Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

To Zone or not to Zone

31 replies to this topic

#1 dogsbe

dogsbe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143425
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

This year, I have been really focused on triggering myself to get into the zone.  Ideally, I been trying to get in and out of the zone on each shot.  In reality, I would actually get into the zone for about 4 holes.  When I come out of the zone, there is a good chance that I just jump on the bogey train.  So, all the work that I did previously is kind goes up into smoke.  A month ago, I caught on to this relationship and then, only triggered going into the zone on the last 4 holes.  I have not done the stats, but I am guessing that I am averaging 1 to 2 under par for my finish in the last month.  

Yesterday, I was talking to my coach and he said, something rather interesting.  He wanted me to put my efforts into staying out of the zone.  What he wants me to do is basically to analyze my playing statistics and know the score that I am going to shot before I play the round.  In order to achieve this goal, everything has to be consistent, including the mental side of the game.  

He is coming from the perspective of if you need to post a particularly score, you will not do it if you are relying on your best game.  You will do it if you are relying on your averages.  To get better, you don't trying to improve your averages but simply  tighten up on on the precision.  

It is worth saying that one of his students just took the women's Open Championship and what separates from others is her precision in everything that she does.

Honestly, a lot of what he was saying just sounded like gold.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MDP1555

MDP1555

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165719
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

Goal orientated as opposed to fantasy orientated mind set. You can have both! Frome time to time. That is being “task at hand” orientated and end up being in the zone. Truth is being in the zone is really nothing more than confidence in you ability to perform to a degree that the thought process is not affecting you ability to perform.

I agree the "ZONE" is over rated in terms of a goal to achieve each time you play. it isn’t going to happen the majority of rounds. However a specific task is something that is reasonably achievable each and every time you attempt it. It may not happen every time but it is always achievable.

Also a task at hand gives you situational direction when your are out of position. if you are relying on being in the zone to help you, you are just wishing.

Edited by MDP1555, 15 November 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#3 keygolf

keygolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64061
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

dogsbe and MDP: would you both, or either of you, be good enough to indicate what zone it is to which you are referring and how you go about getting there?

I ask because what you say does not quite match what the reasearch shows and there are two zones, not one. I may need to change 30 years of study and teaching of this process if there is something you know that I missed.
Thanks,

#4 MDP1555

MDP1555

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

What is ment by the Zone is a combination state of mind that is free and clear with dedicated focus and without doubt while at the same time your athletic execution firing on all cylinders. It is when you feel like you can do no wrong and your body reacts in perfect timing.

it in truth is an symbiotic state of thought and execution  personaly I think it is rare event and seldom achivable by trying to do so.

Edited by MDP1555, 15 November 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#5 MDP1555

MDP1555

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •