Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Carry bag with Pencil Holder - Help?

Carry Pencil Holder

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lordnorth

lordnorth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211653
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

My old Ogio Grom is about done for.  I purchased a new Grom XX figuring it would be pretty much the same as my old one.  Not even close.

They got rid of the pencil holder and the pockets are so deep that you have to reach in practically to your elbow to find anything -- essentially making it useless to me as a carry bag.

I am not hung up on a brand, but can ANYONE suggest a bag that actually has a pencil holder located next to the scorecard pocket?

It just blows my mind that that Ogio would have removed a feature that is used so much, costs next to nothing to include, and adds absolutely no weight to the bag.  Were these things designed by anyone who has ever actually walked 18 holes while carrying?

Thanks for your help!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1824

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

My last years model ping 4 under had one. I don't know If the new ones do. I have a  $5 score card holder that fits in your back pocket and it holds both pencil and card. Works great.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#3 propman

propman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183580
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Just purchased a Callaway warbird xtreme bag which a pencil holder. However, cannot locate the scorecard holder.

#4 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Button Yardage Book Covers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 720

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Use a scorecard/yardage-book cover. It holds your pencil and your scorecard right in your back pocket.

#5 lordnorth

lordnorth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Yeah, don't like to keep it in the back pocket.  My shorts all have velcro, so to open the pocket, write, then put it back in while walking with the bag on your back is just too hard.

Looking for something with a card holder and a pencil holder.

I will take a look at the Ping, Big K.  Thanks for the help, please keep suggestions coming!

#6 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• 4,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 729

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Ping Pioneer has two pencil holders.  Why, I don't know?  Maybe they think we suck so bad we need two pencils to write down all the numbers. : )  But seriously, your main concern in a bag is where to put the pencil and the scorecard??!!!??

p.s. Welcome to WRX.  Lots of information here and some good natured (most of the time) humour if the post warrants it.
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#7 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Button Yardage Book Covers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 720

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostSocrates, on 17 November 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Ping Pioneer has two pencil holders.  Why, I don't know?  Maybe they think we suck so bad we need two pencils to write down all the numbers. : )  But seriously, your main concern in a bag is where to put the pencil and the scorecard??!!!??

p.s. Welcome to WRX.  Lots of information here and some good natured (most of the time) humour if the post warrants it.
Two holders for your pencil and your Sharpie (ball marker)

#8 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• 4,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 729

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Further to why they would take items off a carry bag.  From Ogio's point of view, you are trying to bring the bag in a certain wholesale and retail price.  All these little things add cost and even something like a pencil holder is a cost (around $.50 -$1.00) and if you need to hit a certain landed cost, you need to cut things out.  You start with items that don't detract from the main function of the bag and is quite often not used by most golfers.  More than likely, they needed to hit a wholesale cost for a major purchaser (i.e. Dicks) and they might be committing to 5000 bags if you meet that price and you are only a $1 away.  That pencil holder is gone faster than you can hit SAVE on the CAD program.
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg - D3
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
Vokey SM2 52, Rotex 56-16 & 60-14

#9 lordnorth

lordnorth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

View PostSocrates, on 17 November 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

But seriously, your main concern in a bag is where to put the pencil and the scorecard??!!!??

You know, sad as it is... Yes.  I played two rounds with the new Grom XX and had no idea what to do with the pencil.  Tried to wedge it into the bag somewhere -- lost two pencils in three holes, put it in a bag pocket - couldn't get it back out without taking off the bag and digging for it.  Tried to carry it in my pocket and it wrote all over the inside and nearly stabbed me in the.... well anyway.  Ended up the best I could do was tuck it into the back of my hat, but it still fell out if I took off the hat to wipe my forehead.

I know, it seems so ridiculously stupid that my number one priority in a carry bag is having a pencil holder, but it is.  I know what you mean about cost, but at the same time, they add a divit tool holder and a marking pen holder.  I take the divit tool out on the first tee and put it back in after the round.  The pen gets used every three to four rounds when I mark a new sleeve of balls.  They add those, but get rid of the pencil holder?

I supposed if it came to it, I could use some fabric glue and make my own pencil pocket, but I just feel like I shouldn't HAVE to.

I think I found a New Old Stock Grom on Ebay -- back from when they had all the features I like.  If I can't find any other bags, I will probably just end up getting one of those.

#10 brew4eagle

brew4eagle

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12175
  • Ebay ID:jdbrewer
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

The 2012 Sun Mountain Three 5 has a pencil holder next to the Sharpie holder, both of which are accessible while the bag is on your back.  While it doesn't have a dedicated score card holder, the pocket that is accessible (near the water bottle holder) would be the logical place to put the score card.  Best bag I've ever had, loving the X-Strap (first time using the X-Strap instead of the Sun Mountain/Titliest EZ-Fit strap system).

Ping i20 10.5*
Adams Speedline LP 15*
Adams a7 19*
Cleveland TA5 3-P
Cleveland RTX CB 50*, 56*
Odyssey WHP 3 (Bridgestone e6)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors