Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I really do not understand iron shafts can someone please help me???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 7464

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30969
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Okay here is where my confusion lies as follows:  I am 53 years old and an 8 handicap...I am 6'4 and about 210lbs (in pretty good shape for my age)...I also play close to standard lie and standard length as I have long arms and my swing is kind of like Lee Westwoods (for lack of a better explanation) and I like to stay very stacked over the ball through out my swing...okay enough about me and on to my shaft issue.

Over the last two years I pretty much have played KBS Tour, stiff shafts in every iron I have played...well recently I have been losing some disctance so I recently bought as set of i20 irons with CFS, stiff shafts...I had heard these clubs are long and I figured with the CFS (lighter) shaft I could maybe get a few yards back in my game...well I have been averaging around 150-155 yards with my 7 iron...the CFS shafts feel very good but I will admit they feel a tad light to me through out the swing and I have been thinking about going back to KBS Tour but did not want to loose yardage???

So today I go into EW and I see a set of AP2 710's with KBS Tour, stiff that someone had traded in and I am swinging the 7 iron in the simulator and I am hitting it 150-155 on the average...so I grab a 7 iron i20 (CFS) and same thing...so just for the heck of it I decide to hit the new Anser irons...but they only have it with a Project X 6.0...I think what the heck...well I did not hit one less than 162 yards and actually crushed a few over 170...WTF???

How in the heck could I be hitting a stiffer and heavier shaft farther than the others I mentioned above...I am totally confused about what shafts I need to play????  HELP ME...

P.S. Ball flight (height) was very common using all three shafts.

Edited by KoKo2, 16 November 2012 - 02:13 PM.

Callaway / X Hot / 3W / PXv Pro / 44in
Callaway / Apex / 3-SW / UST Recoil F4
Odyssey / Versa #1 Wide / 35in
Callaway / Hex Chrome

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2667

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Less spin.
Bridgestone j40 (430) 8.5/DVS 70x
Bridgestone j40 14/Accra 85x
Mizuno Mp 650 19, 22/Vs Proto 95x
Mizuno Mp 53 4-pw/PX Satin Proto 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
WITB Link

#3 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 17,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4175

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

I' m a little taller, same weight, and a few years older. I always played lighter shafts. I found out recently that a stiffer, heavier shaft gives me more distance, not that I crush it, but more distance.

I'm fairly certain that the PX 6.0 is both stiffer and heavier than what you are currently playing.

#4 DaveMac

DaveMac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27975
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Your assumption of lighter, faster, more distance is not universally true.

The shaft is responsible for transferring energy from the golfer to the ball. The hard part is in correctly matching the shaft to the golfer in order to maximise this energy transfer.

Matching includes:
  • Shaft weight matched to swing tempo
  • Tip stiffness to matched to release point
  • Butt strength matched to transition
  • Overall shaft stiffness matching club head speed generated

Based on your observations your swing has a quick tempo with a brisk transition and a late release.

There is a lot of good information on this subject; use the search option and check out posts on shaft bend profiles and shaft matching.

#5 Tingting

Tingting

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1596
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

simulation versus outdoor results in different data   for apple to apple comparison it should be done outdoors if u want to compare your pings

#6 7464

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30969
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

I appreciate all the feedback...well my club guy called me and said someone traded in a set of Callaway Razr X Forged with Project X 6.0 shafts...we were able to get very close on an even trade and I am off today to start playing these clubs/shafts on the golf course.

I tend to agree with "Tingting" in that results on the golf course can be different and of course they should be the most important...I hope these shafts work for me...I will report back in a couple of weeks with my thoughts.

:smilie_cally:
Callaway / X Hot / 3W / PXv Pro / 44in
Callaway / Apex / 3-SW / UST Recoil F4
Odyssey / Versa #1 Wide / 35in
Callaway / Hex Chrome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors