Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Garmin Approach S-1 and/or S-3 GPS watches...

Reviews ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Looking at a GPS watch for 2013.  How do you owners of these like 'em ?  Thanks

Edited by sheldonjhacker, 17 November 2012 - 09:54 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ruckus10

ruckus10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78547
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Got the s-3.  It's a nice GPS watch.  Charge will probably hold you for about 2 rounds.  I like the layup function for the par 5s if its too far to get in 2.  Very convenient to just look down at your wrist instead of fumbling with a separate unit.  Only thing, I don't like watches when I played and even though its light, it did bother me at times.  But if you don't care, convenience is the best feature.

#3 Andy L

Andy L

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

View Postsheldonjhacker, on 17 November 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

Looking at a GPS watch for 2013.  How do you owners of these like 'em ?  Thanks

If you search this site there are plenty of threads about the garmin s1 (and more recent s3).  Also go check out the customer reviews on Amazon.  The reviews are very, very positive.

#4 BraveAnthony

BraveAnthony

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26328
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

I returned the S3 for S1.  The whole point of me getting the watch was to make my game simple but all the additional features of the s3 made it as hectic as using Golshot on my iphone.  Had to constantly swipe my watch to go into th greenview and after a couple of rounds i realized that i dont need the green view because I almost always play at about 7 courses where i know how their greens look like.
So I returned the S3 for the s1 and 910 d2 driver.  The best move i have ever made in my golf hobby!  
I was going to use golfshot when i go to a new course and use laser in a very very important shot into the green.  Played 3 rounds so far and S1 is all that i needed.  Used laser and s1 side by side in my first round and s1 was within a yard or two of my laser. And my laser has +-1 yard discrepancy so its more than good enough.  S1 seems faster than s3 and is slighly thinner. I would think it should consume less energy thus longer battery life.

#5 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• 2,788 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:12.9
GolfWRX Likes : 453

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

I love the simplicty of my S1. Front/Middle/Back. That's it. If I need distances to doglegs/hazards/traps on courses I'm not familiar with, I'll ask if there's no course book.

It really has helped me become a lot more consistant with my game knowing how far things are and what club I need to use.

I can get about 27 holes in a day before it dies.

ruckus10... I don't wear watches at all, so it's either looped on my push cart handle when walking or if riding in a cart, on one of my belt loops for my pants. Quick glance down, and done.

--kC

Edited by Imp, 27 November 2012 - 08:04 AM.

RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#6 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostImp, on 27 November 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

ruckus10... I don't wear watches at all, so it's either looped on my push cart handle when walking or if riding in a cart, on one of my belt loops for my pants. Quick glance down, and done.

--kC

I have to ask.  Why would you take a watch device and attach it to the cart thus making it the same as any other portable GPS golf device?

#7 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• 2,788 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Simplicity. Form factor. Cost. Ease of use. Speed of use. Readability. Durability...  to name a few.

--kC

#8 jshel

jshel

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17037
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

I just picked up a S1 on Black Friday. In Arizona now and will use it for the first time tomorrow.

I got it because I wanted something that I didn't have to pay a membership for or load courses on like I have had to with my SkyCaddie.
Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 degrees
FW: Titleist 913 FD 15 degrees
Hybrids: Adams XTD 17; Adams A12 19
Irons: Ping G25 4-PW
Putter: Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
Wedges: Ping Gorge 52 and 58 degrees

#9 bdirty

bdirty

Of Questionable Intelligence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132711
  • Handicap:22
  • Ebay ID:bdirt
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

S1 is the best golf related purchase I have made in the last two years!  If you don't need all the bells and whistles other gps units have... it will pay for itself in just a few rounds.  Lighter than most of the watches I own so I don't have any issues wearing during the round.  I have used it on about 20 courses in Florida and Missouri and the yardages have been within a yard or two on every course.  At around $170 these days it is very affordable for all...i have spent more than that too many times at the 19th hole!  Very satisfied with mine!!!
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 9.5*
RBZ Tour TP Rescue 18.5*
Rescue Mid 22*,25*
Callaway X-22 Tour 5-PW KBS Tour
Vokey 48*,54*,58*
Odyssey White Ice #2

#10 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• 2,788 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

View Postjshel, on 29 November 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

I just picked up a S1 on Black Friday. In Arizona now and will use it for the first time tomorrow.

I got it because I wanted something that I didn't have to pay a membership for or load courses on like I have had to with my SkyCaddie.
I 'update' mine every few months. It had the courses I play already pre-loaded, but they update the firmware occasionally too.

I found one course that I play that has the 3rd hole and 7th hole parallel to each other, but the approach yardages were always 'off'. I play this course occasionally and always chalked it up to satellite/gps issues. It just hit me last month standing on the 3rd green looking at the watch it said '65 yds'. Hmm, that's about how far away the 7th green is. I switched the watch to 7th hole, it read '3 yds'. :lol:

On the 7th, I did the same thing... same results. 5yds to 3rd, 67ish to 7th. Bingo. Garmin had the holes reversed (standing on 3rd fwy would give distance to 7th and vice versa). I opened a ticket last month and don't know if they updated it yet.

--kC

Edited by Imp, 29 November 2012 - 07:58 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Hakko

Hakko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142691
  • Handicap:8.9
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

I picked up a "like new" S3 on eBay.  Very glad I did. I had been using Golfshot, which I liked, but found the constant fumbling with my phone somewhat annoying and possibly affecting my pace of play. Before that I had a SkyCaddie SG5 (since sold on eBay). On my home course the yardage is spot on. I like being able to customize locations to my game. Switching to green view is actually pretty quick and easy. I find it useful on short shots when I want to target my landing area, rather than the pin itself. Scoring takes mere seconds. I've never liked to wear a watch while playing -- my watches are pretty chunky -- but I'm not overly bothered by the S3 on my wrist.

This is definitely my favorite GPS to date. I had wondered whether the lower amount of course data would hurt me, but so far less is more.

Assuming the S1 is as accurate as the S3 it's a very good choice if you don't want the hazard/layup info.
Adams Super LS 9.5*, UST VTS Tour 6.2 S
Ping i20 15*, UST VTS Tour S
Titleist 910h 19*, Diamana Kai'li S
Ping i20 4-PW, KBS Tour S
Scor 51*, 55*, 59*, KBS Genius 120g
Seemore M3, 35"

#12 golfjam

golfjam

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11743
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I've a S3. Very easy to use and fairly accurate. I got as a gift and would choose a S1 if given a choice. The touchscreen is nice but I rather use my Bushnell V2 for a more precise yardage.

Edited by golfjam, 10 December 2012 - 02:46 PM.

Titleist 910 D3 7.5 Fuji Fuel X
Titleist 906F2 15 Fuji 370 X
Mizuno MP-68 3-PW X100
Miura 52 Miura 56 X100
Scotty Cameron Newport Beach DLIII

Also tagged with Reviews ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors