Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

please school me on cold gear: loose vs fitted vs compression

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 geoangus

geoangus

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132165
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

So, I'm a cheapskate and still wear my old school thermals.  But I'm ready to jump into 2013 with some new base layers, but I don't know what the diff is between loose, fitted and compression layers from UA, and which would be most appropriate for golf.

First off, I don't look anything like the dudes in UA's site - I'm 51, more than a little soft and with Thanksgiving days away, I don't think the turkey in my gut is going to pop out soon.  I'll still play as long as the courses are open, and played many rounds last winter while temps were in the low to mid-30's (F).

So is compression the better route for a top layer?  Is it too restrictive during the swing?  Or would they ride up?  And I guess the same questions apply for bottoms.  Or does it all just boil down to preference?

Thanks

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
910H 19* / 913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Scotty Cameron Dual Balance Futura X
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

As an Under Armour employee I will start this off. Compression is a base layer so is skin tight, and fitted hugs the body without being so restrictive. Loose is just your basic fit like a casual t shirt. Many people like the fitted for golf as it is a tad bit loser than a compression shirt but it is still gives you a tight feel. Me personally I like the compression tops and bottoms for golf and pretty much anything else. If you want something that doesn't hug the body or anything like that, loose is the way to go. Compression does ride up but if its well tucked it will stay. Hopefully my info helped
Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 04 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 704 5 iron/6-pw 670 mb KBS tour
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55/59
Scotty cameron Red X
WITB Link

#3 Augster

Augster

Mr. Fairway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30291
  • Ebay ID:augster..8
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

From everything I have gathered, you want air in between layers for cold weather.  That is how insulation works.  I would say compression to moisture-wick, on hot days.  For the cold, I would suggest fitted or loose.  Try them on and take a few swings.  I've never been restricted on a swing with baselayer on from UA, Nike or Mizuno.  I believe the stuff I use would be termed "loose" but maybe fitted.  I haven't bought some in quite some time as it doesn't get used but in the earliest spring and the latest fall.

Or better still, just get a Mizuno Windlite sweater and forget the baselayer.  Or baselayer and Mizuno Windlite sweater and SWEAT through your whole round.

#4 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

"Compression" has come to mean many things. Under Armour, Nike, Adidas calls a lot if their products "compression" when in fact they are just really tight base layers. The performance garment industry wouldn't call a tight fitting base layer "compression".

True compression garments have a super high elastane content. It's beyond tight fitting. The ultra tight fit improves blood flow and oxygen dispersion within the muscles. A tight base layer will not do that.

Your best bet is to find a fitted base layer. It will be a lot cheaper than true compression as well. I recommend the FJ base layer. The other option would be to try to find a heavier weight garment, something well above 200 grams per square meter. In a perfect world, you would be best to get something with ThermoCool fabric. It has a hollow yarn that regulates body temperature as good as anything on the market. I think several companies are using that fabric now. It isn't cheap.

#5 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

I'll do whatever I can to not wear a jacket when playing. So, on the colder days, I like to wear UA's compression with a thermal over it. On cold days with wind, I don't think the UA keeps you warm enough (exposed) on its own. But, with the thermal over it, my arms stay nice and comfortable. I'll wear a Mizuno WindLite vest over that, and that usually does the job. If I HAVE to throw a windbreaker over that, I will -- but the idea is to get to a warm place with my arms able to swing freely without a bunch of material flapping around.

I am pretty thin, so I'd like that the compression gear would want to ride up on a build like mine -- but it doesn't. Also, UA gear is long-waisted/tailed, so it appears to have been designed with the idea of staying tucked.

I do have a UA "fitted" shirt, and I don't like it as much as the compression. I'd say that IT is more inclined to ride up, since it's not tight through the bottom like the other. Also, if you do consider throwing your thermal over the base gear, I'd imagine you'd want something tight under it so there's no bunching and whatnot.

#6 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

i dont look like them either but compression gear moves so nice with your body it will not be a problem. This will keep you very warm and able to play like normal(if you can in the cold).
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM SLDR 4-pw Project X
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro WV115

#7 Rhythm&TempoRenzo

Rhythm&TempoRenzo

Rhythm&TempoRenzo

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101317
  • Ebay ID:lporterlott
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

I'm in Southeastern Michigan and a couple of courses here like The Riverview Highlands are open all - year round. I've played in very cold weather and personally I like the UA Compression Long Sleeved Shirt & Bottoms (appropriately marked "Cold Gear") as a base layer, on top I wear a loose fitting fleece shirt, standard golf pants and finally a sleeveless down filled vest from North face. There's 36 holes at Riverview Highlands and you'd be warm enough to play them all - you might even have to take off the vest. You can find most of this gear at a Cabella's (Hunting Gear Store) or your local Dick's Sporting Goods. Good luck, stay warm but don't sweat. :)
Pepperwood Grove (Cally XTT) Stand Bag
Titleist 913D3 8.5' w/RIP Phenom 60
Titleist 913F 12.75' w/RIP Phenom 80
Titleist 690.MB 2-PW w/Project X - 6.0
Vokey Spin Milled CC - 54/11 & 64/07
2008 Yes "Nicky" w/UST FF

#8 Chilidog

Chilidog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46727
  • Ebay ID:fisherj14
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

This isn't exactly true. I work in the industry and as long as the garment has 8% spandex in it, you will be fine. If the garment is too tight, it will do the opposite and will constrict the blood vessels and capillaries causing reduced blood flow.

The way UA compression works has nothing to do with the amount of spandex in it. It is the fact that it is a double knit construction (think about to layers of fabric being knit together)....the "air" zone comes in the knit between the two layers of fabric, causing a mini-down effect.  

View PostLlortamaisey, on 21 November 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

"Compression" has come to mean many things. Under Armour, Nike, Adidas calls a lot if their products "compression" when in fact they are just really tight base layers. The performance garment industry wouldn't call a tight fitting base layer "compression".

True compression garments have a super high elastane content. It's beyond tight fitting. The ultra tight fit improves blood flow and oxygen dispersion within the muscles. A tight base layer will not do that.

Your best bet is to find a fitted base layer. It will be a lot cheaper than true compression as well. I recommend the FJ base layer. The other option would be to try to find a heavier weight garment, something well above 200 grams per square meter. In a perfect world, you would be best to get something with ThermoCool fabric. It has a hollow yarn that regulates body temperature as good as anything on the market. I think several companies are using that fabric now. It isn't cheap.

#9 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

View Postgeoangus, on 20 November 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

I don't know what the diff is between loose, fitted and compression layers from UA, and which would be most appropriate for golf.

I would recommend the fitted version. Loose will allow more airflow under the garment which you generally don't want in cold weather. Compression isn't really a very good choice for cold weather. It's great for hot weather active sports, but there's pretty much no benefit for a low activity sport like golf. If the garment truly compresses your skin and capillaries, it reduces the blood flow which will make your skin feel colder. Odds are the UA gear isn't really built for compression and if you love the fit, it's not gonna kill you. But personally, I'd go with the fitted version.

So is compression the better route for a top layer?

While compression would be passable for a base layer, but it would be an awful choice for a top layer. If you're doing a traditional cold weather 3 layer system, the middle layer is your insulation/loft layer, if you put a compression garment over that, you're compressing the air space that is needed for you to retain warmth.

Is it too restrictive during the swing?  Or would they ride up?  

That's gonna really boil down to what size you buy. Try them on and take a few clubless practice swings in the dressing room.

Edited by Jimmy Mac, 21 November 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#10 chrisday83

chrisday83

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83491
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

To be more basic.

The UA Cold Gear compression stuff is really good at keeping you warm. You need a thin jacket over exposed sleeves in particularly cold/windy weather.
It does not feel overly tight or restrictive in any way.

I endorse this product!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 njlam

njlam

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36975
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

I just returned from a windy, rainy and cold long weekend at Bandon Dunes. The Columbia Omni-Hear baselayer made the trip for me. my UA compression and Nike Combat fitted baselayers did not keep me nearly as warm.

Omni Heat works and is a hit!
Driver: Ping Rapture 12 deg w/Diamana BB
Woods: Ping G25 4 & 7 wood w/TFC 189
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 25 deg w/IROD S
Irons: Ping i3+ 5-W w/Z-Z65
Putter: Ping Senita B 38"
Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Issue w/S400
WITB Link

#12 golftw

golftw

golFtw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190790
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

@JimmyMac.

#13 golftw

golftw

golFtw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190790
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

He means top of the body as opposed to being over other layers of clothes. aka torso

#14 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

But isn't it true that the big companies like to call garments compression when in fact that are not true compression garments? Obviously you put it much more eloquently than I did. All I was trying to say was a tight fitting shirt with a little spandex does not equal compression.

View PostChilidog, on 21 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

This isn't exactly true. I work in the industry and as long as the garment has 8% spandex in it, you will be fine. If the garment is too tight, it will do the opposite and will constrict the blood vessels and capillaries causing reduced blood flow.

The way UA compression works has nothing to do with the amount of spandex in it. It is the fact that it is a double knit construction (think about to layers of fabric being knit together)....the "air" zone comes in the knit between the two layers of fabric, causing a mini-down effect.  

#15 Woogie

Woogie

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168177
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

I was in the market for some new thermals as well, but instead of getting thermals, I went with the Under Armour ColdGear Element Storm pants.   I had the opportunity to try them out yesterday and they were very warm and i can still wear thermals underneath if I feel the need.  They worked well.

#16 jeffc

jeffc

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24100
  • Ebay ID:goho
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Go with fitted. Not too tight, not too loose. Just right

#17 MileHighClub

MileHighClub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123991

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

View Postjeffc, on 22 November 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

Go with fitted. Not too tight, not too loose. Just right

Agreed.  I have both and I prefer the loose/fitted to the compression.  I won't buy compression again.
Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

#18 ParChaser

ParChaser

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31596
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

So, I'm a cheapskate and still wear my old school thermals.  But I'm ready to jump into 2013 with some new base layers, but I don't know what the diff is between loose, fitted and compression layers from UA, and which would be most appropriate for golf.

First off, I don't look anything like the dudes in UA's site - I'm 51, more than a little soft and with Thanksgiving days away, I don't think the turkey in my gut is going to pop out soon.  I'll still play as long as the courses are open, and played many rounds last winter while temps were in the low to mid-30's (F).

So is compression the better route for a top layer?  Is it too restrictive during the swing?  Or would they ride up?  And I guess the same questions apply for bottoms.  Or does it all just boil down to preference?

Thanks

I am a little older than you and wear compression under my hockey equipment.  The extra muscle support is welcome and it keeps me warm, even our indoor rinks are cold.  The UA warm gear is very comfortable and keeps me warm on the golf course as well.  I have three all the same size but each seems to fit a little differently.  The loosest is my favorite for golf. The only binding I experience is in the forarms.  I am hoping to try fitted next. Trying them on is important as each of mine are large UA compression and fit a little differently.

#19 geoangus

geoangus

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132165
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

thanks guys, as I'm ordering these, I'm going to go with the "fitted" version.  Just not sure if compression would just feel too weird.  Maybe next time I have $$ to burn, I'll give the compression a shot.

Quick question - do they run true to size?  Large is 42 - 44, my chest is 44, should I stick with L or go to XL (will it shrink)?

Edited by geoangus, 24 November 2012 - 09:16 AM.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
910H 19* / 913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Scotty Cameron Dual Balance Futura X
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*

#20 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

View Postgeoangus, on 23 November 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

thanks guys, as I'm ordering these, I'm going to go with the "fitted" version.  Just not sure if compression would just feel too weird.  Maybe next time I have $$ to burn, I'll give the compression a shot.

Quick question - do they run true to size?  Large is 42 - 44, my chest is 44, should I stick with L or go to XL (will it shrink)?

I tell customers to buy a size up from what you normally wear with any base layer as they are supposed to run tight and fit snug.

Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 04 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 704 5 iron/6-pw 670 mb KBS tour
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55/59
Scotty cameron Red X
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 shinwedge

shinwedge

Belt Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102984
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

The Footjoy baselayer is a great itme. It fits snug but it does not squeeze you like some of the compression stuff out there. It is very warm but not at all constricting.

#22 jeffc

jeffc

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24100
  • Ebay ID:goho
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Postgeoangus, on 23 November 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

I have a large and wear a 40-42 jacket and it fits well. Wouldn't want it any smaller I don't think. If I were you I would go with an XL if you are a 44 jacket.

#23 memphishorn

memphishorn

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10524
  • Ebay ID:memphishorn
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

View Postshinwedge, on 24 November 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

The Footjoy baselayer is a great itme. It fits snug but it does not squeeze you like some of the compression stuff out there. It is very warm but not at all constricting.

I also just bought the Footjoy Base Layer and it is warm and fits well. Plus it's a little extra long so it stays tucked in.
Titleist 910 D2 Kali Stiff
Exotics CB2 15* YS6 Stiff
Bobby Jones H3 21* Hybrid
Titleist AP1 4-GW S300HL
Vokey Wedges 56.11 / 60.04 oil can
Scotty Cameron Newport Classic Gun Blue

#24 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Just wore my fitted UA shirt this past weekend (my compression shirt was in the laundry). The fitted is loose in wrong spots, I think. It's loose around the waist area, and looser at the cuff -- the two places it should be tight, I think. Otherwise, it fits like the compression gear everywhere else. It's like the compression gear but where the looser cuffs and slide down to your golf glove, and loose at the waist where it can bunch up and not stay tucked as easily.

So, again, I'd go with compression gear -- or, go up at least a size in the fitted so that it's not snug anywhere (which, again, I DON'T want when playing golf).

#25 lawrencedc1

lawrencedc1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84594
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Icebreaker 260.  Topic Over

#26 SPIF

SPIF

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96063
GolfWRX Likes : 317

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

View Postlawrencedc1, on 26 November 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Icebreaker 260. Topic Over

Somebody knows a thing or two about cold weather!  If their wool (which is fantastic) doesn't work for you, Arcteryx and Patagonia make top of the line synthetic base layers.  Icebreaker will without a doubt be the warmest though.  Great stuff.

#27 Padre John

Padre John

Padre John

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211279
  • Ebay ID:jgibb19468
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have two lined sweaters from FJ that keep me warm, even in the wind and at 45 degrees.  They are loose fitting.  and If I need to, I add a FJ base layer and I am very warm and not constricted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors