Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Ummm... Rory's new big Nike endorsement

not off to a great start.

83 replies to this topic

#31 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4601

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 20 November 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

View PostSean2, on 20 November 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

"I think all the manufacturers make great equipment nowadays ..."

I've been saying this for a long time, but no one ever started a thread about it. :-)
You're vindicated. ;)
Thank you Mr. Bowles. :-)

Edited by Sean2, 20 November 2012 - 08:11 PM.

Hey...be nice.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5054

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

we can say it's no big deal, and i mean, it's not a HUGE deal. But it's certainly not a comment the brass at Nike want to see i can promise you that. They are going to pay the guy 200M+ and i'm sure it's not so Rory will talk about about how all OEM's are the same.

OEM's are very aggressive in distancing themselves from their comp using one tactic or another. I'm sure Mr Mcilroy will get a bit of a polite talking to if he keeps making comments like that.
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 8.5
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 13
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#33 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

View PostJc0, on 20 November 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostROBOPTI, on 20 November 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Forget the clubs ... I bet his main problem will be the ball switch ... Ask ANY "real TOUR" rep how hard a ball change is

That would be true if it was any other company but nike has about 20 different prototype golf balls that aren't released to the public, and will custom make a ball for him if needed.  That's is what they do for Tiger.  He plays a older nike core with a softer cover.

As for equipment: Nike irons are endo forged in general. A blade is a blade and nike's are very good.  Wedges, he will get what ever he wants for shape and grind (nike wedges are also very good but no one plays them so no one knows this).  Woods will be the harder part.  He will be force to change the driver but I don't see that being such a big deal as he just changed to the 913, so a quick change won't do much.  I could see an issue with the 3 and 5 wood as they are older model Titleist clubs so nike may let him keep them in the bag.  As for the putter probably the same deal as Tiger.  He can use his current one as long as he want but once he switches it has to be to nike.  And even that isn't a big deal because the methods are pretty good and he will get what every head shape he wants.

Prediction, slow start, pulls it together by the masters for a top 10, wins 4 or 5 times and 2 top threes at majors with maybe 1 win.

He switched from the 906's to the 913 or atleast he did for some time. Took him forever to leave them but he did switch to the 913
Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 04 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 704 5 iron/6-pw 670 mb KBS tour
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55/59
Scotty cameron Red X
WITB Link

#34 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

View Postjwrogers, on 20 November 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostBirdman of Alcatraz, on 20 November 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

He'll never win a Major if he bags 14 Nike Clubs, a career is about to spiral into nothing. Even Tiger ain't the same without his Scotty.........

Stewart Cink, to the courtesy phone please.   Stewart Cink to the courtesy phone.

http://blogs.golf.co...golf-clubs.html

In addition to Cink:
Duval switched to Nike, won the British, and lost his game.
Charl Schwartzel hasn't done anything since his Masters victory.
Lucas Glover. US Open, then .....
The big difference is that Rory has a few majors under his belt going in. Would be a shame if he suffered the same fate.

Edited by Crab Daddy, 20 November 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#35 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,619 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 2174

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostCrab Daddy, on 20 November 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

He'll never win a Major if he bags 14 Nike Clubs, a career is about to spiral into nothing. Even Tiger ain't the same without his Scotty.........

Stewart Cink, to the courtesy phone please.   Stewart Cink to the courtesy phone.

In addition to Cink:
The big difference is that Rory has a few majors under his belt going in. Would be a shame if he suffered the same fate.

?

#36 ZBigStick

ZBigStick

Yeehaw!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13111
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 20 November 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

we can say it's no big deal, and i mean, it's not a HUGE deal. But it's certainly not a comment the brass at Nike want to see i can promise you that. They are going to pay the guy 200M+ and i'm sure it's not so Rory will talk about about how all OEM's are the same.

OEM's are very aggressive in distancing themselves from their comp using one tactic or another. I'm sure Mr Mcilroy will get a bit of a polite talking to if he keeps making comments like that.

For marketing purposes, you are correct, and paying Rory is a marketing move.  I think he is actually trying to pay Nike an underhanded comment.  Many feel that Nike makes "inferior" equipment, he is merely defending Nike's place but saying they are on par with the supposedly superior Titleist equipment or any other OEM for that matter.  If he's not worried than neither should we, when he wins his next major with Nike clubs in Nike garb, the Nike team will be the first in line to throw him a party.
Callaway FT Tour 10.5 X-Con 5
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 15 Diamana Blue 83
Callaway X2-Hot Pro 20hy Kuro Kage 80
Callaway X-Proto 24, Apex Pro 5-A PXi
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 54/58 PX
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra

#37 Merle33

Merle33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12988
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

As far as I've seen, this $250 Million deal isn't official yet.  I think he's just choosing his words wisely here since he is still under contract with Titleist.  He's not saying anything negative about his current company, and obviously doesn't want to indicate who he'll be signing with soon even though the speculation has narrowed the decision to Nike.  I think he's much smarter than everyone gives him credit for and congrats to him on all his success.  I'm a big fan of Nike and I hope that he is very successful with his new equipment.

#38 mukster

mukster

The fairway is great!

• 1,838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48549
GolfWRX Likes : 458

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

The reality is that what he says is true.
The perception is that what he says isn't true.
Reality isn't gonna sell a lot of clubs for any OEM. I agree that Rory might get a little talking to by the Nike boys before he makes his next equipment comment to the press.

#39 QuickFeet

QuickFeet

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68520
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm pretty sure that after his current contract has expired that what ever OEM he games will be far superior to the Titleist he was playing; in his opinion. :deadhorse:

#40 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,619 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Tiger + Rory could put Nike

+ 1 Billion in sales.

Madison Ave says that the whole is > than the sum of it's parts.

Rory and TW combined are worth 4x what they are worth on their own.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 20 November 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

In addition to Cink:

?

Cink, Duval, Schwartzel, Glover are all Nike players, or were at the time, who won their only major, then promptly dropped off the face of the Earth.

#42 pegleg

pegleg

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2585
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Tiger won a lot of tournaments with a $99 Ping putter. He ain't the same since he destroyed his family and the world found out he was a d**k.

I don't like Nike either, for reasons unrelated to their equipment designs (policies, for example).

BUT, if the design of the club suits you, Nike clubs are as good as most. And if he doesn't like his putter, they would make 100 more for him to pick from.
Maybe from some magic metal that wards off inner demons. Or herpes.

#43 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostTheDarkOne, on 20 November 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

I can see it with everything...but not the putter. Scotty Cameron makes the best in the world for the best in the world. We saw it with Woods, same with Rors. Anything can happen, but I would be honestly shocked to see the Cameron dismissed.

Ode to Cami.
Oh the wonderful Cami can do no wrong when the money is flowing. Dream of the early '90s Scotty when he was ripe with ruthless amounts of perfectly parted hair and a fresher stick of gum. If we beg nicely I bet he'll sign our underwear.
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#44 GolfPro816

GolfPro816

TheLongBall350

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173868
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Tiger doesn't even play "nike" irons.. all forged by Muira and stamped with the swoosh. none of these guys play what the retail stores sell.. it's a completely different game out there.

#45 oregongolf

oregongolf

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostGolfPro816, on 21 November 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

Tiger doesn't even play "nike" irons.. all forged by Muira and stamped with the swoosh. none of these guys play what the retail stores sell.. it's a completely different game out there.
That's not true anymore.

#46 leftypga

leftypga

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18924
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

View Postjon2, on 21 November 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

View PostGolfPro816, on 21 November 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

That's not true anymore.

Not even remotely true.  TIGER'S IRONS ARE NOT FORGED BY MIURA!  As much as people want to claim tour issued clubs are somehow magically better than anything else, at least with Nike, their player's clubs (even Tiger's) are just like the ones you and I play, except for minor grind difference.  Just like Titleist too.  I've hit tour issue Nike and Titleist gear.  Almost no difference at all from the retail stuff except for a few prototypes.
Nike Covert 2.0 Tour, Fujikura Pro 73
Nike VR Pro LTD, Speeder 757
Ping Rapture DI, Motore Speeder TS 9.8
Nike VR Pro Blades, KBS Tour V
VR Pro 54, Toe Sweep 58, KBS Tour V
Cameron Golo 5 Dual Balance, 37"

#47 Texan In The Northwest

Texan In The Northwest

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212195
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Nike is making a ASTRONOMICAL move with Rory and in ALL the BEST WAYS! Now who's gonna take Rory's spot @ Oakley? ... I have a sneaking suspicion that I know the answer to that in my gut... I'm enjoying seeing things shake up a bit.

#48 AWE46M3

AWE46M3

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99680
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

Dude just missed the cut last week in Hong Kong with a full bag of Titleist gear - I'm guessing he can do at least as well with the Nike stuff...  Just a guess though.

#49 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73111
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

View Postsaggysag, on 20 November 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

all clubs are made in same factory?  i've never known this.....is there any links - proof?

What he is referring to is forged clubs with small manufactures-nike is a small forged club manufacturer.        There is only a couple of factories that have forging capabilities. You source the metal, book the time, retooling occurs, stamp then grinding.

Mizuno has proprietary technology, I would say RM is not accurate in his statement. Here is why.

#50 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1402

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

Well Rory has tee'd this up and once he officially joins nike he can knock it 300yds.  Just think his next presser he can say "I thought all equipment was pretty much the same but now that i"m over at Nike I realize how much better my equipment is now"

Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 svccmember

svccmember

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118142
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Its "his" opinion and I think it the right attitude making a huge equipment change. He is basically saying I can play with anything and the clubs and the ball aren't going to make him any better or worse. BTW he is the number 1 player in the world.

What should be his state of mind? My clubs suck, and I'll be a better player with Nike? These Nike clubs are too good and I not good enough to play with them? ProV1x suck compared to the Nike Rory2013 ball I'm playing because the Rory2013 goes too far and spin too much???

Trust me Nike is happy with Rory since they didn't have to create a RM logo for the hat, bag, shoes, etc....

Edited by svccmember, 21 November 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#52 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • 11,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1670

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

View Postfinalist, on 21 November 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

View PostTheDarkOne, on 20 November 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

I can see it with everything...but not the putter. Scotty Cameron makes the best in the world for the best in the world. We saw it with Woods, same with Rors. Anything can happen, but I would be honestly shocked to see the Cameron dismissed.

Ode to Cami.
Oh the wonderful Cami can do no wrong when the money is flowing. Dream of the early '90s Scotty when he was ripe with ruthless amounts of perfectly parted hair and a fresher stick of gum. If we beg nicely I bet he'll sign our underwear.

My custom Byron had a crooked grip.
915D2 (8.5) - Black DI-8
915F (16.5) - Rombax P95
712U (4), AP2 (5-PW) - KBS Tour V
Vokey (50, 55, 60) - DG Tour Issue
Cameron GoLo N5 LE
WITB Link

#53 NGstaff

NGstaff

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38101
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostCrab Daddy, on 20 November 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

In addition to Cink:

?

Cink, Duval, Schwartzel, Glover are all Nike players, or were at the time, who won their only major, then promptly dropped off the face of the Earth.
And yet, how many Ping, Titleist, TaylorMade and Callaway guys don't have a single major win...or other win on the PGA tour.  Get over it guys.

#54 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I've been saying this for a long time, but no one ever started a thread about it. :-)

When someone pays you $200+ million to say one manufacturer is better and instead you say they are all the same, I promise I'll start a thread about you.

#55 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 243

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

I wonder how much of this 250 mil contract is based on performance bonuses? I wonder if it is like the Donovan McNab 16 mil a year contract with the redskins, or the m Vic contract with the eagles. It sounds huge but is all based on results.

just curious.

Edited by creeder06, 21 November 2012 - 01:07 PM.

#56 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4601

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

View Postjwrogers, on 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

When someone pays you $200+ million to say one manufacturer is better and instead you say they are all the same, I promise I'll start a thread about you.
Thanks JW, I'll hold you to it. Ha ha!

Edited by Sean2, 21 November 2012 - 03:26 PM.

Hey...be nice.

#57 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

I'm Gonna Live Forever! But first I need to stop this bl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124830
GolfWRX Likes : 1651

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostCrab Daddy, on 20 November 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

In addition to Cink:

?

How far down the World Rankings did Stewart Cink?
Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

#58 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostNGstaff, on 21 November 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

And yet, how many Ping, Titleist, TaylorMade and Callaway guys don't have a single major win...or other win on the PGA tour.  Get over it guys.
I'm far from serious about this.  I found it an interesting coincidence because Nike doesn't have a huge stable of players like the other OEMs. And, the other OEMs also have players not named Tiger Woods who could put together 4 good rounds after winning a major.  
Since there is rampant speculation in all these 'Rory to Nike' threads, why not fuel the fire?

Cink's OWGR = 285

#59 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,619 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

How far down the World Rankings did Stewart Cink?

He has Cank out of sight.

Or is it Cunk?

Never seem to get that.

#60 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

I have echoed robo's comments for weeks....ball will be the big deal.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors