Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf travel bags

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jd8102

jd8102

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189946
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

So I am taking my first winter golf trip ever this coming febuary to phoenix. I have never traveled with clubs before and am in the market for a travel case for my clubs. I have know knowledge of any brands, models, etc to look at. I am looking for any advice or suggestions on where to start looking. I have no specific budget, just want to have something that will protect my clubs the best. I am not sure this is the correct forum to post, so I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong area. Any responses appreciated. Thanks

Covert Tour 2.0 Speeder TS 6.3
TEE CB Pro 14.5 BB 83
Adams LSP 20* Speeder TS 9.8
J40 4-P  C-taper
J40 52* C-taper 56* & 60* DG TI S400
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 704

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

Club Glove.

Also, since you have time, shop around on your local Craigslist. Lot's of golf travel bags are for sale there, and many of them can be had for cheap! (especially those coffin like hard cases, I think people get them and realize what a pain they are to use and store).

I bought my Club Glove last bag, brand new for $100 via Craigslist.

If you only plan on using it once, or very sporadically, ask around to your golf buddies and maybe borrow one for your trip.

Have a great trip!

#3 tjob13

tjob13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211229
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

I too am also in the market for a new travel bag.  I previously owned a travel bag that I had for quite awhile, but didn't use that often.  In fact, I've probably been on about 7 golf trips over the last 12 years.  It ripped a few trips ago, and got worse each time, to the point it is no longer usable.  I contacted the manufacturer and airlines about it, and neither would do anything.  The manufacturer actually didn't even respond to me.  So I have been on the hunt for a new one.  

I always knew the Club Glove was a good bag, and the bag I had was similar in design and that is one of the reasons I bought it.  I thought it would protect my clubs as well as everyone says the Club Glove does, and last me for awhile.  I was mistaken.  I have since looked online at all the reviews, at forums such as this, and on different manufacturer's websites for info on travel bags.  From everything I have seen, it seems that the Club Glove is THE travel bag to have.   Everyone who owns one seems to rave about it, and I have come across almost no negative feedback for it, except for the price. It is more expensive than most, but in the end, I'm thinking it is probably worth it, especially when you have to buy a second bag after buying an inferior product.  

I am going on another trip soon, so need to get one myself.  I probably will have to borrow a travel bag for this trip though, as I can't afford to buy a Club Glove at the moment.   I don't want to make the same mistake as before and buy just what I can afford at the moment and again have problems with it's durability.  I'm hoping they at some point have a sale on their product, but I'm not sure if they ever do.  Most discounts from the big golf stores exclude the Club Glove as well.  Black Friday is coming up, maybe they will offer some sort of special?  Who knows.  I'll certainly check it out, on the off chance they do, but I'm guessing I'll just have to wait a little while before I can get my hands on one.

So, if budget isn't an issue for you though, I'd say go Club Glove.  I personally would get the Last Bag, as you can use it to put extra stuff for your trip in addition to your clubs.  I used to put my toiletries and a few items of clothing in my golf bag, which was about the same size, then just take a carry on for whatever else I needed.  It saves on bag fees, as most airlines will count a golf bag as normal luggage.  If you have a tour type bag, you might need the Last Bag XL.  Have a great trip!  My golf trips have been some of the best times of my life.  Hope your first one is awesome!

#4 a-B

a-B

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166709
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

FYI, Costco.com is selling the Club Glove Burst II for $159.99 shipped if you are a member or know someone who is.

#5 jd8102

jd8102

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189946
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info guys, and the heads up for the deal at Costco. I am going to be reading some more reviews today, but have decided on getting a club glove, Now just to figure out which one. Probally either the Burst 2 or last bag. Thanks again

Covert Tour 2.0 Speeder TS 6.3
TEE CB Pro 14.5 BB 83
Adams LSP 20* Speeder TS 9.8
J40 4-P  C-taper
J40 52* C-taper 56* & 60* DG TI S400
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2
WITB Link

#6 Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

I Like Big Putts and I Cannot Lie.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75388
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

I've had both the Club Glove BurstProof 2 with wheels and the Last Bag.  Very happy with both.  BP2 will accommodate a stand bag with a few extras.  LB will hold  much more, but be careful of overfilling and getting hit with excess weight fees.  Careful packing is important, and I usually stuff a few extra pieces of clothing (that are traveling with me anyway) around the more exposed areas of the bag/clubs.  And make sure you get the Stiff Arm, or use something that will work equally as well (I've heard broom handles, cut down hockey sticks, etc. work well) because you don't want your driver being the tallest thing in the bag in the event the bag gets dropped upside down.

Also be aware that TSA will open your bag and inspect it.  So make sure everything is positioned so they can't @#$% it up.  I had the top of a driver scratched badly on one trip because the TSA managed to lose the little rubber tip from my alignment rod and then somehow get the rod inside the driver headcover.

Titleist 910D2 9.5 'ahina
                PING G10 3W
                Titleist 712U
                PING i20 4-U
                PING Tour Gorge 56WS, 60TS
                PING Scottsdale TR Anser 2

#7 tjob13

tjob13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211229

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

a-B, thanks for the heads up on the discounted Club Glove Burst Proof at COSTCO.  Anyone know of a similar deal on the Last Bag?

#8 valveman

valveman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19667

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

A few comments on this travel bag topic.  I've been traveling with clubs for the past 25 years.  I've traveled with canvas covers, padded covers, hard sided cases, and hard sided golf bags.  My preferance is the hard sided golf bags which serve as protective travel case and on course carry / cart bag.  Over the past 10 years I have favored the Cargo Golf brand of travel bag.  There are a few other brands on the market now, all share the same design.  The protective case is designed to solidly protect the clubs with a removeable top.  Depending on design (I use the Cargo Golf 700 Series), the bag can hold a full set of clubs (I use a Titleist 910D3 most of the time, but can shoehorn in a D2 if needed).  The removable top is held in place during travel with a throughpin, which is held in place with a removable clasp for airport inspection.  The lower portion of the bag incorporates zippered pockets roomy enough for carry straps, balls, tees, gloves, etc.  The complete bag is wheeled, very compact, and light.  The compactness of this bag makes it tolerable to travel with through airports.  The bag is also very trunk friendly - another aspect to consider when traveling.  I've recently gotten this bag into a Fiat500.  As far as usage is concerned, I typically travel with my clubs twice a month.  That means at least 4 if not 8 or 12 loading/unloading cycles on airplanes, baggage handlers throwing the bags and carousels beating them up.  The outside pockets do get wear and tear, to the point where I've removed some of the damaged pockets.  Those bags with the removed pockets make great compact club storage bags (my problem with too many clubs)!

I used to be bummed about not traveling with my own carry bag, but this hard sided bag is light enough for a full round carry.  The upside of the bags mentioned above is certainly the use of your own bag on the road - that's a nice plus. However, the compactness of the Cargo Golf style hardsided bags is a bonus for me, as I can manage a wheeled suitcase with my pilots bag strapped to it, a shoe bag on top of that and the golf clubs in the other hand without a problem.  The weight of the hard sided bag, a full complement of clubs along with the Scotty Cameron Detour putter, and all accessories, never topped 35lbs.  So no over size or overweight charges at the airport.

Hope this helps!

Edited by valveman, 01 December 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#9 OSKARJONES

OSKARJONES

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74309
  • Ebay ID:OSKARJONES
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

If protecting your clubs is your primary concern you should use a hard case.  There is a reason why airlines make you sign a damage to clubs waiver when you fly with soft cases. SKB makes nice hard cases. I use the smaller one so I stay under the 50 pound weight limit.

#10 Truman

Truman

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119361
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

+1 for Club Glove.  I have over 100,000 miles on mine and it's still going strong.  Get the Last Bag, you'll regret not having the space if you go smaller.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors