Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 6 votes

Taylormade Rocketbladez vs Taylormade MC: Comparison pictures and quick review

213 replies to this topic

#61 dmael

dmael

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4481
  • Ebay ID:dmael326
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostBirdieBob, on 20 November 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

View Postdmael, on 20 November 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

View Postmosesgolf, on 19 November 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

MC 6 iron loft 30*  RBZ Blade 6 iron loft 26.5*
MC 7 irons loft 34* RBZ Blade 7 iron loft 30.5*

Do you get the picture?
You're really not hitting it longer imo.  The difference is marginal.  You hit a MC 6iron vs an RBZ Blade 7 iron which are essentially the same lofts and you'll hit them pretty close as far as distance is concerned.  Not and apples to apples comparison when there is 3.5* difference in lofts.

Absolutely!  I have been playing a second-hand set of RocketBALLZ irons recently (not my primary irons -- I generally game a mixed set of Mizunos ... JPX800 Tour 5 through 7 and MP-53 8-PW).  I had a chance to demo the RocketBLADEZ on Saturday, and hit several shots side-by-side with the corresponding RocketBALLZ irons (steel shafts ... R-flex).  The launch, trajectory, and distance was virtually IDENTICAL for both iron models, and although the RocketBLADEZ look a bit better, I would not spend the money to get them, as I am pretty happy with the RocketBALLZ irons.  For the record, I have birdied all but two par-3s since putting the RocketBALLZ irons in my bag, and I have been closer to making aces on about five occasions using these irons than I have ever been in the past.

Doug

What iron did you try side by side?
Keep in mind that the 3,4,5 irons in the RBladez get the most improvement in distance due to the speed pocket that the RBallz don't have.

Here is a side by side profile of the RBallz on left vs the RBladez on right...some definite design changes with the Speed Pocket!

I hit the 5, 7, and 9 irons side-by-side.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 dmael

dmael

• 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4481
  • Ebay ID:dmael326
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

By the way -- In my opinion, that whole "speed pocket" argument is a bunch of marketing hype!  The hollow hybrid-like clubhead on the 3, 4, and 5 irons in the RocketBALLZ set has about the same effect as the "speed pocket", in my opinion.

#63 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

So I got that going for me, which is nice

• 2,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182718
  • Handicap:+0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

View Postdmael, on 20 November 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

Do you get the picture?
You're really not hitting it longer imo.  The difference is marginal.  You hit a MC 6iron vs an RBZ Blade 7 iron which are essentially the same lofts and you'll hit them pretty close as far as distance is concerned.  Not and apples to apples comparison when there is 3.5* difference in lofts.

Absolutely!  I have been playing a second-hand set of RocketBALLZ irons recently (not my primary irons -- I generally game a mixed set of Mizunos ... JPX800 Tour 5 through 7 and MP-53 8-PW).  I had a chance to demo the RocketBLADEZ on Saturday, and hit several shots side-by-side with the corresponding RocketBALLZ irons (steel shafts ... R-flex).  The launch, trajectory, and distance was virtually IDENTICAL for both iron models, and although the RocketBLADEZ look a bit better, I would not spend the money to get them, as I am pretty happy with the RocketBALLZ irons.  For the record, I have birdied all but two par-3s since putting the RocketBALLZ irons in my bag, and I have been closer to making aces on about five occasions using these irons than I have ever been in the past.

Doug

Keep in mind that the 3,4,5 irons in the RBladez get the most improvement in distance due to the speed pocket that the RBallz don't have.

Here is a side by side profile of the RBallz on left vs the RBladez on right...some definite design changes with the Speed Pocket!

Its not really distance that made me want to game these irons, but how easy it was to launch these into the air, and how they kept going the same distance.  It was consistent distance, not just raw distance.
Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5* Oban White
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* Diaman S+ 72
Taylormade SLDR 17* 2 Hybrid S+ 82
Taylormade 4-6 CB & 7-PW MC CT Lite
Taylormade Spider Mallet
Taylormade ATV 51* 55* 60*

#64 jack1123

jack1123

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134018
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

I already hit a very high ball with AP2s with x100s, I worry these would just be too high (plus the AP2s are as thick a top line as id go). Maybe the tours would do it for me

#65 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

LOFT UP+ 17/1700

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12966
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostCaesar Palache, on 20 November 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

View Postdmael, on 20 November 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

Do you get the picture?

Doug

Its not really distance that made me want to game these irons, but how easy it was to launch these into the air, and how they kept going the same distance.  It was consistent distance, not just raw distance.

Yes, that is the improvement with the Speed Pocket, the hits on the lower part of the club face get into the air more easily when compared to past irons.  This improves consistency in ball trajectory height compared to other irons.

Edited by BirdieBob, 20 November 2012 - 05:34 PM.

TM JDM TP 10*430 SLDR, AD-DI 6x Black LE
TM Stage 2 13 TS, 16.5*, AD-DI 7x
TM `14 TP CB 3-5, Recoil Proto 95 X
TM `14 TP MC 6-8, Recoil Proto 95-110 X
TM `14 TP MB 9,P, Recoil Proto 110 X
Vokey TVD 50, 54, 58 Custom Birdie Bob

#66 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

RocketBladez TOURS are going to be an awesome set because they are more of a players irons.
PING i25 9.5 UST Elements Chrome
Callaway XHP 15* Fubuki Ax
PING G25 20 & 23* Hyrbid
PING G25 5-UW
Murdered TM Spider
Callaway MD2's 56/60

#67 bph7

bph7

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135739
GolfWRX Likes : 892

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

To those of you who for some reason think anyone interested in adding yardage to their irons is just an idiot and that it's going to hurt their games:  Get over yourselves.  If you don't want the extra distance or are convinced that there is no added distance and it's all smoke and mirrors, then don't buy them.  A lot of us are excited about this new technology and it appears that everyone who has seriously tried them has noticed great distance gains and improved dispersion.  Sure, the lofts may be stronger, but most are reporting a club and a half or more of distance, which the loft would not alone account for.  Also, TMAG has even said that they are longer than the Rocketballz, which HAVE THE SAME LOFTS.  Also, NOT A SINGLE PERSON YET has said "you know what, I hit the 7, but I could tell all along that it was really a 6", everyone has generally just noticed added distance and accuracy over the same club in their current set, which has more loft and so at the very least should have tighter dispersion.  So, even though this may be coming from some dumb idiot who is apparently going to need 7 wedges, let me just say, I don't need your help setting up my bag, I'll just try these for myself and see if they work.

#68 chinman101

chinman101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167893
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Nice review.  Can't wait to try....

#69 emac417

emac417

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3511
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

Thanks CP,
nice review!

#70 Pack7483

Pack7483

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178002
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

I agree with BPH7. I don't buy the more wedges argument either.  I currently play a 48* PW, 54sw, 60lw. I am buying the rocketbladez 4-AW. The AW is 50* and should fly about the same distance as my current 48* PW, and my current rac 54(bend to 55) and 60 can stay in the bag. Where I am excited is the 4-7 irons.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 yumanike

yumanike

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148205
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Here is what I'm interested in. I currently have 5i-SW for irons. Here are my distances:
5i-180
6i-170
7i-160
8i-150
9i-140
PW (46*)-130
GW(50*)-115
SW(54*)-100
I like that my gaps are manageable and I can choke down a half inch or an inch if I am between clubs. How will the set of Rocketbladez perform overall? Do I now have 15 to 20 yard gaps for 5-7 iron which then goes to around 10 for the rest of the set without the speed pocket? I guess I could adjust to that by choking down 2 inches to fill gaps in the longer irons. If it replaces my 4 hybrid, I can add another wedge. I really don't care about the distances. What intrigues me is the claims of tighter dispersion and forgiveness. I play X-16 Pro Series now and I love them. I have hit successful shots off the toe that never touched a groove and they still pretty much get where I need them (not proud of that). I will try and demo both the Rocketbladez and Rocketbladez Tour to see if it is worth the upgrade.

#72 remiandkramer

remiandkramer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85019
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Great review, I was very excited to see this topic pop up on the golfwrx home page, thanks.  I was hoping for a MC vs 'bladez Tour comparison but nonetheless I'm appreciative of the interesting review you did for the site.  

For me, I'm waiting for the MC's to come down in price and make the determination if the 'bladez Tour's are worth the extra cost.  

I played TM Burner 2.0's this summer and they were ok but the flight was way too high for my tastes with the stock stiff shafts.  I already sold them via eBay.

The added ball flight height of the lower lofted, longer flying Rocketbladez is difficult to wrap my head around without actually hitting them.  The words high and penetrating in the same sentence is difficult to accept.  I've always admired watching tour pros keep their ball down and still manage to spin the ball on their approach shots.  To me that spelled 'control' but maybe that has changed (or I'm wrong).

If it's true, I do like knowing the sweet spot is larger especially in the longer irons.  The added distance TM is boasting with especially the longer irons is great for guys like me who like staring down at an iron, the feel of an iron as opposed to a hybrid (even though I might be better off playing a hybrid as a 7 handicap).

I hope they offer shaft options for the Tour's like the C-Taper's or something similar.

Edited by remiandkramer, 21 November 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#73 bfrey64

bfrey64

Too much SNOW!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85360
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

i am glad to see that many of you are noticing the marking genius of Taylormade making people think they are hitting the ball further with "new" technology.  When will people realize you can't buy a game.  Take the funds that you would spend on new equipment and use it for greens fees and lessons.  Otherwise your wasting your money.  That's why I love this game, many of golfers will buy new clubs at a high price and sell them really low because taylormade will release rocketballz 2.0 in the next three months that will have a black finish that "reduces glare and increases ball speedz" and in 9 months TMAG will release the limited edition Rocketballz Ghost ironz, some how this club has super natural powers that will increase club head speed and improve accuracy.  Problem is that TMAG knows that we are all suckers for gimmicks and as long as we are all suckers we will be buying things that we really don't know.  I guess the TMAG cool aid must taste great until your disappointed at the results and you try to sell them six months later only to realize you will get next to nothing on a trade in or on ebay.  Good luck and Happy Holidays!!!

#74 lenny318

lenny318

• 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139412
  • Ebay ID:Lenny318

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

good review CP, thank you!

#75 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

LOFT UP+ 17/1700

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

View Postbfrey64, on 21 November 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

i am glad to see that many of you are noticing the marking genius of Taylormade making people think they are hitting the ball further with "new" technology.  When will people realize you can't buy a game.  Take the funds that you would spend on new equipment and use it for greens fees and lessons.  Otherwise your wasting your money.  That's why I love this game, many of golfers will buy new clubs at a high price and sell them really low because taylormade will release rocketballz 2.0 in the next three months that will have a black finish that "reduces glare and increases ball speedz" and in 9 months TMAG will release the limited edition Rocketballz Ghost ironz, some how this club has super natural powers that will increase club head speed and improve accuracy.  Problem is that TMAG knows that we are all suckers for gimmicks and as long as we are all suckers we will be buying things that we really don't know.  I guess the TMAG cool aid must taste great until your disappointed at the results and you try to sell them six months later only to realize you will get next to nothing on a trade in or on ebay.  Good luck and Happy Holidays!!!

Dude, the whole point of this thread is to determine if these irons are indeed an improvement!  This is not about marketing as Caesar was hitting real balls with real irons.  Improvements can and do happen to golf clubs and to say it is all just marketing is keeping ones head in the sand.

You may be correct, but first lets hit them and see what the feedback is first before dismissing them from the getgo.

Happy Holidays!!!!

#76 bfrey64

bfrey64

Too much SNOW!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostBirdieBob, on 21 November 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Dude, the whole point of this thread is to determine if these irons are indeed an improvement!  This is not about marketing as Caesar was hitting real balls with real irons.  Improvements can and do happen to golf clubs and to say it is all just marketing is keeping ones head in the sand.

You may be correct, but first lets hit them and see what the feedback is first before dismissing them from the getgo.

Happy Holidays!!!!

Improvement lies within the golfer not the club.  Don't compare two opposite types of clubs.  My question is improvement against what?  One being a forged players club, the other a game improvement club with jacked up lofts.  That's what we have here.  I can hit a GI iron better then a forged club and I can hit a 7 iron that is longer in length and stronger lofts then one that is a quarter of inch shorter and has 3.5 degrees more loft.  It's great to see someone giving a review but don't compare apples to oranges and place it on the front page.  Compare it to the burner 2.0's or some other GI iron, but not next to a forged players iron.  That's what we have here and it doesn't make sense to me that it is posted there.  Not the OP fault, it's great for him to review the products, I am having a hard time comparing these two items. Talyormade is a marketing genius and that's why they are one of golfs top performing companies.  Good luck and have a happy turkey day.  Nice review, but I just can't wrap my head around the comparison.

Edited by bfrey64, 21 November 2012 - 11:09 AM.

#77 bfrey64

bfrey64

Too much SNOW!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostProBowler, on 20 November 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostStevens24, on 20 November 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Man some of you are stubborn. This isn't the 1970's where you just have a piece of metal on the end of a shaft. The technology behind these has do with launch angle and center of gravity. by lowering the center of gravity and adjusting the launch angle the 7 iron launches at a similar angle to a 7 iron but do to changes in construction to maintain that launch the club needs less loft. As the set get closer to the PW this isn't as exaggerated. So I would not expect that the 45 degree PW is that much longer than my CG16 tour at 46 degrees. I will carry a 50,54,58 like always. If you don't like it don't buy them but if i can take a smooth swing and hit my 4 iron 205 and get forgiveness, i am probably in. My loyalty is to one thing, the number on my card.

View PostStevens24, on 20 November 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Man some of you are stubborn. This isn't the 1970's where you just have a piece of metal on the end of a shaft. The technology behind these has do with launch angle and center of gravity. by lowering the center of gravity and adjusting the launch angle the 7 iron launches at a similar angle to a 7 iron but do to changes in construction to maintain that launch the club needs less loft. As the set get closer to the PW this isn't as exaggerated. So I would not expect that the 45 degree PW is that much longer than my CG16 tour at 46 degrees. I will carry a 50,54,58 like always. If you don't like it don't buy them but if i can take a smooth swing and hit my 4 iron 205 and get forgiveness, i am probably in. My loyalty is to one thing, the number on my card.

Haters will always have their minds made up ....... Smarter people will take advantage of technology and use it !!!!

TMAG will always take advantage of the wallets of its consumers!!!  Technology has only advanced so far in recent years!!!

#78 BirdieBob

BirdieBob

LOFT UP+ 17/1700

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

View Postbfrey64, on 21 November 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

Happy Holidays!!!!

Improvement lies within the golfer not the club.  Don't compare two opposite types of clubs.  My question is improvement against what?  One being a forged players club, the other a game improvement club with jacked up lofts.  That's what we have here.  I can hit a GI iron better then a forged club and I can hit a 7 iron that is longer in length and stronger lofts then one that is a quarter of inch shorter and has 3.5 degrees more loft.  It's great to see someone giving a review but don't compare apples to oranges and place it on the front page.  Compare it to the burner 2.0's or some other GI iron, but not next to a forged players iron.  That's what we have here and it doesn't make sense to me that it is posted there.  Not the OP fault, it's great for him to review the products, I am having a hard time comparing these two items. Talyormade is a marketing genius and that's why they are one of golfs top performing companies.  Good luck and have a happy turkey day.  Nice review, but I just can't wrap my head around the comparison.

As I said this is a Thread about the results of hitting the new RBladez irons.  Caesar did not have alot of options of irons to compare them with but choose his "gamer" set.  What better irons to compare them with.  If he is seeing improvements over his gamer set then that is what we need to demonstrate in this thread.

Let others join with their results with these irons and that way many can determine for themselves if these irons might be a better fit for them.
The technology has changed, so lets see the results.

If one wants to bash the TM marketing then there are several threads about the release of these irons, so go there and preach your wisdom for all to read.  This thread is about results.

BB

#79 tdelam

tdelam

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177540
  • Handicap:9.4
  • Ebay ID:tdelamor
GolfWRX Likes : 389

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

View Postbph7, on 20 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

To those of you who for some reason think anyone interested in adding yardage to their irons is just an idiot and that it's going to hurt their games:  Get over yourselves.  If you don't want the extra distance or are convinced that there is no added distance and it's all smoke and mirrors, then don't buy them.  A lot of us are excited about this new technology and it appears that everyone who has seriously tried them has noticed great distance gains and improved dispersion.  Sure, the lofts may be stronger, but most are reporting a club and a half or more of distance, which the loft would not alone account for.  Also, TMAG has even said that they are longer than the Rocketballz, which HAVE THE SAME LOFTS.  Also, NOT A SINGLE PERSON YET has said "you know what, I hit the 7, but I could tell all along that it was really a 6", everyone has generally just noticed added distance and accuracy over the same club in their current set, which has more loft and so at the very least should have tighter dispersion.  So, even though this may be coming from some dumb idiot who is apparently going to need 7 wedges, let me just say, I don't need your help setting up my bag, I'll just try these for myself and see if they work.

Settle down with the childish name calling and aggressiveness, nobody is telling you how to set up your bag; relax. This is a discussion about the new irons and obviously technology in these irons play a HUGE role. Everyone is absolutely positively correct in regards to lashing out and pondering at them given the track record TMAG has with overhyping their products. These irons are no different. Nobody wants to tell you how to set up your bag, lol...

However, I'd like to point out that you're wrong when you say that not a single person has noticed odd distance changes and you might want to re-read some of the others who have demo'd these irons, there are a lot of negative feedback, just as much there are positives. To say this is NEW technology is also totally wrong http://www.golfwrx.c...dez-technology/

Back to the discussion; the irons. To me they look pretty ugly, the name is rather silly, and I don't buy the distance benefits stuff they're pushing. One of the reps agrees that the previous distance irons were inconsistently hot off the face and says that the "speed pocket" manages this but he couldn't fully explain why, I think he hard a time *really* understanding the product himself! I used to game the Burner 2.0's which were hyped up the same way these were. I found the distance so inconsistent on them to the point where I was using a 9i when I normally used a PW, and I used a 8i where I normally used a 6i!! None of it made any sense so I gave the irons away, that was my second set of "distance irons" from TM that they've hyped up and that have failed. I decided to give TM another chance and bought into their Tour Preferred line first with the TM CB and then to the TM MC's and have been happy simply because there is not all of this technology crap surrounding them. They're consistent, they look nice in simplicity, they don't have a silly name attached them and they sure as hell are not categorized as new technology from old technology; Wilson already had a "this little thing". I am not against technology but this "technology" is hard to swallow.

In any case, thanks for the comparison. I'll give them a shot at the range for a few weeks but I suspect they'll be like the burner 2.0's, rocketballz and the entire distance iron lines (burners) for every year their marketing is the same.

Disclaimer: I am not a TM hater; on the contrary. My entire bag is TM except my putter and the balls I play. What I am not a fan of is the hype they put into their products.

Edited by tdelam, 21 November 2012 - 11:56 AM.

TaylorMade SLDR Mini 14
TBD
Mizuno MP-53 3-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 F-Grind (52, 56)
Scotty Cameron Tei3

#80 trumb1mj1

trumb1mj1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184080
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Happy Holidays!!!!

I tend to agree with you in the iron arena.  I am a firm believer that the right set of irons already exists for the above average golfer.  That being said, technology is definitely changing the game--maybe less in irons and more in FW/Drivers.  

I definitely want to try hitting the 3i and see if I can find a really reliable club for off the tee (not too concerned about how this club would fill the gap between 4i and 19* hybrid).  I asked this before, but is anyone planning to try these for a long iron replacement?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#81 tdelam

tdelam

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I had to re-read the review because I keep hearing the same thing about these irons.

What gets me is how the reviewer classified workability, it does not make sense to me. He mentions that he plays the MC's because he likes to "work the ball from right to left" but you can work a ball left to right or right to left easy with any iron, driver, wood, wedge, or hybrid. You have a round ball and a flat club face, hitting a draw or fade with a players iron or a GI iron is no different...

Most often when people say workability they are usually referring to controlling height and distance of their shots so how can you compare this GI iron to a players iron in this respect??? That's the key for me in using the MC's. I am able to control my distance and flight precisely with every shot where as these Rocketballz, a distance iron, are built to always launch high. Did you hit some knock down shots or controlled shots or was this review merely distance comparison?

Edited by tdelam, 21 November 2012 - 12:55 PM.

TaylorMade SLDR Mini 14
TBD
Mizuno MP-53 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Tei3

#82 trumb1mj1

trumb1mj1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184080
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

View Posttdelam, on 21 November 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

I had to re-read the review because I keep hearing the same thing about these irons.

What gets me is how the reviewer classified workability, it does not make sense to me. He mentions that he plays the MC's because he likes to "work the ball from right to left" but you can work a ball left to right or right to left easy with any iron, driver, wood, wedge, or hybrid. You have a round ball and a flat club face, hitting a draw or fade with a players iron or a GI iron is no different...

Most often when people say workability they are usually referring to controlling height and distance of their shots so how can you compare this GI iron to a players iron in this respect??? That's the key for me in using the MC's. I am able to control my distance and flight precisely with every shot where as these Rocketballz, a distance iron, are built to always launch high. Did you hit some knock down shots or controlled shots or was this review merely distance comparison?

So you're saying that the term "workability" has nothing to do with directional shape?  I tend to disagree.

#83 tdelam

tdelam

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

View Posttrumb1mj1, on 21 November 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

So you're saying that the term "workability" has nothing to do with directional shape?  I tend to disagree.

I didn't say it has NOTHING to do with workability, that's a little extreme. I referenced workability because he only mentioned a draw shape, which can be done with any club, I am more interested in hearing about workability with high shots, low shots, punch shots etc... seems like these only go one direction and thats high. Ever try working a burner 2.0 low? put that back in your stance to no end and cross your fingers, not fun.
TaylorMade SLDR Mini 14
TBD
Mizuno MP-53 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Tei3

#84 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

• 2,561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Happy Holidays!!!!

I compared these two irons because I wanted people who play "players" irons to be able to see how this "game improvement" iron compares to the MC.  So someone who wouldn't normally play these may now keep their mind open to making the game easier with these irons.  I did not place it on the front page, i was lucky enough that Zach placed it there.  Again this review is for the better player who wanted to know how these stack up to a better players iron.

As for the lofts. Do you get your yardage and then say hmmm 30* loft will get me there. I don't think you do, I think you say a 6 iron will get me there.  Problem is the 6 iron descends steeper then a 7 iron.  With the Rocketbladez you hit one less iron, you hit it higher, and it comes down softer so its much easy to hold greens.  The Rocketbladez 7 may be lofted to a traditional 6 but if you've read any of my replies, Rocketbladez 7 launches like a tradition 8, goes high and carries like a tradition 6.  Jacked lofts are to keep the launch optimal, not to increase the distance.

if improvement lies in the golfer everyone would still be player persimmon and hickory shafted bladez
Taylormade Spider Mallet

#85 tdelam

tdelam

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostCaesar Palache, on 21 November 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Happy Holidays!!!!

I compared these two irons because I wanted people who play "players" irons to be able to see how this "game improvement" iron compares to the MC.  So someone who wouldn't normally play these may now keep their mind open to making the game easier with these irons.  I did not place it on the front page, i was lucky enough that Zach placed it there.  Again this review is for the better player who wanted to know how these stack up to a better players iron.

As for the lofts. Do you get your yardage and then say hmmm 30* loft will get me there. I don't think you do, I think you say a 6 iron will get me there.  Problem is the 6 iron descends steeper then a 7 iron.  With the Rocketbladez you hit one less iron, you hit it higher, and it comes down softer so its much easy to hold greens.  The Rocketbladez 7 may be lofted to a traditional 6 but if you've read any of my replies, Rocketbladez 7 launches like a tradition 8, goes high and carries like a tradition 6.  Jacked lofts are to keep the launch optimal, not to increase the distance.

if improvement lies in the golfer everyone would still be player persimmon and hickory shafted bladez

"Jacked lofts are to keep the launch optimal, not to increase the distance." --- huh, "optimal launch"? Describe what "optimal launch" is. All of the years i've been playing i've never heard this term "optimal launch", perhaps you're referring to a high shot for high handicappers? If this is the case the side-effects that shot more often than not is a distance increase hence the lofted clubs, unless of course you're flopping a softy with a 6i but if you're doing this then you definitely don't want a GI distance iron :)

TaylorMade SLDR Mini 14
TBD
Mizuno MP-53 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Tei3

#86 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

• 2,561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Surprisingly it was quite easy to hit a knock down shot.  It wasn't like a hybrid or wood where it's hard to hit it low and long (unless you are Tiger or very skilled).  I hit a few shots where I tried to keep them low and straight and it was quite easy not to launch them to high.  They did what you'd expect of a knockdown, they went a touch shorter and sat down fairly well instead of running out and over a green. Of course hitting a knockdown with my MC iron feels much, much better.  That being said if you want to hit a knockdown...your going to have to know how to high a knockdown.  The weaker player who doesn't know how to keep it low won't quite be able to hit a consistent knockdown as I'm afraid they may lose it high and right as they bail out.

About wether this was a distance review, I'm sorry as I said in the post I did it in about 20 minutes and didn't get to do every test in the book.  I didn't care that they went longer, I cared that they went the same distance, over and over.
Taylormade Spider Mallet

#87 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

• 2,561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

View Posttdelam, on 21 November 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

View PostCaesar Palache, on 21 November 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Happy Holidays!!!!

"Jacked lofts are to keep the launch optimal, not to increase the distance." --- huh, "optimal launch"? Describe what "optimal launch" is. All of the years i've been playing i've never heard this term "optimal launch", perhaps you're referring to a high shot for high handicappers? If this is the case the side-effects that shot more often than not is a distance increase hence the lofted clubs, unless of course you're flopping a softy with a 6i but if you're doing this then you definitely don't want a GI distance iron :)

If your name is Gary Woodland and you are hitting a 12 degree driver you probably would launch it somewhere near 22*.  That is not an optimal launch.  Woodland plays a lower lofted driver because he is looking for an optimal launch.  Somewhere that the ball does not lose distance because it goes to high, or comes out to low and only carries so far.

So with the Rocketbladez they had to lower the lofts because the ball launches so high.  If you have traditional lofts you would hit the ball so high it wouldn't go anywhere.  That wouldn't be optimal launch.  Theres always a launch window you are aiming for when fitting someone for clubs.

Edited by Caesar Palache, 21 November 2012 - 02:10 PM.

Taylormade Spider Mallet

#88 tdelam

tdelam

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostCaesar Palache, on 21 November 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

Surprisingly it was quite easy to hit a knock down shot.  It wasn't like a hybrid or wood where it's hard to hit it low and long (unless you are Tiger or very skilled).  I hit a few shots where I tried to keep them low and straight and it was quite easy not to launch them to high.  They did what you'd expect of a knockdown, they went a touch shorter and sat down fairly well instead of running out and over a green. Of course hitting a knockdown with my MC iron feels much, much better.  That being said if you want to hit a knockdown...your going to have to know how to high a knockdown.  The weaker player who doesn't know how to keep it low won't quite be able to hit a consistent knockdown as I'm afraid they may lose it high and right as they bail out.

About wether this was a distance review, I'm sorry as I said in the post I did it in about 20 minutes and didn't get to do every test in the book.  I didn't care that they went longer, I cared that they went the same distance, over and over.

Interesting, thanks for the update. So, if I were to interpret this right working the ball flight with this game improvement distance iron requires more skill than working a players iron? I guess that's why everyone should get fitted properly and maybe that's why these hefty GI distance irons never worked for me in the past...
TaylorMade SLDR Mini 14
TBD
Mizuno MP-53 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Tei3

#89 tdelam

tdelam

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1353524952' post='5963033']
[quote name='tdelam' timestamp='1353524752' post='5963019']
[quote name='Caesar Palache' timestamp='1353524245' post='5962999']
[quote name='bfrey64' timestamp='1353513783' post='5962243']
[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1353513336' post='5962201']
[quote name='bfrey64' timestamp='1353511755' post='5962099']
[/quote]

Happy Holidays!!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If your name is Gary Woodland and you are hitting a 12 degree driver you probably would launch it somewhere near 22*.  That is not an optimal launch.  Woodland plays a lower lofted driver because he is looking for an optimal launch.  Somewhere that the ball does not lose distance because it goes to high, or comes out to low and only carries so far.

So with the Rocketbladez they had to lower the lofts because the ball launches so high.  If you have traditional lofts you would hit the ball so high it wouldn't go anywhere.  That wouldn't be optimal launch.  Theres always a launch window you are aiming for when fitting someone for clubs.
[/quote]

I see, thanks! so essentially, this is optimal for the average joes who struggle to find that "zone"?
TaylorMade SLDR Mini 14
TBD
Mizuno MP-53 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Tei3

#90 Caesar Palache

Caesar Palache

• 2,561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostBirdieBob, on 21 November 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Happy Holidays!!!!

As I said this is a Thread about the results of hitting the new RBladez irons.  Caesar did not have alot of options of irons to compare them with but choose his "gamer" set.  What better irons to compare them with.  If he is seeing improvements over his gamer set then that is what we need to demonstrate in this thread.

Let others join with their results with these irons and that way many can determine for themselves if these irons might be a better fit for them.
The technology has changed, so lets see the results.

If one wants to bash the TM marketing then there are several threads about the release of these irons, so go there and preach your wisdom for all to read.  This thread is about results.

BB

Thank you for having an open mind and understand the loft/launch issue I have been talking about.

I have about a dozen demo sets of irons at the shop to compare to the Rocketbladez but I thought more people would be interested in a players iron vs the Rocketbladez since most people will write this iron off as an iron for a 15 handicapper, and the fact that as you said, they are my gamer irons so what better set to compare.

And just to let everyone know, my golfwrx name may be Caesar Palache, but that is not my real name.  I am not Italian/Spanish.  Non the less call me Caesar all you want.

Taylormade Spider Mallet

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors