Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lead Tip Weight Alternative

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MattMo

MattMo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102846
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

I am reshafting my father-in-law's driver today as a last minute favor for him.  The shaft has been cut down about 3/4" inch, so I was going to use a lead tip weight to bring SW up, but am all out and don't have time to wait for more to ship.

It got me thinking, in a pinch is there an alternative to a lead tip weight I can use?  One thought I had was taking my Dremel tool and buzzing the threads off a round bolt and dropping the head down in the driver hosel.  Assuming I can finde a head comprable in weight to the lead tip weight, this should work right?  Janky, yes.  Stupid?  Perhaps, but would love to hear thoughts on this one, or other ideas.

Obviously, I could go the lead tape route if I have to, but he wants to avoid that if possible.  Realizing that I am probably opening myself up to some ridicule here...

Ping G25 9.5* w/ TFC
Ping G15 4W w/ TFC
Ping G15 20* Hybrid w/ GD YSQ
Ping G15 4-SW w/ AWT
Ping Tour S Rustique 60* w/ DG Spinner
Ping Redwood Anser

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 445

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

As long as the bolt head is not to thick, and you tip trim the difference, you can use a small bolt from the tip side just like a tip weight for Graphite shafts. There is no reason for why you cant, as long as it fits to the hosel and inside diameter of the shaft, but the head it self should not be more than 1/8 thick. If its more than this you loose insert dept.

Im using Wishons tungsten tip weights for graphite and they look just like a small bolt, but steel is not that heavy as Tungsten, and since the head must be small, the insert part who goes into the shaft must be quite long, depending on how much weight you wants to add. (just make sure the inserted part is not going above the edge of the hosel and you will be fine)

#3 QuickFeet

QuickFeet

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68520
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

How much weight?

If you have some powdered tungsten you can always add some to your shafting epoxy.

#4 rexroh

rexroh

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53327
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have used steel flat head nails in steel shafts.  I would be hesitant to use them in graphite because if they are too long they will likely cause the shaft to break.  Possible get away with it if the steel is below the hosel.

#5 MattMo

MattMo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102846
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostQuickFeet, on 19 November 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

How much weight?

If you have some powdered tungsten you can always add some to your shafting epoxy.

Looking to add about 4-5 grams.  Don't have tungsten powder.  Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ping G25 9.5* w/ TFC
Ping G15 4W w/ TFC
Ping G15 20* Hybrid w/ GD YSQ
Ping G15 4-SW w/ AWT
Ping Tour S Rustique 60* w/ DG Spinner
Ping Redwood Anser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors