Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Making standard grips into Midsize

31 replies to this topic

#31 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 3264

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Here is the Grip chart im using

Measure your hand like the 2 arrows shows
http://peecee.dk/upload/view/380931

Use this chart
http://peecee.dk/upl...iew/391576/full

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Bigjim1022

Bigjim1022

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199488
  • Ebay ID:jjoberg1013
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostHoward Jones, on 18 November 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

View PostBigjim1022, on 18 November 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

View PostHoward Jones, on 18 November 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

Just stop the argue, you got whats right in the chart i gave you
Grip sizing is one of a few standards in Golf, so if you are using tape for golf use, the chart is correct and there is no guess work to it at all. 4 layers of BU = Midsize and 8 layers is Jumbo, end of story.

If you are using 0.580 core on 0.600 add 0.020 to diameter
If you are using grip tape as build up, count 0.010 instead of 0.015 for each layer

Golf tape is made by this standards, masking tape is not, so providing info of how many layers of masking tape who gives mid or jumbo is not the same from painters tape to painters tape, so this info is useless without a brand and model nr for the tape in use. Take a caliper and measure shaft butt without and with 1 layer, and you will know how much the actual tape adds, its not more difficult than that.

I don't doubt what you have posted.  Maybe you can help explain though why 4 wraps on a lamkin crossline standard size  does not feel like a Lamkin midsize 1/16" over?  This past summer I tried building up my grips with 4 wraps, then I tried a midsize grip and the difference was quite obvious.  I don't understand why though?

Thanks!  Great thread too!!

Feel and size is 2 different things, and 4 wraps of tape feels softer than a MID sized grips does
The same complain is often heard from using 0.580 on 0.600 core. The added rubber is harder than build up tape, so the feel of the grip becomes different.

If target is MID size we got 3 options to get there (Mid is 0.960)
- Standard grip with 4 layers each of 0.015 BU tape - softest grip feel with the lowest effect on Counterweight and total weight
- 0.580 core on 0.600 - Using 2 layers of BU and 1 layers of grip tape as build up (2 x grip tape total) - Medium firm grip feel
- Mid size grips - firmest feel, largest influence on total weight and Counterweight.

All the 3 options gives MID size or 0.960, but weight and feel is slightly different, so take take the option who gives gives the most for you from weight, counterweight and feel of firmness.

Great Info!  I have more questions but am going to start a new thread in order to not completely threadjack!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors