Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Snedeker: Pace of play 'pathetic' on PGA Tour

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#91 TML

TML

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8692
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

View Postrafal, on 16 November 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

View Posttopekareal, on 16 November 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

So because he won a bunch of money he shouldn't point out how ridiculous the pace of play is?

Can't be too ridiculous if he manages to go low anyway, can it now?

Each of us has an internal tempo.  Some of my playing partners are slow, others are crazy fast and barely can wait to hit another shot.  Trying to force them to behave differently messes up their games.
i assume you and your golfing buddies are just amateurs playing for nothing.  Speed it up and keep up with the group ahead.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#92 nbg352

nbg352

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 735

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostChilli9880, on 20 November 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

I honestly feel that you can't compare slow play on the TOUR to slow play at your course. Slow play on TOUR is mostly discussing options, too many practice swings, unable to pull the trigger, they are playing for millions and thousands of dollars!! I'd take a little more time to make a decision, but once you do pull the trigger. Now slow play at your course, how much of it is age, gender, personality involved. A big thing I've noticed at a bunch of courses... the rough is getting longer... they aren't mowing as much I feel because of the cost of gas. How many times in your past couple rounds has your group had to stop so you all can find a golf ball that you know can't be more than a couple yards from the fairway. I recently played a 3 ½ hour 9-hole round because a half dozen times we had to stop to look for golf balls that were just off the fairway. That ridiculous, I went and told the clubhouse that. We weren't at Oakmont! Sure, some guys probably have no business playing a ProV1 or Hex Black, but when they know their ball isn't far from the fairway, I'd take some time to stop and look for it. Balls are over $3 a pop now! I play with a big group of guys and yes, some of them need to shut up and watch the golf ball on the tee box or some could cut short their green reading routine. But I honestly believe that the TOUR slow play and the recreational slow play are two different problems.
3 1/2 hours for 9 holes? And you're okay with that? And you only had to look for 1/2 doz. balls? Let's see....5 minutes for each ball = 30 minutes of search time. So it took 3 hours to play a 9 hole round of golf, not counting search time?
You boys should be ashamed! And next time, use cheap, losable balls at this time of year!
Maltby KE4 9* Axe T6 R, tipped 1"
Maltby KE4 14* fairway
Callaway Tour 18* hyb. S. TM 25* hyb
Callaway RazrX 4 - A 4* flat Graph S
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#93 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 881

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostTML, on 20 November 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

So because he won a bunch of money he shouldn't point out how ridiculous the pace of play is?

Each of us has an internal tempo.  Some of my playing partners are slow, others are crazy fast and barely can wait to hit another shot.  Trying to force them to behave differently messes up their games.
i assume you and your golfing buddies are just amateurs playing for nothing.  Speed it up and keep up with the group ahead.

Next time you're stuck behind us just come up and try your luck trying to nudge us :)
TM SLDR S 12*
TM MINI 16*
TM SF 1.0 5W/7W
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#94 TML

TML

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8692
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

View Postrafal, on 20 November 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

View PostTML, on 20 November 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Next time you're stuck behind us just come up and try your luck trying to nudge us :)
Spoken like a true group of 4 ninja turtles!  :)

#95 H.A. Kerr

H.A. Kerr

I'm almost 100% sure the word you want is "losing"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53952
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

View Postmark m, on 17 November 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

I'm with you Bob. My brother and I played today. First ones out after a frost delay. Walked a 6900 yard course and finished in 2:50. If it was a tournament and we were reallly bearing down - it would have been 3:30 max.

First out? What great anecdotal evidence! Please base all your remarks on this totally realistic number!

#96 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 360

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Slow play is an epidemic in golf, I've been saying this for years. I now have first off tee times on the weekends with a handful of my league members and we enjoy and take great pride in our pleasantly brisk pace of 3hrs max. The course has taken notice and always comments on how refreshing it is to see a group play well in a reasonable time frame...BB

Edited by Big Ben, 20 November 2012 - 08:57 PM.

Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#97 mark m

mark m

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44392
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Kerr: Don't like that one, huh?

Here's another. We played the next day (Sunday) in a 5-some. 3 scratch players walking and playing at 6900 and 2 others, a 14 and a 29, riding and playing the 6000 yard tees. We were not the first group out, and we were part of 3 groups in a game - so we play by the rules and putt everything out. We finished in 4 hours flat. We also had to look for at least 5 balls in the leaves/rough. My point is that it should not take 5 hours to play a round of golf. I think it is unreasonable.

I have played in numerous state opens and state am tournaments. They always have a pace of play policy. The max time allowed is usually around 4:30 and it is enforced. It is common at each event that some groups are warned and penalties have occurred. Most of the guys know about it and so speed of play is typically pretty good at around 4:00-4:15. The downside is that the warnings and penalties are typically assessed to the group - and not the individual - and this is part of the policy that I would change (if it was possible). Having twice been in groups that were warned - I can tell you that it can be uncomfortable and creates bad group chemistry and it adds to the difficulty as well. In both of these incidents, we had one member (not me) who was the problem. All things considered, I think the policy is a good one and would rather have it than not. In fact, if we didn't have it and play was slow, I would not enter these tournaments (and the same goes for many of the top players that I know).

The Tours

I am in the camp that thinks slow play on tour is having an effect on the pace of play at our local courses. Too many players emulate what they see on TV. We have a few college tournaments on my home course and they obviously don't enforce a pace of play policy as most of the rounds were taking over 5:30 to complete. This is not a good trend and if the tours did do something - I think it could have a tremendous impact on all levels of golf. I hope that they get started on it soon. Maybe some of the quicker young guys (Sneds, Fowler, etc) will speak up and this will lead to some changes. I also believe the tour would have the capability to time the players and assign the penalties where they belong - to individuals.

Last Point

Does all this excessive time lead to better shots and scores?

Did it help GMac at the (British) Open?
What about Furyk at the Ryder Cup?

Furyk took forever to hit par putts on the last 2 holes (17 &18) during the last round (singles). The crowd even got on him on the 17th hole. It was ridiculous. He had played the course numerous times. He had an experienced caddie, had his green chart, and so on. He missed them both. I am curious as to what he took away from that? He might think he didn't take enough time? I don't know. I wish he would quit all the futzing around and hit the ball. At least try it. And he isn't the only one - I picked those 2 examples because most of the guys here would be familiar with them.
910D3 8.5 Oban Devotion 05Flex 75g
Ping G5 3W & 5W Fujikura Pro 90X
Srixon I-701 tour 4-PW Rifle 7.0
Vokey 50/08, 56/14, 60/04
Newport 2.5, ProV1x
Ashworth & Ecco spikeless

#98 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 347

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

How fast does the ProAm the days leading up to the tournament take?  I bet it takes less time to get the pros and ams around 18 than it does to get just the pros around on their own.

#99 H.A. Kerr

H.A. Kerr

I'm almost 100% sure the word you want is "losing"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53952
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

tldr

#100 bosox24

bosox24

The will is everything.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31312
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

I know this has been mentioned in this thread, but I think a shot clock is the answer on the PGA tour.  You already have a rules official with each group, so they can start the clock.  You could even feed it into the telecast, which would make watching golf more exciting for many.  It is also easier to watch a round of golf on TV if you know it will be wrapped up in under 5 hours.

I am a traditionalist as much as anybody, but the game needs to speed up for the casual fan.  I believe the telecasts need to add a little excitement with some other changes, but speeding up play is a great start.   It's also in the players' best interest because when ratings are up they make more money.

And to Snedeker's point, I remember on "Feherty" someone (Trevino or Venturi?) saying "A slow player can play with a fast player, but a fast player can't play with a slow player."  Doesn't seem very fair, and encourages all players to be slow.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#101 Chilli9880

Chilli9880

#adiZero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200275
  • Handicap:11.4
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

View Postnbg352, on 20 November 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

I honestly feel that you can't compare slow play on the TOUR to slow play at your course. Slow play on TOUR is mostly discussing options, too many practice swings, unable to pull the trigger, they are playing for millions and thousands of dollars!! I'd take a little more time to make a decision, but once you do pull the trigger. Now slow play at your course, how much of it is age, gender, personality involved. A big thing I've noticed at a bunch of courses... the rough is getting longer... they aren't mowing as much I feel because of the cost of gas. How many times in your past couple rounds has your group had to stop so you all can find a golf ball that you know can't be more than a couple yards from the fairway. I recently played a 3 ½ hour 9-hole round because a half dozen times we had to stop to look for golf balls that were just off the fairway. That ridiculous, I went and told the clubhouse that. We weren't at Oakmont! Sure, some guys probably have no business playing a ProV1 or Hex Black, but when they know their ball isn't far from the fairway, I'd take some time to stop and look for it. Balls are over $3 a pop now! I play with a big group of guys and yes, some of them need to shut up and watch the golf ball on the tee box or some could cut short their green reading routine. But I honestly believe that the TOUR slow play and the recreational slow play are two different problems.
3 1/2 hours for 9 holes? And you're okay with that? And you only had to look for 1/2 doz. balls? Let's see....5 minutes for each ball = 30 minutes of search time. So it took 3 hours to play a 9 hole round of golf, not counting search time?
You boys should be ashamed! And next time, use cheap, losable balls at this time of year!
First, it wasn't 5 minutes per ball. Second, No, I'm not ok with it. And third, I'm certainly not going to stand on the first tee box and tell someone what they should and should not be playing. But it's also not solely the golfers fault or within our group specifically because there were tee boxes we were waiting on and I'm sure the group in front of us was having the same problem. There is Mr. 20 handicapper who just bought a sleeve of balls for $12 in the pro shop, hits his shot just off the fairway, not OB, not into the woods, not 20 yards from the fairway, and has to spend multiple minutes looking for his ball. All I'm saying is, that there are many factors into slow play and making the golf course easier would certainly help.
Taylormade White SLDR, Stage 2 Tour 3W
Taylormade SLDR 5W, R11 Rescue 4H
Nike VR Pro Combo 5-PW (Tour Issue s400)
Titleist Vokey Forged JDM 50, 56 SM1 60
Odyssey Versa 1W - W/B/W, Titleist ProV1
#adiZero Launch Contest Winner

#102 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2177

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

View Postmark m, on 20 November 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

I have played in numerous state opens and state am tournaments. They always have a pace of play policy. The max time allowed is usually around 4:30 and it is enforced. It is common at each event that some groups are warned and penalties have occurred. Most of the guys know about it and so speed of play is typically pretty good at around 4:00-4:15. The downside is that the warnings and penalties are typically assessed to the group - and not the individual - and this is part of the policy that I would change (if it was possible). Having twice been in groups that were warned - I can tell you that it can be uncomfortable and creates bad group chemistry and it adds to the difficulty as well. In both of these incidents, we had one member (not me) who was the problem. All things considered, I think the policy is a good one and would rather have it than not. In fact, if we didn't have it and play was slow, I would not enter these tournaments (and the same goes for many of the top players that I know).

Great, but this is the reality....

How many major network TV cameras were out there for those tournaments?  Were they concerned at all with advertisement dollars and commercials?
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#103 mark m

mark m

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44392
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Vindog,

As you should know, I brought this point up (in post #20) in a response to one of your posts. I wish we had a TV person here to explain what happens when sporting events run long. There obviously is a downside as other programming gets pushed back and that probably leads to fewer viewers and less revenue for those shows. Why would a company pay full price for an ad scheduled to run in a show at a certain time slot - and then it runs at a much later time?

I do agree with the premise you are making, i.e. that for the PGA tour, money rules. That does seem to be the case. I do see the downside to the current trend and believe that for the good of the game, their purposes and values need to consider more than just the short-term money.

But if it is in the networks best interest to finish on time - then it would be best to get the rules and incentives aligned to meet those goals, correct?

Serious reform would best come from the players themselves. They need a strong majority in favor of doing something. As I mentioned before, with the current set-up I don't see any movement. Maybe next year. I see nothing wrong in guys like Sneds speaking out about this issue. Too many people are sheep and just go along to get along.
910D3 8.5 Oban Devotion 05Flex 75g
Ping G5 3W & 5W Fujikura Pro 90X
Srixon I-701 tour 4-PW Rifle 7.0
Vokey 50/08, 56/14, 60/04
Newport 2.5, ProV1x
Ashworth & Ecco spikeless

#104 dhc1

dhc1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56198
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

View PostVindog, on 20 November 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

View Postdhc1, on 20 November 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

I'm surprised that FedEx hasn't addressed this issue in the playoff point system. Their business is about being on-time. There are different ways to administer the points but I think it would be lots of free and positive advertising for FedEx.
There's not many people who even know what slow play is, let alone think it's a problem for the tour.  So, do you think FedEx would rather look "positive" to that minority, or air more commercials?  That's the unfortunate truth.

An above poster nailed this one on the head.

I think that a pace of play penalty with real teeth would cause a significant stir on the tour and that would have ESPN and mainline sports anchors discussing it quite a bit (when it is first announced, when the first person is penalized, when a leading player loses points and then finally, during the playoffs). Sports fans who don't follow golf would hear that FedEx cares about "on time performance" and has put its money where its mouth is. If spun correctly, it falls right into how they portray themselves.

Edited by dhc1, 21 November 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#105 dhc1

dhc1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56198
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostVindog, on 21 November 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

View Postmark m, on 20 November 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

Great, but this is the reality....

How many major network TV cameras were out there for those tournaments?  Were they concerned at all with advertisement dollars and commercials?

Why do you think that TV advertising would be negatively impacted by increased speed of play? I think they could get more star player shots on the air. Why wouldn't it be better to see 18 holes of tiger vs rory in the 3-4 hour televised window rather than 10 holes?

I also don't know why this would have an impact on shows running over as it's rare for a tournaments to be shown for over 4 hours , which is likely shorter than the time that pros would be required to play in.

Edited by dhc1, 21 November 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#106 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

I'm Gonna Live Forever! But first I need to stop this bl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124830
GolfWRX Likes : 1428

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostChilli9880, on 21 November 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

View Postnbg352, on 20 November 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

First, it wasn't 5 minutes per ball. Second, No, I'm not ok with it. And third, I'm certainly not going to stand on the first tee box and tell someone what they should and should not be playing. But it's also not solely the golfers fault or within our group specifically because there were tee boxes we were waiting on and I'm sure the group in front of us was having the same problem. There is Mr. 20 handicapper who just bought a sleeve of balls for $12 in the pro shop, hits his shot just off the fairway, not OB, not into the woods, not 20 yards from the fairway, and has to spend multiple minutes looking for his ball. All I'm saying is, that there are many factors into slow play and making the golf course easier would certainly help.
So, did it take 3.5 hours for 9 holes b/c you let 10 groups play through?
You could've taken a putter off the tee and gotten through faster, you'd keep it in the fairway, too.

Seriously, though, the 3.5 hours is an exaggeration, right? 7 hours for 18?  It's enough to make Kevin Na and Ben Crane antsy.
At that point, you shouldn't have to stand on a tee and say anything to anyone. There should be a marshal to do that.  AND the marshal should WANT to do that b/c it's bad for business.  I'm sure there are a lot of people who would look at a 3.5 hour 9 and say "I'm never playing this place again."
Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW
Mizuno JPX 50*, Mizuno MPT-11 54*
Vokey SM4 60/10, Odyssey Black TD #2

#107 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21573
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

View Postpoizster, on 15 November 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

View Postbscinstnct, on 15 November 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

View Postpoizster, on 15 November 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

View Postfore_life, on 15 November 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Who are they slow ones? Ben Crane? Kevin Na? Who else?

jonathan byrd, jj henry, trevor immelman, j.b. holmes, hunter mahan, sergio garcia, jim furyk, tiger woods, keegan bradley, john sendon, charlie wi, bubba watson, justin rose, padraig harrington. It goes on and on and on. The majority of them are slow.

Tiger is slow? I didn't know that.

I thought that he has spoken out against slow play.

I know jack was considered annoyingly slow.

I think the guys on tour need to start saying things to the slow players faces

In his defense, I think a lot of it has to do with the crowd. Although I'm always amazed how often slow play gets brought up on these forums but nobody ever mentions Tiger. It's always Crane and Na like they should be the responsible majority. Tiger is sooooo deliberate aka slow on the greens.

The question is though does he have any where to go.  Slow play is one issue, but the last thing I want to do is wait ten minutes on each shot.  I think that many times players adjust play to the pace in front of them.
Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

#108 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 360

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

There is no reason on planet earth (including money) to take more than 4:30hrs to play a round of golf....NONE!!!!!!!!

PACE OF PLAY IS AN EPIDEMIC IN GOLF! Screw worrying about the long/belly putter and focus on educating the new generations on playing faster and with a purpose...BB
Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#109 Jamboy72

Jamboy72