Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How to read hazards locations on the Callaway upro mx+

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3580
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

I have a Callaway upro mx+ and can not figure out how to read the Hazards distance.
In the manual it states BasicMode – “includes hazard view to quickly see distances to any hazard on the hole”.

“2.5.2 Hazard View
The Hazard View (Figure 6b) displays distances to each hazard as well as the distance to clear each hazard or object on the course. There is no limit to the number of hazards that can be displayed in the Hazard View and the hazards are displayed in order of proximity to your current location.”

Ok, so here is the problem.  The hazards listed do not have Left, Right or Center so when looking down the fairway, I do not know which one is which.  Also, they do not look like they are listed in any order.  Even the example picture in the instruction manual does not make sense in which order they are listed or their location.  
  • (top picture) 261/271
  • (middle picture ) 272 / 285
  • (bottom picture ) 251/263
Appreciate any help with this.

Ping Driver G25 - 9.5
Callaway XHot fairway woods
Titleist 710 AP1 irons - 6 to GW
Titleist Vokey wedges SM 56 & 60
Callaway HEX Chrome Yellow
Rife Mid Mallet 400 w/ SuperStroke 3.0

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

View Postcrazygolfnut, on 18 November 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

I have a Callaway upro mx+ and can not figure out how to read the Hazards distance.
In the manual it states BasicMode – “includes hazard view to quickly see distances to any hazard on the hole”.

“2.5.2 Hazard View
The Hazard View (Figure 6b) displays distances to each hazard as well as the distance to clear each hazard or object on the course. There is no limit to the number of hazards that can be displayed in the Hazard View and the hazards are displayed in order of proximity to your current location.”

Ok, so here is the problem.  The hazards listed do not have Left, Right or Center so when looking down the fairway, I do not know which one is which.  Also, they do not look like they are listed in any order.  Even the example picture in the instruction manual does not make sense in which order they are listed or their location.  
  • (top picture) 261/271

You're asking a very good question.  Here's what I do [if there's a better answer please post].  When you scroll down the yardage page, it shows the different bunkers in cartoonish picture form.  From there it's kinda a guessing game.  Obviously, the shortish yardage shown is the closest bunker.  Then it becomes more of what my eye sees.  I have to guess which is the next bunker in distance and then I look at the GPS device to see how far it is.

#3 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

View Postchas521, on 18 November 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

“2.5.2 Hazard View

• (top picture) 261/271

You're asking a very good question.  Here's what I do [if there's a better answer please post].  When you scroll down the yardage page, it shows the different bunkers in cartoonish picture form.  From there it's kinda a guessing game.  Obviously, the shortish yardage shown is the closest bunker.  Then it becomes more of what my eye sees.  I have to guess which is the next bunker in distance and then I look at the GPS device to see how far it is.

I get your point. The problem is it does not list the hazards in order (nearest to farthest) so it is a pain to try and match them up. I was on a course that had something like 6 bunkers on the  hole and I had to scroll up and down and never did figure it out.  I finally just put it away and hit the ball.
Ping Driver G25 - 9.5

#4 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

View Postcrazygolfnut, on 18 November 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

“2.5.2 Hazard View

• (top picture) 261/271

I get your point. The problem is it does not list the hazards in order (nearest to farthest) so it is a pain to try and match them up. I was on a course that had something like 6 bunkers on the  hole and I had to scroll up and down and never did figure it out.  I finally just put it away and hit the ball.
Believe me, I feel your pain.  This is why I picked up a Garmin Approach G5.  It doesn't have that problem.  It shows the entire hole layout with distances to all on one screen without having to scroll.  Plus it doesn't have the mx+ sleeping problem which I hate.

#5 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

View Postchas521, on 19 November 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

View Postcrazygolfnut, on 18 November 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

“2.5.2 Hazard View

• (top picture) 261/271

Believe me, I feel your pain.  This is why I picked up a Garmin Approach G5.  It doesn't have that problem.  It shows the entire hole layout with distances to all on one screen without having to scroll.  Plus it doesn't have the mx+ sleeping problem which I hate.

chas521, I see you have the G5.  Any reason that you have that one and not the G6? Just wondering if one is better than the other for Hazards.  Thanks.

Ping Driver G25 - 9.5

#6 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

View Postcrazygolfnut, on 19 November 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

chas521, I see you have the G5.  Any reason that you have that one and not the G6? Just wondering if one is better than the other for Hazards.  Thanks.

I like the G5 better because it uses AA batteries instead of the wall charger.  I carry an extra set of rechargeable AA batteries in my bag just in case.  Another reason is that the G5 is cheaper now and the maps are fine.  I can't see the extra expense for the G6 when I don't see much difference in what it can do.  BTW, the map updates are free.  Do a Google if you haven't already.

The Skycaddie is OK also but I can't see paying a yearly subscription.

#7 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:9.1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

Have to say I've used this probably twice a week since the unit was released last year and have never used it in this way. I really only go on to that "basic" screen as I am flipping to the hole view mode so I dont know where this applies.

Is that screen only available in Basic Mode? Reason I ask is I'm not sure why you would use this screen vs looking at the overall hole view. The first screen I usually look at on the tee box is the hole overview shot that in one picture shows the distances to all the hazards.

But if this is an issue in basic mode I can certainly I agree though, I can see where this would be confusing.
TM SLDR 10.5 - Adlila Tour Blue TX
TM RBZ 14.5* - Aldila Tour Blue TX
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Cleveland RTG 52*/56*/60*
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#8 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

View Postdcmidnight, on 20 November 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Have to say I've used this probably twice a week since the unit was released last year and have never used it in this way. I really only go on to that "basic" screen as I am flipping to the hole view mode so I dont know where this applies.

Is that screen only available in Basic Mode? Reason I ask is I'm not sure why you would use this screen vs looking at the overall hole view. The first screen I usually look at on the tee box is the hole overview shot that in one picture shows the distances to all the hazards.

But if this is an issue in basic mode I can certainly I agree though, I can see where this would be confusing.

As far as I know this is only in the basic mode which is about all we use.
Ping Driver G25 - 9.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors