Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Heavier putters for slow greens?


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 odshot68

odshot68

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30735
  • Joined: 06/04/2007
  • Location:MI
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 298

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

When the greens slow up during the offseason, do you play a heavier putter?  Also, do you switch to a more GI putter as well since you need to hit it harder.  FWIW, I have a Scotty Cali putter I really like on fast greens for feel.

Ping G400 LST 9.4 Tensei Pro White 60 Stiff
TaylorMade M2 HL Tensei Pro White 70 Stiff
Mizuno CLK 16 Deg Fuji Speeder Evo Hybrid Stiff
TaylorMade P790 3 Iron DG S300
Titleist 718CB 4-9 DG S300
Vokey SM7 46F, 54M ,58M
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Also (depending on course layout and conditions):
Vokey SM7 60D
Wilson FG Tour PMP 62 Tour Grind
Scotty Cameron Del Mar LE Buttonback

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Joined: 12/07/2009
  • Location:Indianapolis
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 397

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

I've done this from time to time. I play a blade (Redwood or callie) most of the year, but during the winter months i'll bust out something heavier (2 ball or craz-e or fat lady)
cobra f7+ 10.5 diamana whiteboard
cobra f7 3/4 wood 15.5 matrix 75s
cobra f6 baffler 19 matrix code 8
Bridgestone j38 dpc 4-P s300
Cleveland RTX-3 52, Rtx 2.0 58
Ping Redwood Anser

2

#3 Shambles

Shambles

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
  • Joined: 04/01/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 686

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

 odshot68, on 18 November 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

When the greens slow up during the offseason, do you play a heavier putter?  Also, do you switch to a more GI putter as well since you need to hit it harder.  FWIW, I have a Scotty Cali putter I really like on fast greens for feel.


I use the same putter for all greens. I think getting to know the club very well is very important and that means being able to use it on fast or slow greens. The adjustable part is the player.


Shambles

3

#4 avgjoe

avgjoe

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87610
  • Joined: 07/06/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 704

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I go lighter when playing on super shaggy goat tracks greens

4

#5 BrianL99

BrianL99

    Hall of Fame

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Joined: 01/20/2012
  • Location:Concord, MA & Spring Hill, FL
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3270

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

 odshot68, on 18 November 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

When the greens slow up during the offseason, do you play a heavier putter?  Also, do you switch to a more GI putter as well since you need to hit it harder.  FWIW, I have a Scotty Cali putter I really like on fast greens for feel.

Conventional wisdom is the opposite.  Light putter for slow greens, heavier putter for fast greens.


5

#6 cxissi

cxissi

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4266
  • Joined: 08/03/2005
  • Location:western Canada
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:gdb-golf
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

I use a lighter putter on shaggy slow greens in the fall and spring . Fast greens I use a heavier weighted
putter.
gb

6

#7 seasterl

seasterl

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204765
  • Joined: 09/26/2012
  • Location:Central Florida
  • Ebay ID:seasterl
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

What's a game improvement putter?  Is that when the cooler-looking non-mallet blade stays home and the money-winning face-balanced / quarter-toe with alignment mark comes out to sink the putts on the really tough greens?

I don't mean to make light of the comment, but putting is the toughest part, I think.  For the first time since I first started playing, I'm just now starting to experiment with a 395g versus a 360g head for fast or slow greens.  So thanks to the OP for posting the question. My intuition is to use the 395g for faster greens, and a lighter one for slower greens.

7

#8 hebron1427

hebron1427

    Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
  • Joined: 09/05/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

 HoosierHacker89, on 18 November 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

I've done this from time to time. I play a blade (Redwood or callie) most of the year, but during the winter months i'll bust out something heavier (2 ball or craz-e or fat lady)

All those putters weight about the same

8

#9 hebron1427

hebron1427

    Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
  • Joined: 09/05/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

This has been asked and debated. Play what works nest

http://www.golfwrx.c...or-fast-greens/

9

#10 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Joined: 12/07/2009
  • Location:Indianapolis
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 397

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

 hebron1427, on 18 November 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

 HoosierHacker89, on 18 November 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

I've done this from time to time. I play a blade (Redwood or callie) most of the year, but during the winter months i'll bust out something heavier (2 ball or craz-e or fat lady)

All those putters weight about the same

NICE to know! I guess it was just between my ears that they were heavier then.

cobra f7+ 10.5 diamana whiteboard
cobra f7 3/4 wood 15.5 matrix 75s
cobra f6 baffler 19 matrix code 8
Bridgestone j38 dpc 4-P s300
Cleveland RTX-3 52, Rtx 2.0 58
Ping Redwood Anser

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 avgjoe

avgjoe

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87610
  • Joined: 07/06/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 704

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

 HoosierHacker89, on 19 November 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

 hebron1427, on 18 November 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

 HoosierHacker89, on 18 November 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

I've done this from time to time. I play a blade (Redwood or callie) most of the year, but during the winter months i'll bust out something heavier (2 ball or craz-e or fat lady)

All those putters weight about the same

NICE to know! I guess it was just between my ears that they were heavier then.



...but they might feel slightly heavier/lighter if different lengths, different (heavier/lighter) grips, center vs. heel-shafted, etc

11

#12 hebron1427

hebron1427

    Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
  • Joined: 09/05/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

 avgjoe, on 19 November 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

 HoosierHacker89, on 19 November 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

 hebron1427, on 18 November 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

 HoosierHacker89, on 18 November 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

I've done this from time to time. I play a blade (Redwood or callie) most of the year, but during the winter months i'll bust out something heavier (2 ball or craz-e or fat lady)

All those putters weight about the same

NICE to know! I guess it was just between my ears that they were heavier then.



...but they might feel slightly heavier/lighter if different lengths, different (heavier/lighter) grips, center vs. heel-shafted, etc

Good point. This is 100% accurate.

12

#13 finalist

finalist

    MASHED POTATO!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
  • Joined: 05/24/2005
  • Location:Folsom, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 537

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

What is a GI putter :fishing1: ?

I would think the putter must fit your stroke, posture, alignment etc. If not, then it is a bad putter. If yes, then it is a GI, so you should always use it.

Just because a putter has a huge mallet head with space ship weights does not mean it's easier to use. It may in fact be harder to use depending on your personal requirements based on your posture and other needs.

And in my findings lighter putters are better for slower greens. They allow for more speed through impact causing a faster roll. Much like a lighter driver helps create a faster SS.
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

13

#14 Hstead

Hstead

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
  • Joined: 09/30/2009
  • Location:Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 2726

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

I use a putter that has variable weights and I go lighter when the greens are slow and heavier when the greens are fast.  Heavier slows my stroke down, lighter speeds it up.  So lighter, faster stroke, goes farther on slower greens.
TaylorMade M3 9.5 Graphite Design BB 70X
Callaway Epic Subzero 15* Diamana D+
Titleist 818 H1
Honma 737P PX 6.5
Titleist TVD 56* and 60* V Grind S400
Directed Force
KSig4

14



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors