Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Can someone tell me what's wrong?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MatthewNGolf

MatthewNGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187260
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

To start- I'm 18 years old, a highly competitive tournament golfer, in decent shape, and am quite strong. I am 5'9" and 237 pounds. I have close to 60" shoulders and a 38" waist.(this will make sense in a second)

I am always, constantly, 24/7 365 days of the year in PAIN. Always. I am in constant pain. Not a pain spasm like fibromyalgaia. I've had several injuries in the past. Ill outline them here.

Broke my right wrist in 8th grade.

Attained minor tears on the acl, mcl, and meniscus in my right leg. (Doctor said something like 10% on each)

Dislocated my left ring finger and tore several tendons and ligaments in my left arm and hand.

Tore three muscles in my back(or perhaps three parts of one or two muscles? Can't remember what the doctor said. This was sophomore year.)

Broke my tailbone.

Tore a nerve in my neck.

Dislocated my right knee.(in kindergarten )

Fractured my right shin

Fractured both elbows

Dropped a 90 lb dumb bell on my jaw because I wasn't paying attention. Didn't injure me but it hurts sometimes.

Tore a quad. Right leg

I also have very little cartilage in my knees.

All those things I just mentioned? Yeah. They always hurt. Not at the same tine, but daily, a few of them hurt. The next day, a different few things will hurt. Some hurt badly enough I don't want to move them.

My question is why isn't my body healing? Why do these things still hurt?

Edited by MatthewNGolf, 17 November 2012 - 05:55 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Damo75

Damo75

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10531
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

Some of those injuries won't heal and will always be sore but you'll get used to it. Ice helps.

You should also try and lose some weight if you can.  I'm 6'3 and about 230 (though I'm quite a bit older) so I have some idea what you're going through.  It's tough for bigger guys, but my doctor told me years ago that even if you're fit and healthy, once you get over 100kg (about 220) you're putting a lot of extra stress on your knees and ankles so it certainly helps to keep your weight down as much as possible.

Some of those other injuries should heal though and not cause you any problems, particularly broken bones.  You're better off asking a doctor or physiotherapist than people on a golf forum.

Good luck.

Edited by Damo75, 17 November 2012 - 06:41 AM.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5 - Diamana D+ 82X
Cobra AMP Cell 3/4 - Fujikura Fuel S
Adams A4 Tour 3-W - DG X100
Cleveland 588 RTX 52/56 - Wedge flex
Bridgestone WC Prototype 60 - S300
Ping Ug-Le

#3 MatthewNGolf

MatthewNGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

I'm currently losing weight. I was 250 in August. My overall goal is 210. I go to the doctor quite often haha. He doesn't know why I'm in pain either. Psychological maybe? Could my brain be thinking that since it used to hurt its supposed to keep hurting?

#4 dbleag

dbleag

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11778
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

That's why the Martini was invented.    Kidding :)

#5 profsmitty

profsmitty

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20611

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

There are many, many possibilities. There are also many, many doctors. I would talk to my parents about finding another physician to evaluate you. I would try to find one who specializes in sports and athletes. She or he might be able to suggest things you can do (or not do) to both prevent future injuries or treat the ones you already have. Did you know there are physicians that specialize in treating pain issues. Your physician may refer you to one.

Any thorough evaluation of your situation must include an evaluation of your non-physical health. Please don't rule out or be embarrassed by the possibility that some of your pain may not be caused by physical factors. Pain caused by our minds can be just as real as the pain caused by a broken finger or a pulled muscle.

You sound like a young person who loves athletics. I suspect that anyone who expresses themselves as well as you do also loves to read. Here is a reading assignment. Start with a couple of very short articles on the internet:

http://msn.foxsports...on-issue-090211
http://hardnews.ansc...4_athletes.html

This is a topic that appeared in Golfwrx earlier this year:

http://www.golfwrx.c...hl__ depression

And finally, try to find this classic book about an athlete who struggled with non-physical problems that threatened a great career and how he was able to overcome them. You should be able to find it in your school library:

http://www.amazon.co...=jimmy piersall

Good luck my young friend. You have only begun to scratch the surface of the resources available to you. Don't give up.

#6 Soloman

Soloman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184060
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

You're still about 70 lbs. overweight. Lose that weight next year and I suspect some of your pains will go away.

Go pick up something that weighs 70 lbs. and carry it around for a while. Feel how much extra weight your body is carrying around.

#7 MizzyMan

MizzyMan

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62891
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Like others have said, losing weight (more than just down to 210) will help. Ask any ex-NFL'er, the ones who've kept a lot of their weight off feel much better. A lot less stress on their body.

But, dude, I gotta ask, are you just unlucky or really clumsy? You've had more injuries than a whole football team and you're only 18? Sorry if insensitive.

Edited by profsmitty, 17 November 2012 - 04:42 PM.
Profanity

#8 MatthewNGolf

MatthewNGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

View PostSoloman, on 17 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

You're still about 70 lbs. overweight. Lose that weight next year and I suspect some of your pains will go away.

Go pick up something that weighs 70 lbs. and carry it around for a while. Feel how much extra weight your body is carrying around.

Uh, I disagree about the seventy pound thing. I've had numerous personal trainers and doctors tell me that the lowest I should weigh is 210. Do you know how wide a person with near 60" shoulders is? I don't even have a gut at 237 anymore. You make it sound as if I'm obese lol. I'm probably more athletic than 80% of the people on this board. Its not like I'm wearing XL shirts and pants over a 40. I hope my reply doesn't sound too self defensive, but I've had too many professionals tell me that 210 is the lowest I can weigh and remain healthy.

Edited by MatthewNGolf, 18 November 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#9 MatthewNGolf

MatthewNGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostMizzyMan, on 17 November 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

Like others have said, losing weight (more than just down to 210) will help. Ask any ex-NFL'er, the ones who've kept a lot of their weight off feel much better. A lot less stress on their body.

But, dude, I gotta ask, are you just unlucky or really clumsy? You've had more injuries than a whole football team and you're only 18? Sorry if insensitive.

Its a fair question haha. I did martial arts and mma training for a few years. That was a lot of it. The acl, mcl, and meniscus was from having my knee stepped through during basketball. Tailbone was from falling. Finger dislocation was from football. Jaw was from trying to do too many reps with 90lb dumbbells. Tendon tears in my left arm were from a fight. Right wrist breaking was also a fight.

#10 bmellisen

bmellisen

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131750
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostMatthewNGolf, on 18 November 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

View PostSoloman, on 17 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Uh, I disagree about the seventy pound thing. I've had numerous personal trainers and doctors tell me that the lowest I should weigh is 210. Do you know how wide a person with near 60" shoulders is? I don't even have a gut at 237 anymore. You make it sound as if I'm obese lol. I'm probably more athletic than 80% of the people on this board. Its not like I'm wearing XL shirts and pants over a 40. I hope my reply doesn't sound too self defensive, but I've had too many professionals tell me that 210 is the lowest I can weigh and remain healthy.

I am not going to argue about how much weight you should lose.  And good job on losing some weight already. And I am having a hard time picturing 60in shoulders. But I do know how tall 5'9" is.  And I know how much 230lbs is, because I have been there. The difference is I am 6'5". So my advice is work to get down to 210, and reevaluate if you should lose some more.

I tell you this because my best friend, who is the strongest guy I know, was always 6', 230ish. Got up to about 280 after his seperation.  Barrel chested and strong.  He thought he could never get down below 220. He said he couldn't run because it hurt to do so.  He got down to 210 through eating healthy, started to run because it hurt less, and is now at 195 and running 25-30 miles a week. Still has the barrel chest.  But he thought he was always just going to be a big guy, and now he isn't.

And go see a sports medicine doctor. Put the work in now because it gets even harder the older you get.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors