Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Wedding Season is Killing My Game

weddings winter holidays

32 replies to this topic

#1 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68127
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

This post is purely just to vent and hear about how others deal with life getting in the way of their game.  Feel free to share your issues that are killing your game.

So I'm at that age.  Trying to be a young professional, trying to be a "grown up", but most of all lately... wedding season. I've been in 3 weddings in the past 3 months, and I'm about to leave town for yet another engagement party. It never ends.  Not to mention I already lose a good amount of golf time because I'm balancing a long distance relationship.  On top of that, it gets dark at 5 or 5:30 now, and I'm at work till at least 6 or 7 every day.

I feel like I have completely missed the good Texas playing weather.  It's already cold here in Dallas, not really cold, still nice. But the colder weather is coming quick, and I will be traveling again for thanksgiving next week.   With all these weddings and mini-trips, I've only been able to get out to the driving range once every other week, and on the course once a month if I'm lucky.  This is obviously killing my game.  And I mean KILLING it.  Last time I was at the range I felt like I had never golfed in my life. I also hate seeing my monthly PDP fee's just go to waste.  When I go to hit my first bucket of balls on say the 18th or 19th of the month thinking "this was a $20 bucket of balls.  I HAVE to get out here more".

How do others scratch the itch when life keeps getting in the way? I know the only way to keep getting better and enjoying the game is getting out and hitting balls and playing.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MizzyMan

MizzyMan

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62891
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

I live in Dallas too. Don't worry, this phase will pass (weddings and such), and soon you'll have all the time you need. And as bad as the heat/humidity is in the summer, at least we can play year round here. Some of the best times I've had playing were in the winter, 55-65 degree days in January and Feb.

#3 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 522

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

You're risking a strongly worded reply from one of our Canadian WRXers for all this talk about the "colder weather" being on it's way to Dallas :-).

#4 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4491

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

View PostChief Illiniwek, on 17 November 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

You're risking a strongly worded reply from one of our Canadian WRXers for all this talk about the "colder weather" being on it's way to Dallas :-).

I live in Montreal....MONTREAL! And people get married here too you know! I went to like 5 weddings this year including my brothers which i had to travel for. Our season is April to early November, but April and anything after mid October is basically silly season. Aerated greens, 6 degree weather with wind. 5 irons that go 150yds. In April it takes most of the month just to get your touch around the greens back. So i hate even missing one weekend. Fortunately my wife is pretty great about things like that and lets me play a lot. But the season is over now and i won't hit a club off grass for 5 1/2 months.

I try and play after work a couple of times a week in the summer months and every weekend. 70 rounds in a season for someone with a 9-5 job is a monumental achievement here.  I don't know many people in a similar situation better then a 0-3 handicap. The better guys are usually teachers or students, or guys who run their own business and can play every morning. I'll likely never get better then i am because there just isn't enough time to play and the short season keeps you from keeping your touch.

I'd love to live in Dallas! (seriously i would, but i'd weigh 300lbs). I was there last March for a couple of weeks and i think Dickey's needed to take out a restraining order on me by the end of it LOL
Tom Wishon 919 --9.25* at 44.25 inch
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 hybrid/ PXv
Ping G15 Hybrid w/C Taper
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Ping Eye2 XG 56 and 60 w/KBS Tour
Ping IWI Craze

#5 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• 11,579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 2387

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

View Postdisplayname, on 17 November 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

This post is purely just to vent and hear about how others deal with life getting in the way of their game.  Feel free to share your issues that are killing your game.

So I'm at that age.  Trying to be a young professional, trying to be a "grown up", but most of all lately... wedding season. I've been in 3 weddings in the past 3 months, and I'm about to leave town for yet another engagement party. It never ends.  Not to mention I already lose a good amount of golf time because I'm balancing a long distance relationship.  On top of that, it gets dark at 5 or 5:30 now, and I'm at work till at least 6 or 7 every day.

I feel like I have completely missed the good Texas playing weather.  It's already cold here in Dallas, not really cold, still nice. But the colder weather is coming quick, and I will be traveling again for thanksgiving next week.   With all these weddings and mini-trips, I've only been able to get out to the driving range once every other week, and on the course once a month if I'm lucky.  This is obviously killing my game.  And I mean KILLING it.  Last time I was at the range I felt like I had never golfed in my life. I also hate seeing my monthly PDP fee's just go to waste.  When I go to hit my first bucket of balls on say the 18th or 19th of the month thinking "this was a $20 bucket of balls.  I HAVE to get out here more".

How do others scratch the itch when life keeps getting in the way? I know the only way to keep getting better and enjoying the game is getting out and hitting balls and playing.

If you are going to that many weddings then it is time to cut down on the friends. That stuff gets expensive. lol

Seriously, welcome to adult life. You are learning that sometimes (unfortunately) you have to be a little selfish with your time or else you miss out. Learn how to say "no." That said, I can't imagine you have so many friends getting married all at once, year to year? Things will have to look better after this dirge of weddings gets done.

Btw, you are WAY too far south to be talking about cold. js

PING Anser 10.5/Ahina 73x
PING G15 15.5, 18.5/PX Black 6.5
Mizuno Mp 53 3-pw/DG s300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Wilson Fg Tour X
WITB Link

#6 MizzyMan

MizzyMan

Major Winner

• 1,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62891
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 17 November 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

I'd love to live in Dallas! (seriously i would, but i'd weigh 300lbs). I was there last March for a couple of weeks and i think Dickey's needed to take out a restraining order on me by the end of it LOL
Love me some Dickey's...

Edit: that doesn't sound right at all! Dickey's BBQ

Edited by MizzyMan, 17 November 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#7 freddyottawa

freddyottawa

Major Winner

• 2,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147865
  • Handicap:36
GolfWRX Likes : 359

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

I'm with Jeff, you don't know how lucky you are that you have golf season all year round. It's the same thing every year here for me. My game comes around to where i'm playing great golf.....and then it snows, season done. It sucks trying to find your short game every April.
JPX 825 Driver/3w
Anser 17* Hybrid
H4 3, 4 iron
CMB 5-PW
T4 52/58
Versa #7

#8 1puttwoods

1puttwoods

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101203
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Here's what you should do......Quit your job, lose the girlfriend or boyfriend, dismiss all your friends, and move to Miami.  Get a night job as a bartender at a Club.  Work from 7 pm to 3 am.  Go home after work and sleep until noon then go practice or play until you have to go to work again.  It's pretty simple.  Or just be a "grown up" and deal with the choices you've made with your life.  If you want to play more golf and practice more why didn't you choose a different career path?  If you are so consumed with the game why don't you politely decline going to a friends wedding.  If your complaining how about being in a "long distance relationship" cuts into your golf time you need to significantly rethink your life goals.  I'm pretty sure these are the questions you need to ask yourself not strangers on a golf forum.

#9 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 17,301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 3885

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Consider yourself lucky...at my age I now attend a lot more funerals than weddings.

#10 Senna

Senna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208351
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Its the weather that gets in the way in Ireland, this last two months its pouring rain 6 days of the week and if you are working on the one day it doesn't, then no golf for another week.
My course has got so bad that from now till next march/april you cant hit a ball off the grass, you have to place a mat under the ball and hit off the mat.  Seriously considering joining a link course so at least its playable all year round.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 flip flappy

flip flappy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137925
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

I understand your rant. Since having a family, my hobby time has been reduced tremendously. Thank goodness I am self employed and can get a little mid week golf in. I used to work for my brother when I was into hunting more. It was a killer if something came up on the weekend. Hopefully your friends will the marrying thing over with soon!
Titleist 910 D2 10.5
Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
JPX 800's
Mizuno MP T11 56 &60
Scotty Cameron  Del Mar

#12 kekoa

kekoa

Hall of Fame

• 5,962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 351

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Op, make sure u never have kids lol!!

#13 hef63303

hef63303

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9365
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Just say no.

#14 npham

npham

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207159
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Our season is April to early November, but April and anything after mid October is basically silly season.

LOL, "early November.." Our season ended Oct 15 or 16th because of a huge snow fall. I wish I could have played in early Nov.
Titleist 913 D2 AD DI 7X tipped 1"
Titleist 913 FD D+ X Flex
Titleist 913 HD D+ X Flex
Mizuno MP-53 PW-4i KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist SM4 52/56/60 KBS Wedge Shafts S
Scotty Cameron Del Mar

#15 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

View Postnpham, on 17 November 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

Our season is April to early November, but April and anything after mid October is basically silly season.

LOL, "early November.." Our season ended Oct 15 or 16th because of a huge snow fall. I wish I could have played in early Nov.

anyone who lives in Alberta shouldn't even bother playing golf. You guys should get together and start snowandwindWRX.com

Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Ping IWI Craze

#16 Rockminer

Rockminer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123965
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Op I think it will get better for you, in the future. The biggest problem I see, this time of year, is people loosing their minds at having to go to a wedding, when their favorite football team is playing. I mean dang, can't you just get married some time other than football season?  :)

#17 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136468
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I would think that Wedding season would help your game. Maybe you need a new approach.  We're talking about drunken hookups with desperate women, right?

#18 Mountaineer

Mountaineer

APP-UH-LA-CHUN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203205
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

You've probably already thought of it, but If they're in your area, consider giving indoor ranges/simulators a shot? May not be the real deal, but you can play anytime of day and weather is no longer a factor. I would think most places would have reasonable hours to at least 8pm or 9pm, so you might be able to swing by after work?

#19 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 668

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Are you partying and sleeping in on these wedding weekends?  If you travel with clubs, you should have no issue sneaking in a round or range time on the morning of the wedding or the morning after.  You'll just have to behave yourself at night so you can pull it off.

#20 memphishorn

memphishorn

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10524
  • Ebay ID:memphishorn
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Do what I did May. Go to wedding out of town, take your clubs, play a strange course and have your 1st Hole in One!

Titleist 910 D2 Kali Stiff
Exotics CB2 15* YS6 Stiff
Bobby Jones H3 21* Hybrid
Titleist AP1 4-GW S300HL
Vokey Wedges 56.11 / 60.04 oil can
Scotty Cameron Newport Classic Gun Blue

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1249

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Nail some bridesmaids and you won't be worrying about your game.
Tour Issue SLDR 430 9w/ Oban Devotion 8
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54M and 60M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#22 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

View Poststage1350, on 18 November 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Nail some bridesmaids and you won't be worrying about your game.

My wife was out of town for a month this summer, and one night as i'm playing after work with someone i'd call a casual acquaintance, he makes a reference to how easy it would be to cheat on her while she was gone (not sure if he was kidding). I told him with absolute honesty: When would i have time to cheat? I'm here every night!

frankly i'd rather play golf....LOL, maybe that's sad
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Ping IWI Craze

#23 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68127
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for all the responses everyone.  I was actually able to take my clubs and sneak 9 holes in on this trip.  That will defiantly be happening more frequently.  As for the job, it's paying the bills and student loans, but I am always keeping an eye out for things that might be more flexible. And I know, Dallas really doesn't get that cold, and even when it does it seems to be in short burst more then anything.  

I'm glad other people have had this issue though.  If only we could put life on pause and focus on the fun things!

#24 hammy1983

hammy1983

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114916
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Any thought of me having another wedding causes nervousness and anxiety in my shot routine and usually leads to a bad round so I agree... its killing my game.

#25 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 590

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

View PostSean2, on 17 November 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

Consider yourself lucky...at my age I now attend a lot more funerals than weddings.

I agree Sean, funeral season is much more detrimental to one's golf game. You can't skip a person's funeral otherwise they will never come to yours.

#26 Gutz_it

Gutz_it

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136897
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

I just started a new relationship and its severely hampering my golf time
I was playing every arvo and comps on Saturday and Sunday
Now I'm having to pick a day to play on the weekend and my afternoons are just not as free as I would like
I've got birthdays, BBQ's and parties (all her frienda) she wants me to attend

It's not easy balancing this as I thought
My last gf was long distance so it was no problem at all

Not sure if I actually have a point to this post
But feels good to get it off my chest

#27 PhilsFanDrew

PhilsFanDrew

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134254
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm of similar age and know what you are going through.  My advice is only go to the wedding ceremonies of real close friends and family members and just the receptions for college friends.  Just spring for a nice gift and they won't care.   Get out early in the morning then you have time to come home and get ready for the reception and get your drink on.

#28 bulldurham

bulldurham

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141141
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

At least you don't have to balance a short-distance relationship! :P
Titleist 910D3 Fujikura Fuel 60X
Titleist 913F Fujikura Speeder VC 8.0X
Titleist 909H 19 Aldila NV 105S
Titleist 670 DG X100
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Fourteen MT28V5 54, 58 DG S400

#29 HackerVance

HackerVance

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151241
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

It's especially detrimental to your game if it's your own wedding or funeral.

#30 mantan

mantan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6970
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostMizzyMan, on 17 November 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

I live in Dallas too. Don't worry, this phase will pass (weddings and such), and soon you'll have all the time you need. And as bad as the heat/humidity is in the summer, at least we can play year round here. Some of the best times I've had playing were in the winter, 55-65 degree days in January and Feb.

I agree about winter golf here.   It's actually my favorite season to play.   The temps are great in the spring, but the wind is usually blowing 25-35mph.   Summers are nice, but the heat can be a beating.  The weather is perfect in the fall, but the courses are packed.   But in the winter you get a lot of 50-60* calm sunny days where a lot of casual golfers feel it's too cold to play.  The courses are empty and the rates are low.  I love knocking off a weekday afternoon to play during the winter.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Also tagged with weddings, winter, holidays

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors