TX 88

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258742
  • Joined: 06/25/2013
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

View Postmshills, on 22 November 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

If you like the way it looks, go for it. Doing this will not negatively affect putts, nor will it make the putter feel softer.

I like the idea of the coffee grounds treatment.

I've been trying the coffee treatment on a raw carbon Scotty newport classic. I've had the putter in used grounds for about two weeks now and went to check on it this evening and saw no real browning. Any tips or steps I should follow?
915 D3 9.5 w/Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
M1 15 w/Motore Speeder 8.2 TS  
915F 18 degree w/Rombax P95S
716 T-MB 3 w/AD-DI 105x
716 T-MB 4-9 w/PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM6 46.08F, Raw SM6 50.08F, Raw SM5 54.10S, Raw Handground 60V (46 PX LZ 6.5, 50/54/60 DGTI S400)
Piretti GSS Pontenza With SS Flatso 1.0

7

#8 artsmart73

artsmart73

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138770
  • Joined: 09/08/2011
  • Location:Jacksonville, Fl.
  • Handicap:8.4
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostSC-TX 88, on 25 February 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

View Postmshills, on 22 November 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

If you like the way it looks, go for it. Doing this will not negatively affect putts, nor will it make the putter feel softer.

I like the idea of the coffee grounds treatment.

I've been trying the coffee treatment on a raw carbon Scotty newport classic. I've had the putter in used grounds for about two weeks now and went to check on it this evening and saw no real browning. Any tips or steps I should follow?


Take it out so it can oxidize.
Titleist 910 D2 9.5* Rip 60 2.9
Titleist 910 Fd 15* ahina
Titleist 910 H 21* kai'l
Titleist 712 U 4 Iron Project X 5.5
Mizuno MP 57 5-9 Project X 5.5
Titleist 735/PW/Miura Y-52/SM4 56.11/SM5 60 K Grind
Bettinardi BB1
WITB Link

8

#9 SC-TX 88

SC-TX 88

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258742
  • Joined: 06/25/2013
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

View Postartsmart73, on 26 February 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

View PostSC-TX 88, on 25 February 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

View Postmshills, on 22 November 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

If you like the way it looks, go for it. Doing this will not negatively affect putts, nor will it make the putter feel softer.

I like the idea of the coffee grounds treatment.

I've been trying the coffee treatment on a raw carbon Scotty newport classic. I've had the putter in used grounds for about two weeks now and went to check on it this evening and saw no real browning. Any tips or steps I should follow?


Take it out so it can oxidize.

Thanks!
915 D3 9.5 w/Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
M1 15 w/Motore Speeder 8.2 TS  
915F 18 degree w/Rombax P95S
716 T-MB 3 w/AD-DI 105x
716 T-MB 4-9 w/PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM6 46.08F, Raw SM6 50.08F, Raw SM5 54.10S, Raw Handground 60V (46 PX LZ 6.5, 50/54/60 DGTI S400)
Piretti GSS Pontenza With SS Flatso 1.0

9

#10 shaffe

shaffe

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158869
  • Joined: 01/30/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 906

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

View Posthebron1427, on 22 November 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

I understand the idea of trying to get that relic look, but it should be done professionally abd artfully, and rusting it out is neither.

I realize this post is over a year old, but this comment made me chuckle.

No golfer with an ounce of respect would be caught with a putter that was not professionally and artfully done (takes sip of tea with pinky dangling in the air)!

:)

Edited by shaffe, 26 February 2014 - 02:51 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#11 TheInfidel

TheInfidel

    Gotta let the Big Dog eat....

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264528
  • Joined: 07/17/2013
  • Location:Scotland
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:50 AM

What are the prime candidates for rusting out a putter, Circa 62s, Santa Fes, Tels, ?
Taylormade R15 Black UST V2 X (set down from 12* to 10*)
Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X
Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid +1 X
Ben Hogan Apex FTX True Temper X100 4-E
Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl 52*
Nike VR Dual Sole 56*
Titleist Vokey SM4 Oil Can 60
Odyssey WHP 7 CS / Wilson TPA XVIII

11

#12 bladehunter

bladehunter

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5609

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

awesome...another chance to throw up a couple pics of my rusty girl.... I call it character...patina... a reminder of my youth... Owned this girl since 1998ish ....
Yonex Ezone 380 9 Diamana Whiteboard 73X
Adams XTD Ti 13.5 Aldila Tour blue 75TX
Callaway Legacy Black 3 iron Aldila Tour Green 105 TX
Callaway Legacy Black 4-pw Modus 130X
Callaway satin PM grind 51 Modus 130X raw PM grind 56 px 6.5  & raw PM grind 61 px 6.5
Cameron Newport Tour (small T stamp) 350G  longneck  
Titleist Sta-Dry stand bag

12

#13 jrich61820

jrich61820

    The putter wisper(er)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215815
  • Joined: 12/13/2012
  • Location:USA!
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:jeremy61849
GolfWRX Likes : 785

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 07 May 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

awesome...another chance to throw up a couple pics of my rusty girl.... I call it character...patina... a reminder of my youth... Owned this girl since 1998ish ....
Love that putter Jack!
Titleist 915D2 GD Tour AD-I 7X
Titleist 915F15 Diamanna Stiff
Titleist 915H 19 Aldila Rouge Stiff
    670 MB S300 (4-PW)
Cold Forged Vokey Wedges (52,56,60) S200
Richards RT-1 Tour Hand Stamped 1of1

13

#14 jrich61820

jrich61820

    The putter wisper(er)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215815
  • Joined: 12/13/2012
  • Location:USA!
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:jeremy61849
GolfWRX Likes : 785

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

I love a naturally patina on a putter ( Not a rusty putter )  see the 009 below, I'm also a big fan of the Plumb Brown finish on a putter:)


like others have said, it will not effect the putters performance at all, and it looks freaking amazing:)
Titleist 915D2 GD Tour AD-I 7X
Titleist 915F15 Diamanna Stiff
Titleist 915H 19 Aldila Rouge Stiff
    670 MB S300 (4-PW)
Cold Forged Vokey Wedges (52,56,60) S200
Richards RT-1 Tour Hand Stamped 1of1

14

#15 joey2aces

joey2aces

    random you say?

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266330
  • Joined: 07/25/2013
  • Location:Syracuse, NY
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4557

Posted 07 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

View Postjrich61820, on 07 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

I love a naturally patina on a putter ( Not a rusty putter )  see the 009 below, I'm also a big fan of the Plumb Brown finish on a putter:)
Attachment FullSizeRender.jpg
Attachment 10665881_784543561660010_8299554257720661724_n.jpg
like others have said, it will not effect the putters performance at all, and it looks freaking amazing:)

why you showing off my baby????  haha

M1 PX HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
PXG 3W PX HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
PXG 0311 Pro Modus3 Tour 105s 4-P
PXG 0311 50* KBS tour 120
Scratch 53 57 Nippon WV 125
PXG 03x 60*
Scotty Cameron 009 (HHH/RAT)





WITB Link

15

#16 bladehunter

bladehunter

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5609

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

View Postjrich61820, on 07 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

I love a naturally patina on a putter ( Not a rusty putter )  see the 009 below, I'm also a big fan of the Plumb Brown finish on a putter:)
Attachment FullSizeRender.jpg
Attachment 10665881_784543561660010_8299554257720661724_n.jpg
like others have said, it will not effect the putters performance at all, and it looks freaking amazing:)


absolutely.... mine is that way by happenstance .....but has too many memories attached to refinish...I just oil and store...but I may get her out for a whirl soon... still to this day the best feeling putter ive ever held... solid face with no cavity on the 350G newports just makes a difference to me....but it may also be in my head too..lol
Yonex Ezone 380 9 Diamana Whiteboard 73X
Adams XTD Ti 13.5 Aldila Tour blue 75TX
Callaway Legacy Black 3 iron Aldila Tour Green 105 TX
Callaway Legacy Black 4-pw Modus 130X
Callaway satin PM grind 51 Modus 130X raw PM grind 56 px 6.5  & raw PM grind 61 px 6.5
Cameron Newport Tour (small T stamp) 350G  longneck  
Titleist Sta-Dry stand bag

16

#17 bladehunter

bladehunter

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5609

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:00 PM

View Postjoey2aces, on 07 May 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

View Postjrich61820, on 07 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

I love a naturally patina on a putter ( Not a rusty putter )  see the 009 below, I'm also a big fan of the Plumb Brown finish on a putter:)
Attachment FullSizeRender.jpg
Attachment 10665881_784543561660010_8299554257720661724_n.jpg
like others have said, it will not effect the putters performance at all, and it looks freaking amazing:)

why you showing off my baby????  haha



joey please, please don't refinish that 009!!!!   I would have loved to have had that one...I think its perfect...naked... patina... toe stamp... what else could you want!!!!
Yonex Ezone 380 9 Diamana Whiteboard 73X
Adams XTD Ti 13.5 Aldila Tour blue 75TX
Callaway Legacy Black 3 iron Aldila Tour Green 105 TX
Callaway Legacy Black 4-pw Modus 130X
Callaway satin PM grind 51 Modus 130X raw PM grind 56 px 6.5  & raw PM grind 61 px 6.5
Cameron Newport Tour (small T stamp) 350G  longneck  
Titleist Sta-Dry stand bag

17

#18 joey2aces

joey2aces

    random you say?

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266330
  • Joined: 07/25/2013
  • Location:Syracuse, NY
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4557

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

View Postbladehunter, on 07 May 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

View Postjoey2aces, on 07 May 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

View Postjrich61820, on 07 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

I love a naturally patina on a putter ( Not a rusty putter )  see the 009 below, I'm also a big fan of the Plumb Brown finish on a putter:)
Attachment FullSizeRender.jpg
Attachment 10665881_784543561660010_8299554257720661724_n.jpg
like others have said, it will not effect the putters performance at all, and it looks freaking amazing:)

why you showing off my baby????  haha



joey please, please don't refinish that 009!!!!   I would have loved to have had that one...I think its perfect...naked... patina... toe stamp... what else could you want!!!!

I don't plan on refinishing it. I learned today that Scotty doesn't even offer the oil can refinish any longer and if I want them to refinish it I would either have to chose pro platinum or classic black and neither of those I like. I did contact BOS and they said that they still retain the original formula used for these putters and when their 10 year exclusivity contract ended with Titleist they took the formula with them. So, although I love the look of a new putter I think this one will going to stay how it is.
If anything I will be sending it to Scotty for a COA... although I would have to settle for a yellow border COA since the grip has been replaced. Anyway, it is going to get gamed... this and my Byron will have plenty a duel on the course. The only question is... which one do I  travel with???!??!??

And I happen to have a pretty cool Scotty cover that will be used on this.... although I wouldn't mind trying to find a different one to put on it. I have a Circle T T10 BB coming and was thinking of keeping that cover for the 009 but I will probably need to sell those two together... keep an eye out on BST for that beauty... ;)

Edited by joey2aces, 07 May 2015 - 01:51 PM.

M1 PX HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
PXG 3W PX HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
PXG 0311 Pro Modus3 Tour 105s 4-P
PXG 0311 50* KBS tour 120
Scratch 53 57 Nippon WV 125
PXG 03x 60*
Scotty Cameron 009 (HHH/RAT)





WITB Link

18

#19 bladehunter

bladehunter

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5609

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

Lol.  Yep.  Will do.  That's  just such a striking putter.  Not because of mr Spieth.  But because it's the anti Cameron not the "look at me" 009 everyone else has. It says I'm all banged up , I'm a street fighter , "I've sank more putts than you've rolled" .... And I love it!
Yonex Ezone 380 9 Diamana Whiteboard 73X
Adams XTD Ti 13.5 Aldila Tour blue 75TX
Callaway Legacy Black 3 iron Aldila Tour Green 105 TX
Callaway Legacy Black 4-pw Modus 130X
Callaway satin PM grind 51 Modus 130X raw PM grind 56 px 6.5  & raw PM grind 61 px 6.5
Cameron Newport Tour (small T stamp) 350G  longneck  
Titleist Sta-Dry stand bag

19

#20 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
  • Joined: 03/01/2008
  • Location:Euharlee, GA
GolfWRX Likes : 1678

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

View Postjoey2aces, on 07 May 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 07 May 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

View Postjoey2aces, on 07 May 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

View Postjrich61820, on 07 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

I love a naturally patina on a putter ( Not a rusty putter )  see the 009 below, I'm also a big fan of the Plumb Brown finish on a putter:)
Attachment FullSizeRender.jpg
Attachment 10665881_784543561660010_8299554257720661724_n.jpg
like others have said, it will not effect the putters performance at all, and it looks freaking amazing:)

why you showing off my baby????  haha



joey please, please don't refinish that 009!!!!   I would have loved to have had that one...I think its perfect...naked... patina... toe stamp... what else could you want!!!!

I don't plan on refinishing it. I learned today that Scotty doesn't even offer the oil can refinish any longer and if I want them to refinish it I would either have to chose pro platinum or classic black and neither of those I like. I did contact BOS and they said that they still retain the original formula used for these putters and when their 10 year exclusivity contract ended with Titleist they took the formula with them. So, although I love the look of a new putter I think this one will going to stay how it is.
If anything I will be sending it to Scotty for a COA... although I would have to settle for a yellow border COA since the grip has been replaced. Anyway, it is going to get gamed... this and my Byron will have plenty a duel on the course. The only question is... which one do I  travel with???!??!??

And I happen to have a pretty cool Scotty cover that will be used on this.... although I wouldn't mind trying to find a different one to put on it. I have a Circle T T10 BB coming and was thinking of keeping that cover for the 009 but I will probably need to sell those two together... keep an eye out on BST for that beauty... ;)

I was depressed when I got on at work and saw that had went so quick... I've been looking for a rusty old beat up gamer 009 lately...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 TheInfidel

TheInfidel

    Gotta let the Big Dog eat....

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264528
  • Joined: 07/17/2013
  • Location:Scotland
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:00 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 07 May 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

awesome...another chance to throw up a couple pics of my rusty girl.... I call it character...patina... a reminder of my youth... Owned this girl since 1998ish ....

If I saw this lurking in your bag I wouldn't be putting down a single $1 on the first tee.  This tells me one thing:

Not one damn was given to the looks, Im all about dropping putts from 50 feet and in.  Danger Will Robinson.*


* - Though I think the patina looks awesome.  

Edited by TheInfidel, 08 May 2015 - 03:01 AM.

Taylormade R15 Black UST V2 X (set down from 12* to 10*)
Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X
Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid +1 X
Ben Hogan Apex FTX True Temper X100 4-E
Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl 52*
Nike VR Dual Sole 56*
Titleist Vokey SM4 Oil Can 60
Odyssey WHP 7 CS / Wilson TPA XVIII

21

#22 Russ757

Russ757

    Oooh baby.. thats the spot

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52489
  • Joined: 03/29/2008
  • Location:Chesapeake, VA
GolfWRX Likes : 1140

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:25 AM

I'm abt to send some ztx 2s to get raw and maybe thinking ill send my 9 x milled in as well
Cobra F6+  10*  Elements Chrome 6F5T
Cobra Baffler 16* Elements Chrome 7F5T
Cleveland 588 MT 3 & 4 / 745 / 945 110  Fibers ssx1
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 51* / 55* / 59* 125  Fibers
Custom Cameron Del Mar
WITB Link

Cobra Bio Cell Pro Rogue 60 Silver
Cobra Bio Cell 3/4 Rogue 70 Silver
Cobra Bio Cell 5/7 Rogue 80 Black
Stripped Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52* / 56* / 60* 125 Fibers

22

#23 bladehunter

bladehunter

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5609

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

View PostTheInfidel, on 08 May 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 07 May 2015 - 07:35 AM, said:

awesome...another chance to throw up a couple pics of my rusty girl.... I call it character...patina... a reminder of my youth... Owned this girl since 1998ish ....

If I saw this lurking in your bag I wouldn't be putting down a single $1 on the first tee.  This tells me one thing:

Not one damn was given to the looks, Im all about dropping putts from 50 feet and in.  Danger Will Robinson.*


* - Though I think the patina looks awesome.  

its kind of funny... I have had that Newport since I was working as a school kid at a local course and found it there mowing greens one morning... no headcover when I found it... well being a kid I used it until 2014 without a headcover... then I joined this site and realized what I had.... lol   33/350G oilcan that was beat to hell and back.... whats funny is im super picky about headcovers on woods etc.... all my other clubs are cleaned and covered religiously.. not irons mind you , but I do clean and care for them after every use..   Im now carrying a Mann Ma/66 counter balance ..which I love and still looks new after a whole winters use..    But my Newport is now more prized than any because of the many memories attached... I threaten to put her back in a lot..I even bought an NOS black titleist cord grip for her and haven't installed it YET... you should see the original black cord that's on her.... slickest grip ive ever seen  has my hand prints visible and you can feel them as sort of a "reminder" of where to place the hands..... chunks missing out of it and all....
Yonex Ezone 380 9 Diamana Whiteboard 73X
Adams XTD Ti 13.5 Aldila Tour blue 75TX
Callaway Legacy Black 3 iron Aldila Tour Green 105 TX
Callaway Legacy Black 4-pw Modus 130X
Callaway satin PM grind 51 Modus 130X raw PM grind 56 px 6.5  & raw PM grind 61 px 6.5
Cameron Newport Tour (small T stamp) 350G  longneck  
Titleist Sta-Dry stand bag

23

#24 jrich61820

jrich61820

    The putter wisper(er)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215815
  • Joined: 12/13/2012
  • Location:USA!
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:jeremy61849
GolfWRX Likes : 785

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:15 AM

View PostRookieBlue7, on 07 May 2015 - 07:52 PM, said:

View Postjoey2aces, on 07 May 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 07 May 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

View Postjoey2aces, on 07 May 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

View Postjrich61820, on 07 May 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

I love a naturally patina on a putter ( Not a rusty putter )  see the 009 below, I'm also a big fan of the Plumb Brown finish on a putter:)
Attachment FullSizeRender.jpg
Attachment 10665881_784543561660010_8299554257720661724_n.jpg
like others have said, it will not effect the putters performance at all, and it looks freaking amazing:)

why you showing off my baby????  haha



joey please, please don't refinish that 009!!!!   I would have loved to have had that one...I think its perfect...naked... patina... toe stamp... what else could you want!!!!

I don't plan on refinishing it. I learned today that Scotty doesn't even offer the oil can refinish any longer and if I want them to refinish it I would either have to chose pro platinum or classic black and neither of those I like. I did contact BOS and they said that they still retain the original formula used for these putters and when their 10 year exclusivity contract ended with Titleist they took the formula with them. So, although I love the look of a new putter I think this one will going to stay how it is.
If anything I will be sending it to Scotty for a COA... although I would have to settle for a yellow border COA since the grip has been replaced. Anyway, it is going to get gamed... this and my Byron will have plenty a duel on the course. The only question is... which one do I  travel with???!??!??

And I happen to have a pretty cool Scotty cover that will be used on this.... although I wouldn't mind trying to find a different one to put on it. I have a Circle T T10 BB coming and was thinking of keeping that cover for the 009 but I will probably need to sell those two together... keep an eye out on BST for that beauty... ;)

I was depressed when I got on at work and saw that had went so quick... I've been looking for a rusty old beat up gamer 009 lately...
In the putters defense, she only looks beat up, the head, it's self, is in PERFECT condition, not a ding or dent to be found, just the finish wear.
I hesitated to sell this beauty, but i can't justify having 2 of them:)
Joe has an absolute Gem on his hands now:)
Jrich
Titleist 915D2 GD Tour AD-I 7X
Titleist 915F15 Diamanna Stiff
Titleist 915H 19 Aldila Rouge Stiff
    670 MB S300 (4-PW)
Cold Forged Vokey Wedges (52,56,60) S200
Richards RT-1 Tour Hand Stamped 1of1

24

#25 Manz60

Manz60

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54828
  • Joined: 05/01/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

putters do have loft so if rust adds to surface roughness it could add unwanted backspin.

Hope this helps
M60


25

#26 Badgergolfer2

Badgergolfer2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190300
  • Joined: 07/04/2012
  • Location:Columbus, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 247

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:34 AM

View PostManz60, on 08 May 2015 - 08:54 PM, said:

putters do have loft so if rust adds to surface roughness it could add unwanted backspin.

Hope this helps
M60
Thats great other than the fact that the notion that rust adds roughness which adds spin has been shot down and proven false over a million times.

26

#27 PDoN

PDoN

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 236811
  • Joined: 03/12/2013
  • Location:The Volunteer State
  • Ebay ID:pdon_2
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

I can't post in the shiny putters thread, so I'll put these up here. ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1431211896.765133.jpg ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1431211911.981015.jpg ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1431211927.714486.jpg
Superfast 1.0 TP
913 FD 15*
Rocketbladez Tour 3-P
Red Saw Vokeys
Scotty Select Squareback

27

#28 Russ757

Russ757

    Oooh baby.. thats the spot

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52489
  • Joined: 03/29/2008
  • Location:Chesapeake, VA
GolfWRX Likes : 1140

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

View PostPDoN, on 09 May 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:


you just sold me. Im gonna see if I can raw a protype 9

Edited by Russ757, 09 May 2015 - 06:08 PM.

Cobra F6+  10*  Elements Chrome 6F5T
Cobra Baffler 16* Elements Chrome 7F5T
Cleveland 588 MT 3 & 4 / 745 / 945 110  Fibers ssx1
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 51* / 55* / 59* 125  Fibers
Custom Cameron Del Mar
WITB Link

Cobra Bio Cell Pro Rogue 60 Silver
Cobra Bio Cell 3/4 Rogue 70 Silver
Cobra Bio Cell 5/7 Rogue 80 Black
Stripped Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52* / 56* / 60* 125 Fibers

28

#29 Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler

    Play it down from the Tips

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82242
  • Joined: 05/06/2009
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

I love old rusty Scotty Cameron putters. Heck many people try all sorts of things to get the "rusty" look. That's why the post was created.... It's appealing.

29

#30 TheInfidel

TheInfidel

    Gotta let the Big Dog eat....

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 264528
  • Joined: 07/17/2013
  • Location:Scotland
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:32 AM

How many of us on here saw Ogilvy's patina scotty on the WRX homepage and thought " you know what - that's awesome!" ?

Edited by TheInfidel, 11 May 2015 - 06:32 AM.

Taylormade R15 Black UST V2 X (set down from 12* to 10*)
Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X
Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid +1 X
Ben Hogan Apex FTX True Temper X100 4-E
Cleveland CG15 Black Pearl 52*
Nike VR Dual Sole 56*
Titleist Vokey SM4 Oil Can 60
Odyssey WHP 7 CS / Wilson TPA XVIII

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors