Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Changing Lie - Factory or Pro Shop?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125633
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hello everyone!  Been lurking for a few years now but I am finally taking the dive in getting new irons...specifically the Cobra Amp irons.

Most places have them on sale for $499 but with a coupon (Dicks or TGW) it comes down to $399.

Buuuut, I need to make it upright.  So, it's either buy the standards and have  proshop bend them for like $50 bucks or buy them custom from TGW or Golfsmith for the full $499.

I know it's pretty minor but wanted to get opinions on whether getting them factory custom is a better option than getting standard and having them adjusted.  I know it's only $50 bucks but if there is virtually no difference, saving $50 is always a good thing.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by g8tor20, 19 November 2012 - 01:38 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 matchavez

matchavez

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105858
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Go get fitted by a local, independent professional. After that, you have a choice. Buy from the pro, or buy with exact specs.
Titleist 913D3 8.5, Fd 13.5, Hd 18, 23
Diamana D+White 72/82/92/102x
Apex Pro 5i-A, Recoil 110 F5 Proto
Miura 53, Cally MD2 58.10u, PX 6.0
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C
Bridgestone B-330, Leupold GX-3i

#3 markp

markp

golfdude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4696
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

The one thing for sure is if they are bent a a local pro shop by a good builder then you know the specs are right. I ordered a set of irons first part of the season we checked them when they came in and they were off on loft and lie angle.  
I would buy the set from Dick's then have them bent if they are charging you to bend the lie angles they should check the loft for you also and make sure it's correct.

#4 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Thanks guys.

I got professionaly fitted for Pings a few years ago and know my specs for the most part.  I'm standard length and 2 degrees upright.  Of course my swing may be completely different now.   I live in South Florida where it gets too packed and expensive to play in the winter so I pretty much have to re-invent my swing every spring.

I just wanted to make sure that getting the lie adjusted locally isn't a bad thing when it comes time to re-sell them or whatnot.  I agree with Markp about getting them done at the proshop would give me some assurance that the specs are indeed right.

#5 Bobtrumpet

Bobtrumpet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199378
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

View Postg8tor20, on 19 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

I got professionaly fitted for Pings a few years ago and know my specs for the most part.  I'm standard length and 2 degrees upright.

Since there is no "standard" between manufacturers, 2 degrees upright from "std" for Ping may not be the same as 2 degrees upright from "std" for Cobra (same for "std" lengths). You need to work with absolute numbers when dealing with lie and length, and they need to be measured the same way with the same reference locations. And while the manufacturers publish their "std" measurements, that doesn't mean that what you get is correct. Have them checked after purchase and corrected as needed.

#6 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Bob.  Had not thought of that really.  

After hearing some of your thoughts, I have decided to get professionally fitted again.  I was hesitant because I've heard the golfsmith's 30 minute $49 fitting can be hit and miss and the more thorough GolfTec fitting was $99 but could not be used towards the purchase.

Anyways....I did find a local golf shop that has the AMPs at the same price.  They do a 1 hour fitting for $75 but it can be used towards the purchase.  So, I guess I will pay the few extra bucks and get it done right.

Thanks everyone

#7 markp

markp

golfdude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

View Postg8tor20, on 19 November 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Thanks Bob.  Had not thought of that really.  

After hearing some of your thoughts, I have decided to get professionally fitted again.  I was hesitant because I've heard the golfsmith's 30 minute $49 fitting can be hit and miss and the more thorough GolfTec fitting was $99 but could not be used towards the purchase.

Anyways....I did find a local golf shop that has the AMPs at the same price.  They do a 1 hour fitting for $75 but it can be used towards the purchase.  So, I guess I will pay the few extra bucks and get it done right.

Thanks everyone
That sounds lik a great plan. always best to make sure it all is fit to your swing. Just a little info for thought in my set I play three different lie angles in my wedges up to 9 iron I play ping blue dot, in my 8 iron to 6 iron I play yellow dot, and my 5 iron to my 3 iron I play green dot.
This was done for me the first time about 6 years ago and has worked well for me. So when i get a new set of irons I take them and have them bent to the different lie angles per Ping numbers.

#8 SCOTT4099

SCOTT4099

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81951
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

Always factory, the pro shop will not replace them if damaged and the manufacturers warranty would also be void at that point....as long as you know what specs you need.

#9 markp

markp

golfdude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostSCOTT4099, on 21 November 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

Always factory, the pro shop will not replace them if damaged and the manufacturers warranty would also be void at that point....as long as you know what specs you need.
For the most part all companies are not using metal that breaks when your trying to bend them as in the past. I have has over 20 sets of irons bent and have never had a poblem.

#10 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,044 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1000

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

View Postg8tor20, on 19 November 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

Hello everyone!  Been lurking for a few years now but I am finally taking the dive in getting new irons...specifically the Cobra Amp irons.

Most places have them on sale for $499 but with a coupon (Dicks or TGW) it comes down to $399.

Buuuut, I need to make it upright.  So, it's either buy the standards and have  proshop bend them for like $50 bucks or buy them custom from TGW or Golfsmith for the full $499.

I know it's pretty minor but wanted to get opinions on whether getting them factory custom is a better option than getting standard and having them adjusted.  I know it's only $50 bucks but if there is virtually no difference, saving $50 is always a good thing.

Thanks in advance.

I can guarantee loft and lie angles of any club set provided by OEM are going to read differently on the local club builders Mitchell.  I advise buying standard specs and take them to your "trusted" local club builder and have the lofts and lie angles set to your specs.  Make sure you write down standard OEM specs, and have your club builder reset to those specs (base line) first... then readjust to your desired spec.

That said, I never concern myself with OEM guarantees on irons.  However, if that's a big issue for you, then you have your answer.  Order then as you want them.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors