Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Weight on back foot at address?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Braveone

Braveone

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138738
  • Ebay ID:el_seanuel
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

Hi, I was just wondering if any members here could give me some info as to my recent range swing discovery.
I've been hitting my irons very well where I equally distribute my weight through both legs.
However, everything above 4 iron has been awful, mainly because at address I never feel balanced with my weight 50-50. It felt like the weight shift in back swing caused too much sway and as a result I would hit very inconsistent tee shots.
Yesterday at the range, I remembered a swing vision of Rory Mcilroy where the commentator mentioned braced right leg on his driver and fairway wood swing. So, I thought about having more weight on my back foot at address kind of 60-40 or 70-30.
The results were so much better as long as I didn't hang back. It allowed my head to stay behind the ball and my weight shift on the down swing felt much more centered with no swaying.

I've googled 'weight on back foot' and from what I've read so far, it's a bad thing to do.

Can someone with more swing knowledge enlighten me?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 dogsbe

dogsbe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143425
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I anchor my back instep to the ground at setup by chucking my knee to the target.  This actually helps me square up to ensure that my head is over the ball, my left should is 3 inches from the target and my club face is square.  When I rotate, I want to feel like I am moving back away from the ball and towards the instep to maintain spine angle.  If I don't have a wide enough stance, then the weight transfer will go to the outside of the foot and a sway.  

I don't totally do it, but have a look at the "reverse K".  I think it is very similar.

#3 tmfool

tmfool

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

pre-loading weight on back foot @ address is an old school trick w/ driver

have to make sure 1st move is to load -- even more -- and not reverse weight shift into left foot

also have to be careful you dont (hang back) get stuck on the back foot.
Adams Idea Pro Gold 4-PW GAT95
Adams Idea Pro 50*&60* GAT95
RBZ 3iron Matrix95 +1/2" 2strong
R9 TP 13* opened to 11.8* Diamana 83
R9 TP 420cc 9.5 Speeder VC 6.0
Imola TP w/ AGSI

#4 Pinsplitter59

Pinsplitter59

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132387
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

John Daly once said to do that.
don't forget the Abe Mitchell fan club too.
it might be that just emphasizing on foot with more weight gives you a good feel for transferring the weight.
a bit more on the front foot seems to help with feeling a transfer  to the rear foot.
with even weight on both feet it seems harder to feel or do the transfer for some reason.
just a thought.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors