Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

A wasted "talent"

56 replies to this topic

#31 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 17,599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4080

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postheavybladed, on 16 November 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

View PostSean2, on 16 November 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

Again, I always thought Mr. Daly was judged a bit too harshly. Then again, I was a counselor for kids who had severe emotional and behavioral problems in an alternative high school. Maybe I just see him a bit differently.

I saw the Feherety episode with JD. Apparently his old man used to get drunk and beat the hell out of him and his brother. Things like that often do irreparable damage to a child. It always sounded more accurate to me when deep rooted issues are referred to as demons.
I didn't know that Heavy, but it would explain a lot. It's amazing how that self-destructiveness is nothing more than a form of self-punishment (the individual may not even know he is doing it, i.e., punishing himself). That form of self-loathing is ingrained at an early age by an abusive parent(s).

Edited by Sean2, 17 November 2012 - 05:22 PM.

Callaway Big Bertha 9.5
Callaway X2 Hot 14.5 / 17 / 21
TaylorMade Tour Preferred MBs 4-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52 / 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Dual Balance

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 1puttwoods

1puttwoods

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101203
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

John Daly in my mind, is and always be a drunk, a quitter and a baby.

#33 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
GolfWRX Likes : 714

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

View Postmonkeynaut, on 17 November 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

Okay.  I think the big problem is people are looking at this wrong.

I would submit that Daly has actually  OVERACHIEVED.  He's an imbecile and a drunk who can hit a ball far and on occasion keep it in play. On rarer occasions he can maintain a modicum of focus for four days in a row.   That he has 2 Majors when so many more consistent players have none is a monumental achievement.  

I have criticized him  in the past. Perhaps my criticism was unwarranted. I think less than wasting his talents and blowing opportunities at winning, maybe we should be praising his ability to stay in the public eye for so long.
If he was a talor made driver we would be praising him for his marketing genius because we are all talking about him.

#34 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2316

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

View Post1puttwoods, on 24 November 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

I'm sure this breaks him up inside.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#35 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostVindog, on 24 November 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

I'm sure this breaks him up inside.
Sure he will never be the same if he reads this. Too bad he has never done anything in the world of golf.

#36 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 17,599 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Obviously you're a very empathetic individual.
Callaway Big Bertha 9.5

#37 Rob631

Rob631

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139362
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostBob_golf1, on 16 November 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

View PostGuia, on 16 November 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

Some people a just self destructive, they are called losers.
Yor are the loser or judging others

You are correct, he is infallible. I saw him walk on water once after hitting 34 balls into it.

#38 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,563 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostRob631, on 24 November 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

You are correct, he is infallible. I saw him walk on water once after hitting 34 balls into it.

Tell me he at least turned it into wine afterwards, right?

Edited by Vindog, 24 November 2012 - 03:52 PM.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#39 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 422

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Yes, he did walk on water!  He filled up the lake with balls so the water was only 2 inches deep

#40 1puttwoods

1puttwoods

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101203
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

View PostSean2, on 24 November 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

I'm a narcissistic person, sorry......actually I'm not....sorry that is.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 17,599 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

View Post1puttwoods, on 24 November 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

View PostSean2, on 24 November 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

I'm a narcissistic person, sorry......actually I'm not....sorry that is.
Well, a narcissist wouldn't apologize anyway. :-)

Though, I don't know what being a narcissist has to do with your previous comment about Mr. Daly.
Callaway Big Bertha 9.5

#42 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

One of the beauties of life is that we get to live our lives as we choose.  JD's choices landed him 2 majors, a lot of interesting experiences and one heck of a good time along the way.

Yes, he made bad decisions and did a lot of stupid stuff but I get really tired of these kind of threads and this mamby pamby apologistic life that the perpetual do-gooders try to impose on everyone else.

The real psychos are those that demand that JD grovel at the public's feet whenever he does something stupid in a public way.  I'd like to see more people stand up to these psychopathic authoritarians and tell them to "F - off" when they start imposing their faux outrage and apology demands.

We used to celebrate oddballs and screw ups in this country as long as they performed.  Guys like Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle who played hungover countless times and probably did a lot more crazy stuff than JD.

One reason that JD still has a huge legion of fans is because he's not one of the milquetoast, "let me give a canned PC answer to every question" automatons that litter modern society and sports.  Thanks goodness that there are still people that appreciate someone who "did it his way" even if that way was littered with bad decisions.  Two more majors than Westwood, Donald or Garcia.  So yes, in some ways he could be considered an over achiever!

#43 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

View Posthoganfan924, on 24 November 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

One of the beauties of life is that we get to live our lives as we choose.  JD's choices landed him 2 majors, a lot of interesting experiences and one heck of a good time along the way.

Yes, he made bad decisions and did a lot of stupid stuff but I get really tired of these kind of threads and this mamby pamby apologistic life that the perpetual do-gooders try to impose on everyone else.

The real psychos are those that demand that JD grovel at the public's feet whenever he does something stupid in a public way.  I'd like to see more people stand up to these psychopathic authoritarians and tell them to "F - off" when they start imposing their faux outrage and apology demands.

We used to celebrate oddballs and screw ups in this country as long as they performed.  Guys like Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle who played hungover countless times and probably did a lot more crazy stuff than JD.

One reason that JD still has a huge legion of fans is because he's not one of the milquetoast, "let me give a canned PC answer to every question" automatons that litter modern society and sports.  Thanks goodness that there are still people that appreciate someone who "did it his way" even if that way was littered with bad decisions.  Two more majors than Westwood, Donald or Garcia.  So yes, in some ways he could be considered an over achiever!
Well said!

#44 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

I'm Gonna Live Forever! But first I need to stop this bl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124830
GolfWRX Likes : 1537

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Babe and The Mick delivered significantly more than Daly.  

But if you're wanting a good baseball analogy Jose Canseco works.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW
Mizuno JPX 50*, Mizuno MPT-11 54*
Vokey SM4 60/10, Odyssey Black TD #2

#45 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 1891

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

View Postmonkeynaut, on 24 November 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

Yes, I appreciate the spirit of hogans post.

But Ruth and Mantle could

"Hold their liquor" and "be a man at night and be a man in the morning"

JD can't.

And as monkey said, numbers don't lie.

Mantle and Ruth, even with all their partying delivered the equivalent of

18 Majors a piece.

#46 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 24 November 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

View Postmonkeynaut, on 24 November 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

Yes, I appreciate the spirit of hogans post.

But Ruth and Mantle could

"Hold their liquor" and "be a man at night and be a man in the morning"

JD can't.

And as monkey said, numbers don't lie.

Mantle and Ruth, even with all their partying delivered the equivalent of

18 Majors a piece.
I think his point would be the same if JD had never won an event at all. Point was not to compare his accomplishments to Mantle and Ruth, more that they were all free spirits who lived thier lives on thier own terms, not to please those who wanted them to conduct themselves in a particular manner.

#47 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

I'm Gonna Live Forever! But first I need to stop this bl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124830
GolfWRX Likes : 1537

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

If he won it wouldn't matter how he lives his life.  But he can't hold his liquor AND win.  

Drink and play and win.  Fine.  
Don't drink and play and win.  Fine.  
Drink and play and lose?  Then people will say "The dude can't handle his drink and game.  What a waste. "

He's got talent as a golfer.  He just sucks as a boozer.
Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW
Mizuno JPX 50*, Mizuno MPT-11 54*
Vokey SM4 60/10, Odyssey Black TD #2

#48 Agent Jim

Agent Jim

Major Winner

• 2,372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130281
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 462

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

I'm just happy he hasn't killed himself. People are interested in him good, bad or indifferent; so I guess he has done something for golf. I like to see him do well.

Posted Image
Ping I25 8.5 PWR75 45.25"
Maltby KE4 ST-F 14 & 18
Maltby KE4 Tour 19 Aldila NVS 85
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Snake Eyes Forged 56/SC Cali Fastback
Callaway Supersoft Yellow
WITB Link

#49 iBanesto

iBanesto

Niclas Fasth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:33 AM

View Postdeasy55, on 17 November 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

The main difference between Daly and Janzen is that Daly has a tour card

Daly is rather fortunate to keep his card due to random invites.

With respect to Janzen, he also does have a Players Championship under his belt.

#50 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,563 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

woof...

I know a couple of folks that would be wise to keep their comedy off the road, lol

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 Garrett77

Garrett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53222
  • Ebay ID:gbgolfshop
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

View Postmonkeynaut, on 24 November 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

If he won it wouldn't matter how he lives his life.  But he can't hold his liquor AND win.  

Drink and play and lose?  Then people will say "The dude can't handle his drink and game.  What a waste. "

You do realise he has been sober for quite some time now, right?

#52 Ajit

Ajit

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97941
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostGarrett77, on 25 November 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

View Postmonkeynaut, on 24 November 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

You do realise he has been sober for quite some time now, right?

Daly obviously has a hugely addictive personality and if he's winning his battle with alcohol/gambling then that is a significant achievement in its own right. Oh, and before anyone pipes in saying millions of people stay sober all time, please go jump in a lake, thanks.

#53 STEC

STEC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138053
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I don't think he wasted his golf talent, golf has given him alot. I think he wasted his life talents. He does a lot of good and seems to be a guy's guy.

#54 Anchor44

Anchor44

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189544
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostSTEC, on 10 December 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

I don't think he wasted his golf talent, golf has given him alot. I think he wasted his life talents. He does a lot of good and seems to be a guy's guy.

"A guy's guy"
Really?

#55 Shrapnac

Shrapnac

Cinderella Story

• 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199518
  • Handicap:Beer
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Well he did quit drinking.

#56 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostShrapnac, on 13 December 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Well he did quit drinking.

Killed two birds with one stone!

#57 Flykixz23

Flykixz23

Rookie

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211105
  • Ebay ID:Flykixz23
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

People have their ups and downs and he can still play on tour levels just not rip it up and win events! As far as throwing clubs it is a pro sport that smoking cigars use to be allowed while playing...what sport have you ever seen that in before and was that good for children to see?!? Bo Jackson was an amazing athlete all around and snapped bats over his head and knees when striking out in baseball. They are men and some times tempers get the best of them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors