Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Canine Golf Ball Retriever

dog retriever ball

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CSchnee

CSchnee

Temporary Lefty

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138338
  • Handicap:5.7
  • Ebay ID:pinnacle27201
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

So I like to practice my golf swing in my back yard and hit balls. My 7 month old border collie also loves to grab my golf balls when I go to hit them. She's really smart and learns trick really quickly. Anybody good with training dogs want to give me some tips on how I can get her to get the balls for me. I'd really like to train her to sit while I hit the ball and then go run after it. Right now, if I put a ball on the ground she'll grab it right away. I need her to stay so I can hit the ball, and then have her run and go get it. Any advice?

Bio Cell Pro/ Oban Kiyoshi White
13* Callaway Xhot Pro 3 deep, 3H
4-PW Cobra Amp Cell Pro, C Taper S+
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52, 58 ATV
Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport
Taylormade Lethal
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

My dog does the same, but she is just not starting to bring them back to me. But she still tries to steal them from time to time.
Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 04 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 704 5 iron/6-pw 670 mb KBS tour
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55/59
Scotty cameron Red X
WITB Link

#3 CHARGERS

CHARGERS

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34586
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Adopt a Lab, the come already trained!!!!

#4 CSchnee

CSchnee

Temporary Lefty

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138338
  • Handicap:5.7
  • Ebay ID:pinnacle27201
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Well we adopted our puppy rory! She's actually a border collie-lab mix so she's built to retrieve! We got her at 8 weeks old though so no pre-training. I started working with her with training treats. Seems to be working a bit better. If I get her to do it ill post a video.
Bio Cell Pro/ Oban Kiyoshi White
13* Callaway Xhot Pro 3 deep, 3H
4-PW Cobra Amp Cell Pro, C Taper S+
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52, 58 ATV
Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport
Taylormade Lethal
WITB Link

#5 Jbird33

Jbird33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154081
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Sit behind her, hold the collar.  Throw the golf ball.  Don't let her go until she sits still, and don't let her get a ball until you let her go.  Let her go and call her name at the same time.  This is what you will "release" her on later on.  It will take a while until she learns this is what you want.  Oh, and general obedience needs to be good before you start this, she absolutely needs to know sit, stay, here, etc.  P.M. if you are serious about it, I have trained more than a few dogs in retriever field trials, where you are dropped from competition if the dog "breaks" or leaves before you send it.  It's easy, just takes a while.  Border Collies are known to be intelligent, and I am sure she will get it.  Saying that, I second the lab comment!

#6 Jbird33

Jbird33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154081
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Re-reading what you wrote, it really sounds like you need to work on OB the most now.

#7 Senna

Senna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208351
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Mine will go get and bring back the ball but anything over a 20 yard chip and he just cant see it flying through the air.

#8 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1386

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

When I was in high school the kid next door had a Doberman who would fetch golf balls. He'd hit wedge shots from the empty lot between his house and ours into the edge of the woods across the street.

Of course he hit balls faster than the dog could shag them so the dog just kept shuttling back and forth bringing back the first ball he saw. Then the kid would go get the rest when he was ready to quit.

Great workout for the dog, that...

Also tagged with dog, retriever, ball

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors