Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is Rory a limited player?

49 replies to this topic

#31 hogans71

hogans71

Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45116
GolfWRX Likes : 1189

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

While I somewhat understand the op's point, I can't help but find it humorous.

We are talking about the no.1 player- ON THE PLANET...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 17,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4075

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

No, he's not limited. But it does beg the question, if Rory IS limited what does that mean for the rest of us?
Callaway Big Bertha 9.5
Callaway X2 Hot 14.5 / 17 / 21
TaylorMade Tour Preferred MBs 4-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52 / 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Dual Balance

#33 Kylekoz17

Kylekoz17

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204917
  • Ebay ID:Snipperdo17
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Can't wait for the threads next year when he plays bad one tournament and misses the cut and everyone blames the nike clubs lol
Bio Cell + - D+ 72x
Nike VR Pro Ltd - Matrix Ozik 70x
Titleist 910h 19* - Matrix Ozik Altus
714 AP2 4-pw X100
Nike Method Mod 00
Nike VR Forged 51, 56

#34 irlgolf56

irlgolf56

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149169
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

+1 on the Honda win

Before the final round there when he was in contention (or possibly even leading, I can't remember which) people were saying the wind was going to be a huge factor. It was blowing hard and plenty of people said he just can't play in those conditions, but he won comfortably in the end.

He's not as good in the wind as he is in perfect conditions, but not many are.

And on the missed cuts, Tiger was a machine, physically and mentally. McIlroy is more "normal" mentally. You need guts to play some of the shots he plays under pressure, but he isn't superhuman like Tiger, so he will miss cuts and lose concentration during a season.

#35 Gupps01

Gupps01

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97367
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostShankieboink, on 16 November 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Windy conditions is definitly not one of Rorys strongest sides (not saying he's weak). I think it's an experience thing (many old players that handle it better).. Many "good weather" players that sometimes can crush the course in good weather, plain suck in bad weather. Just look at some of the guys who has shoot record scores, None of them can play in windy conditions.

Goydos (59), Appleby (59), Karlsson (36 hole record)

Appleby certainly can play in the wind. He's played that much golf in Melbourne where it's a requirement to be able flight the ball different ways. He just is not a great putter.

#36 Shankieboink

Shankieboink

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130733
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostGupps01, on 16 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

Windy conditions is definitly not one of Rorys strongest sides (not saying he's weak). I think it's an experience thing (many old players that handle it better).. Many "good weather" players that sometimes can crush the course in good weather, plain suck in bad weather. Just look at some of the guys who has shoot record scores, None of them can play in windy conditions.

Appleby certainly can play in the wind. He's played that much golf in Melbourne where it's a requirement to be able flight the ball different ways. He just is not a great putter.

Yeah, Appleby perhaps shouldn't be on that list. He has a T2 in B.O from 2002.

#37 practicetee

practicetee

In the Galaxy....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27080
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

View PostRistlager, on 16 November 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Yes, he is nr 1 in the world and he also is my favourite player (tied with Tiger). But it seems he needs perfect conditions in order to perform. Everytime the wind turns up, he misses cuts (like today) or shoots himself out of contention. It seems he isn't able to change his shots to suit the conditions. And his stock high draw gets him in all sorts of trouble when the wind blows up. He even said after the Open last year, that he didn't want to change his game for one turnament.

I can't remember that he has been in contention in any turnaments with wind. So is he limited or is my memory very fuzzy, and he actually has been good in windy weather?

I thought Rory blew the field away at the PGA Championship at Kiawah in pretty crazy conditions, no?
Nike Covert Performance, Tour AD BB

#38 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4637

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

View Posthogans71, on 16 November 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

While I somewhat understand the op's point, I can't help but find it humorous.

We are talking about the no.1 player- ON THE PLANET...

Pretty much my sentiments, i know what the OP means. Rory seems to be at his best when he can hit moonball draws on every shot. He's still the #1 player in the world, which is of course probably why we are dissecting him to this degree.

But remember even he said came over here partially because the courses suit him better, which lends a little credence to the fact that he does have a style of game he prefers to play
Cobra Amp Cell 8.5 w/Fujikura Fuel
Cobra Amp Cell 13 w/Fujikura Fuel
Callaway X hot pro Hybrid 16/ PXv
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#39 iBanesto

iBanesto

Niclas Fasth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Tiger's Open wins have all been in calm conditions.

#40 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • 12,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2314

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Rory McIlimited
Rory McIltd.

Not really sure about either of those

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 1889

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Rory is a brutal ballstriker. And he has been showing some fine touch around the greens.

He knows he can hit it as high and far as anyone and this is a good thing.

But he is not a great putter.

So there is the "limitation".

For now anyway.

#42 bunter101

bunter101

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47370
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Rory shot the Portrush course record in windy conditions!
He didn't dig deep enough at St Andrews in 2010 on the Friday, otherwise he would have a Claret jug as well.
As worldly wise as he is now, I think he's still a wee bit immature and if things aren't going his way he goes into a huff with himself.

Oh and i'd add no matter what, he needs to stop running after Woz all around the world. That thumb print of hers on the top of his head will make him bald prematurely!

#43 neilc

neilc

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13139
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

View PostGupps01, on 16 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

Rory grew up in Northern Ireland where its at least as windy as Melbourne not to mention 10-15 degrees cooler.

he shot 62 at Royal Portrush when he was 16.

He can play in the wind for sure but his  high draws work better when its  not too windy and reasonably soft.

I grew up in NE Scotland where the high shot,particulary the high fade is known as the "fosbury" as in Fosbury flop(  high jump.)

#44 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1394

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

We can all agree Rory is the less limited player right now, cause only Chuck Norris is unlimited.

#45 Nerra

Nerra

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130224
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

His inability to play in windy conditions has been a marketing stunt from day one. Why do you think Nike are paying him so much, as soon as he starts gaming the Nike clubs he will magically be able to play well in the wind. Let's not forget the conditions he learned to play in.

#46 Slackattack

Slackattack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30992
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

He's won the US Open and PGA Championship by 8 strokes.  He's also proven he has the capability to win a British Open (2010) and Augusta (2011).  He's already talking about winning the career grand slam, and I think most would be surprised if he never reached that goal. So....if he has the ability to win the career grand slam....what more does he need to do? He hits the ball extremely high and long.  Wasn't this the recipe that Jack used to win 18 majors?

I believe that the the only thing that will limit Rory is himself.  He's stated on more than one occasion that there is more to life than golf, so I think that is why you sometimes see him miss a cut.  I don't believe its the end of the world for him if he misses a cut.  That type of mentality could actually be a good thing, because he's probably less likely to get burned out in the long run.  The potentially bad thing however is when he gets into his mid-30's, will he have the desire to grind and win majors when it's not as easy as it used to be?

#47 Gone Right

Gone Right

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168139
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Every player on tour has conditions and courses he favours, even Tiger.  Thats why scheduling is so important, and it seems to be an area that RM will concentrate on next year.  If he gets it right his win ratio should improve, but I can't ever see him getting near Tigers regular tournament record, simply because he doesn't have his unbelievable drive.  

With all the talk about how long and high Rory hits the ball, its his Sunday short game that in my opinion that separates him from the others.  When Tiger at the Honda, and Poulter at the PGA, started making runs Rory continually got up and down under huge pressure.  Everyone remembers Rory winning the PGA by 8, but Poulter got within 2 by the 9th, and at that stage it looked like he had a real chance, but Rory slammed the door on him using an impeccable short game, picking up a string of birdies and never looking like dropping a shot.  Poulter had to force it and he dropped shots as a result.

#48 ej002

ej002

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27552
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostSlackattack, on 19 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

He's won the US Open and PGA Championship by 8 strokes.  He's also proven he has the capability to win a British Open (2010) and Augusta (2011). He's already talking about winning the career grand slam, and I think most would be surprised if he never reached that goal. So....if he has the ability to win the career grand slam....what more does he need to do? He hits the ball extremely high and long.  Wasn't this the recipe that Jack used to win 18 majors?

I believe that the the only thing that will limit Rory is himself.  He's stated on more than one occasion that there is more to life than golf, so I think that is why you sometimes see him miss a cut.  I don't believe its the end of the world for him if he misses a cut.  That type of mentality could actually be a good thing, because he's probably less likely to get burned out in the long run.  The potentially bad thing however is when he gets into his mid-30's, will he have the desire to grind and win majors when it's not as easy as it used to be?

He did?  I must have been dreaming when he puked all over himself.

#49 irlgolf56

irlgolf56

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149169
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

View Postej002, on 19 November 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

View PostSlackattack, on 19 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

He's won the US Open and PGA Championship by 8 strokes.  He's also proven he has the capability to win a British Open (2010) and Augusta (2011). He's already talking about winning the career grand slam, and I think most would be surprised if he never reached that goal. So....if he has the ability to win the career grand slam....what more does he need to do? He hits the ball extremely high and long.  Wasn't this the recipe that Jack used to win 18 majors?

He did?  I must have been dreaming when he puked all over himself.

The Masters one is the most relevant, the fact he has shown he has the ability to absolutely tear that course apart would suggest he will at least be in contention there several times in the future, and he clearly has the capability to win it, that's not necessarily saying he will.

And if you shoot the lowest-ever first round score in the 150-year history of the Open Championship (wikipedia) you will probably have a few opportunities at that tournament too.

#50 HouAggie

HouAggie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49212
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

View Postpracticetee, on 16 November 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

View PostRistlager, on 16 November 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Yes, he is nr 1 in the world and he also is my favourite player (tied with Tiger). But it seems he needs perfect conditions in order to perform. Everytime the wind turns up, he misses cuts (like today) or shoots himself out of contention. It seems he isn't able to change his shots to suit the conditions. And his stock high draw gets him in all sorts of trouble when the wind blows up. He even said after the Open last year, that he didn't want to change his game for one turnament.

I can't remember that he has been in contention in any turnaments with wind. So is he limited or is my memory very fuzzy, and he actually has been good in windy weather?

I thought Rory blew the field away at the PGA Championship at Kiawah in pretty crazy conditions, no?
Exactly what I was thinking.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors