Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Can Golf GPS apps work with tablets?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 landshark

landshark

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9504
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

ok,  i'm not real tech savvy, but may be getting a small tablet with android apps available.   so my question is will this allow me to get a golf gps onto it and use it? if not, what would i need?  don't want to pay fees.

Edited by landshark, 20 November 2012 - 09:58 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 768

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Check your tablets specs.

If your tablet has a gps locator built in, it should work.

#3 TheBoomer

TheBoomer

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67458
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Your tablet will have locations services and GPS locator.

BUT

You'll need Internet access.

Edited by GoogleMe, 20 November 2012 - 10:34 AM.

Ping G30 Tour AD BB6s
TaylorMade SLDR Kali
Ping G20 5 Wood
Miura CB1957 SteelFiber i95s
Miura 51/55/59 C Taper S+
Scotty Cameron Newport II Circle T
WITB Link

#4 landshark

landshark

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

ok,  so i could download one of the droid apps and use it, but it has wi-fi.   so would that mean it could come in and out while using it?

#5 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

I don't have any answers because I don't have a tablet but a dedicated GPS golf device.  From what I've heard from others, their tablet was an inconvenience because of its size and they couldn't find a good place to keep it while playing.

#6 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:7.0

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

Also tablets are not built - even in a simple case - to withstand the shock of being in and out of a cart all day. I've dropped my MX+ dozens of time onto the cart path and nothing has happened to it. Seen the same with SkyCaddies and various lasers - including my own. One drop of a tablet and that thing would be done.
X2Hot Pro 8.5* - Tour Green
X2HP 15* / SLDR TP 15*
X2HP 18* - Tour Green / TM UDI 1 iron
TM SLDR 4-PW - Steelfiber 95s
Cleveland RTG 52*/56*/60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 1W 36"
TM Tour Preferred

#7 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

you would need a tablet with cellular wireless to get this to work. Plus the good ones cost money.
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#8 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 768

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

If you need a cellular network (not just a gps locator) for these tablets to work, then how do Skycaddies and whatnots do their thing?

::really asking, not trying to be an asseldonk::

EDIT:

Ipad 1, won't work
Ipad 2, will work with an add on GOS dongle and a 3g connection
Ipad 3, should work out of the box as it has a built in GPS locator.

Edited by Hateto3Putt, 22 November 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#9 cyman83

cyman83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129467
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostHateto3Putt, on 22 November 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

If you need a cellular network (not just a gps locator) for these tablets to work, then how do Skycaddies and whatnots do their thing?

::really asking, not trying to be an asseldonk::

EDIT:

Ipad 1, won't work
Ipad 2, will work with an add on GOS dongle and a 3g connection
Ipad 3, should work out of the box as it has a built in GPS locator.

Wrong. all generations of iPads will work, just need to buy the 3G/4G/LTE version.

#10 MaxBuck

MaxBuck

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188504
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

In theory this should work, but be aware that most tablets don't have GPS antennas that are the equal of a typical smartphone.

You can always buy an outboard Bluetooth GPS device from someone like TomTom (I think you can get one for about $30) that will help to improve both accuracy and response.  Seems like a lot of squeeze for the juice, though.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 retexan599

retexan599

John Hanley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92724
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

I use the Golfshot app on my iPad 2 and it works just fine.  I keep the iPad in the cart with me.  My iPad is WiFi + 3G. In fact the main reason I got the 3G feature was to be able to use the iPad as my golf course GPS (it's also my automobile GPS).  I prefer the iPad version because the bigger screen is easy to read.  I think the app costs something like $30/yr but don't remember exactly; looks like it is currently on sale for $20/yr from iTunes.  I keep my statistics on the Golfshot web site and download each round to my hard drive.  Also very useful for measuring and recording the length of my shots.  Just FYI, I use my iPad for many things besides golf: e-books, weather radar, news, internet, games, note taking, forums, etc.

#12 landshark

landshark

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

View Postretexan599, on 26 November 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

I use the Golfshot app on my iPad 2 and it works just fine.  I keep the iPad in the cart with me.  My iPad is WiFi + 3G. In fact the main reason I got the 3G feature was to be able to use the iPad as my golf course GPS (it's also my automobile GPS).  I prefer the iPad version because the bigger screen is easy to read.  I think the app costs something like $30/yr but don't remember exactly; looks like it is currently on sale for $20/yr from iTunes.  I keep my statistics on the Golfshot web site and download each round to my hard drive.  Also very useful for measuring and recording the length of my shots.  Just FYI, I use my iPad for many things besides golf: e-books, weather radar, news, internet, games, note taking, forums, etc.
i think i'm getting one of last year's HP tablets from someone cheap.  main use is internet, but may take it along the course if it's not a bother.  i think i'd have to get the bluetooth add on thing to get gps though.   i hope this would work??  i don't have a data plan though.

#13 wdwfan78

wdwfan78

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99419
  • Ebay ID:wdwfan78
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Golf GPS apps for Smartphones and Tablets require a 3G/4G data plan. They use a tech called A-GPS that requires a data signal that allows for triangulation. A GolfCaddie works because it uses a dedicated GPS module, cell phones and tablets do not. A wi-fi only connection will not work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors