Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 2 votes

The real numbers behind driving the ball on Tour

driving statistics driving accuracy driving distance driving effectiveness rich hunt

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 zakkozuchowski

zakkozuchowski

GolfWRX Managing Editor

• ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59676
GolfWRX Likes : 286

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Posted Image

The real numbers behind driving the ball on Tour

By Rich Hunt

GolfWRX Contributor

In the era of modern technology, advanced fitness regimens and long driving competitions, there has been a growing sentiment towards golf favoring the ‘bomb-n-gouge’ style of play.  However, we still see many shorter-hitting golfers like Zach Johnson who are successful in the game.  Most of the clients on Tour I work with have questioned the advantages that power can have on Tour versus hitting the ball the more accurately.  As a competitive amateur golfer myself, it was one of the first things I investigated from a statistical standpoint.

Part of the issue deals with the main metric designed to determine driving skill on Tour, called ‘Total Driving." Total Driving utilizes a very simple formula by adding the rankings of a player’s Driving Distance and Fairway Percentage together.  The lower the combined ranking, the better the golfer will rank in Total Driving. But it’s metrics like Total Driving that have only produced more questions than answers for golfers.

The main issue with the Total Driving metric is that it is flawed from a statistical standpoint and it is a very incomplete formula. From a pure statistical standpoint, the addition of taking the rankings and adding them together is a bad idea in general.  Theoretically, a golfer on Tour could hit nothing but 4-irons off the tee and would likely lead the Tour in percentage of Fairways Hit. But, they would also likely be dead last in driving distance. And using the Total Driving formula of adding up the rankings would misrepresent how well the golfer hits the ball off the tee.

In that example, the golf would rank No. 1 in Fairway Percentage and No. 191 in Driving Distance.  That would combine for 192 Total Driving points, leaving this particular golfer ranked 100th out of 192 golfers on Tour in Total Driving.  However, the reality is that if a Tour golfer hit nothing but 4 irons off the tee, they would almost be guaranteed to be the least effective driver of the ball on Tour, if not in the history of the Tour.

And therein lies part of another issue with Total Driving -- it assumes that driving distance is just as important as fairway percentage. When examining Driving Distance and Fairway Percentage to par-4 and par-5 scoring averages, the data shows that they are not of equal importance.

Not wanting to stop at just driving distance and fairway percentage, I examined other metrics as well.  The one metric that showed some statistical influence to par-4 and par-5 scoring averages is called "Average Distance to the Edge of the Fairway."  This metric is measured on shots by a Tour player when they miss the fairway.

It’s easy to understand why combining Driving Distance, Fairway Percentage and Distance To the Edge of the Fairway can show a strong correlation to par-4 and par-5 scoring average. Distance helps measure power, fairway percentage helps measure accuracy and distance to the edge of the fairway helps measure precision. Now the question becomes putting it in a formula to best represent its effect on Tour players and then examine the results.

Eventually I came up with my own metric that I call "Driving Effectiveness."  It combines the metrics of Driving Distance, Fairway Percentage and Average Distance To the Edge of the Fairway. However, it utilizes the actual measurements instead of using the rankings.  Furthermore, it weighs those metrics differently to better represent its typical impact on Tour golfers on par-4s and par-5s.  Without giving the formula away, I will say that in the end that Driving Distance and Distance to the Edge of the Fairway have a larger impact on a golfer’s score than fairway percentage. But, do not let that fool you into believing that hitting fairways is unimportant.

Here is a table showing the top-10 and bottom-10 players in Driving Effectiveness and the Total Driving metric.

Top-10 in Driving Effectiveness

Posted Image

Bottom 10 in Driving Effectiveness

Posted Image

While there are some similarities between the rankings of the two metrics, there are plenty of players who are not accurately depicted in Total Driving. Here’s a look at the top-10 players who had the largest improvement in Driving Effectiveness ranking from the Total Driving metric.

Posted Image

Here are the players with the largest decline in Driving Effectiveness ranking from the Total Driving metric.

Posted Image

In golfers who had a much better Driving Effectiveness ranking, we see that favoring shorter hitters a little. Conversely, with the golfers with a worse Driving Effectiveness ranking, that has a small bias towards longer hitters. The reason being has to do with the Average Distance To The Edge of the Fairway metric.
However, the bias is somewhat small. I believe the reason for that is regardless of their length off the tee, Tour players do not typically see a sizeable difference in where they rank on Tour between fairway percentage and Average Distance to the Edge of the Fairway.

For example, KJ Choi saw the largest difference in Driving Effectiveness (67th) versus Total Driving (128th).  Choi was ranked 54th in fairway percentage, hitting 64.08 percent of his fairways. But, Choi was also 2nd in Average Distance to the Edge of the Fairway, hitting it 18.7 feet from the edge on average. Thus, Choi was more effective than Total Driving indicates because when he did miss the fairway, he did not miss by much.

I think that amateurs can apply the general principles of Driving Effectiveness in their own game as well. If they are looking to become more effective off the tee, the ways to make the largest improvements would be to increase their driving distance (power) and their Distance to the Edge of the Fairway (precision).  If they are looking at swing changes or a new driver in order to increase distance, they should focus more on how that may possibly affect their Average Distance To The Edge of the Fairway.

However, if they gain power but lose too much precision they may end up being less effective in the long run. And if they do not believe they can gain any power, they should probably focus their efforts on Fairway percentage (accuracy) and Distance To The Edge of the Fairway (precision) in order become more effective off the tee.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 682

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

It's hard to really form an opinion on this without knowing the formula for Driving Effectiveness. For all we know, the formula is crap. It's not like you're making fried chicken.

#3 YMark

YMark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168261
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Someone is real bored.
Mark
Havin fun in the AZ sun

#4 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2396

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Pretty cool stuff.

Translating these findings to the amateur game is very very helpful.   Keep doing that, because otherwise to me, it's just another set of pros' stats, reminding me how much I stink.

Edited by Vindog, 15 November 2012 - 10:21 AM.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#5 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 1169

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Another very interesting article. Thank you!

I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
========================================
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE
========================================

#6 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Llortamaisey, on 15 November 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

It's hard to really form an opinion on this without knowing the formula for Driving Effectiveness. For all we know, the formula is crap. It's not like you're making fried chicken.

Llortamaisey, I agree,

But there is no way I can get around that.  I have invested quite a bit of time and knowledge to better depict the formula, so giving it away for free is something I don't want to do.  However, I do feel that one can draw some reasonable conclusions to the flaws of 'Total Driving' and whether or not a metric that includes Distance, Fairway % and Distance to the Edge of the Fairway makes some sense.  And that while hitting fairways is important, distance and distance to the edge of the fairway have a greater level of importance on a Tour player's score.

So it's a bit of 'here's what I have found, here's my line of thinking and here's how the players ranked.'  Hope you understand.

RH

#7 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Vindog, on 15 November 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Pretty cool stuff.

Translating these findings to the amateur game is very very helpful.   Keep doing that, because otherwise to me, it's just another set of pros' stats, reminding me how much I stink.

Thanks Vindog.

Part of the issue with the first article on Danger Zone play is that the higher the handicap gets, DZ play becomes less important while driving becomes more important.  Plus, the distance range for DZ play changes as a golfer is playing shorter courses.

Part of what I'm doing now is introducing my what I do and my concepts.  So as time goes along, we can start to go from the introductory phase and more to how golfers can apply it to their own game.

RH

#8 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2396

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

To be honest... the Total driving stat and the Driving distance stat have been mulled over here as being grossly misrepresenting, depending on who you talk to.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#9 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Vindog, on 15 November 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

To be honest... the Total driving stat and the Driving distance stat have been mulled over here as being grossly misrepresenting, depending on who you talk to.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has felt this way about total driving.

First, driving distance is a bit of a unique metric.  While it doesn't quite represent how far these guys hit the ball, I have found that in the case of driving distance, you can get a better representation by looking at the rankings.  I utilize a complex statistical model, but the for the average person they can just look at the rankings and see that while Lee Westwood 'only' hits it about 6 yards further off the tee than Jeff Overton, the difference in ranking (28th vs. 68th) does represent that Westwood can outdrive Overton a fair amount of the time.  You can also look at clubhead speed which is posted on the PGATour.com Web site http://www.pgatour.c...ats/info/?02401

Although with clubhead speed, if a golfer hits more with an upward attack angle, they can hit it further than a golfer with a downward attack angle.  Typically though, clubhead speed is a larger determining factor than attack angle.

Anyway, while I am sure that many people have spotted the flaws in Total Driving, you would be surprised how many Tour players use that metric to gauge their ability off the tee.  In fact, I usually hear that metric being used in NBC telecasts and on The Golf Channel as the way to gauge a golfer's driving ability.

RH

#10 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

I have always thought that the Total Driving stat was lacking, due to the fact that proximity to the fairway was not taken into consideration. I wonder if you could tweak it even further to consider shots that end in the first cut versus the deep rough.

Thanks for the articles. I am finding them very interesting.

Edited by mwkbmw, 15 November 2012 - 10:51 AM.

TaylorMade SLDR 9.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Nickent 4DX 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

mwkbmw, on 15 November 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

I have always thought that the Total Driving stat was lacking, due to the fact that proximity to the fairway was not taken into consideration. I wonder if you could tweak it even further to consider shots that end in the first cut versus the deep rough.

I wish I could do that, but there is no metric for first cuts, intermediate, deep rough, etc.

I have some ideas of how to increase the accuracy of depicting a Tour golfer's skill, but it would take a lot of resources that I don't have.

However, I believe that the Avg. Distance to the Edge of the Fairway does a decent job of representing golfers who are hitting shots in the first cut of rough versus the intermediate and deep rough.  It would help explain why it has a strong mathematical correlation to par-4 and par-5 scoring averages than fairway percentage.

RH

#12 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

RichieHunt, on 15 November 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

mwkbmw, on 15 November 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

I wish I could do that, but there is no metric for first cuts, intermediate, deep rough, etc.

I have some ideas of how to increase the accuracy of depicting a Tour golfer's skill, but it would take a lot of resources that I don't have.

However, I believe that the Avg. Distance to the Edge of the Fairway does a decent job of representing golfers who are hitting shots in the first cut of rough versus the intermediate and deep rough.  It would help explain why it has a strong mathematical correlation to par-4 and par-5 scoring averages than fairway percentage.

RH

I agree 100%.  I do not track actual proximity to the fairway (too difficult to do while playing), but I try to notate a general indication of the severity of my miss.

Thanks again!
TaylorMade SLDR 9.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Nickent 4DX 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

#13 shakey

shakey

Broiled at the Oven

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60434
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 486

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

Either way, Mahan is good.
CT 2.0 11.5 w/Elements Chrome 6F5T
VR LTD 3 w/Diamana Ahina 70 S
CT 1.0 3 (21) Hyb w/KK Silver 80 S
VRS Forged 4-P w/NS Pro Prototype S
VR Forged Raw 52/58 w/Modus 120 S
Method Milled 11 Oven Proto

#14 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

shakey, on 15 November 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

Either way, Mahan is good.

Yes because his Average Distance ot the Edge of the Fairway is not too far off from his fairway percentage.  He is routinely one of the best drivers on Tour, year after year.  But he's another example of a player who hits it great off the tee, but is much less effective in the Danger Zone (175-225 yard shots).  He's usually very average on DZ shots.  But off the tee, he is very effective and doesn't exactly bomb it either.

RH

#15 Jamboy72

Jamboy72