Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How big or small of a role does golf play in your life .... ??

63 replies to this topic

#31 butch33611

butch33611

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187822
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

My wife asked me the other day, If we only subscribe to the golf channel would we save money on cable? If im not playing, im watching. The DVR is full with golf. I practice at least 2 hours a day. My kids are grown so its just the wife and I so I have plenty of time to spend with my practice. She says Id rather see you doing that instead of something else. Here's my setup in the garage where I spend way too much time. I live in Minesota so the winters are long but this helps to pass the time and keep me in shape.

Attached Files

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Padre John

Padre John

Padre John

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211279
  • Ebay ID:jgibb19468
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

So do most of the guys I play with!!  Just bring your "A" game to the course!!

#33 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4647

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I picked up the game at the tender age of 51. I practice/play 7 days a week, weather permitting. During the winter months, my practice facility has heated bays and I'll practice (it's not the same, but better than nothing). I work a lot on my short game. During the warmer months I play a heck of a lot more then I practice (at my age the PGA Tour does not beckon). I enjoy tournament golf as I really like to get my juices flowing...Bobby Jones was right (there's golf and there's tournament golf and the two are quite different). I'm a gear nut, like most on GolfWRX.
Hey...be nice.

#34 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

In like Flynn with my 8802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115210
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostPadre John, on 21 November 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

As a Catholic priest, I use golf in my ministry. I try see the greatness and beauty of  god's creative beauty on the golf course and try and help
Others have a great time on the golf course. But I also compete in several tournaments a year. My congregation loves it when they see that I have done well in a tournament.

God
Family
Golf

When you miss an important putt do you yell "OH RAT FARTS!!!"

I would if I were you  :D

Edited by SurfinTurf, 21 November 2012 - 10:03 PM.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5 Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5 PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18 PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51/56/60
The Wilson 8802

#35 saltrunner

saltrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209907
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

View PostAnimal Chin, on 21 November 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

I've worked hard to put golf as a priority.  Almost 40, no kids, no wife, no house note, truck is paid for.  I left a good job as an asst pro in the rtj golf trail to go back to caddying so I can play more golf.  I have a very understanding girlfriend that doesn't care that that I have no goals other than golfing as much as possible.

I've backdoored my way into some of the most exclusive courses in the country through my lack of motivation to succeed and get a real job.  I don't make a ton of money but I'm not money driven.  I happy driven and golf makes me happy.

yea baby ... more power to ya ...... your are living your life ......

#36 saltrunner

saltrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

View Postbutch33611, on 21 November 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

My wife asked me the other day, If we only subscribe to the golf channel would we save money on cable? If im not playing, im watching. The DVR is full with golf. I practice at least 2 hours a day. My kids are grown so its just the wife and I so I have plenty of time to spend with my practice. She says Id rather see you doing that instead of something else. Here's my setup in the garage where I spend way too much time. I live in Minesota so the winters are long but this helps to pass the time and keep me in shape.

I aspire to be you one day

#37 saltrunner

saltrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostSean2, on 21 November 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

I picked up the game at the tender age of 51. I practice/play 7 days a week, weather permitting. During the winter months, my practice facility has heated bays and I'll practice (it's not the same, but better than nothing). I work a lot on my short game. During the warmer months I play a heck of a lot more then I practice (at my age the PGA Tour does not beckon). I enjoy tournament golf as I really like to get my juices flowing...Bobby Jones was right (there's golf and there's tournament golf and the two are quite different). I'm a gear nut, like most on GolfWRX.

may your fairways always be green!!

#38 Padre John

Padre John

Padre John

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211279
  • Ebay ID:jgibb19468

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

No, just change the prayer!  Obviously the one I used didn't work!!😉😉

#39 tocino

tocino

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150197
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

i try and get to the range at least once a week and maybe 1-3 rounds a month depending on what time of year. I watch plenty of golf channel as well as the major tournies on the broadcast channels. I don't feel like golf is a big part of my life but I would probably miss it if I had to stop.

I used to ride a motorcycle a few years ago. I talked to a lot of fellow bikers and alot of them used their motorcycle as an escape from work, family, life, etc... I never really understood this as I used my bike as a meditation tool. you're not competing with anyone and you have to be hyper-aware of everything around you while your charging up/down a twisty street or road. You hear, smell, and feel everything while your on a bike. It's weird but golf is the closest I've come to experiencing that same feeling.
Titleist 910D2 10.5* Motorspeeder 757 S
Titleist 910F 15* Matrix Radix HD7 XS
Titleist 910H 21* Ahina 90HB S
Titleist 710 AP1/AP2 4-PW S300
Vokey SM4 50*12, 54*11, SM5 58*M S200
SC Studio Select Kombi-S, SS 3.0 Grip

#40 2putttom

2putttom

American born Aussie at heart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Well lets put it this way. I took a puddle jumper to an island resort and the baggage handler told the pilot of the plane that there was not enough room in the hold for all the baggage.... I left my suit case on the runway and took my clubs.

Cleveland classic 290 Aldila VooDoo RVS6
Titliest 910 13 * Aldila VooDoo SVS6
ADAMS CMB 3-6 TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
ADAMS MB2 7-pw TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
Mizuno MP-R12 & MP-R4
Bobby Grace "SNYPER" 4* loft
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 Badgergolfer2

Badgergolfer2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190300
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Its a pretty big part of my life.  Much of my time and money is spent thinking about golf, buying golf stuff or playing golf.

#42 justaman5

justaman5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26172
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

it caused me to get a divorce in 1998   nuff said
Bridgestone J33 8.5 loft
Bridgetone J33 15 loft
Hogan Redline 1988 model 2-9
Vokey 48, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Napa Valley
Prov1x

#43 parpar41

parpar41

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21432
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I've spent about half my life playing golf.

the other half, ... I've just wasted.

[Old Scottish golf aphorism]

#44 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54590
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

FWIW, I am quite 'golf fortunate'. I am retired, healthy (age 63), and can afford to play at a very nice club with super practice facilities, multiple courses (some which host major competitions), free range balls, and a community free shag ball area. And in NC golf is a 12 month per year sport (assuming a moderate level of cold tolerance).

I enjoy the challenge of the game, but for me it is a personal challenge more than a 'beat a specific opponent' challenge. My opponent is always the USGA Handicap System. I play 2 rounds per week and practice most days that I don't play. And that puts golf really high on my priority list.

dave

#45 saltrunner

saltrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

daveleeNC i aspire to be you !!

#46 jastroud

jastroud

I AM the danger...

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5120
  • Ebay ID:stroud72801
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

As I have gotten older, the role of golf for me has increased for sure.  I don't know of any other way I could spend 5 hours riding around with the CEO of my former company, the VP of operations, and my boss and ENJOY it... :taunt: .  In all seriousness, I played a good bit growing up - even participated in a youth camp run my Chris Patton.  As I hit high school and college, I played less and less until I graduated.  Took it back up and I couldn't think of a more relaxing thing to do than be on the course late on a summer day with the shadows falling.  

This year or so has been especially rough for me, so I treasure those outing even more when I get to go.  Golf can drive you nuts, but for me it keeps me sane.
Talormade R1 RIP Stiff
Taylormade TP MC 3-PW KBS Tour S
RAC Fe203 Cutters 56 & 60
Yes Callie

#47 minteq

minteq

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

It is my only vice, I do not drink (very little), gamble, fish, hunt, etc.  I could do something related to golf everyday.  It keeps me sane when I have bad days at work.  The wife is ok with it, I get my work done, spend time with the family (kids are all grown now), she always said "there are worse things you could do"
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 Proj X Black 6.0
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 3wd KK Silver TiNi
Titleist 712U 3 TTXP95s
Nike Covert Forged 2.0 4-pw NS950gh S
Nike Method 003
Nike 52/56/60 X3X

#48 John L.

John L.

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99616
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

The game has been a big part of my life since 1978.  I enjoy the social aspect when playing the weekend "blitz" with the gang, or just doing a back 9 on a cold cloudy Sunday afternoon having the course to myself. The golf course has always been the "one" place to get away from things.

#49 saltrunner

saltrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

as much as I enjoy playing with buddies or brothers or even getting paired up with a stranger ..... there is nothing like playing a round of golf by myself sometimes..... hitting a great shot and no one watching so you have a sense of personal accomplishment that you might not have in front of others because you dont want to appear cocky or hitting a bad shot and knowing no one saw it but making yourself accountable for it and not hitting another ball just playing the bad shot...... I guess when you have a round alone you notice the beautiful scenery more and its just an inner peace

#50 mx6262

mx6262

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93496
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

If Golf was Dope I would be hooked...

So I guess I'm just a Golfer......

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

I've played golf on and off for 20 years (since mid teens). Money and work commitments have made it hard for me to play consistently, and even now I am only able to practise 1-2 times a week, and play maybe 27 holes on a Saturday.

I'm 36, and have had a reasonable career so far after Uni - make good money running projects in a bank, paying feck all tax.

But I am planning on giving it all up to follow a career in golf, whether it be running a golf course, working at an OEM, or doing something else. I sent my application form off today to do a Golf Management Diploma, so I guess we will see where life takes me...

#52 John L.

John L.

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99616
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostBingo1976, on 28 November 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

I've played golf on and off for 20 years (since mid teens). Money and work commitments have made it hard for me to play consistently, and even now I am only able to practise 1-2 times a week, and play maybe 27 holes on a Saturday.

I'm 36, and have had a reasonable career so far after Uni - make good money running projects in a bank, paying feck all tax.

But I am planning on giving it all up to follow a career in golf, whether it be running a golf course, working at an OEM, or doing something else. I sent my application form off today to do a Golf Management Diploma, so I guess we will see where life takes me...

Good luck to you Bingo.  I worked as a greens keeper assistant at a local course for a while and fell in love with the work  I would have stayed on forever but I had a kid in college and bills to pay. I still miss it.

#53 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
GolfWRX Likes : 286

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Jack plays golf as a personal experience, and seldom, really seldom, is the focus on beating an opponent. He is looking for that wonderful feeling found in exquisite execution, and the stillness of mind that comes with it.  Any so-called victory in a match is transitory and forgettable for him. Sure, he 'wins' usually when the scores are tallied, but hey, winning is a much watered down commodity these days...-- Being 'better' than someone else is a fool's illusion of oneself and begs the question: Are you sad when you are defeated? If not, how important could said victory begin to be? Lots of people are tools and shallow - why chase their folly? Jack doesn't.
Titleist 909DC 9.5*
Taylormade 300 Series 15*
Srixon ZR-UTI 18*
Srixon Z-TX 3-PW
Odyssey XG #3
Zodia 52*, 56*

#54 rony

rony

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14128
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Everything in moderation, keep it simple, less is best.
Everything in Moderation
Keep it Simple
Less is Best
13 G10 Pings With a Redwood Zing

#55 Flykixz23

Flykixz23

Rookie

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211105
  • Ebay ID:Flykixz23

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Golf consumes my whole day! From morning to til 3 am in the morning. I play it, watch it, talk about it, drive my fiance up the wall with it as she is clueless about anything I talk about...haha! I am 26 and going to school in hilton head next fall when she is done dental school in hopes of getting in the industry in any way shape or form but I have great salesmanship skills and being a rep could be fun but my passion to practice and play is my real love as I am inspired to try and get onto a tour level of some sort even if I have to go over sees! I used to be a scratch golfer at 16 yrs of age after picking up the game at 14! I had such a raw talent for it and would play on my country club from sun up til sun down! I got out of it for 6 years so I am now back on track to live that dream again of doing something big with it as I am just getting back into the swing of things but eat, breathe and sleep golf!

#56 adamjstl

adamjstl

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120792

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

I think about golf everyday. Literally, every single day. I found out the CDGA released the tournament schedule for 2013, and it was like my early Christmas!!

#57 adamjstl

adamjstl

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120792

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

View Postjustaman5, on 24 November 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

it caused me to get a divorce in 1998   nuff said

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!

#58 JMG_02

JMG_02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30463
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

My golf "fanaticism" really seems to come in waves.  

Started playing when I was 12-13 just tagging along with the parents.  Probably around 14-16 I was completely obsessed, playing all the time.  Spending the entire summer at the CC.  I then wised up and realized I wasn't going to be pro, and didn't like to practice enough to be a pro.

Went to college, and literally played maybe 6-8 rounds the entire 4 years I was at college.  I completely lost all desire and just didn't think about golf.  Not that I didn't like it, I just didn't think about it.  After I graduated and started my professional career, I was being invited to various industry-related golf tournaments and found out how much golf can be involved in business.  Thats when I became obsessed again, all new clubs and started playing.  That lasted a few years and went through a couple of years of not playing as much (but still active).  Then about 2 years ago it kicked back in, and I'm still in this phase of being fairly dedicated to golf (really trying to improve with lessons and practice), took my first golf vacation this year, etc.

I had my first child last September, and that has really put a lot of things into perspective.  I'm being careful not to sacrifice time with my wife and daughter at the expense of a game.  When I'm old and gray, I won't care what handicap I'm at (or was in my 20's) but what kind of relationship I have with my family and creating a stable & loving childhood for my family.

So in the end, I LOVE golf.  I think it is the best game in the world and one of the best hobbies.  It teaches a lot of valuable lessons, and provides a lot peace but also challenges me.  However, I think the key is (as with everything in life) is balance.

#59 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1013

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Golf is so dominate in my life, I didn't marry till much later because it took all those years to find a woman that already played golf, not to mention put up with my lifestyle.  I play 2-3 times per week, she 1-2 times and any form of travel must include golf.

@PadreJohn... having been an alter boy with priests in the family, my priorities are the same as yours!
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#60 stimpmeterp

stimpmeterp

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33985
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Golf has always been a major part of my life.  Played junior high, high school and college, competitively.  My father was a Westchester County, NY junior champ (he used to beat up on Claude Harmon - I've got great newspaper clippings).  I went to grad school, got married and have kids now (twins, age 5)...so don't get to play as much as I used to.  Still, I'm at least 3 people's ringer for annual scrambles....I'm my boss' guest in his member/guest...I play in up to a 1/2 dozen charity events each year...and I play roughly 10-20 rounds (sometimes just 9 after work) per year.  

Year round, The Golf Channel is on my set if I have the remote.  I watch either the NFL or PGA on Sundays.  I am an equipment ho.  In the last 6 months I've gone through a dozen drivers.  

At my office I have 2 sets of irons and wedges and have been known to chip and putt when it gets quiet.

Bethesda, MD
7 hcp.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors