Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

When should someone get fitted for new clubs

Fitting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Theoo

Mr_Theoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208477
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Ok, so i have searched and searched and still havent found an answer to my question, which is when should someone get fitted for a new set of clubs.

Should it be during the offseason when they have time to adjust to the new set or during the season when their swing is more grooved and consistent.

The reason I am asking is because i recently bought a set of irons this past spring after taking the game up this year ( I was

hooked after my first session to the range BTW) So i went to Golfsmith to get myself a nice set of clubs, something i could

grow into as my game and swing developed. Well jump to the end of the season and after lessons and much practice i feel

like i might be outgrowing my set already. they are the NIKE VRS cast irons. Overall i like but do not love them, but more

recently as i have improved im noticing my shots are ballooning and im hitting almost everything fat. i feel like i cant put a full

swing into them because i end up slicing it very badly or the just fly very high in the air and there is no distance to them. So

ive been looking at getting a new set that is fitted for me not just something off the shelf but now thats its winter time in Ohio

I'm worried that if i get fitted and buy now but end up taking more lessons and improving more ill be back in the same spot

next season. So any help would be much appreciated thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 385

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Once you start playing on a regular basis and have some scores that are consistent think
about moving to a better set.

Get fit before you buy, what other time would make sense.

Edited by Guia, 19 November 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#3 minteq

minteq

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

For me, I did not get fit for a set of irons until I felt that my swing was consistent, other people feel differently.  I got mine when I was fitted in November so I could use to them over the winter at the local dome.  For me this was the best way.  I feel until the swing is consistent and repeatable hold off on the fitting.  I went thru the progression, game improvement to mid level to blades, I finally settled on my 15's, for me a good balance of control and forgiveness.
Titleist 910D2 Proj X Black
Ping I20 3wd Proj X Black
Titleist 712U 3 TTXP105s
Titleist AP2 714 4-pw TT XP105s
Nike Method 003
Titleist SM4 56/60

#4 CoVertStaff13

CoVertStaff13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114044

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

As a clubfitter for one of the Northeast's most respected shops with four locations and a clientele willing to travel hundreds of miles for the reputation and process by which it was earned, I can tell you that a quality club-fitter considers it, his/her responsibility to make a would-be client aware when their swing isn't repeatable or consistent enough to be fitted properly. In such a situation, we would explain the mechanics of the fitting process as it applies to all golfers, and the specific concerns we have with respect to the golfer in question. Subsequently, we may refer them to one of the PGA staff members for lessons, in addition to doing our best to find a working set of used clubs with which, said golfer, could begin developing a consistent swing and the confidence that follows. A salesman will take you down the path of least resistance, whereas an advisor leads you to where you ought to be, even if, initially, it's a little uncomfortable. That being said, find yourself a reputable shop that has your best interests in mind, and you'll never again struggle with an equipment question, that quite honestly, shouldn't be your responsibility to answer alone.

Performance Clubworks
1Sand Cut Road
Brookfield, CT 06801
(203) 775-3119

#5 will227457

will227457

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116125
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

buy standard loft and lie, unless your arms are dragging on the ground or you are super tall or super short...

hiting the ball fat, slicing with a full swing, these are swing faults...get this fixed make sure that your swing is repeatable and get the most out of your fitting

#6 Flyersby99

Flyersby99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60877
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I agree with the above in regards to consistent swing.  As you stated in your post, your concerns seem to be that you swing now may differ then next years swing.  I have the same issue.  My HC is a 9 but my swing varies slightly year to year.

For example, I was fit a few years ago for irons by my own wish.  I took all of the data they provided but never pulled the trigger on the new irons for the reason stated that I felt my swing was not consistent enough.  I went to 3 seperate fittings over a 15 month time frame (at the same place - the professional there is a friend) and each time they were different.  Not extreme but different.  In that case, it may seem to be the right thing to get something in the middle and try to get a consistent, repeatable swing.  If that happens it will not matter whether you get fit in December or in July.

#7 JB lefty

JB lefty

JB

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119043
  • Ebay ID:cashdupjb
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Take the off season and practise. Have a few lessons and really focus on having a consistent swing.  Once you have this then go and get fitted. I would advise at the moment of having a few lessons and concentrate your efforts on your swing.  In most cases its the indian not the arrow. Poor fitted gear will limit you but foundation swing errors will hurt your score more.
Optiforce 440 Matrix Black 7M3 X flex
X2Hot 5 wood with stock shaft (cannon)
Apex Pro 4-AW KBS Tour V X flex SS1
Callaway Jaws Wedges 56,60
One spot available any ideas?
Odyssey DF550 blade putter/ Pro v 1 ball

#8 duffer987

duffer987

Canadian in California

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

Improving and hitting shots fat, slicing, and ballooning, do not typically go together.
As others have said, get a good repeatable swing, then worry about your next set of irons.
Then you can get fit, have a cracking set of irons, and enjoy them for a very long time* :)

*A proper long time, like years even, not a WRX long time ;)
Terrible swing. Mixed results.
913D2 9.5* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Adams DHy 18* | Titleist 913H 21*
Cally XHP 4I - 5I | X-Forged 6I - PW
Cally Forged 54* 60* | Odyssey #9
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#9 Mr_Theoo

Mr_Theoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208477

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

So i bit the bullet so to speak of and went to get my driver fitted. I went to a local pro shop that uses a device called a "fit chip" to find the proper shaft flex for a player. So after warming up and getting my current equipment measured for flex it showed that my clubs were in the senior flex range as opposed to the regular that i thought i had bought when I purchased them. So we go outside and hit some balls with the fit chip on my driver and 6 iron. then he analzyed the data and had me test a few options. At first we thought i needed a stiffer shaft but i ended up going to a softer flex and it worked. I got my driver back today after they swapped the shaft for me and it was like someone turned the light on. My drives were long and straight, almost to a draw were before id be happy if I could fade it without slicing it. I know i still have a lot of work to do to improve but its kinda nice knowing that now i can blame the indian and not the arrow

Also tagged with Fitting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors