Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My blade experiment has come to an end, and now started again

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#31 Big Smooth

Big Smooth

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54652
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

View Postsomaplr, on 18 November 2012 - 10:57 AM, said:

View PostNRJyzr, on 18 November 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

View PostBig Smooth, on 18 November 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

Basically re-iterating points, and no offense, but no 16 handicap is a "good" ballstriker.  

I have to call BS on that.  I was a good ballstriker as a 20 hdcp.  I couldn't score worth a damn, but I could pound the center of the clubface.  I have a friend who swore I was better with a 4 iron in my hand than an 8 iron.

There are no absolutes in golf.

What's the definition of a good ball striker?  I think it varies person to person...but of you're a good ball striker I don't think my definition would be posting the occasional 100 as a 20 handicap. Good ball striking is a direct relation to your GIR.
I would agree that there are no absolutes, but, in general I would define a "good" ball striker as someone who would average 9 greens in regulation/round.
Your "pounding the center of the face" is meaningless if it is rarely square - I rarely pound the center of the clubface, but I almost always return the face to square, so the quality of my bad shots is much better than most, regardless of the quality of contact.  The best measure of ball striking is the bad shots, and how good they are.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

The answer to life, the universe, and everything, is 42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Basically re-iterating points, and no offense, but no 16 handicap is a "good" ballstriker.  

I have to call BS on that.  I was a good ballstriker as a 20 hdcp.  I couldn't score worth a damn, but I could pound the center of the clubface.  I have a friend who swore I was better with a 4 iron in my hand than an 8 iron.

What's the definition of a good ball striker?  I think it varies person to person...but of you're a good ball striker I don't think my definition would be posting the occasional 100 as a 20 handicap. Good ball striking is a direct relation to your GIR.

Wholeheartedly disagree.

No offense, you're looking at this far too narrowly.  There are a LOT of reasons someone who can hit the ball well with their irons would be poor at scoring.  If you're wild off the tee, you're not going to score, particularly when penalty strokes are added in to the mix.  If you can't putt, you're not going to score.  If your short game is such that you virtually never get up and down, you're not going to score.

None of these things have anything to do with your ability to actually strike the ball.
TM R11s Motore Speeder 7.0
TM R11s 14 Aldila NV85
Ping Eye2 1 iron
3-LW Ping ISI DG
Ping Karsten 1959 Anser2
WITB Link

#33 Big Smooth

Big Smooth

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostNRJyzr, on 18 November 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Wholeheartedly disagree.

No offense, you're looking at this far too narrowly.  There are a LOT of reasons someone who can hit the ball well with their irons would be poor at scoring.  If you're wild off the tee, you're not going to score, particularly when penalty strokes are added in to the mix.  If you can't putt, you're not going to score.  If your short game is such that you virtually never get up and down, you're not going to score.

None of these things have anything to do with your ability to actually strike the ball.
I'm not sure I understand how being wild off the tee doesn't relate to ball striking ability?

#34 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostBig Smooth, on 18 November 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Your "pounding the center of the face" is meaningless if it is rarely square

In this debate, it is all that's relevant.  We're talking about the classic blade vs CB argument.  The general consensus is that you need to hit the center of the face to use blades.  

If the problem you have is because of swing path, or one of face angle in either direction, but you're hitting the center of the face, you can still play blades.  A so called forgiving CB isn't going to help you keep the ball online.  It's a swing issue.

But we're not talking about the swing.  We're talking about the clubhead, independent of the player.
TM R11s 14 Aldila NV85
Ping Eye2 1 iron
3-LW Ping ISI DG
Ping Karsten 1959 Anser2
WITB Link

#35 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostBig Smooth, on 18 November 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

I'm not sure I understand how being wild off the tee doesn't relate to ball striking ability?

I'm not understanding why you think the tee game has any relation to being able to play blades, which is the basic point behind this thread?

TM R11s 14 Aldila NV85
Ping Eye2 1 iron
3-LW Ping ISI DG
Ping Karsten 1959 Anser2
WITB Link

#36 Big Smooth

Big Smooth

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

View PostNRJyzr, on 18 November 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

I'm not understanding why you think the tee game has any relation to being able to play blades, which is the basic point behind this thread?
I guess I'm threadjacking (in which case this will be my last post in this thread), but I was not responding to the blades/no blades argument, but rather the the fact that I do not believe that there is such thing as a 16 handicap who is a "good" ballstriker.  I believe anyone can play modern blades - where 90% of golfers go wrong is trying to hit irons too far, and assuming they are longer than they are.
I will say though, that there is no such thing as a "good" ballstriker who averages multiple penalty shots per round as a result of wild tee shots - hitting a golf ball well is the same, regardless of what club you hold in your hands.  Anyone who regularly shoots 90 is kidding themselves if they think they are a "good" ballstriker.

#37 tec333

tec333

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27654
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostBig Smooth, on 18 November 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

I guess I'm threadjacking (in which case this will be my last post in this thread), but I was not responding to the blades/no blades argument, but rather the the fact that I do not believe that there is such thing as a 16 handicap who is a "good" ballstriker.  I believe anyone can play modern blades - where 90% of golfers go wrong is trying to hit irons too far, and assuming they are longer than they are.
I will say though, that there is no such thing as a "good" ballstriker who averages multiple penalty shots per round as a result of wild tee shots - hitting a golf ball well is the same, regardless of what club you hold in your hands.  Anyone who regularly shoots 90 is kidding themselves if they think they are a "good" ballstriker.

I somewhat agree, unless they hit every green or GIR stats around 70% up but they take 40 putts a round.  Then it is possible to have a good ball striker shooting in the 90s.  I've never seen or played with anyone like this but maybe one day I'll run into one of them.

#38 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostBig Smooth, on 18 November 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

I don't know anyone that I'd consider a "good" ballstriker that is not at least a mid single digit hdcp.  Perhaps 16 hdcp good ballstrikers exist, but they'd have to average about 45 putts/round!  Finding the center of the face is very important, but hitting it on line is even more important.   Hitting it solidly, at your intended target and the right distance are all qualities of a good ballstriker.  If the OP's played 25 rounds with his new irons and can't hit the ball his intended distance while at the same time hitting 2000 balls/week with said irons speaks for itself.

Now to the difference in the irons that the OP references, they are quite different in the location of the Cg and the loft of the MP69 is 1 deg. more than the i20.  Ping tends to have the Cg placed much further from the hosel than Mizuno, so the OP may be used to hitting the ball out a little more towards the toe, coming from i20's.  The Pings also have a much higher MOI.  Hit those MP69's just a 1/4" toe side of the Cg, given their higher loft and lower MOI and I can see him coming up 15-20 shorter given the same club.  A 1/4" toe side hit is very hard to feel for an average player.  I've had 3 sets of Mizuno's (MP30, 33, 32)and currently play Callaway X-tours.  Even though they are very similar in Cg, MOI and MPF rating, the Mizuno MP30's and 32's are about 5-7 yards shorter typically and the 33's about a full club shorter (due to higher loft and lower COR face)

#39 fairwaysroverated

fairwaysroverated

If it ain't Bully, it ain't ......

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191214
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:winter4752
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Judging by reading this tread I may have the good ballo striking thing wrong here. What I meant was that I hit the club very close to the center of the face pretty often and don't hit allot of fat or thin shots. I know where my weakness is. I tend to cut across the ball at times or something like that anyway. I see the clubs exit left right after ball contact. I have bad impact position at times to, but with GI clubs you can get away with allot more.

I'll try to answer everyones questions in one post here.

Same shafts as I've played since the S56's. KBS tours

I like to hit my irons a certain distance because I know I can, and that way I don't have a gap between my long iron and woods so I try to learn how I'm hitting them farther when I do it. It's not a bragging thing, just the way I choose to play them game.

Also, you have to remember that when I say good ball striker, I'm talking about out of guys that I play with and how AI compare to them. I'm sure that if a 1 handicap reads that it makes him chuckle a bit, but hey, just hitting the ball clean to me is a good ball striker. I can also work the ball both ways pretty good. NOT GREAT just good.

The other thing is, why are WRXers so angry? haha. Reading some of the responses it seems like some of ya'll are sitting at the compuiter just waiting to jump on someone. Just relax, life will get better.
9.5* G25 Driver, TFC tour stiff
14* G25 Fairway, TFC tour stiff
17* G25 Hybrid, TFC tour stiff
3 - PW 2013 Anser irons, KBS C Taper
52* and 58* Anser Wedges, KBS C Taper
Anser Milled # 2

#40 somaplr

somaplr

Vaya con Dios, Brah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
GolfWRX Likes : 869

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostNRJyzr, on 18 November 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Wholeheartedly disagree.

Am I?  My definition of good ball striking is hitting the ball where you intend it to go...not just hitting the center face of the club.  If you are 150-175 yards out and can't hit it on the green consistently...then I would not classify you as a good ball striker.  

If you're trying to get up and down to save par 2 out of 3 holes, then your iron game isn't what you think it is.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

View Postfairwaysroverated, on 18 November 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

First, a little history about me and my game. I have been playing golf for 2 years now. My strength is ball striking, tee to green. I'm a 16 cap and if I had any kind of short game I would shot well into the 80's consistently. It's not uncommon for me to be just off the green on a par 4 then chili dip a chip and three put for double boogey. Just thinking about that makes me want to pull my hair out, but onto my expirience.

I recently switched from S56's to MP 59 and 69 combo set up (I used to hit my S56's great just for refference). I have the full set of both clubs, but mix and match according to how I feel that day. Since Ive switched I've been hitting what look to be beautiful shot's in the air and feel great off the face, but always fall short of the green. I've gone from hitting my I20 9 iron 160 yards, to my S56 9 iron 150 yard, to my MP 69 9 iron 135 yards. Talk about depressing. After this happening consistanly now for about 25 rounds, I realize that even though it feels like I'm hitting the center of the club face I must be just a hair off and it makes a huge difference on the distance.

After I played in a local tournament yesterday and hit only one green with my MP 59 4 iron from 208 yards I went straight from the course to my local golf shop and started comparing my blades to the JPX pro 825's and AP2's. I hit the JPX pro 6 iron consistantly 180 yards with 1 out of every 10 going for 190 plus. Took out my MP 69 6 iron and hit it 170 yards 1 out of every 10, and 1 out of 20 it went 180 yards. The AP2's were about 5 yards shorter than the JPX pro's, but just as consistent.

So I hope this saves someone out there thinking about going to blades and having the question we see on here all to often, "should I play blades" some money. I guess bottom line, if you have to ask wether or not you should play them, you should probably stick with what you have.
Sorry, Its not the equipment !! Golfers play blades  for various reasons, least of which is distance. It looks
like you are playing with alot of different equipment here. Why not choose to play one set of irons??
Callaway BB Alpha 9* Driver
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 3  Wood
TEE XCG6 19* & 24*  Hybrids
Callaway Apex Pro  5 thru PW irons
Odyssey ix  protype 9 HT Putter
Vokey 50*, 54*, & 58* Wedges

#42 DrInhale

DrInhale

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180842
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostPar Fore, on 18 November 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

no offense here, I have been in a similar boat good ball striker, poor short game.  But if the short game is what is keeping your hdcp high, stop worring so much about your iron distance and start worring about why you chilli dip a pitch and then three putt.

+1
It doesn't matter if you play blades or cb. If you can consistently hit the iron well why are you wasting time and money changing irons?  If you are a club ho, I understand.  If you are trying to improve your game and you say you are a good ball striker stick to one set of irons while working on you short game.  Just my $0.02.
Adams Speedline LS 9.5* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Speedline LS 13* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super LS XTD 19* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super Dhy 21* Kuro Kage XStiff
Ping i20 5i-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 51, 56, 62 KBS Stiff

#43 fairwaysroverated

fairwaysroverated

• 996 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

The only reason I typed this post up is to try and help out a fellow golfer if he's thinking about making the same mistake as I made. I wasn't so much looking for advise on how to improve my game. I know what it takes and unfortunately it takes allot of time and practice. I have a mat and net in my back yard and a chipping net, but being an only parent and commuting to work everyday kind of make it hard to practice any more than hit about 50 balls a night into my net.

Any way, I hope this helped open some ones eyes. I know mine are open now.
Anser Milled # 2

#44 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

View Postsomaplr, on 18 November 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

Am I?  My definition of good ball striking is hitting the ball where you intend it to go...not just hitting the center face of the club.  If you are 150-175 yards out and can't hit it on the green consistently...then I would not classify you as a good ball striker.  

If you're trying to get up and down to save par 2 out of 3 holes, then your iron game isn't what you think it is.

For the purposes of this thread, yes, you are.  :)

Context, man.  Context.
TM R11s 14 Aldila NV85
Ping Eye2 1 iron
3-LW Ping ISI DG
Ping Karsten 1959 Anser2
WITB Link

#45 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 634

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

I've read a lot of inane threads on golf forums through the years, but this one ranks right up there with the silliest.  Any 16 or 20 handicapper who says he's a "good ball striker", needs to get a clue ... because he obviously doesn't have one.  "Good" isn't a relatively term, it's an absolute.  You may be a better ball-striker than the 25 indexes you play with, but that doesn't make you "good", it only makes you better than someone else.

What's more, 16 & 20 handicappers giving advice on swing path, face angle and the relative merits of hitting blades vs cavity backs, is beyond ludicrous.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

#46 fairwaysroverated

fairwaysroverated

• 996 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostBrianL99, on 18 November 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

I've read a lot of inane threads on golf forums through the years, but this one ranks right up there with the silliest.  Any 16 or 20 handicapper who says he's a "good ball striker", needs to get a clue ... because he obviously doesn't have one.  "Good" isn't a relatively term, it's an absolute.  You may be a better ball-striker than the 25 indexes you play with, but that doesn't make you "good", it only makes you better than someone else.

What's more, 16 & 20 handicappers giving advice on swing path, face angle and the relative merits of hitting blades vs cavity backs, is beyond ludicrous.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Would it upset you less if I said maybe good for playing 2 years. Would this make you warm and tiggly inside? I was speaking the way I feel. Obviously I don't have all of the experience that guys playing for 10 to 20 years have and I might say something that sounds silly because maybe I don't have a clue. As I explained above, what I meant by good ball striker was that I hit the ball clean, not fat or thin ot towards the toe. My inexperience would lead me to beleiving thats good. I don't so much see it as ludiscris or inane as you put it. I don't always hit the ball where I'm aiming and have bad impact position at times. I know my faults, but knowing what to do and how to do it are two totally different things.

Have a nice night.
Anser Milled # 2

#47 Mr. Grumpy

Mr. Grumpy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140787
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

FO- People here can be harsh, especially when you tread on their territory.. Blades vs others is a very polarizing topic, as is the "if you don't hit the green from 150-175 consistently you are not a good ball striker".. Then the white knight rides in and says play what you want, life is too short.

No worries, a failed experiment is just that. I say make those cute little garden birds out of them and sell them for a profit at the local art fair.
Titleist 913 D3
Bridgestone DPC
Adams Super S 3
Cleveland 588 wedge
Cleveland Mashie
Old Ping Putter

#48 dunn

dunn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124833
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

I know more low hndcp that consider themselves poor ballstrikers than I hear about 15+ hndcp considering themselves  good ballstrikers

If your a 15/16 handicap your not a good ballstriker.....lol

I am 7 hdcp and consider mine pretty bad actually......

Ballstriking includes accuracy

#49 Tread

Tread

• 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166587
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

I don't even understand the original topic. The user played blades but hit them short and didn't hit greens so he switched to a CB? This means a 16 cap should play CB's?

And why do people use the term handicap instead of index?
Taylormade R1 w/ Fujikura MS 6.2 TS
Titliest 910 Hybrid w/ Fujikura Kamo
Mizuno 3-PW MP59 w/ TT Monaco
Mizuno MP-R12 (50, 55, 60) w/ X100
SC Golo

#50 soregongolfer

soregongolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97841
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

View Postfairwaysroverated, on 18 November 2012 - 08:07 AM, said:

First, a little history about me and my game. I have been playing golf for 2 years now. My strength is ball striking, tee to green. I'm a 16 cap and if I had any kind of short game I would shot well into the 80's consistently. It's not uncommon for me to be just off the green on a par 4 then chili dip a chip and three put for double boogey. Just thinking about that makes me want to pull my hair out, but onto my expirience.

I recently switched from S56's to MP 59 and 69 combo set up (I used to hit my S56's great just for refference). I have the full set of both clubs, but mix and match according to how I feel that day. Since Ive switched I've been hitting what look to be beautiful shot's in the air and feel great off the face, but always fall short of the green. I've gone from hitting my I20 9 iron 160 yards, to my S56 9 iron 150 yard, to my MP 69 9 iron 135 yards. Talk about depressing. After this happening consistanly now for about 25 rounds, I realize that even though it feels like I'm hitting the center of the club face I must be just a hair off and it makes a huge difference on the distance.

After I played in a local tournament yesterday and hit only one green with my MP 59 4 iron from 208 yards I went straight from the course to my local golf shop and started comparing my blades to the JPX pro 825's and AP2's. I hit the JPX pro 6 iron consistantly 180 yards with 1 out of every 10 going for 190 plus. Took out my MP 69 6 iron and hit it 170 yards 1 out of every 10, and 1 out of 20 it went 180 yards. The AP2's were about 5 yards shorter than the JPX pro's, but just as consistent.

So I hope this saves someone out there thinking about going to blades and having the question we see on here all to often, "should I play blades" some money. I guess bottom line, if you have to ask wether or not you should play them, you should probably stick with what you have.

It's in your head.  You've read too much about blades vs. cb on these sites.  I say that because you haven't mentioned different ball flights, etc.  If you're hitting those blades at the same speed you're hitting those cb's and everything else is equal, there is no way you're getting a 30 yard difference.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 orangeruffy

orangeruffy

• 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55662
  • Handicap:3.0
  • Ebay ID:none
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

I might suggest you have the lofts of your MP's checked. I use to play MP 14 and 29 years ago. When the MP 30's came out I was all over them. Could not hit them very well. Distances were all over the place. Bought them off the rack. Well, took them back and had the lofts checked. They were all over the place. 4 iron was stronger lofted than my 3 iron. 6* difference in lie angle between my 8 and 7 iron. Variances were all over the place. Never bought MP again. Sure there better now, but I'd have them checked if I were you. For me it started me down the path of building my own clubs. Started with purchase of a Mitchell.

#52 bushy007

bushy007

KABOOM!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146741
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

View Posttopr, on 18 November 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

If you're a "good ball striker" then why not just pick a set...of the six you're hitting, establish your yardages with that set, and call it good. If you continue to have yardage issues after that it may be time to re-think what good ball striking is.
This right here is GOLD!!!

When I made the switch I spent hours getting MY distances right. Sure, I was around a club shorter for most of my irons but traditional lofts will do that. Wanting to hit irons long is not the answer as many, many others have alluded to. Perhaps your definition of "good ball striking" is different to other peoples. I'd have to say too that 25 yards is not "a hair off" in my book.

#53 sniper

sniper

Advanced

• 438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3748
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

View Postdunn, on 19 November 2012 - 01:43 AM, said:

I know more low hndcp that consider themselves poor ballstrikers than I hear about 15+ hndcp considering themselves  good ballstrikers

If your a 15/16 handicap your not a good ballstriker.....lol

I am 7 hdcp and consider mine pretty bad actually......

Ballstriking includes accuracy

I have to agree. I'm a 6 and think that I'm pretty bad as well. Like a previous post said its more about line. Two weeks ago I hit the flag stick using my gap wedge. I would consider this a perfect strike. Last week I holed out a gap wedge on a par 4 for eagle.  I hit the ball on line but there is no question it was thin and didn't feel good coming off the face but it hit and spun back for a deuce.  (Sorry had to brag). But the point being I hit many other shots that were better struck then the one that was "perfect". I'm on the mission to find consistent yardage gaps with my next set.

#54 DrInhale

DrInhale

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180842
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

OP, I think you are misunderstanding what the majority of the responders are saying.  We are stating it doesn't matter if you play blades or cavity at a 16 handicap.  We are recommending just using one set of clubs instead of six different types then learn your distances.  Hitting 50 balls into a net is not the most effienct use of your practice time.  Hit 15 balls, chip 10, then putt some.  I had a bad ballstriking day only hitting 33% GIR still managed a 76 because I have a short game.  Good luck with your game.
Adams Speedline LS 9.5* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Speedline LS 13* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super LS XTD 19* Kuro Kage XStiff
Adams Super Dhy 21* Kuro Kage XStiff
Ping i20 5i-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 51, 56, 62 KBS Stiff

#55 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 766

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

GolfWRX topic featuring "blades" and "ballstriker"?

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

TM SF 1.0 10.5
RBZ2 5W
Ping G25 3-LW
TM DLL 35"

#56 Timanator

Timanator

SFClone

• 2,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71372
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

To the OP, I used to think I was a good ball striker until I saw pro's up close. The definition of a Good ball Striker is:

Hitting every shot solid with the same trajectory. The ball starting on the intended line.

Which is also why there is not a chance any high HCP can really be a good Ball Striker because of simple math.

Edited by Timanator, 19 November 2012 - 12:55 PM.

Ping Anser 9.5 Ahina 70-S
Adams Super S 2H 17 degrees, Kujoh-S
Ping I20 3-PW KBS Tour-S
Ping Tour W 52/Mizuno 56T10
Odyssey Versa 7

#57 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

View PostDrInhale, on 19 November 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

OP, I think you are misunderstanding what the majority of the responders are saying.  We are stating it doesn't matter if you play blades or cavity at a 16 handicap.  We are recommending just using one set of clubs instead of six different types then learn your distances.  Hitting 50 balls into a net is not the most effienct use of your practice time.  Hit 15 balls, chip 10, then putt some.  I had a bad ballstriking day only hitting 33% GIR still managed a 76 because I have a short game.  Good luck with your game.

Yes, in two years of playing, the OP has played more sets (or combo's) of clubs than I have in the last 15 years.  One thing that I think all "relatively" decent ballstrikers learn is that each club has it's own unique personality and you have to learn it's nuances.  Some clubs (even within the same set) might be a little more draw or fade biased than others, etc.  You learn which clubs you can juice a little and which one's you need to back off on if you're in between yardages.  Which clubs you have to grip a little stronger or weaker than others and so on.  You'll never get there switching around all the time.  Probably takes at least a few months of hitting clubs every day to really get them dialed in yardage wise.

As I wrote earlier, the Mizuno's have the sweet spot closer to the hosel than the Pings, so the OP may have been conditioned with the i20's to hitting the ball just slightly more toe side than is required for a Mizuno.

#58 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Porked!

• 15,629 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 1312

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 18 November 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

View Posttbowles411, on 18 November 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

But the point is valid...

You better think twice before playing those Miura baby blades next year man....

I thought he was an Epon guy now.

T you are nuts!
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19*, 22* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 25*, 29*
Wishon 6-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#59 fairwaysroverated

fairwaysroverated

• 996 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostDrInhale, on 19 November 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

O have 2 sets that I play, but they are MP 59 and 69's. I'll mix in some of the blades on teh short irons from time to time. I had a set of s56's that I hit really well, but got rid of them for something that looked better. My point of this post if you read the original one was to try and help somebody else that may be thinking about making the same mistake.
Anser Milled # 2

#60 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostBubb, on 18 November 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

View PostNessism, on 18 November 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

View Postjwrogers, on 18 November 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

I think using distance as the measuring stick is wrong.   I think the better discussion is consistency.

I agree completely.  Distance is hugely over rated, yet first and foremost on most golfers minds.  For me the number one priority is knowing where the ball is going, distance included.  I don't care what number is on the bottom of the club.
I agree that most big hitters who can't score should focus on things other than distance, but I don't think distance is over-rated. I'm usually the shortest hitter in my group and I routinely beat people who hit it longer, but my game is maxed-out. I've gotten down to a 3 hdcp, but I can't squeeze much more out of my game without adding more distance and, at my age, it just isn't going to happen.

Just like how you can't teach height in basketball or speed in football, I'd rather have the advantage of distance in golf and then work to dial in the other aspects. I can break par on occasion, but I can't bring a course to it's knees like some of the long hitters I play with. Distance is a big advantage, in my opinion. Short hitters can't prosper at the highest levels.

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think that's a conversation about irons.   If you hit a 5 and your opponent hits a 6 but you can hit that 5 the same distance every time, you're not at a disadvantage.     Now driver or maybe even 3 wood/5 wood, let's talk about distance.   It's hugely important.    But saying I'm switching irons because I'm 7 yards longer with the new iron-- it doesn't make sense unless you're reconfiguring your gaps that the bottem end of the bag, in which case it's not really an advantage.

I hit my PW as far as I used to hit my 9i.   Great, huge advantage, right?   Um, except I never carried a GW before and now I do, so really my bag is the same as it always was except the labels on the clubs are different.

I think one way to evaluate would be this... "I tried some new irons and I can hit the new 5i a lot higher than the 5i normally carry."   Now that's a good thing.   That's probably worth changing for.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors