Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Bandon Trip...Any Regrets? A Contrarian View..

66 replies to this topic

#1 The Pearl

The Pearl

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191768
GolfWRX Likes : 194

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Bandon seems almost bulletproof to any critiques.   I consider myself as much as a golf zealot as anybody, but  trudging around in 30 MPH winds and horizontal drizzle does not seem like very much fun.  Anybody regret their trip?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jbbates

jbbates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118992
  • Ebay ID:jbbates1
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Just go prepared.  Good wind/rain gear is the key.  Wear layers and have a blast.

#3 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

I regret not having the fried oysters more than once at Pacific Dunes!!!

I regret not playing more while there.

Other than that...not much else....as per above...preparation:  I have Air Bandons, excellent rain gear and UnderArmour warm gear....zero complaints.

#4 mctrees02

mctrees02

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116510
  • Ebay ID:mctrees02
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I think it depends how much you like playing golf in the elements. I refer to myself as a golf masochist in that the worse the weather, the more I enjoy the round. I hate playing desert courses in warm, calm conditions.  I enjoy hot, cold, wind, rain, and even the occasional snow.  I have no real desire to play in hail though!!!

~ guy trying to book his first Bandon trip for mid-January

#5 sabram

sabram

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostThe Pearl, on 18 November 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Bandon seems almost bulletproof to any critiques.   I consider myself as much as a golf zealot as anybody, but  trudging around in 30 MPH winds and horizontal drizzle does not seem like very much fun.  Anybody regret their trip?

That is not what the weather is like all the time. It's just that it's a possibility any time. Do you feel the same way about Scotland? Wind and the elements is how links golf is meant to be played. There are certainly those who don't "get" links golf. Some don't like the wind... others want soft, lush, green manicured courses and object to brown, roughly hewn fast and firm courses. To each his/her own, but there is a reason that courses like Bandon and the links of Great Britain and Ireland are so well loved. If you are a zealot and haven't tried it, you must.

#6 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1019

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

...I consider myself as much as a golf zealot as anybody, but  trudging around in 30 MPH winds and horizontal drizzle does not seem like very much fun...

It's not. But what is there to regret about weather conditions that you cannot control?
Anyone regret their last trip to the Rockies? How about the Alps?
Maybe regret isn't the best word choice there.

Anyways, if weather is a huge determining factor in your enjoyment of things, then you can go goling in Palm Springs, the Algarve, or other lovely climes.
It's no different than folks skipping the Rockies and Alps and heading for Greece or Mexico instead.
Done buying golf clubs. Hurrah!
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913F 19*
Adams CB3 4-GW w/Steelfibers
Cally Forged 54* | Odyssey #9
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#7 ws6

ws6

Pacific Dunes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15560
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

There are days when it isn't worth playing.  If you are coming for a trip, IMHO you should be prepared for a day like the Bishop had.  

Posted Image

#8 Swingem

Swingem

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137046
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Bandon has a way of making that kind of experience enjoyable. Besides, we don't sit around talking about the time we played when it was sunny and 75.
TM RBZ Stage2 Tour, Matrix 6Q3
TM 07 TP 3w, Fuji E370
TM RBZ Stage2 tour 4 hybrid, Fuji Fuel
TM TP rac Coin Forged combo set, S300
TM Tour Preferred 52, 56
TM Spider Mallet

#9 DD4442

DD4442

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67362
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

It's not for everyone.  It looks different, feels different.  It's all about golf.  The lodging and amenities are real nice, but you kind of feel a "spartan" thing going on.  Maybe more like total golf functionality, but definitely not lavish or over done.  I played two days in as near perfect conditions as the place could offer, and I felt like I wanted a little Bandon weather.  Next time. Soon.

#10 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
GolfWRX Likes : 692

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

I think it would be awesome. As long as you are prepared gear wise, it'd be hard not to enjoy it IMO. You gotta think too that the course is built to handle those conditions, the only reason I don't like playing in the rain out here is that it gets so soggy and the ground gets sloshy, don't think you'd run into course conditions like that in Bandon

Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
txxx burner 2.0 13.5 UST Attas 80x
txxx burner 2.0 18.5 ahina 80x
callaway  quad dot V protos 4-P ctaper X
raw txxx xft 51, xft 55/60
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1384

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Guven that a visit to Bandon means a couple thousand dollars, minimum, and nearly 20 hours travel door to door each way I would not go there except under two conditions.

It needs to be a time of year with plenty daylight and a time when the odds of decent wearher are favorable.

A round or two in 30mph wind or playing on a horizontal rain day is fun. Once. But it is no substitute for you know, actually seeing the golf course and having an outside chance of finishing a few holes with the same ball you start with.

If go for a 2-1/2 day visit in February you have a good chance of catching a spell of poor weather and coming back with some "OMG it was brutal!" stories to impress your buddies...and not much else. OTOH book four ir five days in May and you might well see both some OMG weather and some pleasant weather too.

#12 Tylanthus

Tylanthus

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63903
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

I've been there a few times.  The first time was a total monsoon.

The bad weather didn't discourage me from going back, it caused me to invest in proper rain gear, grips, shoes, and under garments for the next time I went back.

#13 ryancjordan

ryancjordan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120934
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

As someone who lives in the San Francisco Bay area, hearing someone complain about high winds and rain while golfing is hilarious.  What other ways are there to play?

#14 ram01002

ram01002

Major Winner

• 1,116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1598
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Bandon is great, but you have to enjoy playing golf in poor weather. If that isn't your thing there are other options (but those options are not nearly as memorable, imo).

#15 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1384

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

I spent five days in Dornoch once playing 36 holes a day in near constant 20-gusting-25 to 30 winds and intermittent rain. It was a an adventure alright. It was also six months after I got home before I regained anything like a normal golf swing.

#16 ws6

ws6

Pacific Dunes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15560
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

I heard on the radio that our current storm produced up to 90 mph wind gusts today on the Oregon coast.

#17 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4600

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

Pearl, that wouldn't be my idea of a good time even if I did have the proper clothing. Then again I can't imagine the people who built the facility would put it in a location that has that whether 365 days a year either.
Hey...be nice.

#18 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1019

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

View Postryancjordan, on 19 November 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

As someone who lives in the San Francisco Bay area, hearing someone complain about high winds and rain while golfing is hilarious.  What other ways are there to play?

Funnily enough I've played about 70 rounds this year and only one has been in the rain. That said, about 45-50 have been in the wind :)
Monarch Bay in March - we played Saturday at noon and the front nine was empty except us and there were only 20 guys on the back nine, apparently having a little tourney. Been a great year weather wise.

I am off to Bandon Weds, and will get to try out the Gortex jacket and REI rain trousers for the first time. I cannot wait!
Done buying golf clubs. Hurrah!
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913F 19*
Adams CB3 4-GW w/Steelfibers
Cally Forged 54* | Odyssey #9
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#19 njlam

njlam

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36975
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

I just got back a few hours ago. The winds were clocked at 70mph when we left, and we vouchered (did not play) our round at Old Mac today.

That being said, this was a great trip and we have already scheduled next year's trip for the same weekend.

On Saturday, we played the new Preserve in the morning (first time) in rainy and windy conditions. Wonderful. Followed this with a round at Pacific that started in the wind and rain. While we were completely prepared for the rain, it did get a little cold. A few holes had standing water on the greens which affected putting, however the sun came out for out last four holes and we finished with very fast greens. Excellent time. Hot shower, masssage at the new facility, and dinner (the meatloaf) afterwards. A perfect golf day.

On Sunday, we played the Preserve again in dry, but windy conditions. Incredibly fun (parred 8 holes, bogeyed 4, doubled 1). They let our whole group (7 players) play together which added to the experience. Followed with a round at Bandon in windy conditions with light/intermittent rain. Less rain than Saturday, much more wind. Caddies were great to help with where to aim and how much the wind would affect our course management. Fantastic time, pro shop made some money selling me the new Columbia Omni-Heat undershirt so the cold that bothered me on Saturday was not an issue on Sunday.

Only because we had such a great time on our 4 rounds, did we decide not to play today. The winds at 70 mph would have made the round longer (lost balls/more strokes to reach greens) and guys had planes to catch.

The key to enjoying Bandon is to love golf and to be prepared for golf in its many forms. If you come prepared, the weather is just another element of a wonderful game/experience.
Driver: Ping Rapture 12 deg w/Diamana BB
Woods: Ping G25 4 & 7 wood w/TFC 189
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 25 deg w/IROD S
Irons: Ping i3+ 5-W w/Z-Z65
Putter: Ping Karsten TR Anser 2
Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Issue w/S400
WITB Link

#20 Chris_NH

Chris_NH

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96549
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

For those keeping score at home, the answer would be: no

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2258

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

How can someone else's experience change your mind about what kind of weather you are wanting to play in? I mean if the potential for wind and rain makes for an unpleasant experience, then Bandon's probably not the place.
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#22 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 719

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

For sure, a visit to Bandon should be ALL ABOUT THE GOLF.

With a true links golf experience, weather is part of the equation.  The weather is not always bad at Bandon, but when you travel that far and spend that much, you should be prepared to be able to enjoy it whatever the conditions.

Many people take golf vacations where other factors are important - location, weather, food, nightlife, resort amenities... etc.   If these motivations factor into one's criteria for a golf trip, Bandon may not be the ideal place.

#23 Sushiyoshi

Sushiyoshi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92737
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

View Postputtnforthe8, on 18 November 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

Other than that...not much else....as per above...preparation:  I have Air Bandons, excellent rain gear and UnderArmour warm gear....zero complaints.

I haven't had a meal there without the oysters!  Well, except for breakfast.  When we have lunch or dinner, it's automatic that the oysters are the first thing we order.

#24 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostSushiyoshi, on 20 November 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

View Postputtnforthe8, on 18 November 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

I haven't had a meal there without the oysters!  Well, except for breakfast.  When we have lunch or dinner, it's automatic that the oysters are the first thing we order.

Since Bandon, I ask every place I go to thinly slice some limes for me to go with my fried oysters!  :taunt:

#25 mwmgolfx

mwmgolfx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294277
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I've been to Bandon 5-6 times and have had almost every type of weather you can conceive, from gorgeous 80 degree weather to monsoons with 50+ mph wind and everything in between.  Definitely did not enjoy the monsoon (8" in an hour rain) and we quit at 16 because it was getting unplayable.  But Bandon is so wonderful because of it's variety and great courses.  I've started a round with zero wind and finished with 30mph and everything in between.  Having to play true links golf where running it onto the green from 50-100 yards away is the only shot is quite fun.  Sure it's nice sometimes to stick one in the air right next to the pin and back it up 10 feet to a tucked pin.

But being able to play all kinds of shots, some in the air, some running, working the ball with and against the wind and judging the amount of club to play to compensate for the wind is all part of golf and makes one a much better golfer.  Bandon tests your complete game and if it isn't solid, definitely shows you where you need serious work.  Each course has different features and elements to test your game.  

Yes, there's really little else to do there, especially for the family, but it's a true golf destination with several fantastic courses.  What more can one ask for.  Short of going to Scotland or Ireland where else in this country can you play true links golf under all types of links conditions.  I remember telling my caddie at Turnberry how much that course reminded me of Pacific dunes in Oregon. If we took the lighthouse away, I would have thought I was at one of the courses at Bandon Dunes, there was that much similarity in the general environments.  And that's not a knock on either one but a compliment to how strong the Bandon courses are as far as links values goes.

#26 2putttom

2putttom

American born Aussie at heart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

View Postmyronm, on 22 November 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

I've been to Bandon 5-6 times and have had almost every type of weather you can conceive, from gorgeous 80 degree weather to monsoons with 50+ mph wind and everything in between.  Definitely did not enjoy the monsoon (8" in an hour rain) and we quit at 16 because it was getting unplayable.  But Bandon is so wonderful because of it's variety and great courses.  I've started a round with zero wind and finished with 30mph and everything in between.  Having to play true links golf where running it onto the green from 50-100 yards away is the only shot is quite fun.  Sure it's nice sometimes to stick one in the air right next to the pin and back it up 10 feet to a tucked pin.

But being able to play all kinds of shots, some in the air, some running, working the ball with and against the wind and judging the amount of club to play to compensate for the wind is all part of golf and makes one a much better golfer.  Bandon tests your complete game and if it isn't solid, definitely shows you where you need serious work.  Each course has different features and elements to test your game.  

Yes, there's really little else to do there, especially for the family, but it's a true golf destination with several fantastic courses.  What more can one ask for.  Short of going to Scotland or Ireland where else in this country can you play true links golf under all types of links conditions.  I remember telling my caddie at Turnberry how much that course reminded me of Pacific dunes in Oregon. If we took the lighthouse away, I would have thought I was at one of the courses at Bandon Dunes, there was that much similarity in the general environments.  And that's not a knock on either one but a compliment to how strong the Bandon courses are as far as links values goes.
   :)  Well written.

Edited by 2putttom, 22 November 2012 - 08:39 PM.

Cleveland classic 290 Aldila VooDoo RVS6
Titliest 910 13 * Aldila VooDoo SVS6
ADAMS CMB 3-6 TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
ADAMS MB2 7-pw TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
Mizuno MP-R12 & MP-R4
Bobby Grace "SNYPER" 4* loft
WITB Link

#27 jbbates

jbbates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118992
  • Ebay ID:jbbates1
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Just got from 2 days of fun. Played pacific first day starting at noon with no rain. Temps were upper 50's with 20 mph wind at times. It doesn't really get much better this time of year. Played old Mac and bandon the following day with very little wind but a constant drizzle. Temps were low 50's. Both days were very enjoyable.

Each course is fantastic in different ways. Bandon is very beautiful. Old Marc's football field size greens are insane. Pacific has some beautiful views and requires some crazy course management. Be prepared for ridiculous chips and putts.

#28 2bGood

2bGood

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91033
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

I would think not many folks make the trip to Bandon with knowing weather could be an issue. If you know that going in, there is little chance of regret. If you are not a hardcore golfer you likely are not there in the first place.

#29 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 464

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

I normally don't mind playing in adverse weather conditions, but a real big part of that is being mentally prepared for those condition (like someone said earlier). If it's crappy when we go out, it's much easier to deal with than if the conditions come up in the middle of your round. I really believe that mindset is such a huge factor in playing in bad weather. That being said, the main issue I could see (I've never been there so just speculation) is that playing in those conditions is so tiring, I would think it would be really difficult to fight through 36 holes battling the elements and then be ready to do it again the next day. Maybe someone who's done that can shed some light on whether that is true or not.
Titleist 910D2 8.5* Diamana D+
Titleist 910F 15* GD YSQ
Titleist 910H 17* Diamana Kai'li 80
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
Putter changes constantly
Mizuno MP-R12 53 & 58

#30 njlam

njlam

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36975
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Mental preparation is important. Being physically ready is important too.

At Bandon, both of these important things mean nothing unless you are properly and fully geared up.

Bring 2 sets of everything: rain gloves, full goretex rain suits, waterproof shoes, waterproof hats, onmiheat baselayers, etc.

No level of mental or physical prep will further you enjoyment of Bandon, if your foul weather gear lets you down on a day with severe weather.

We go every year in November and over 70% of the time, it has been sunny, however for the 30% it was important to be ready.

It is better to bring too much rather than not bringing enough. Being properly and fully geared up can make the servere weather conditions fun and challenging.

Driver: Ping Rapture 12 deg w/Diamana BB
Woods: Ping G25 4 & 7 wood w/TFC 189
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 25 deg w/IROD S
Irons: Ping i3+ 5-W w/Z-Z65
Putter: Ping Karsten TR Anser 2
Wedges: Cleveland 588 Tour Issue w/S400
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors