Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

commentator statement "how do you grow golf"

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Hozzle

Hozzle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137203
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I love hearing golf commentators groan about how to grow they game. Really? Its really expensive. Yeah you can buy a cheap set of clubs and play a cheap muni but if you want to learn how to play the game. Lessons will eat you alive.  I'm a pretty good player and I wanted to get several lessons to fix a swing flaw. Going rate here is $75 to $85 for 1hr lesson. Before I complain too much I understand a pga teaching carrer is a hard life but how many people have $300 of disposable income to use on lessons? Heck they even want $50 to do the online assement. Hence why there r so many hacks taking 6 hrs to play a round of golf

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 rvgolfer

rvgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146939
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Dont forget that since 2008 we have been in a very poor economic environment, and golf isnt exactly a neccessity.  If your house is being foreclosed, if you have lost your job, if you have seen your friends losing theirs,,and even if you still have yours, it makes a family more cautious spending money other than necessities.  So combine a poor economic situation, with rising costs, with small or no actual wage increases, its not hard to figure out why golf is struggling, courses closing and or reducing expenses.

My guess is that our economic situation isnt likely to improve much over the next 3-4 years, so its also likely you wont be seeing as many golfers out on the course as in the past.  I know that in my area, every golf course except the muni's are having revenue issues.  It seems that golfers are choosing cheaper courses over expensive ones.

And honestly, I play a very busy muni, and even though some days the pace is slow, it never, ever takes 6 hours to play, and rarely does it even go past 4.5 hours unless it's an important tournament.

Golf wont grow much and likely will continue to retract mimicing the economy in general.  Once you see GDP above 4%, or the unemployment numbers falling below 6%, and real family income growing again, golf will begin to grow.  Those of us who are older, have seen it all before,,and understand that our economy isnt always a "bowl of cherries".

Edited by rvgolfer, 18 November 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#3 Hozzle

Hozzle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I know there's a very good muni where I live. Hosted the 2011 pub links. I remember playing there in 2005 and the parking lot was salmmed. Not even on a holiday weekend its maybe 2/3 full. All the local teaching spots are salmmed with juniors but they don't seem to try to attract adults

#4 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

The more fundamental question is why do so many people involved in the business keep repeating this platitude about the need to "grow the game?". Why should anyone who isnt selling something be concerned about growing the game?

#5 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 1591

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

"Growth" doesn't always equal "health."

Mizuno Mp 600 9.5/Diamana Blueboard 63x
Mizuno Mp 650 15/Diamana Blueboard 83x
Mizuno Mp Fli-Hi 18/DG x100
Mizuno Mp 59 3-pw/DG x100
Mizuno Mp-T4 52, 58/DG x100
Odyssey White Ice #7

#6 Snufles

Snufles

Hugz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114858
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Golfed with three ex-Country Club Members on Saturday. They would rather take that money and go south and play courses over the winter.
So to save money they play on a Muni-package during the summers.

#7 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

View Posthoganfan924, on 18 November 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

The more fundamental question is why do so many people involved in the business keep repeating this platitude about the need to "grow the game?". Why should anyone who isnt selling something be concerned about growing the game?

Everybody is selling something.

#8 Soloman

Soloman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184060
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

"Growing the game" = more slow, posing, 125 shooting bubbas in front of you on Saturday morning.

No thanks.

#9 freddyottawa

freddyottawa

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147865
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 301

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostSoloman, on 18 November 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

"Growing the game" = more slow, posing, 125 shooting bubbas in front of you on Saturday morning.

No thanks.

Absolute nonsense.
Classic XL Custom Grafalloy Prolite 35
JPX825 3w PX 7B3
H4 3 iron S300
i25 4-PW S300
Vokey SM5 50F, 54F 60K
Versa #7, SS 3.0

#10 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

View Postfreddyottawa, on 18 November 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

No thanks.

Absolute nonsense.

This.  +1

TaylorMade SLDR 9.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Nickent 4DX 2 Hy & Idea Pro 3 Hy
Ping i25 4-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Titleist Vokey 60

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

Never paid more than $30 for a lesson. Only had a few. I can figure out what I'm doing wrong or a friend I trust can. A round of golf here is $20-35. A set of clubs can last me 10 years. I dont call that expensive. Maybe you just live in the wrong place or THINK you have to pay a lot to 'be someone'.

#12 HackerVance

HackerVance

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151241
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

I agree I don't think that it's cost.  I also know that making the hole a foot across,  teeing off from inside a 100 yards, or having 6 hole courses isn't going to grow the sport.  It's a hard but fun game and it is what it is.

#13 jmck

jmck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66331
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

I believe there are about 30m golfers in the US.  Supposedly, China's going to have 60m new golfers in the next 10 years.  That's a lot of stuff that's going to be sold over there.  Not sure what it all means for golf in the US though.

#14 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68127
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostWillie Malay, on 20 November 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

Never paid more than $30 for a lesson. Only had a few. I can figure out what I'm doing wrong or a friend I trust can. A round of golf here is $20-35. A set of clubs can last me 10 years. I dont call that expensive. Maybe you just live in the wrong place or THINK you have to pay a lot to 'be someone'.

I think the cost is a HUGE barrier to golf.  You may not consider it to be that much, but it all adds up quickly, especially compared to other sports. If you play once a weekend, that is still $80-140 a month, assuming you have clubs and don't buy balls often/ever.  For most people, that is a very manageable expense for something they enjoy. But not everyone enjoys golf right off the bat. Not to mention you need clubs just to start.  Lets assume on the super cheap, you  will still need to sink in $200 minimum to get a full set of used clubs, or a big box store set.

Now lets look at the barrier of entry for other sports.

Basketball - public courts at almost every park, and most apartment complexes have a hoop as well. Not to mention that every school has hoops. All you need is one ball for a group of people.  Total investment on the cheap <$15.  Even the highest end balls are $100.  That won't even get you any single high end golf club.

Soccer - Sets up anywhere with a field, same costs as basketball.  Technically a little more if you are getting cleats, shin guards, etc. Still, the whole set up on the luxury end cost less then 1-3 golf clubs that are brand new. And again, much more available and accessible.

Baseball - a little less available, but most parks and schools have a back stop or diamond.  You can also practice with just two people.  Initial investment is more then the previous two sports because you need a glove, ball, and bat.  However the initial cost is still WELL below golf, and areas to play for free are significantly more available.

Football - America's most promoted sport.  Now this sport does technically rival golf on the barrier of entry... for tackle football. That is due to pads and helmets.  But we all started tossing the pig skin, and playing touch/flag football.  Plus the fact that Americana worships football drives kids to it. So most people are hooked well before they are spending more then the price of a ball. And even if most people only play tackle/pads in little leagues - high school, many play touch/flag well into their older years. Moral of the story here again is the sport is SUPER cheap.

Another note on the team sports... sharing equipment to keep it cheap.  You only need ONE basketball, football, or soccer ball to host a game for 10+ people.  If everyone involved pitched in $2, you can buy a ball for the day.  I haven't even mentioned that non of these games average 3-5 hours.

Tennis - This is the closest comparison based on the fact that it's a country club sport. However, you can get a racket and a tube of balls for less then $20, and tennis courts are again MUCH more available then golf courses, and free to use if you have the equipment.  

Now when I look at all those factors, golf seems pretty expensive.  If you are a parent, or just looking to try something new, golf is a hard sell in comparison to pretty much every other sport.  I think if we want to grow the game, we have to lower the barrier of entry.  If every park had a 9 hole course attached to it, people would have golf in their face more, and would be curious, and willing to try.  Not every course needs to be a full size golf course, just like not every sports filed needs to be the exact size, or best materials.  

Just imagine a 9 hole pitch at putt at every park.  Max hole length of 100-150 yards.  This would allow children to rent a set consisting of a wood, mid-iron, wedge and putter.  Adults could rent a wedge or two and a putter.  Cost could be less then $10 a person WITH rental equipment.  Around $5 a person if you have your own.  These courses would just get people out and trying the game.  Get the spark started.  Then people might seek out the driving range, and be more willing to try out a muni.  Personally, I love the game, and I'd love to see it grow.  Half of my friends refuse to try golf because of the cost and the intimidation of a full size course.  But par 3, 9 holes have gotten a few people in the door.  I think pitch and put courses would allow allot more children and woman especially to enter the sport.  Not only is this great for the sport, but it's good for the economy, and with the values golf teaches, it might even be great for our country's future.

#15 jmck

jmck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66331
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

View Postdisplayname, on 21 November 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

/snip

Just imagine a 9 hole pitch at putt at every park.  Max hole length of 100-150 yards.  This would allow children to rent a set consisting of a wood, mid-iron, wedge and putter.  Adults could rent a wedge or two and a putter.  Cost could be less then $10 a person WITH rental equipment.  Around $5 a person if you have your own.  These courses would just get people out and trying the game.  Get the spark started.  Then people might seek out the driving range, and be more willing to try out a muni.  Personally, I love the game, and I'd love to see it grow.  Half of my friends refuse to try golf because of the cost and the intimidation of a full size course.  But par 3, 9 holes have gotten a few people in the door.  I think pitch and put courses would allow allot more children and woman especially to enter the sport.  Not only is this great for the sport, but it's good for the economy, and with the values golf teaches, it might even be great for our country's future.

That's how it's done in the old school golf countries throughout western Europe.  Every town of any size (and a lot of very small villages as well) has a little pitch and put.  In the evenings you'll see a surprising number of people walking down the streets with a few clubs in hand, heading for a few quick holes at the pitch and put.  It is indeed a great great way to "grow the game," but it's something that's nearly nonexistent in the States.  That's one thing that worries me about all those new golfers in China.  Near as I can tell, all that growth is aimed at the resort/7500-yard/high-roller crowd, and I'm not sure that's healthy for the game long term.

#16 Hozzle

Hozzle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

I grew up playing a 18 hole par 3 course. They rented clubs. The front 9 was all less than 140 holes and the back had 150 to 250 holes. It was a great place to learn golf.

#17 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostHozzle, on 21 November 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

I grew up playing a 18 hole par 3 course. They rented clubs. The front 9 was all less than 140 holes and the back had 150 to 250 holes. It was a great place to learn golf.

And now you have no issues putting out over $100 a month to golf.  However, most people don't know about, or have access to "starter" courses like that. They only see tee times at $30-100 each, plus the cost of a set of clubs, plus the cost of a whole days time, plus the fact that they aren't very good at it (yet), plus that daunting 500yrd+ par 5 that they have no hope of hitting in 3. So they turn around and pick up a baseball/basketball/soccer ball/tennis racket and head to the nearest park.  Availability of a low cost, less time consuming, lower barrier of entry to golf is truly what is killing the game.  

The economy is also a contributing factor, no doubt.  But I think the economy is much more of a factor on the higher end "luxury" world of golf. Yes, private clubs and equipment companies struggle during economic struggles, but that is only growing one end of the game... the already developed/interested end.  If you truly want to grow the game, you need to make it easier and more fun to START in the game.

Edited by displayname, 21 November 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#18 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Very easy to "grow the game".  Just wait for the next Tiger Woods...

Interesting article on Golf Participation and the number of players.

http://cgmaterials.c.../GolfPartic.pdf

The chart for number of golfers follows the popularity of the superstar of the day.

#19 33 Handicap

33 Handicap

Psalms 37:23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75705
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

Excellent topic.I grew up playing the inexpensive team sports.Golf was NOT on the radar.
Tiger made golf cool for me and my friends.IMO golf growth is hindered by its cost.

#20 mshills

mshills

Consistently inconsistent.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

No thanks.

Uh, no.  "More kids picking up the game and playing golf instead of video games."  I'll take it.

Driver: Srixon Z-Star, Miyazaki Dromos
3w:  TEE CB2, Motore F1
2i + 3i:  Ping Eye 2 SS
4i - SW:  Ping ISI BeCu
LW:  Ping Eye 2 BeCu
Putter:  Dave Curry Big Oak Havana

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 bullie76

bullie76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121903
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

View Postjmck, on 20 November 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

I believe there are about 30m golfers in the US.  Supposedly, China's going to have 60m new golfers in the next 10 years.  That's a lot of stuff that's going to be sold over there.  Not sure what it all means for golf in the US though.

It means the Chinese will be dominating golf 20 years from now and beating our butts.
Taylormade R1 BLACK Driver
RBZ Tour 13* 3 wood - my 2 wood
Adams F10 15* and 18* FW woods
Adams A12 Idea 21* Hybrid
Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons 5-gw
Clev 588 56* s/w & Classic #2 putter

#22 cuddytime

cuddytime

Math City, Math Math City

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89780
  • Ebay ID:savestehday
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 18 November 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

"Growth" doesn't always equal "health."
this is so true.

golf is a very inaccessible sport especially for those of us who work long hours... our only option are night-time driving ranges for practice, but many of them shut down due to the economy..

#23 ATXgolfer

ATXgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99957
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I get to play 2-3 times a week because I have access to a 9-hole course (with 3 par 4's) and it costs me $350 a year. If I did not have access to this facility, i know that my golfing would have been restricted to only a couple of rounds a month. This facility has short game practice facilities (sand, pitching), grass range, 3-hole par 3 course and putting greens. And the condition of the course and layout would rival any of the daily fee courses that charge $75 a round.

We need more of these in every city... does not have to be in top notch shape.. but cheap access to play golf. I don;t think you can become a better golfer without playing frequently, and it helps having access to such facilities so promote the game and have it picked up by more junior golfers.

Edited by ATXgolfer , 04 December 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#24 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostATXgolfer, on 04 December 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

I get to play 2-3 times a week because I have access to a 9-hole course (with 3 par 4's) and it costs me $350 a year. If I did not have access to this facility, i know that my golfing would have been restricted to only a couple of rounds a month. This facility has short game practice facilities (sand, pitching), grass range, 3-hole par 3 course and putting greens. And the condition of the course and layout would rival any of the daily fee courses that charge $75 a round.

We need more of these in every city... does not have to be in top notch shape.. but cheap access to play golf. I don;t think you can become a better golfer without playing frequently, and it helps having access to such facilities so promote the game and have it picked up by more junior golfers.

I could not agree more. This is 100% the type of facility and program I a think we just need more of.  You pay less a month then some people do for a discounted round at a "goat track" course. Frequent players and those new to the game can get out on the course or range for just a few dollars.  And with those par 3 holes, it makes it easier to gradually work to the big holes, then to a full 18 hole round.  And for people that never get that far, it is still much easier to enjoy the game.

#25 cuddytime

cuddytime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

is it harvey penick?

#26 ATXgolfer

ATXgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99957
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

View Postcuddytime, on 04 December 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

is it harvey penick?

Yes. Have you played there?

#27 cuddytime

cuddytime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Back in college, I used to go there with my ex; it's a great course

#28 4thand11

4thand11

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97100
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

Many people don't want to play a game that pretty much requires lessons in order to even participate. It's recreation, not a 2nd job. Never mind the expense of lessons which often don't even help.

I think the game would grow better if we stopped acting like hundreds of dollars on lessons was a requirement to play the game. It's intimidating and makes the whole thing seen like too much work.

Plenty of people play and enjoy golf without ever taking a lesson. The fun and social aspects of the game should be highlighted, family outings, pitch and putt, leagues, etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors