station2station, on 18 November 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:
Done a fair amount of iron reshafting in my day. PING i20 and Anser irons have a little plug or stage in the bottom of the hosel that props the shaft up about 1/8-1/4". The material is left behind after you pull the shaft, but because of it's plastic nature ends up getting trashed when you scrub out the epoxy from inside before re-shafting.
It's important to replace this little plug or your new shafts will insert too far down into the hosel and play overly stiff. Can anyone offer any insight on where to obtain replacement plugs or whatever they are using.
I've seen this type of hosel plug on some older TM irons, but I just tonight finished reshafting my i20s (egad, for the second time in as many weeks) and I didn't see a hosel plug first time around.
I've used a few different methods to clean out hosels over the years, and when I want to get down to bare metal with minimal prep, I use a gel-based epoxy solvent/remover. What I ended up with was perfectly pristine hosels that have a slightly concave bottom. I suspect that what you found was some shafting epoxy that had pooled in the very bottom of the hosel during the assembly process. I used a heat gun to do the pulls, and had no trouble with any of the heads.
They were night and day different from my i5s. I even have some suspicion that they used the same epoxy TM was using (and may still be using) years ago, because it had a very distinctive smell once it broke down from the heat. I know that sounds odd, but it broke down very easily, just like my old TM 300 forged irons did.
All the heads came off by hand twisting after about 2 minutes with the heat gun.
They still have a little hosel slop, and a few of them felt like they wanted to compression set at the bottom when I gave them a little tamping down on reassembly, but others did not. The hosel insertion depths were all ok, and the heads were very tight in weight tolerance. Based on how I pulled them, I would have thought that one or two hosel plugs, if they were there, would have survived the clean-up. There's always the chance that the epoxy solvent I used might have dissolved the plug itself, but based on what came out, it just looked like epoxy softened up by the epoxy remover.
Golfworks collared short ferrules would have worked great for the hosel, but I ended up using beads for the epoxy up top, and that worked fine to firm up the fit. I don't like to use beads if I can avoid them, but I used very little. The Golfworks Tour Set Plus Max Strength starts to set up to a thickness that works great for hosels with a little play.
Edited by NPVWhiz, 20 November 2012 - 07:48 PM.