Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Review of your 2012 purchases...

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 mudmarlin

mudmarlin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163255
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

To counteract all the boosting of the economy you all did, all I bought was a Ping i20 hybrid.  I'm very happy with it.  I just got a 913 D3 but really that is for next year.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 jeffrey r

jeffrey r

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83556
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Great:
Wilson Staff Di11 irons, stock steel uniflex shaft--head, shaft, total package just works for me.
Cleveland Mashie + hybrids, stock R flex shaft--best hybrids, for me, by far.
Eye 2 SW--great on full shots, great for chips and pitches, great out of the sand.  Nice combo.
Redwood putters, D66 and Anser--love the feel and performance.
906f4 3W with VS Proto--probably the most consistent FW off the deck I have used.

Jury Still Out:
G20 4W with TFC Tour R flex shaft--impressive so far, but even in regular flex, the TFC Tour shaft is pretty stout and launches low.

Didn't Work For Me:
Cleveland Mashie 3W--everything was a fade.

For the first time since I started golfing a couple of years ago, my current bag should for the most part be my bag at the start of next season, and I feel totally comfortable with that.

Edited by jeffrey r, 21 November 2012 - 01:17 PM.

Ping G25 12*, TFC R
TM Burner TP 17.5* 5w, 75R
Cobra TRail+ 19* and Ping G25 23* Hybrid
Ping G15 Irons 5-UW, CFS S
Ping i5 and Eye 2 54* and 58*
Odyssey MXM-V #9HT Putter 34"

#63 TTURaider

TTURaider

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73618
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Great
MP-64 - Just bought them a few weeks ago, and played my first round with them yesterday, but I am very impressed so far. Excellent feel and playable all the way through 3 iron for me.

54 & 60 SM4 Oil Can Vokeys - maybe I just needed a change from my old 52, 56, 60 setup, but I have been much more consistent and putting the ball much closer to the hole on a regular basis since putting these in play a month or so ago.

Good
710 MB - I never got along well with the 710 AP2's that I got last year, and I got these to work with them as a combo set. But these eventually ended up taking over and being played as a full set, sometimes with the AP2 3 iron as the MB is honestly just too much for me.

Just OK
712 CB - These felt good and I could have played them, but I couldn't tell enough of a difference from the MB's to keep them. The 3 iron was still a bit too much for me on off days.

Not Good
Nike VR Pro Combo - These just didn't feel right to me for some reason. They had too many grooves for my eye and just didn't perform the way I thought they would.

#64 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126606
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Good:
Cobra ZL Encore - The first, non deep face driver I've actually hit well. No idea why, but it seems to work for me.
G20 Hybrids - Fugly looking club but stupid easy to use. While Ping doesn't list many hybrid shaft options they will get you something special if you ask. Stick a Kuro Kage, Altus, VTS or DI in there and watch it come alive.

Meh:
Cleveland Classic 290/310 - Good performance but the esthetics and the terrible sound killed it. Plus side is that it was mighty easy to repurpose the Kusala and sell the head
i20 Driver - Great looks, nice sounds, average performance. Nothing strickly wrong with, it just didn't wow me.

Pass:
RBZ Tour hybrid #2.-  Fanastic tee club for distance but directionality was iffy. Crud off the deck.
Gorge Wedges - Hard feeling, seems to not spin as well as others (SM4/588's) on half shots/pitches
Miura 1957 Wedges - Too soft of a feeling and like the Gorge, iffy spin on half shots/pitches.
VR Pro hybrids - Did two things well. 1: It was small so easy to get in and out of the rough if you needed it. 2: Seemed pretty forgiving off toe hits. Otherwise, weird balance to the club and distance issues even when swapping shats.

#65 BogeyLJA

BogeyLJA

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127036
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

This is fun, here's mine.

Best decisions
Switch from 910 D2 to D3
Burner SF 2.0 TP w/ a 95 gram x Flex shaft.
Getting fit for irons & iron shaft = Adams CMBs w/ c-tapers.

Not good
Tmade ATV wedges
i20 Irons- too much bounce for me.

Taylormade R11s V2- Speeder TS7.2
Taylormade SLDR TS- Speeder 757
Titleist 913h- Speeder 90hb
Titleist 714 CB KBS C-taper
Vokey SM4 52/58
Scotty Cameron Sonoma

#66 Antnee94

Antnee94

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162839
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Great:
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro Irons 4-PW, KBS Tour Shafts, X-Flex Soft Stepped 1x
TM RBZ Fairway woods, 3 wood (Fujikura Rombax Type X, Stiff), 5 wood (Oban Devotion)
Garmin S3 GPS Watch (used the trade in money on the Adams Driver listed below)
Lead Tape - loaded up on the back of all my Vokey wedges to make them feel like hammers

Not Good for me
Adams Speedline Fast 12 LS (Fubuki Alpha 60, Stiff)
Adams XTD Fairway Woods, 3 wood (Fujikura Rombax Type X, Stiff), 5 Wood (Stock Fubuki Alpha Ax 65)
- lost the toe weight on the 3 wood with a swing, never fully accepted the Adams clubs even though the fitter had me with the best numbers in them

On the Horizion (Christmas)
Titleist 913 D2 Driver (will get fit for the right shaft)
TM RBZ 3 Hybrid (will get fit for the right shaft)
Titleist 913 D2, D+
15/19 TM RBZ FW, Fujikura Rombax Type X
Adam Idea A12 Hybrid (21), D+ HY92
Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
Vokey Spin Mill, 50, 56 (bent to 55), 60
Scotty Cameron California Coranado, 33i

#67 Mschumacher

Mschumacher

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146903
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Best
MP59
VR  Pro 3 & 4 hybrids (finally found a hybrid I don't hook)
Method 001

No hate/love
R11s fairway wood.  

Worst
Super xtd FW
650 FW

#68 flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117864
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Except for two clubs, all of my 2012 purchases were made in the past month (I always buy at the end of the season for next season) so I only have a small sample size to judge each one.

Best (in a landslide):
Ping G20 4-wood w/TFC R flex shaft - I should have made a switch to a 4 wood years ago.  I've hit more good fairway wood shots in two weeks with this club than I did all year with my 3 wood.

Good:
Ping G20 irons w/CFS R flex steel shafts - Ridiculous how well these fit me.  I've never been a good iron player, but i'm hitting about 3 more greens in regulation a round with these.  Plus, i've chipped in 5 times in the past 2 weeks with the U wedge.
Ping Anser driver w/TFC S flex shaft - The driver i've been looking for for 5 years.
Cleveland Classic 290 driver - Would still be gaming this one if I hadn't played a practice round with the Ping Anser driver.  Was completely happy with this driver until I got the Anser in my hands.

Just OK:
Ping G20 20* hybrid w/TFC R flex shaft - I hit it well, but I seem to have issues with a baby slice from time to time.
Ping Hoofer Stand Bag - Comfortable bag to carry, but a bit on the small size making it hard to get clubs in and out of the bag if I fill up the pockets with stuff.

Up in the Air:
Odyssey White Ice #1 - Honestly, I have no problem with the putter, but i'm having issues with my stroke right now which is why I bought this putter.  Been using the same putter for the past 8 years and thought it was time for a change.  The change didn't help cause i'm still putting poorly the past month.

Edited by flyinjoe13, 21 November 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#69 Petethreeput

Petethreeput

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146815
  • Handicap:2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Good: Kombi 44" Putter.  It has been absolutely great.  I don't think my avg putts per round changed too much, maybe a putt or so, but I just feel like I am going to hit them better, and I am surprised when I miss a short one.

Can't tell: RBZ 3w.  I have never hit any 3w well, so is it the club... I doubt it.  Don't know if I would buy it again.  Though, I do like it off the tee.  Maybe it is the club, everyone else seems to hate it.

#70 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 837

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Great - 913d driver, Anser driver, Mizuno MP-64 irons, SM4 wedges, GoLo putter.

Meh - i20 irons, Gorge wedges

Not so much - Anser FW, Anser wedges, Razr FIt driver, Odyssey Metal-X series, RBZ FW, everything Adams.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 BC7

BC7

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75951

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

Best Purchase of the year for me was a Adams XTD 3T fairway wood. I absolutely kill it.
Runner up- Mizuno MP 64's  Love the 63's but never felt the long irons were forgiving enough(might as well just play blades)  Tried the 59's and disliked the tungsten feel.
3rd place- Cameron Golo S  What a great putter.

Worst purchase-Adam Irons.  I honestly don't even know which ones I hated them so bad.  I'm glad they're out of my life.
Runner up-RBZ 3 wood.  I like the Adams 3T so much it makes this club a total dud even though they are sweet.

#72 kchase

kchase

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185986
  • Ebay ID:chaka24
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Good: Wishon 560MC irons
           Wishon 919THI Driver
           GolfShot for iOS

Bad:   Scotty California Monterrey
           Aldila Vs PROTO S (3 Wood)

#73 thisgolf4me

thisgolf4me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208445
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Best

910 d2 (in the bag)
Ap1
R11 irons (in the bag)
Adams speed line 12 3 wood ( in the bag) ( was cheap for good quality)
910 f ( almost gamed but waiting for 913)
910 h
Adams a12 (in the bag)
G20 hybrid
G20 fairway (was never great but neutral)
Cleveland 588 (ok but too light)
Vokey sm4s ( in the bag)
Ping i20 irons ( was almost in the bag )
Mizuno mp59 (tried friends and was really good first time I felt "butter" feel)
Mizuno jpx800&825 pro& non-pro
Mizuno r12 wedges
R9 tp irons
Scotty cameron new port 2
Scotty cameron Monterey ( in the bag)

Worst
Ping anser irons ( too expensive)
Ping anser wedges ( demo'd but took back laughing at price)
Anser 2 putter (tried friends one)
Scotty cameron del mar & Sonoma (returned)
Scotty cameron fast back ( tried in shop but was bad feel)
Odyssey white ice #1 ( got it from a friend gave it back to him )
R11 driver (I can't hit it)
Trusty rusty wedges ( I have to demo them myself to figure out why no one has them)
Taylormade rbz irons
Taylormade rbz driver ( was my first driver of the year can't stand the color and everything about it) but its long
Taylormade rocketbladz irons
Titleist ap2 (sold them)
Fourteen wedges( too pricey and not as good as scratch I gamed last year)

#74 Driver 8

Driver 8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180696

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Best buy for me was a brand new 906f2 five wood.  I've only had it a few weeks but I've hit so many good shots with it, I just love it.
2nd place would be a 913D3 driver.  I really like it so far, need to wait until warm weather to really judge it.  May reshaft in the spring.

The "eehh, not so much" award goes to my Mizuno R12 50* wedge.  First of all,  I just HATED the spinner shaft.  Also, it was a half inch shorter than the vokey it replaced!?!  Reshafted to the "normal" length with a DG but that raised the swingweight too much.  So for now, the vokey is back in the bag and the R12 is the backup.

Also, bought a R9 superdeep used.  Hated it, reshafted it, hated it, sold it.

And finally, judging from these replies, I'm glad I didn't buy a RBZ three wood.

#75 Golfwolf

Golfwolf

Major Winner

• 2,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2884
  • Handicap:13.7
  • Ebay ID:lonewolf8074
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

I bought a few clubs in 2012 but nothing when compared to some of you guys.

Best:

Titleist 910F 15º 3W, I actually traded a Cobra ZL driver from 2010 for this 3W, and absolutely love the way it works for me.

Bridgestone J40 DPC irons, moved to these from Ping i15s, glad to back to that forged feel that I prefer and the sexy look of the DPCs,

TaylorMade RBZ 22º hybrid, the white looks fine to me, this is also the only TM hybrid that I have used that is reliable for my game.

Mizuno MP-R12 wedges (52º and 58º), they look great and perform so well.

Super Stroke Slim putter grip, I was not a fan of larger grips but tried this as an experiment in early May, the switch made a huge difference in my confidence with the putter, I can't see myself changing back to a regular size grip anytime soon.

Bad:

Scotty Cameron Del Mar, this is a style of putter which I have used in the past but too much toe flow just made this putter too unreliable for me these days. I used it for a few rounds, need to sell this in the near future.

Other:

Ping BeCu Eye 2 SW and LW, I wanted these just to have in case I felt the need to use them. I owned the LW back in the late 80's and it is still a fine club. I does not get carried in the bag all the time but once in a while I feel the need to use it.

Cleveland Classic 290, nice looking club, I get a lot of positive comments on the appearance, the shaft is not great for me and will get it reshafted at some point in 2013.

Edited by Golfwolf, 26 December 2012 - 08:15 AM.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25 hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54/58
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

#76 Hookasaurus Rex

Hookasaurus Rex

Purveyor of fine turf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214763
  • Ebay ID:hokiegrass
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Great--  nike vrs forged irons- shocked at how good they are. Great blend of forgiveness, control and feel
             Adams fast 12 LS - Beast. 10 yards longer than any other driver I tried this year
             Adams super fairway XTD 14.5 3w - extremely long and forgiving
              Ping i120 17* hybrid - long, straight, easy from the deck
             Seemore One cs putter- awesome

Meh--   Callaway razr fit driver- liked it, great forgiveness average distance
             Callaway razr x irons- ok
             Ping tour s wedges- average
             TM Rbz hybrids- too easy to hook, but they were decent

Bad--  Rbz driver- way overhyped
           Rbz 3w- closer to 17 yards shorter than 17 yards longer ompated to my XTD
Cobra Bio Cell Pro w/ UST Chrome 6F4T
TEE xcg6 13* 3wood
Titleist 913h 19* hybrid
Ping i25 4-UW CFS X
Ping Anser 54* and 58*
Ping Nome TR

#77 brianmontgomery2000

brianmontgomery2000

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90784
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Very happy with my purchases;

Ping i20 irons
Tour S wedges
R11s
RBZ 3 wood

#78 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Handicap:8.1
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

for me (this might take awhile)

BEST: YES! CALLIE i can make putts with this thing, TOur S rustique wedges- got rid of a 60* which was a blessing and 52/58 combo is perfect and grinds fit my game so well. I have a short game now! i20 hybrid- frozen rope 210-220 from any lie. dont need to say anything else.

Good: I10 irons really good not a ton different than my i5s, 695 CBs-really liked these just not a ping guy, 588s- really liked them, would have been great if i had a set with even decent grooves, K15 awesome big stick, just not better than my 3 year gamer Rapture v2, Eye 2 lob wedge-good wedge, just like the 588 shape better, best bunker club ever

Meh: redwood anser-got my callie for like 25 bucks and love it. Good putter, but i really like the weight feel and roll of callie much better, g15 4 wood- this one is growing on me. Really missing my v steel 4 wood though, idea pro-i used to love them back in 2010 and replaced an old friend in 2012. this one just was never the same as my original.

Bad: FT tour- i cant play open faced drivers. Hit my longest drives of year with this, but not consistantly at all. sv tour wedges-just never really got into the feel maybe the fact they are nike idk.

epic fail: gloves: bought a couple and wore them maybe 2x all year. just dont like them.
ping rapture v2
PING g15 4 wood
PING i20 20* and 23*hybrid
Ping G10 xg 5-P KBS tour S
Ping karsten craz e
Ping Tour S 52/58 S300
WITB Link

#79 guisician

guisician

Owner of too many iron sets

• 826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160425
  • Handicap:16.4
  • Ebay ID:guisician61
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Most of what I've added & collected in 2012 is vintage or used, but the few pieces of new gear are all now in the bag:

Royal Collection Tour VS irons
Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider 50*-8* gap wedge
Cleveland CG15 DSG 62* lob wedge

modern: Royal Collection Tour VS
classic: Ben Hogan 1962 Power Thrust
hickory: Tad Moore Tom Morris 1930 Elect
"If it's not fun,
why bother?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors