Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

If you were just joining GolfWRX today . . .

46 replies to this topic

Poll: If you were just joining GolfWRX today . . . (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you have used a "New User's Guide to GolfWRX"?

1. Yes (58 votes [38.93%])

Percentage of vote: 38.93%

2. No (81 votes [54.36%])

Percentage of vote: 54.36%

3. Can't remember that far back (10 votes [6.71%])

Percentage of vote: 6.71%

Would a "FAQ" be helpful even for old members?

1. Yea (69 votes [46.31%])

Percentage of vote: 46.31%

2. No (30 votes [20.13%])

Percentage of vote: 20.13%

3. If there was a "FAQ", there wouldn't be any need for a new user's guide. (20 votes [13.42%])

Percentage of vote: 13.42%

4. Both would be nice. (30 votes [20.13%])

Percentage of vote: 20.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

If you were just joining GolfWRX today, what would you have wanted to know early on that would have made you feel more at home?

GolfWRX tries to be as user friendly as we can possibly be. But the truth is, like any complex place, GolfWRX has a "language" of its own, many "do's", and a few "don't's". For those of us that have been around for a long time, there are also probably many "it goes without saying"s" that shouldn't go without saying.

I'd like to put together a new user's guide to GolfWRX. Help me. What would you have like to know that would have made your first weeks as a GolfWRXer more enjoyable?

I'm also interested in whether a "FAQ" would be helpful, even for old members. If so, what would be your most "FAQ"? I'll start it off:

1. What is a FAQ. A place where a user can find answers to frequently asked questions about the website.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 763

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

The real question or issue at hand is whether or not someone would even read the guide.....  It doesn't mean that there shouldn't be one though.  If it's written well, it might be an entertaining read, chock full of advice including which threads you want to avoid starting as a newbie like driver distance, handicap, or Tiger.  You could even throw in some advice on how to perfect (or avoid) the passive brag.

Now the FAQ could be a good thing.  Without going into the philosophy or whether certain things work as advertised, I believe having quick access to the basic ideas and definitions of things like COR, MOI, spining, hard stepping, soft stepping, etc could be beneficial to readers of all levels.  

Another interesting section could be a DIY type area for golf club maintenance and modifying.  Kind of like with the articles, give users a chance to photograph steps or make videos performing stuff like regripping, shaft pulling, paint filling, etc.  I know when I was newer to the site I would have to spend a lot of time searching and hoping the people explaining stuff on the results were giving the correct advice.  Now this might be beyond the scope of what you're looking to do, but it just popped in my head.

#3 GooseHook

GooseHook

Do you not?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
GolfWRX Likes : 1980

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

A couple things that might help a new user:
  • louder formatting for stickied topics.  Someone new to the forum, or any forum, wouldn't necessarily know what that means.  And maybe a note at the top, like new users, please read the sticky threads first!!
  • To expand on higherground, I think it'd be awesome to have a collaborative glossary of some sort, like our own mini Wikipedia.

SLDR 460, Elements Chrome 7F5T
PING G25 , Elements Chrome 8F5T
SLDR Rescue 19, hM3 Black Tie
SLDR Rescue 24, Speeder 9.8 HB
JPX 825 Pro/ MP- T4
Piretti Potenza
WITB Link

#4 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1797

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

The first thought that comes to mind...

"SEARCH before posting"

This Is the best tip I can give to a new member.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#5 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

First thought on that is ' Search Police'. Nothing turns a new person away faster than someone that posts ' did you do a search first?'

#6 TommyOC

TommyOC

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136145
  • Ebay ID:Peppolo2013
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

A huge warning stating:

WARNING! Golfwrx may cause excessive spending of money on golf equipment and unwarranted/frequent changing of such equipment. Golf Wrx is not responsible for the actions of club ho-ing, nor the development of such a problem.
Titleist 905r
Ping i20 5w
Titleist 712U 2 iron
Titleist 710 ap2s
Vokey tvd 52* and sm5 56/60*
Scotty Cameron golo 7 dual balance

#7 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

In like Flynn with my 8802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115210
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Should any of your first 100 posts be for a low launch / low spin shaft recommendation, you shall be permenantly... uhmm....  dismembered.

Edited by SurfinTurf, 19 November 2012 - 01:59 PM.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5 Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5 PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18 PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51/56/60
The Wilson 8802

#8 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5084

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

I think it could be cool to pin something on the main forum page called like "the golfwrx bible" or something like that. I'm not sure how many people would read it as higherground states. But i also think it could be a fun way to show new members we are a good bunch here, and some things have been beaten to death and are best to stay away from or do a search for. It would also be cool to have like a golfwrx legend of all the terms we use and etc.

It also might be cool (and i'm just going out on a limb here) to have "champions" for certain various topics. Like have certain members volunteer to have their names down as experts in certain fields, so new members (or even old members) can mail them if they have questions about anything. Like a who's who in the zoo type thing.

Also, if you need help writing it i'd volunteer my services
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 8.5
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 13
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#9 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• 3,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 430

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

I would never read any thread dealing with blades vs GI.

#10 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2293

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

I think you should make a a FAQ page, A new users page, and a test that the new user must get 8 out of 10 answers correct to proceed but then have the test in a dead language. Anyone know how to write "what is the proper method for fixing a ball mark on a green?" in Sanskrit?

RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Most new users find WRX through Googling about the Golf question they have. Then , after they join, using the WRX search will be what they go to instead of forum guides.

#12 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

i think most users that find their way to a forum and actually join are savvy enough to either a) figure it out b) have prior forum experience

#13 TheMackDaddy

TheMackDaddy

Butyraceous

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128677
  • Ebay ID:capebretoner
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

MtlJeff, on 19 November 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

I think it could be cool to pin something on the main forum page called like "the golfwrx bible" or something like that. I'm not sure how many people would read it as higherground states. But i also think it could be a fun way to show new members we are a good bunch here, and some things have been beaten to death and are best to stay away from or do a search for. It would also be cool to have like a golfwrx legend of all the terms we use and etc.

It also might be cool (and i'm just going out on a limb here) to have "champions" for certain various topics. Like have certain members volunteer to have their names down as experts in certain fields, so new members (or even old members) can mail them if they have questions about anything. Like a who's who in the zoo type thing.

Think this is a cool idea as well.

#14 kmayer99

kmayer99

Yes, the hamster's driver is Tour Issue.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158919
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

The answer to Kymer's question

Posted Image

Edited by kmayer99, 19 November 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#15 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4648

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

I also think it would be nice if more members would welcome new members. Sometimes there might only be two or three members welcoming a new member when the new member makes an introduction. Not very welcoming, eh?

Hey...be nice.

#16 Rhythm&TempoRenzo

Rhythm&TempoRenzo

Rhythm&TempoRenzo

• 330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101317
  • Ebay ID:lporterlott
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

I believe that a "lingo" section would be helpful, terms like softstep, hardstep and many others like IMHO or the infamous "club ho" can help the newbie post more comfortably.
Pepperwood Grove (Cally XTT) Stand Bag
Titleist 913F 12.75' w/RIP Phenom 80
Titleist 910F 16.50' w/Diamana Ahina
Titleist 690.MB 2-PW w/Project X - 6.0
Vokey Spin Milled CC - 54/11 & 64/07
2008 Yes "Nicky" w/UST FF

#17 mukster

mukster

The fairway is great!

• 1,843 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48549
GolfWRX Likes : 467

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

MtlJeff, on 19 November 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

Great idea. However, I just hate the term "champions"!

#18 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1050

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

Funnily enough I do this for a living, so I know people mostly don't read the guide/help, lol.
But an FAQ can be a great method for delivering key/oft repeated info.

That said, in a typical single genre based forum, $£&!@!!! search you lazy so and so, is usually the most important thing to get across, outside of Classifieds do's and don'ts
Done buying golf clubs. Hurrah!
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913F 19*
Cally XHP 4-5 | X-Forged '13 6-PW
Cally Forged 50* 54* | Cleveland #2
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#19 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• 19,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 2043

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Beware the hogan forum.
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#20 j.lapp

j.lapp

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125532
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

highergr0und, on 19 November 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

The real question or issue at hand is whether or not someone would even read the guide.....  It doesn't mean that there shouldn't be one though.  If it's written well, it might be an entertaining read, chock full of advice including which threads you want to avoid starting as a newbie like driver distance, handicap, or Tiger.  You could even throw in some advice on how to perfect (or avoid) the passive brag.

Now the FAQ could be a good thing.  Without going into the philosophy or whether certain things work as advertised, I believe having quick access to the basic ideas and definitions of things like COR, MOI, spining, hard stepping, soft stepping, etc could be beneficial to readers of all levels.  

Another interesting section could be a DIY type area for golf club maintenance and modifying.  Kind of like with the articles, give users a chance to photograph steps or make videos performing stuff like regripping, shaft pulling, paint filling, etc.  I know when I was newer to the site I would have to spend a lot of time searching and hoping the people explaining stuff on the results were giving the correct advice.  Now this might be beyond the scope of what you're looking to do, but it just popped in my head.

Agreed 100%

Titleist 909 9.5
Titleist 909 15.5
Nickent 4DX 23
Mizuno MP53
Nike VR Pro Forged 52, 56, 60DS
Scotty Cameron Circa '62 #3

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Random thoughts from a newbie.

There are some GolfWRX shortforms that I hadn't seen used previously such as AOA (Angle of Attack).

I found Feedback score confusing as I didn't know it was just for Classifieds. I think the Reputation score would be better to display than the Feedback score.

I find this site very slow.  Certainly to the point where it impairs overall usability.

I wish the slicefixer thread could be a forum.

The best part of GolfWRX is the super knowledgeable users .. especially russc.  :)

#22 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I think it depends what, exactly, these "new user guide" and FAQs are. If the FAQ is a glossary of undisputed technical information (i.e. "hardstepping means XXX" etc.), I think it could be a huge asset to the broad golf community.

However, in most forums where I've seen these sorts of things implemented, I find them to be antithetical to what I'm looking for in a forum. A healthy forum is sort of organic - members come and go, perspectives change, and new perspectives come in. When you tell someone to "do a search for X", it shuts off discussion of the topic, even if a member who didn't contribute the first time around has something interesting to say.

I'll give you a good example: Tom Wishon joined the forum in 2008. From my perspective, his views on clubmaking / fitting are incredibly valuable. What if a newbie in June 2008 had asked a question that was right in Tom's wheelhouse, and the response was: "dude, we beat this to death last year, do a search." So we don't get Tom's perspective on the question (because the question was "answered" before Tom was a member). I think that's a net loss.

One forum that does this to the extreme is flyertalk (a forum for frequent flyers). I fly between 100 and 200K miles per year, so you would think that place would be great for me. But it sucks. You throw out a question like: "I've got to do a layover somewhere in the midwest, which airport has the best admirals club", you get shut down with a "five years ago we established an exhaustive rank order of all clubs, please refer to that list." Like nothing has changed since then. As a result of their attitude, I don't contribute there despite having quite a lot of knowledge on the topics they cover. I'd hate to see GolfWRX trend in that direction.

So my advice is that I think it can be done. Can be a huge asset if done well. But please don't screw it up.

#23 Jarri

Jarri

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116226
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

If I were joining wrx today...... hmmm.... I'd read the forum for about half an hour and then make my first post talking about my 300+ drive with this new driver.
9.5 Ping i20 Diamana Ahina 70x
13.5 Mizuno MP-CLK Diamana Ahina 80x
17 Mizuno MP-CLK hybrid Stock x shaft
Miura Babyblades 3-P Project X 6.2 Tour
Miura 53 and 59 1957 series
Miura KM-005 putter

#24 mdgboxx

mdgboxx

Put lipstick on a pig - - - it's still a pig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61336
  • Handicap:9.1
GolfWRX Likes : 253

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 19 November 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

I agree with you 98%.

The 2% is actually a question:
If someone PM's you a question, it doesn't appear on the board and neither does the answer. Isn't that a contradiction to an open board?
DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5 w/169D-Tour, reg
3W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5 w/SV3005J, stf
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5 w/SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW w/CFS reg @ D2
WEDGES: Ping Tour-S, 54/10 & 60/10
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weight

#25 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,576 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

View Postmdgboxx, on 25 November 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

I agree with you 98%.

If someone PM's you a question, it doesn't appear on the board and neither does the answer. Isn't that a contradiction to an open board?

In my head i was thinking you would post the question on the forum and also send the guy a PM. Because there is no guarantee that person will check the forum, but if you PM him he would get an email notification.

For example a guy like J.W is a great source of info on new Titleist products. You could start a thread called "looking for info on the new 913" but he might not check it for a few days. Of course there are many people here who can provide perspective in the end. But I just think it would be cool if some of the more senior members who are experts in certain fields volunteered for that type of list. It would give new members a chance to get to know some of the good guys too when they are relative newbies.

Even someone like me, a 4-5 year vet of the site, i often have weird questions about clubbuilding. Sometimes you post it and no one answers, and then when you bump it finally someone does. It would be nice if there was a list of a few clubbuilding gurus i could PM.

Of course the caveat would be that they would have to be regular users. Not guys who frequent the place once a month

Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Odyssey Tank #7

#26 mdgboxx

mdgboxx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

One of my early questions, if I was a new member: How the HELL do I upload an avatar without being told that it's to big and then, can't have it automaticly resized? THEN, I have to register to GRAVATAR for no other reason!

To make things easier (for ME, still today), a "GolfWRX Urban Dictionary" and deffinitively a "How to section"/"Tutorial, GolfWRX related" section.

Now, I feel like a CURMUDGEON (new word I learned on here) so, I'll quit while i'm ahead!  :cheesy:

#27 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,576 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

golfwrx urban dictionary is a must!
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Odyssey Tank #7

#28 mdgboxx

mdgboxx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 25 November 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

View Postmdgboxx, on 25 November 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

I agree with you 98%.

In my head i was thinking you would post the question on the forum and also send the guy a PM. Because there is no guarantee that person will check the forum, but if you PM him he would get an email notification.

For example a guy like J.W is a great source of info on new Titleist products. You could start a thread called "looking for info on the new 913" but he might not check it for a few days. Of course there are many people here who can provide perspective in the end. But I just think it would be cool if some of the more senior members who are experts in certain fields volunteered for that type of list. It would give new members a chance to get to know some of the good guys too when they are relative newbies.

Even someone like me, a 4-5 year vet of the site, i often have weird questions about clubbuilding. Sometimes you post it and no one answers, and then when you bump it finally someone does. It would be nice if there was a list of a few clubbuilding gurus i could PM.

Of course the caveat would be that they would have to be regular users. Not guys who frequent the place once a month

First bolded part:

It would have to be a: MUST

Second bolded part:

I have a specific question for you (the topic guru) but, you're in the process of burying your great-grandfather, so, you won't be on-line for a week.
Who am I to expect an answer from you within  5 minutes. I have to feel confident that you will answer eventually.

That is the reason behind: First Bolded Part.

People have lives outside of GolfWRX (so do you). It may not seem like it to you but, I'm on your side here.

#29 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,576 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Who told you i had a life outside WRX?

:rofl:
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Odyssey Tank #7

#30 mdgboxx

mdgboxx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 25 November 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

Who told you i had a life outside WRX?

:rofl:

Nobody???????????
I was assuming...............again!............ :sorry: ?????????????????????

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors