Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Ummm... Rory's new big Nike endorsement

not off to a great start.

83 replies to this topic

#61 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 2156

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

View Postmoonshine, on 21 November 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

I have echoed robo's comments for weeks....ball will be the big deal.

Could be.

What's the difference with the ball performance?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 leontom16

leontom16

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211211
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

Endo has had alot of supply issues in the last year. They are one of the best manufacturers out there, but are moving away from their golf business which is far from being as profitable as their other activities...

There might be an opportuinity to see a new major manufacturer enter the mix as OEMs will want to secure their supply and iron out issues caused by that particular manufacturer recently!

#63 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 699

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think the biggest factor for Rory to adjust would be the clothing. What if his new shoes don't fit right and he gets blisters? What if his new pants give him swamp butt? Ain't nobody got time for that! He could be finished.

#64 Bad9

Bad9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 241

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostBirdman of Alcatraz, on 20 November 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

He'll never win a Major if he bags 14 Nike Clubs, a career is about to spiral into nothing. Even Tiger ain't the same without his Scotty.........

When Tiger changed to the Nike putter he was already putting poorly (by his standards) with his Scotty.
Ping G25 12/Phenom 50 r flex
Founders Forged Ti 4w//Xcaliber FW
KE4 3h&5h/Xcaliber HY regular flex
i15 5-U/Xcaliber regular flex
Gorge 54&58/Xcaliber regular flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

#65 todd.ashford

todd.ashford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88672
  • Ebay ID:todd31reds
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Does anybody know why Rory is still wearing Oakley and playing his Titliest clubs this weekend?

I expected to see at least some plain Nike shirt on him.

Driver - R9 SuperTri Grafalloy Platinum
3 Dub - Nike VRS Covert Tour (KK Silver)
Irons - Cobra S3 Pro 3-PW (S300)
52/08 Vokey Wedge-Spinner shaft!
Ball - Wilson Staff Zip or B-Stone E6
Putter - Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

#66 J13

J13

@jminis13

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,605 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1392

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

View Posttodd.ashford, on 23 November 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

Does anybody know why Rory is still wearing Oakley and playing his Titliest clubs this weekend?

I expected to see at least some plain Nike shirt on him.

Your not going to see anything different until the new year

Edited by J13, 26 November 2012 - 07:46 AM.

Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#67 Gripit_Swiftit

Gripit_Swiftit

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135692
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 22 November 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

I think the biggest factor for Rory to adjust would be the clothing. What if his new shoes don't fit right and he gets blisters? What if his new pants give him swamp butt? Ain't nobody got time for that! He could be finished.

Hahaha. I got the Bronchitis! Also, what if his new shirts don't perfectly outline his sculpted physique? He'll lose Carolyn and then all hell will break loose.
RFE, 'Ahina 80X
3Deep, Nunchuk
Adams 9031 18, Epic HyX
Bridgestone J40 CB, Tour Issue X100
Byron Morgan DH89
Vokey SM5's

#68 puttagain

puttagain

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13249
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

View Posttbowles411, on 20 November 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

View PostSean2, on 20 November 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

"I think all the manufacturers make great equipment nowadays ..."

I've been saying this for a long time, but no one ever stared a thread about it. :-)
You're vindicated. ;)

View PostROBOPTI, on 20 November 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Forget the clubs ... I bet his main problem will be the ball switch ... Ask ANY "real TOUR" rep how hard a ball change is

+ 1 - the conversation two weeks ago with Sneds on The Morning Drive led to the same conclusion: the ball switch is the most difficult part of an equipment change.

#69 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5017

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

i think the thread is not really about how difficult the switch will be for Rory. Frankly if you are a club ho and have been on this site for a while you know that you can make it work with basically any clubs. I'm 100% positive i could maintain my handicap with clubs from any OEM in the market so i'm sure Rory can too, especially when pros ca get custom jobs done

I think the issue is more that the average joe still believes the marketing, and when a company is going to pay you 200M+ to endorse their product, you can't go around saying "everything is the same". I'm sure that behavior will get corrected one way or another
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 8.5
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 13
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#70 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73111
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

If he hasn't signed a contract, he can say anything he likes. no?

His contract, ( if there is one, not to digress but its still speculation. ) has more to do with the clothing and shoes than it does with clubs. Clubs by that brand is pretty minimal in $$$ compared to apparel. And according to the latest poll on this site, Rory playing nike will have little to no impact on influencing our decision to buy golf equipement. ......with the exception of the Nike wanna bes.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,508 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

View Postspitfisher, on 25 November 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

If he hasn't signed a contract, he can say anything he likes. no?

His contract, ( if there is one, not to digress but its still speculation. ) has more to do with the clothing and shoes than it does with clubs. Clubs by that brand is pretty minimal in $$$ compared to apparel. And according to the latest poll on this site, Rory playing nike will have little to no impact on influencing our decision to buy golf equipement. ......with the exception of the Nike wanna bes.

the media is covering things they didn't used to cover. Like when Phil played the TM 3 wood, it was reported by golfdigest, golf magazine etc. Callaway was forced to try and get it front of it. This site, though large, still can't compare to the traffic those sites get especially among average joes.

Nike is about to invest 200M in this guy, It's not so he goes around saying that all clubs are the same. I'm sure once he is officially signed the stuff he says will change. We like to act here like marketing doesn't matter but companies don't invest this much money because they like throwing money away. Rory will have a big impact on purchasing behavior of average buyers. I know things like balls and apparel are where you make more profit but club sales are still important and still part of the deal. In the end this isn't a big deal really, but you can be sure it got the attention of Nike's marketing guys. I bet once the contract IS signed there won't be more "all OEMs are the same" talk
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Odyssey Tank #7

#72 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

I would beg to differ on the comment this isn't about "throwing money around" it most certainly is. Ask Titleist Fila/ Kor for starters. Then ask Puma/cobra, next ask any golf company or conglomerate of why they decided not to go to the Rory signing dance.

Nike estimated club sales based on 630 mill in 2012 sales was 150mill for clubs and balls. Thats world wide! Clubs and balls actually went down 8% from 2011, apparel went up over 10. Now do the math tiger & other staff members including guys, girls we have never heard of. Next add in a healthy advertising budget golf only. All of it adds up to a lot of cash. most companies operate n an advertising and marketing budget of 8% of total  sales. and before you flame me remember i disagree that the comment made that it ISN'T about throwing money around. Rory ( if he does) is not signing with nike because of their clubs and balls - its because of the money being thrown around.

#73 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,508 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

all i meant was Nike doesn't believe they are throwing money "away". They are paying Rory 200M because they expect to get a return on it. They paid Tiger boatloads of cash too but he helped them build their brand to what it is today, the apparel, clubs etc. They are hoping Rory can pick up where Tiger left off. I agree with you there's no doubt Rory is signing there because of the cash. My only point is that with that cash comes a responsibility to promote the brand. I just don't think the VP marketing at Nike wants to see his 200M dollar man saying Nike clubs are just like all the rest LOL.

not trying to flame or anything.I think it may have just been a misunderstanding of what we were arguing on some levels
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Odyssey Tank #7

#74 TimothyBeumer

TimothyBeumer

Pietjepuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46223
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

he will be under nike contract in 2013 he has already been testing nike clubs for 1 year

#75 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Will we see a Rory signature Nike golf shoe? I would guess yes based on the contract size. Something to compete in the colorful youth segment perhaps?

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#76 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,508 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

^^^ Air Rory's!
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Odyssey Tank #7

#77 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

Wonder what the Rory branded Nike logo will look like?
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#78 corky

corky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1237
GolfWRX Likes : 333

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

View Postfinalist, on 25 November 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

Iw ill have a 'tick' in it no doubt.... or what they like to call a swoosh or whatever...

#79 CincyCreech

CincyCreech

CincyCreech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134496
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostROBOPTI, on 20 November 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Forget the clubs ... I bet his main problem will be the ball switch ... Ask ANY "real TOUR" rep how hard a ball change is

Agreed.. That will be the biggest change. Nike will be able to get their clubs close as possible feel an everything to what he is playing now.. I think he has plenty of time before he plays next to get used to the putter.. Wasn't he playing a different Scotty last year? Woods played the same scotty for some time before making the switch.. Mcilroy has switched putters before.. He will again be a multiple winner next year and he will win a major next year.

#80 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

So, if Rory is supposedly supplanting Tiger at Nike, will we see the same thing elsewhere?
Like:
EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA Tour 14

Of course, they could do a Euro Tour version w/Rory in addition to TW PGA Tour. Tiger and Rory would show up in each other's games at the majors.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#81 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostCrab Daddy, on 26 November 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

So, if Rory is supposedly supplanting Tiger at Nike, will we see the same thing elsewhere?
Like:
EA Sports Rory McIlroy PGA Tour 14

Of course, they could do a Euro Tour version w/Rory in addition to TW PGA Tour. Tiger and Rory would show up in each other's games at the majors.

Thats a very distinct possibility, it was long ago where they (EA) publically said if he doesn't win soon they would nuke the TW project or retool it with other players.

#82 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1688

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

View Postfinalist, on 25 November 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

A big clock?

#83 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

If you hold a Titleist Blade next to a Nike Blade they are practicly identical other than the graphics.  If you hit them they have the same feel.  I'm sure the transition will be no problem in the irons.  Driver shouldn't be a problem either.  Wedges no problem.  Putter.....possibly but then again, Nike can make him anything he needs and put a swoosh on it.

#84 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostSurfDuffer, on 27 November 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

If you hold a Titleist Blade next to a Nike Blade they are practicly identical other than the graphics.  If you hit them they have the same feel.  I'm sure the transition will be no problem in the irons.  Driver shouldn't be a problem either.  Wedges no problem.  Putter.....possibly but then again, Nike can make him anything he needs and put a swoosh on it.

I agree however one element they can not produce is Karma. Having worked in and around a tour van for years. I  could list multiple instances by successful PGA tour players where a player tries and tests various metal woods (head shapes) and irons, narrowing it down further and further. Eventually come back the next day or after a round and hit countless balls with thier choices. Then they finally decide on a XYZ wood, with a X loft and Y shaft and grip. Then we tell him Ok we'll build you one. The horror on the players face, eventually they insist on "the" club they tested with a new head cover.  Years ago I could agree, for example because of the welding processes inside the head of a driver often would have gobs of material and quality control could have been suspect with certain well known brands.  Titleist was the first brand that I know of that address the iregularities of manufacturing. Today the tolarances of manufacturing are so close- I'd estimate it to be under 2% driver to driver. So It really is Karma- with some players for putters thru woods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors