Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Tour Striker Academy review

tour striker golf instruction golf

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DaveZ

DaveZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136197
  • Ebay ID:supahd
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Hello Golfwrx, longtime lurker here.

I'd like to share my experience with you regarding the Tour Striker academy I recently completed while its fresh in my mind to give other, potentially interested folks some insight.

First lets start with a bit about myself.. serious addiction to golf but lacked the information/skills to consistently play to my ability.  Handicap probably somewhere around 20.. sometimes better but regularly in that neighborhood.  My Golfshot app says 18.3 currently.  Anyway, I've had some periods of good ball striking in the past, developed a prettly natural swing on my own then joined a league and it fell apart.  Watched too much Golf Fix and read too many magazines.. had theories from different swings all mashed together and it was a wreck.  I check this forum fairly often for information and ran across the tour striker thread and ordered one.  I understood the concept and thought it would be easy to master but that was a bit arrogant.  I worked with the club though and did see results but had a feeling there was more going on with my woes then just hitting down on the ball.  I setup a video analysis with Martin and he informed me that my clubface was wide open at the top, he was right.  I watched videos on the grip and adjusted mine so the heel pad was on top of the grip, this helped as well but I still had issues anyway.  I watched alot of Martin's videos on Youtube and really liked the way he explained techniques, it was clear and made sense to me, but I felt I wasn't going to get where I wanted without someone like Martin looking at my swing in person.  I've struggled long enough with my game and after seeing the academy thread here decided if I had a week to get out to Phoenix I would do it, and I did.

The Academy is a three day course that covers putter to driver, with my game I figured it wouldn't hurt to cover the spectrum.  Showed up Friday morning, a little tired from a long drive the day before but excited to get to work.  We promptly went out to the range and I hit some shots with my irons while the camera was running.  It was pretty obvious I was a slicer from the get go.. my grip was fine but I was letting my left wrist go cuppy on my backswing letting the face get wide open and I didn't fix it on the downswing either.  In 3 hours I started getting the feel for a more solid face condition and was hitting some awesome shots... shots that I've NEVER hit before.. I mean I've hit shots that draw but almost magically I was striking these with forward shaft lean and getting piercing shots.  I'm a fairly laid back person and not prone to hyperbole but on the inside I was flipping out.  The day consisted of various irons and drills to work on wrist conditions as well as not being too steep as I sometimes dig a ditch.  Played a couple holes and some of my slice started to creep in on longer clubs but all in all a really really productive day.

Day 2;  Started out warming up with some irons, still tring to internalize the feel and positions for proper striking/attack angle/post impact.  We pull out the driver and start working on aiming/target path/swing path/shaping the ball.  I hit a ton of balls on day 2 and started seeing some consistency, still had setbacks but I expect it and stay patient.  I'm learning all kinds of drills to reinforce the proper feels/positions.

Day 3:  Martin shows up bright eyed and energized in the morning, I'm beat up from the feet up but gotta appreciate the enthusiasm and it gets me excited to get going.  Start with warm up, then some irons and we go back and forth from irons to driver.  My alignments are getting a bit better, I'm understanding the logic behind what I'm doing.  It's not taking as long to make a swing.. things are coming along.  We focus on driver intensely for awhile and I start to hit some nice draws.   I get ahold of one that draws just a wee bit and just hangs in the sky,  Martin says "Thats the best drive I've seen you hit since you've been here"  It was.. and probably the best drive I've ever hit to be honest.   He goes over bunker play, fairway bunker, low point drills, chipping and pitching.. did I mention it was 80 degrees most of the time?  I was drenched, but determined to absorb everything I could.  The final day was a tremendous amount of knowledge gained and reinforced.  I have videos over the course of the entire academy that I can go back to if I need to check something or look at ANYTHING related to my golf game.  Pretty awesome to gain a big step in the understanding of the game but on top of that I don't have to worry about forgetting any details down the road.

Throughout the entire academy Martin was calm, patient and just an excellent instuctor.  I know I don't post on here very often but I feel that I've found such awesome resources here and I wanted to share something back with the site.  I have every confidence that my game is going to the next level now... and hopefully with practice a few more.

Here are a couple videos from my time there:

I played a 18 hole round the day after the academy wrapped, to be honest I was a bit nervous with all the new info but I decided to not care about score. I wanted to avoid slicing at all costs and did so for probably 80% of my shots which is a different game for me already.

Hope you guys/gals find this useful.

Thanks,
Dave

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 580

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

Great write up and review. As you have found out there is NO substitute for good personal instruction. Two things I would suggest,  spend as much time as you can on the range practising what you have been taught so you can really start to ingrain the new moves and feel. Next would be to do follow:up online video lessons with them so you can keep making progress. Kudos to you for putting in the time and effort to do what it takes to get better, alot of people don't or won't and just whine about their current condition.Enjoy hitting those elusive draws that are nirvana for a long term fader.
Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

#3 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 746

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostDaveZ, on 21 November 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

I'd like to share my experience with you regarding the Tour Striker academy I recently completed while its fresh in my mind to give other, potentially interested folks some insight.

Thanks,
Dave

4 Total Posts on the Forum, all in support of Tour Striker?

#4 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 1124

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

Great to hear such a positive review. Martin is not only a wonderful teacher, but he has been a HUGE help to the teaching community. I don't know where he finds the time to help so many of us, and he doesn't get the recognition he deserves...

Kevin
I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
========================================
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE

#5 Cmartingolf

Cmartingolf

Martin Chuck - Tour Striker Golf Academy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71538
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostBrianL99, on 21 November 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

View PostDaveZ, on 21 November 2012 - 12:21 AM, said:

Thanks,
Dave

Brian, Dave is my uncle;) Just kidding. You've post 641 times on GolfWrx. If you visit and don't have a great time, learn a ton and be thoroughly impressed with the presentation and content, no charge. In fact that promise and guarantee goes to any member of GolfWRX that wants to visit.

DAVE: Great to meet you and thanks for the kind words. I look forward to hearing all about your advancements with the game. You'll do amazing.

#6 Cmartingolf

Cmartingolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

View Postkevcarter, on 21 November 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

Great to hear such a positive review. Martin is not only a wonderful teacher, but he has been a HUGE help to the teaching community. I don't know where he finds the time to help so many of us, and he doesn't get the recognition he deserves...

Kevin

Kevin, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. Hope all is well at your new gig. You have to incorporate the Homer Simpson logo into your new avatar:)

#7 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• 10,695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 1124

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostCmartingolf, on 21 November 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

View Postkevcarter, on 21 November 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

Kevin

Kevin, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. Hope all is well at your new gig. You have to incorporate the Homer Simpson logo into your new avatar:)

LOL!!!

I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE

#8 swanry30

swanry30

Lights Out

• 3,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14598
  • Ebay ID:swanry30
GolfWRX Likes : 336

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

what a great opportunity!  martin is a great instructor but an even better person - you have a friend for life!
Nike CT 2.0 10.5* - Motore Speeder 7.2TS
Nike CT 2.0 15* - Motore Speeder 8.2TS
Nike CP 17* hybrid - TOUR AD DI 95x
Nike 2014 Split Cavity 3-PW - PX 6.5
Nike MOD 30 - SS Flatso Ultra 1.1
Nike Raw VR Forged 54.12 / 58.10
WITB Link

#9 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

From viewing Martin's videos and reading and asking him him questions on Golfwrx,three things stand out.First is that he understands the golf swing and can quickly diagnose swing faults.Second , he really wants to help his students progress and third and maybe the most important is that he CLEARLY  communicates  effective and SIMPLE ways to achieve this progress.

Edited by russc, 21 November 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#10 tommykrebs

tommykrebs

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128692
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Martin, I have one question. You said in the analysis that his backswing is textbook. I have never seen a tour pro (except Kuchar) swinging the club back like Dave. Why is this textbook?

No offend, I'm just curious.

[attachment=1427229:one plane.gif]

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 DaveZ

DaveZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

View Postrussc, on 21 November 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

From viewing Martin's videos and reading and asking him him questions on Golfwrx,three things stand out.First is that he understands the golf swing and can quickly diagnose swing faults.Second , he really wants to help his students progress and third and maybe the most important is that he CLEARLY  communicates  effective and SIMPLE ways to achieve this progress.

That is exactly why I went there, I realized through the years of friends trying to help.. reading magazines.. even getting local lessons that you can hear the same thing many different ways and its still possible for it to not be clear for your own understanding.

Martin, thanks again I really enjoyed the process.

Dave

#12 DaveZ

DaveZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Great write up and review. As you have found out there is NO substitute for good personal instruction. Two things I would suggest,  spend as much time as you can on the range practising what you have been taught so you can really start to ingrain the new moves and feel. Next would be to do follow:up online video lessons with them so you can keep making progress. Kudos to you for putting in the time and effort to do what it takes to get better, alot of people don't or won't and just whine about their current condition.Enjoy hitting those elusive draws that are nirvana for a long term fader.

Definitely the plan of action, I've learned a few solid ways to practice whereas normally I'd hit a bucket without a narrow focus of what I was trying to accomplish.  I'm thinking about getting a range pass to a nearby course, it will probably be more economical in the long run.

Brian, yea I think my other posts were in the tour striker thread and obviously this is regarding the academy.  I don't really shoot the breeze randomly but I do lurk/browse alot, hopefully I'll get more involved in the community here.

Edited by DaveZ, 21 November 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#13 CHARGERS

CHARGERS

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34586
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

View Posttommykrebs, on 21 November 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Martin, I have one question. You said in the analysis that his backswing is textbook. I have never seen a tour pro (except Kuchar) swinging the club back like Dave. Why is this textbook?

Attachment one plane.gif
shaft plane and path looks pretty solid, until the very top position

#14 Etzwane

Etzwane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68782
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for sharing !

#15 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Martin's good -- highly recommended...!

#16 Cmartingolf

Cmartingolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

View Posttommykrebs, on 21 November 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Attachment one plane.gif

No offense taken and Kuchar is pretty good! Dave was a big time slicer. My goal was to get his TM numbers from way left to more zero'd out. As you can see his hand path is pretty deep now and that lends to an inside out strike rather than his left aiming glancing strike. Dave and I are not the tallest fellows in the world and his clubs are a couple of degrees flat and he holds his hands low. My goal in the time we spend together is to make an impact with ball flight. I didn't see a need to change his backswing at all. To me, his backswing path is "text book" for what we are doing and he started to hit strong shots with a favorable flight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors