Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Nike SQ ll Fairway fanboys welcome


54 replies to this topic

#1 sung1018

sung1018

    Yeah, I crush alot.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82864
  • Joined: 05/13/2009
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Last weekend when I picked up my new titleist 913d2, I saw a used Nike SQ 2 4w ladies flex in a used club bin. Tonight I had to go back to pick up my shorten stock shaft and noticed the club still sitting there. I read in the forum Nike sq2 are highly rated. It was in good shape. The shaft was all jacked up but head was in great shape. It was also dirt cheap. 30 bucks.  The thing is I just got me a new TEE cb5 4w and happy with it. However I am thinking i might need a backup. I will need to reshaft it. It has a ladies shaft. Do you guy think this is worth spending few bucks and install some what decent shaft in it and game it. Probably will end up spending a hundo for it all. Club, shaft, grip and installation. I am always looking for that magic fairway. What do you guys think?

Update:
Got new shaft put in my new SQ2 4w/7w. Gonna try to play them this weekend. Picked up a set of nice headcover too. So far so good. Hoping good results on the course.

Attached Thumbnails

  • 2012-11-30 08.50.24.jpg
  • 2012-11-30 08.50.26.JPG
  • 2012-11-30 08.50.23.jpg

Edited by sung1018, 01 December 2012 - 01:53 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ladahl

ladahl

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119561
  • Joined: 12/29/2010
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

LOVE IT!

I am changing clubs all the time, but not this one....  I have two 17* SQ II's

Best I've found from the deck...  (I've always had trouble hitting a 3W)

CONGRATS!  These are getting harder and harder to find

Attached Thumbnails

  • DSC05565.jpg

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Alpha 9* XPHLEXXX AGERA 73 S
TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway Big Bertha #3 VTS Silver S
Callaway Apex UT 24* Nunchuk
Callaway Apex 5-7 Apex Pro 8-A Modus 3 130 stiff
Callaway MD2 54 Tour Grind & 58 PM Grind Modus 3 130 stiff
Odyssey Works 2-Ball Fang Flatso 2.0
Callaway Chrome Soft
WITB Link

#3 Dscvrr St Louis

Dscvrr St Louis

    #CALLAWRX 12/12/12

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105250
  • Joined: 03/23/2010
  • Location:St. Louis
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 718

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Get an Arthur Extreme Excalibur shaft from golf works..the tour shafts are seriously good and $34.99 or there about....worth the money will feel like something so much more expensive.  if you are unsure search for a thread about the shafts...Robin Arthur is on here and would answer any questions..
BBA DBD 10*, XPHLEXXX Agera X
BB Mini 14*, XPHLEXX Agera S+
BB 815 16*(set to 17*) Veylix Rome 888 S
BB Alpha 815 20*(Set to 19*) Veylix Rome 988 S
Apex MB Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 S & Callaway Razr X MB,Modus 3 Tour 120 TX
Odyssey V-line Versa/Versa Works/MXM, Protype, TD and Versa #6
Callaway MD2 52 & 58 WV 125/ Callaway MD2 TG 52 & 58 WV 125 & Callaway PM Grind 58*



WITB Link

#4 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114193
  • Joined: 09/02/2010
  • Location:Mass
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

View Postladahl, on 15 November 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

LOVE IT!

I am changing clubs all the time, but not this one....  I have two 17* SQ II's

Best I've found from the deck...  (I've always had trouble hitting a 3W)

CONGRATS!  These are getting harder and harder to find

I've got a long hosel tour issue 17* SQ II.  Best damn club ever.  Cannot get it out of my bag no matter how hard I try!
915 D3 10.5 GD Tour AD DI 7x
????
VR LTD 19* VTS 8X Black
2011 TM MC Forged 5-PW S400 Tour Issue, 712U 3
SM5 Raw F-Grind 51, 456.14 55* and SM4 60V s400
Cameron Circa 62 #6/Kenny G G2 Chubby/Piretti Cottonwood II 355g

#5 TeeBonZ

TeeBonZ

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 944
  • Joined: 05/25/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

One of the best fairway woods period.

I've been playing the 3 since it came out with various shaft combos and added a 5 wood 2 years ago.   Solid and very easy to hit, even from sketchy lies.


#6 sung1018

sung1018

    Yeah, I crush alot.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82864
  • Joined: 05/13/2009
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

View Postladahl, on 15 November 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

LOVE IT!

I am changing clubs all the time, but not this one....  I have two 17* SQ II's

Best I've found from the deck...  (I've always had trouble hitting a 3W)

CONGRATS!  These are getting harder and harder to find
I can't believe you have two of these for back up. Yeah it's a good find. Now I just need to find a nice shaft for it.

#7 sung1018

sung1018

    Yeah, I crush alot.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82864
  • Joined: 05/13/2009
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

View PostDscvrr St Louis, on 15 November 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Get an Arthur Extreme Excalibur shaft from golf works..the tour shafts are seriously good and $34.99 or there about....worth the money will feel like something so much more expensive.  if you are unsure search for a thread about the shafts...Robin Arthur is on here and would answer any questions..
I haven't heard of the xcaliber but after a quick search, good reviews. What about ball flight and spin? I need something that will give me higher flight with mid spin. I was also thinking about following shafts.

Axivcore Blue or black
Harrison saga
Talimonti. Might of misspelled it.

#8 wolfpack

wolfpack

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89944
  • Joined: 07/28/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 391

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

I have the 3w in the bag right now.   My only problem is deciding what to carry, SQ2 15, my T60 17, or a V-steel 16.5.    I guess that is a good problem to have.

Edited by wolfpack, 16 November 2012 - 02:10 AM.

Cobra Bio Cell 11.5
Burner TP 17.5
Ping I20 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 850F  4-PW
MP-10T 52,  Eye 2 57.5
Anser 2 BECU

#9 kekoa

kekoa

    Pebble #7

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 598

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:29 AM

I def miss mine. Lacked distance for me but made up for it in how easy it was to hit. Tiger still plays the 5 wood right?

#10 rafal

rafal

    Irons are from PING, Woods are from Taylormade

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
  • Joined: 09/28/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1408

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

I think Nike told Tiger and others recently that in the new season they MUST play the new line.  OTOH he's Tiger so maybe he's exempt.

SLDR 12* Matrix Ozik HD6
AeroBurner 5W Grafalloy Blue 75
<- spot to be filled ->
PING G25 4-SW ProjectX 5.5
PING Glide 58* WS
TM DLL 36"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest


Hi there. Wondering why this box is in your way from continuing to read down this awesome thread? Just join for free and you will never see it again.




#11 sung1018

sung1018

    Yeah, I crush alot.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82864
  • Joined: 05/13/2009
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

View Postkekoa, on 16 November 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

I def miss mine. Lacked distance for me but made up for it in how easy it was to hit. Tiger still plays the 5 wood right?

View Postrafal, on 16 November 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

I think Nike told Tiger and others recently that in the new season they MUST play the new line.  OTOH he's Tiger so maybe he's exempt.
Tiger will play whatever the hell he wants. Hell he can play the old persimmon and he will still be tiger. And people will game the persimmon as well.

#12 shakey

shakey

    Hitting driver like Tiger!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60434
  • Joined: 07/14/2008
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1052

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I've played the 3 and 5 for about three years now.  I just upgraded to VR Pro LTD's, but the SQ2's are staying in spare bag.  NOT going anywhere.
Vapor Pro (12.5 R) w/Diamana Ahina Ion 70 S
VR LTD 3 w/Diamana Ahina 70 S
Vapor Speed 3/Recoil 110 S
Vapor PC 4-P w/DGS300
Engage 52 SQ, 58 DS w/DG Wedge
Method Milled 11 Oven Prototype
RZN Black Volt

#13 longbal30

longbal30

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,070 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41632
  • Joined: 10/31/2007
  • Location:Maryland
  • Ebay ID:longbal30
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Sq2 rocks, I have the 15* with 83 blueboard , and its money. I also have the 5 wood, but it launches too high paired with fubuki ax. Thinking ahina might fix the issue.

Edited by longbal30, 16 November 2012 - 02:03 PM.

Callaway XR Pro Rogue 110X
Callaway XR Pro 14*
Callaway Alpha 815 18*
3-Pw Nike Vapor Pro Modus 120X
Titleist Vokey SM5 52F/58K
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze

#14 MelloYello

MelloYello

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152687
  • Joined: 12/29/2011
  • Location:Upstate, SC
GolfWRX Likes : 675

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I had 2 of them for a long time: A 13* with a ProLaunch Platinum X and a 19* with a ProLaunch Platinum S.

The 3+ hit bullets. It was a machine built for stingers. I had no problem getting 250-260 with it routinely. I've recently made the switch to the VR Pro LE and I think there's a softer feel and a little less control but it's as long and certainly a touch more forgiving. It was a tough transition and I completely understood why Tiger went back to the SQ he had on a couple occasions. I still don't think the VR Pro LE was an upgrade. It was more of a shift in assets. The feeling of accuracy with the SQ was unbeatable.

The 19* I have it the easiest club in the world to hit. It's easier to get it elevated that any club I've ever hit and while it's not the longest, it's certainly easy to keep straight with fades and draws virtually never straying more than 5 or 10 yards in either direction. It's a 'can't miss' type of club for me.

I bought a 17* version with a ProLanch Red S to try and bring the ball-flight down a little and to stretch out the distance and again, it wasn't really better, just a little message towards more power.


This really has to be one of the greatest lines ever offered in the category of Fairway Metals by any OEM.
Nike VRS Covert Tour 2.0   (Kuro Kage)
Nike VR Pro Limited 3w 15*  (BlueBoard)
Nike VR Pro Limited 5w 19*   (BlueBoard)
Mizuno MP-64   3-PW  (Dynamic Gold)
Mizuno MP-T4  56 / 60   (Spinner)
Nike Method Milled 004

#15 HackerVance

HackerVance

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151241
  • Joined: 12/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Nike fairways, very underrated.


#16 rafal

rafal

    Irons are from PING, Woods are from Taylormade

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
  • Joined: 09/28/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1408

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'll just add that while I missed out on SQ2, I do have a full set of SQ Machspeed fairways that are money.
SLDR 12* Matrix Ozik HD6
AeroBurner 5W Grafalloy Blue 75
<- spot to be filled ->
PING G25 4-SW ProjectX 5.5
PING Glide 58* WS
TM DLL 36"

#17 sung1018

sung1018

    Yeah, I crush alot.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82864
  • Joined: 05/13/2009
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

View Postladahl, on 15 November 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

LOVE IT!

I am changing clubs all the time, but not this one....  I have two 17* SQ II's

Best I've found from the deck...  (I've always had trouble hitting a 3W)

CONGRATS!  These are getting harder and harder to find
Hey Ladhal,

What shaft did you have on your SQ2? Is that Fubuki on one of your wood? If so, how do you like shaft combo? I am in the market for mid/high launch with mid spin shaft. Perhaps, i will look in AXE Xcaliber?

#18 ladahl

ladahl

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119561
  • Joined: 12/29/2010
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

View Postsung1018, on 16 November 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

View Postladahl, on 15 November 2012 - 09:52 PM, said:

LOVE IT!

I am changing clubs all the time, but not this one....  I have two 17* SQ II's

Best I've found from the deck...  (I've always had trouble hitting a 3W)

CONGRATS!  These are getting harder and harder to find
Hey Ladhal,

What shaft did you have on your SQ2? Is that Fubuki on one of your wood? If so, how do you like shaft combo? I am in the market for mid/high launch with mid spin shaft. Perhaps, i will look in AXE Xcaliber?

I have an RIP Beta stiff 70 in one
the other is an Oban Devotion 65 04
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Alpha 9* XPHLEXXX AGERA 73 S
TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway Big Bertha #3 VTS Silver S
Callaway Apex UT 24* Nunchuk
Callaway Apex 5-7 Apex Pro 8-A Modus 3 130 stiff
Callaway MD2 54 Tour Grind & 58 PM Grind Modus 3 130 stiff
Odyssey Works 2-Ball Fang Flatso 2.0
Callaway Chrome Soft
WITB Link

#19 ladahl

ladahl

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119561
  • Joined: 12/29/2010
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

these are my shafts.. both awesome....  The Oban can HOOK hard though.. My fault :)

Attached Thumbnails

  • DSC05564.jpg

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Alpha 9* XPHLEXXX AGERA 73 S
TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway Big Bertha #3 VTS Silver S
Callaway Apex UT 24* Nunchuk
Callaway Apex 5-7 Apex Pro 8-A Modus 3 130 stiff
Callaway MD2 54 Tour Grind & 58 PM Grind Modus 3 130 stiff
Odyssey Works 2-Ball Fang Flatso 2.0
Callaway Chrome Soft
WITB Link

#20 JJK947

JJK947

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36028
  • Joined: 07/31/2007
  • Location:Southeastern Connecticut
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

SQ2 are the absolute easiest FW's to hit off any lie with the ability to still hit it low.  Usually you don't get that combination.  If they are easy to hit off of sketchy lies they usually launch high and spin like tops.  Not with the SQ2, I would put it at a mid launch and mid spin club head.  Really works well with a variety of shafts and you can put an absolute pole in it and it will still be playable.  For example the first 19* I had I put a UST V2 96X tipped 2" in and it was still easy to hit off the turf.  Currently playing the same head but with a BB 93 in it and I'm hitting it great.  Can't say enough about these FW's.  I actually have a 17* as well that I will put in play when I use my 13* 3 wood.

As others have said, it isn't necessarily the longest FW out there especially now with the RBZ/XTD/TEE clubs on the market.  That said the distance drop is more than made up for in the shotmaking ability the club has when compared to my last 5 wood the TEE CB3.

Harrison Saga and Axivcore Black sound like good mid launch choices for this head, the Saga is very similar to the Blueboard I am playing in my 19* but unfortunately it doesn't come in heavier weights.  You could also put a lower launch shaft like the Xcaliber in there and it will play like an easier to hit 3 wood.  If you can find a Blueboard 83 for this club I don't think you will find a better feeling fairway wood out there.

Edited by JJK947, 16 November 2012 - 08:02 PM.

Mizuno JPX 850 8.5 - Speeder 6.3
Taylormade SLDR TS 13 - Speeder 7.3
Taylormade SLDR 3HL 17 - Speeder 8.3
Taylormade UDI 3-iron - Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP4 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Taylormade XFT 52.09 - Dynamic Gold X7
Taylormade TP 58 ATV - Dynamic Gold X100
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest


Hi there. Wondering why this box is in your way from continuing to read down this awesome thread? Just join for free and you will never see it again.




#21 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

    Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Maine
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4853

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostJJK947, on 16 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

SQ2 are the absolute easiest FW's to hit off any lie with the ability to still hit it low.  Usually you don't get that combination.  If they are easy to hit off of sketchy lies they usually launch high and spin like tops.  Not with the SQ2, I would put it at a mid launch and mid spin club head.  Really works well with a variety of shafts and you can put an absolute pole in it and it will still be playable.  For example the first 19* I had I put a UST V2 96X tipped 2" in and it was still easy to hit off the turf.  Currently playing the same head but with a BB 93 in it and I'm hitting it great.  Can't say enough about these FW's.  I actually have a 17* as well that I will put in play when I use my 13* 3 wood.

As others have said, it isn't necessarily the longest FW out there especially now with the RBZ/XTD/TEE clubs on the market.  That said the distance drop is more than made up for in the shotmaking ability the club has when compared to my last 5 wood the TEE CB3.

Harrison Saga and Axivcore Black sound like good mid launch choices for this head, the Saga is very similar to the Blueboard I am playing in my 19* but unfortunately it doesn't come in heavier weights.  You could also put a lower launch shaft like the Xcaliber in there and it will play like an easier to hit 3 wood.  If you can find a Blueboard 83 for this club I don't think you will find a better feeling fairway wood out there.

Not entirely true. There are tour issue Saga's on the 'Bay that are 105x, but have .350 tips. They go for about 50 bucks. Nice way to get that Tigre/Blueboard 103 awesomeness without the price tag.
Mizuno JPX EZ 9.5/Fujikura Speeder TS 6.3
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/NVS 85
Mizuno Mp 53 3-9/Tour Concept s300
Titleist SM4 48, 54, 60/DG r400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#22 JJK947

JJK947

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36028
  • Joined: 07/31/2007
  • Location:Southeastern Connecticut
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 16 November 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

View PostJJK947, on 16 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

SQ2 are the absolute easiest FW's to hit off any lie with the ability to still hit it low.  Usually you don't get that combination.  If they are easy to hit off of sketchy lies they usually launch high and spin like tops.  Not with the SQ2, I would put it at a mid launch and mid spin club head.  Really works well with a variety of shafts and you can put an absolute pole in it and it will still be playable.  For example the first 19* I had I put a UST V2 96X tipped 2" in and it was still easy to hit off the turf.  Currently playing the same head but with a BB 93 in it and I'm hitting it great.  Can't say enough about these FW's.  I actually have a 17* as well that I will put in play when I use my 13* 3 wood.

As others have said, it isn't necessarily the longest FW out there especially now with the RBZ/XTD/TEE clubs on the market.  That said the distance drop is more than made up for in the shotmaking ability the club has when compared to my last 5 wood the TEE CB3.

Harrison Saga and Axivcore Black sound like good mid launch choices for this head, the Saga is very similar to the Blueboard I am playing in my 19* but unfortunately it doesn't come in heavier weights.  You could also put a lower launch shaft like the Xcaliber in there and it will play like an easier to hit 3 wood.  If you can find a Blueboard 83 for this club I don't think you will find a better feeling fairway wood out there.

Not entirely true. There are tour issue Saga's on the 'Bay that are 105x, but have .350 tips. They go for about 50 bucks. Nice way to get that Tigre/Blueboard 103 awesomeness without the price tag.

I have seen those but I am assuming they are made for Hybrids/heavier heads based on the .350 tip.  I would try one out if I found a FW I liked with a .350 tip.  I do have a BB 93 XX though so that will suffice for now.  :bb2:
Mizuno JPX 850 8.5 - Speeder 6.3
Taylormade SLDR TS 13 - Speeder 7.3
Taylormade SLDR 3HL 17 - Speeder 8.3
Taylormade UDI 3-iron - Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP4 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Taylormade XFT 52.09 - Dynamic Gold X7
Taylormade TP 58 ATV - Dynamic Gold X100
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
WITB Link

#23 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

    Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Maine
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4853

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

View PostJJK947, on 16 November 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

View PostMadGolfer76, on 16 November 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

View PostJJK947, on 16 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

SQ2 are the absolute easiest FW's to hit off any lie with the ability to still hit it low.  Usually you don't get that combination.  If they are easy to hit off of sketchy lies they usually launch high and spin like tops.  Not with the SQ2, I would put it at a mid launch and mid spin club head.  Really works well with a variety of shafts and you can put an absolute pole in it and it will still be playable.  For example the first 19* I had I put a UST V2 96X tipped 2" in and it was still easy to hit off the turf.  Currently playing the same head but with a BB 93 in it and I'm hitting it great.  Can't say enough about these FW's.  I actually have a 17* as well that I will put in play when I use my 13* 3 wood.

As others have said, it isn't necessarily the longest FW out there especially now with the RBZ/XTD/TEE clubs on the market.  That said the distance drop is more than made up for in the shotmaking ability the club has when compared to my last 5 wood the TEE CB3.

Harrison Saga and Axivcore Black sound like good mid launch choices for this head, the Saga is very similar to the Blueboard I am playing in my 19* but unfortunately it doesn't come in heavier weights.  You could also put a lower launch shaft like the Xcaliber in there and it will play like an easier to hit 3 wood.  If you can find a Blueboard 83 for this club I don't think you will find a better feeling fairway wood out there.

Not entirely true. There are tour issue Saga's on the 'Bay that are 105x, but have .350 tips. They go for about 50 bucks. Nice way to get that Tigre/Blueboard 103 awesomeness without the price tag.

I have seen those but I am assuming they are made for Hybrids/heavier heads based on the .350 tip.  I would try one out if I found a FW I liked with a .350 tip.  I do have a BB 93 XX though so that will suffice for now.  :bb2:

I almost pulled the trigger on one to go with a DET fw (.350), but...didn't.
Mizuno JPX EZ 9.5/Fujikura Speeder TS 6.3
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/NVS 85
Mizuno Mp 53 3-9/Tour Concept s300
Titleist SM4 48, 54, 60/DG r400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#24 JJK947

JJK947

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36028
  • Joined: 07/31/2007
  • Location:Southeastern Connecticut
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 16 November 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

View PostJJK947, on 16 November 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

View PostMadGolfer76, on 16 November 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

View PostJJK947, on 16 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

SQ2 are the absolute easiest FW's to hit off any lie with the ability to still hit it low.  Usually you don't get that combination.  If they are easy to hit off of sketchy lies they usually launch high and spin like tops.  Not with the SQ2, I would put it at a mid launch and mid spin club head.  Really works well with a variety of shafts and you can put an absolute pole in it and it will still be playable.  For example the first 19* I had I put a UST V2 96X tipped 2" in and it was still easy to hit off the turf.  Currently playing the same head but with a BB 93 in it and I'm hitting it great.  Can't say enough about these FW's.  I actually have a 17* as well that I will put in play when I use my 13* 3 wood.

As others have said, it isn't necessarily the longest FW out there especially now with the RBZ/XTD/TEE clubs on the market.  That said the distance drop is more than made up for in the shotmaking ability the club has when compared to my last 5 wood the TEE CB3.

Harrison Saga and Axivcore Black sound like good mid launch choices for this head, the Saga is very similar to the Blueboard I am playing in my 19* but unfortunately it doesn't come in heavier weights.  You could also put a lower launch shaft like the Xcaliber in there and it will play like an easier to hit 3 wood.  If you can find a Blueboard 83 for this club I don't think you will find a better feeling fairway wood out there.

Not entirely true. There are tour issue Saga's on the 'Bay that are 105x, but have .350 tips. They go for about 50 bucks. Nice way to get that Tigre/Blueboard 103 awesomeness without the price tag.

I have seen those but I am assuming they are made for Hybrids/heavier heads based on the .350 tip.  I would try one out if I found a FW I liked with a .350 tip.  I do have a BB 93 XX though so that will suffice for now.  :bb2:

I almost pulled the trigger on one to go with a DET fw (.350), but...didn't.

Hmmm, I have a 15* DET that no one wanted on the BST, might be worth an experiment.  But I just checked the ebay listing again and they cpm "in the 310 range", definitely a hybrid shaft that thing is stiff when an X is usually around 270-275 at that length.  If they came out with something in the 80-90 gram range made for drivers/FW's I'd buy it on the spot (well, depending on their price hikes the last year or so).  Had a Saga 75 in a 3 wood but it just didn't quite have the heft I want for a club that will be interacting with the turf.  Other than that it was perfect.

Either way, the OP should pick up that SQ2 for $30 before somebody else does, i.e. me.

Edited by JJK947, 16 November 2012 - 11:41 PM.

Mizuno JPX 850 8.5 - Speeder 6.3
Taylormade SLDR TS 13 - Speeder 7.3
Taylormade SLDR 3HL 17 - Speeder 8.3
Taylormade UDI 3-iron - Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP4 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Taylormade XFT 52.09 - Dynamic Gold X7
Taylormade TP 58 ATV - Dynamic Gold X100
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
WITB Link

#25 sung1018

sung1018

    Yeah, I crush alot.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82864
  • Joined: 05/13/2009
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostJJK947, on 16 November 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

Either way, the OP should pick up that SQ2 for $30 before somebody else does, i.e. me.
Too late! picked it up on my way home. Now do a little more research and find me a shaft to go with my magic stick. I hope this will be my holy grail.

One more thing to ask. What about sq2 7wood? There was a matching 7 wood to the 4 wood. I think I should go back tomorrow pick that up too. I have an old 7 wood but it will be nice to match my woods.

Edited by sung1018, 16 November 2012 - 11:55 PM.


#26 JJK947

JJK947

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36028
  • Joined: 07/31/2007
  • Location:Southeastern Connecticut
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

View Postsung1018, on 16 November 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

View PostJJK947, on 16 November 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

Either way, the OP should pick up that SQ2 for $30 before somebody else does, i.e. me.
Too late! picked it up on my way home. Now do a little more research and find me a shaft to go with my magic stick. I hope this will be my holy grail.

Damn!  I already have two so I'm not too mad about it.  Nice pickup. :good:

Personally, I have found that I like a heavier shaft in the SQ2's I've had.  Is this the next club after your driver or is it in between a 3 wood and a hybrid/iron?  Head for head, the SQ2 should launch higher that your CB5 so I wouldn't get carried away with something really high launching.  Just a nice mid launch shaft like a Bluebaord (Tiger combo), Harrison saga is cheap, Axivcore Black is a little higher, Aldila DVS is in that range and very cheap, good shaft, Motore F3, the list goes on.

Edit:  I also don't appreciate being called a fanboy but I'll give you a pass because you refrained from spelling it "fanboi".  :russian_roulette:

Edited by JJK947, 17 November 2012 - 12:03 AM.

Mizuno JPX 850 8.5 - Speeder 6.3
Taylormade SLDR TS 13 - Speeder 7.3
Taylormade SLDR 3HL 17 - Speeder 8.3
Taylormade UDI 3-iron - Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP4 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Taylormade XFT 52.09 - Dynamic Gold X7
Taylormade TP 58 ATV - Dynamic Gold X100
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
WITB Link

#27 sung1018

sung1018

    Yeah, I crush alot.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82864
  • Joined: 05/13/2009
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

YEAH BOi!

Quick snap shots. Club is in very clean condition. Did not pick up the 7wood yet but I will tomorrow if still available. Ordered AXE xcaliber FW shaft to test out the club. Heard good thing about AXE xcaliber and it was dirt cheap. I don't want to spend too much on this project since this is my back up fairway metal.

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_20121117_203117.jpg
  • IMG_20121117_203133.jpg
  • IMG_20121117_203153.jpg

Edited by sung1018, 17 November 2012 - 09:44 PM.


#28 driverwedge

driverwedge

    Missing: My swing. Reward if found.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69034
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 517

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

This thread makes me want to put my 17*/Ion BB83x back in the bag. Great setup!
Mizuno JPX 850 8.5*/ PX 7A3/ Cinnamon 65-X
Adams Super LS Black 18*/ Redboard 83x
Adams Super LSP Black 23*/ AxivRed 104x
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7
MP T5 Black Ion 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Yes Abbie Forged Pro Series
Srixon Z-Star XV (Pre-Spin-Skin)
WITB Link

#29 ladahl

ladahl

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119561
  • Joined: 12/29/2010
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

EDIT:  was your back-up :)

http://www.ebay.com/...=item564ea278bc

Give this one a try in it.. And report back ^  I think this owuld be a nice FW shaft in that head too...
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Alpha 9* XPHLEXXX AGERA 73 S
TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway Big Bertha #3 VTS Silver S
Callaway Apex UT 24* Nunchuk
Callaway Apex 5-7 Apex Pro 8-A Modus 3 130 stiff
Callaway MD2 54 Tour Grind & 58 PM Grind Modus 3 130 stiff
Odyssey Works 2-Ball Fang Flatso 2.0
Callaway Chrome Soft
WITB Link

#30 ladahl

ladahl

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,985 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119561
  • Joined: 12/29/2010
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item51a435ea7a

or this ^?  NO idea on specs...

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Alpha 9* XPHLEXXX AGERA 73 S
TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway Big Bertha #3 VTS Silver S
Callaway Apex UT 24* Nunchuk
Callaway Apex 5-7 Apex Pro 8-A Modus 3 130 stiff
Callaway MD2 54 Tour Grind & 58 PM Grind Modus 3 130 stiff
Odyssey Works 2-Ball Fang Flatso 2.0
Callaway Chrome Soft
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest


Hi there. Wondering why this box is in your way from continuing to read down this awesome thread? Just join for free and you will never see it again.







0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors