Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

windows 8

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

downloaded it last week. not sure if im a big fan of it. dont like that i have to use msn to sign into everything.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 iH83Putting

iH83Putting

Whiskey Tango Fox!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94591
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

It's not bad.  So far I don't like the picture viewing application, I can't just use the arrow keys to see the next pic.  I'm also not a fan of having to ALT+F4 to get out of certain applications.

Check this site for some tips and tricks:
Windows 8 Tricks, Tips and Shortcuts - TechSpot Guides
Driver: Ping I20 9.5*, VTS Silver 7x
FW: TaylorMade R11 15*, Tour AD QT
Driving Iron: TayorMade RBZ 3i
Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-Pw
Wedge: Vokey Forged 52*&56*,SM4 60
Putter: Odyssey WHP #9

#3 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143353
GolfWRX Likes : 221

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

I always wait a while after a new Windows version comes out. They're typically loaded with bugs that need to be fixed.

#4 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Man, I must be about the world's worst IT guy.....   I forgot this even came out.  I did hear a good bit of grumbling during its beta about how much of a PITA it was when it came to them having a shiny new front end that made it hard/annoying to get to a lot of the old back end features that they didn't really re-code.

Anyways, I agree with Mr Clark....   I wouldn't touch a new version of Windows until at least after SP1.  I don't mind not being a pioneer, especially since 7 is pretty good.

#5 Timanator

Timanator

SFClone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71372
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

We have it in testing for a few month now, definitely not worth upgrading to IMO.

Ping Anser 9.5 Ahina 70-S
Adams Super S 2H 17 degrees, Kujoh-S
Ping I20 3-PW KBS Tour-S
Ping Tour W 52/Mizuno 56T10
Odyssey Versa 7

#6 Mountaineer

Mountaineer

APP-UH-LA-CHUN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203205
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

I heard Microsoft adopted the "walled garden" system, very much similar to Apple, with Windows 8? I was only able to briefly play around with a laptop at my local staples and couldn't really dive too much into it. From my brief look I wasn't all too impressed and I'll probably hold on to Windows 7 for as long as I can lol.
Titleist 905R 9.5*
Titleist 906f2 15*
Titleist 585h 21*
Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport

#7 iH83Putting

iH83Putting

Whiskey Tango Fox!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94591
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

I would agree that it's not worth upgrading.  But if you are in need of a reload or just wanting to play, it is just fine.  No bugs to speak of yet.
Driver: Ping I20 9.5*, VTS Silver 7x
FW: TaylorMade R11 15*, Tour AD QT
Driving Iron: TayorMade RBZ 3i
Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-Pw
Wedge: Vokey Forged 52*&56*,SM4 60
Putter: Odyssey WHP #9

#8 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

MS literally screws up every other iteration of Windows. It's like they have some kind of uber-doofus wizardry that is just beyond all comprehension when it comes to that.

#9 tjumper78

tjumper78

Fore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123314
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

View Postprsgtrman, on 18 November 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

downloaded it last week. not sure if im a big fan of it. dont like that i have to use msn to sign into everything.

uhhhh, that blows if true.
looks like i'll need to hold onto windows 7 as long as i can.

#10 Laneo

Laneo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113446
  • Ebay ID:tranceaddict710
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Working as a network administrator, I can ensure you that it's a massive waste of time. The only reason I would remotely consider using it is because of having it on a tablet. I will admit, though, that the Surface is pretty cool. Windows 8 is a tablet based OS, so installing it on desktops and even laptops (that aren't touchscreen) is just a waste.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 lander215

lander215

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65964
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostLaneo, on 21 November 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

Working as a network administrator, I can ensure you that it's a massive waste of time. The only reason I would remotely consider using it is because of having it on a tablet. I will admit, though, that the Surface is pretty cool. Windows 8 is a tablet based OS, so installing it on desktops and even laptops (that aren't touchscreen) is just a waste.

They definitely swung and missed on this one. And the best is yet to come....wait till your programmers get hold of it to adapt the apps they've written for previous versions of IE. Our guy is already considering retirement because it appears he'll just about have to start all over again with all of our apps.

#12 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126606
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostLaneo, on 21 November 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

Indeed. I suspect that adoption rate for it from out clients is going to be under 5%.

Listening to some of my guys give their opinion on Sever 8's been pretty funny as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors