Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Places to Play in San Louis Obispo

Cheap Round

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 naj959

naj959

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66497
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hey guys, my buddy is getting married this Saturday and I will be arriving in SLO on Friday morning. I think I might have a couple of hours to kill and need suggestions on a couple places where I could squeeze in a cheap 9 hole round. I expect most places to be pretty busy the day after Thanksgiving but even if I just end up hitting balls I need suggestions on where to go.

Edited by naj959, 20 November 2012 - 06:28 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 slocagolfer

slocagolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3629
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Dairy Creek is ten minutes from town. It has a large, all grass driving range. Friday will be busy but maybe as a single they can find a spot for you. A bit farther (5-7 more minutes, max) is Morro Bay. They also have a grass driving range. They work together so if Dairy can't get you on in a reasonable amount of time they'd probably be able to call Morro Bay and see what's available.

South of town are Monarch Dunes and Cypress Ridge. North is Hunter Ranch. All these are about thirty minutes from San Luis. They'd be more expensive than either Dairy or Morro as those are county courses. Chalk Mountain is in Atascadero, about twenty minutes from San Luis. It's my least favorite of the group but might be easier to get on. I'm not sure you can pay only a nine hole rate except later in the afternoon. You'd have to ask.

You can get all the numbers and directions from the NCGA web site (ncga.org).

I've played Morro, Dairy, and Hunter recently and they're in very good shape. Hunter's greens were really quick.

Edited by slocagolfer, 20 November 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#3 naj959

naj959

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66497

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Thanks a lot Slocagolfer. I'll probably stop by Dairy Creek or Morrow Bay. I don't know how much time I'll have sense I'm a groomsman so I'm going to stay close to town. I know we've got a rehearsal before noon on Friday and the actual ceremony is Saturday at 4pm but I might be able to sneak in a range session. The last time I was in SLO I was visiting my buddies in the dorms on a 1 day turnaround but I think I drove past Hunter Ranch on the way down from Fresno and It looked like a pretty nice course.

#4 fatmouse

fatmouse

AAAAAAAAAAARGH

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35909
  • Handicap:3.9

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

i played monarch about a year ago. i usually cant stand house-lined courses but this one was pretty fun and i'd recommend it. really cheap to play there too, i think it was like $30 in the afternoon.

also kind of random but josh from the big break mesquite played through, nice guy and a super fast golfer

#5 poppyhillsguy

poppyhillsguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2601
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

This is an older thread, but I am also looking for golf ideas near San Luis Obispo.

I would hope to stay within 15 minutes of town.  The only thing I could find was Avila.

Any new thoughts or opinion are appreciated.

#6 littleprov1x

littleprov1x

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1105
  • Ebay ID:kc28565
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

I like Cypress Ridge. I thought there were some really fun holes out there. 6-8 was a fun stretch with a drop shot par 3, a driveable par 4, and a brute uphill par 4.

#7 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

If you're in SLO, you owe it to yourself to play Monarch Dunes. They've got 18 plus a really nice Challenge Course 12 hole par 3 course that's killer. Really a nice facility. A few holes are criminal, you need local knowledge, but for the most part it's fun and something a little different than your average fare.

I believe it's about 30-35-40 min from SLO. A little outside your range but I think it's  worth it.

Edited by sharkiesj, 09 October 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#8 slocagolfer

slocagolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

View Postpoppyhillsguy, on 09 October 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

This is an older thread, but I am also looking for golf ideas near San Luis Obispo.

I would hope to stay within 15 minutes of town.  The only thing I could find was Avila.

Any new thoughts or opinion are appreciated.

Monarch and Cypress are quality courses. As I said in the post above, Hunter Ranch in Paso Robles is excellent also. My preference is Hunter, if for nothing else, as there are no houses. It's more walkable too with less green to tee distance and no streets to cross. The other two are walkable but most everyone takes a cart.

All three of these are outside your 15 minute time by about 15 minutes. Within that time limit are Avila and Dairy Creek. Avila has a funky front nine but a decent back. Dairy is hilly, can be windy, and has water (mostly creeks) on a lot of holes. It's a Harbottle course. Morro Bay has very tricky greens and some great views of the ocean. None of the three have homes.  I play Dairy and Morro the most followed by Hunter.

#9 littleprov1x

littleprov1x

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1105
  • Ebay ID:kc28565
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

Agreed on Monarch being the top choice- it is a little far though. And yes, Cypress is a BEAST of a walk. Walked 36 there in a college tournament one time- never slept so well.

#10 poppyhillsguy

poppyhillsguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2601
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

I need to stay close to town, so between Avila and Dairy Creek would most of you choose Avila?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 slocagolfer

slocagolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

View Postpoppyhillsguy, on 10 October 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

I need to stay close to town, so between Avila and Dairy Creek would most of you choose Avila?

Dairy Creek, easily.

#12 slocagolfer

slocagolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

View Postpoppyhillsguy, on 10 October 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

I should add that if you can, get onto the San Luis Obispo Country Club, you'd enjoy that more than Dairy or Avila. They do have reciprocal privileges with other country clubs. If you're in the area the weekend of November 16 the Straight Down Tournament is held there. Great golf. No ropes. Just walk behind the golfers. Couples tied for first last year. http://www.straightd...ll-classic-info

Edited by slocagolfer, 13 October 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#13 BoomerSooner214

BoomerSooner214

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115834
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

Where did you end up playing NAJ959? I have played Dairy but not Avila. Almost got married at Avila so I've seen some of the course.
Ping G25 9.5* Speeder TS 6.3x
Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK TiNi
Ping Rapture DI/Ping Anser 20* VTS
Ping i20 4-PW PX 6.0
SC Golo/SC Monterey 1.5
Nike VR Forged 52*/Nike Toe Sweep 58*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors