Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Anyone tried online golf lessons?

Golf Lessons Video Golf Lessons Online Video Golf Lessons

46 replies to this topic

#31 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211207
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostKILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE, on 15 November 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Used Golf Channels Swing Fix as a second opinion and I was pleased with the Pro and his analysis. The breakdown of the swing video was thorough and the recommendations were easy to implement. The follow up conversations were helpful and the drills suggested reinforced his opinion.

Thanks I'll check them out.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 grizztrax

grizztrax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210787
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think SwingFix thru Golf Channel has buy one get one free thru the end of Nov.  That is 15 bucks per lesson.  I've done a couple with them and had mixed results.  I would highly recommend Jim Williams if you do go that route.  He has several videos on the site so you can see if he fits your style of learning.  I thought he was spot on with his analysis of my swing and gave me drills to fix things I knew I was doing wrong, but could not figure out how to fix.  Don't expect a life changing swing epiphany, the analysis is about 6-8 minutes long, with a couple of attached video drills to work on your faults.  I think you would have to string a few of these together so the instructor can view your progress with the changes before you would see significant improvement.  Not a substitute for in-person lessons with a good pro, but a cheaper and valuable method to get some feedback on your swing, IMO.

#33 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

not sure but would be fun to start a thread where people could post not just the video of their swing but the actual analysis from another instructor. i know i learn by watching others swings.
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#34 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 16 November 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

I'm curious about the different teaching styles or opinions from online swing instructors. Monte mentioned he differs in philosophy from another instructor. I'm wondering, from recent instructors online such as Clements or others mentioned, what are the differences in style or main differences in swing methods compared to other popular instructors.

What are the different philosophies regarding swing. I know S&T is one method, but can anyone provide list of the online teacher or WRX member/instructor and list their prefered method.

Monte -
S. Clements -
Chuck Martin -
Russc -
etc
ME-"All you do is to regurgitate someone else'ideas.The value you provide is absolutely zero,because  anyone with  an internet connection can look up old Slicefixer posts and get that  information  without the  pompous attitude you bring to stumbling through something that you don't understand"   ---from someone who  obviously knows me well.
Monte  -more big muscle pivot oriented -clear cut simple explanations and suggestions
Martin Chuck -somewhat similar to Monte with a little more emphasis  on TGM concepts like training your hands-again simple clear cut suggestions
Iteach-more of an S+t influence ,but not S+t.Pivot oriented
Cbrian- even more of an S+t influence .i believe that he teaches  with Evolver and 5 keys.
Mkpga-larger muscles -more of a Slicefixer influence
Jim Waldron-more of a whole body teacher -tries to integrate more psychological learning techniques into his teaching
Golfsavvy-More whole body kind of like JIm.understands the limits of focusing on technique
MDP155-large muscle pivot oriented
Kev Carter -successful results oriented instructor more of a TGM influence

Sean Clement -not very familiar with his ideas,because  every time that i  watch his videos i get dizzy from his up and down motion
If i have left out anyone ,please tell me

If

Edited by russc, 16 November 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#35 grizztrax

grizztrax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210787
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

Hey Russc, I'm new to the site, trying to find your 4166 post in the 9 to 3 drill.  I've been wandering aimlessly in the forums trying to figure out how to get there.  Little help?

#36 CSagan

CSagan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128909
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

http://www.golfwrx.c...40#entry3579624

#37 TeeAce

TeeAce

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61680
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

I have tried those also... and from different side as an instructor.

I felt too much was missing there and stopped doing that. I felt more misleading than progress when you can't check if people understood correctly what I meant.

Videos with 2D distortion... damn... I was able to see whatever and never really could tell if there is progress or not. Bit different camera angle made it on plane or off plane. I couldn't see what happened in reality etc....   That's also the reason I don't usually comment any swing videos at forums except some details that I've learned to see.

#38 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211207

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

View Postgrizztrax, on 16 November 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

I think SwingFix thru Golf Channel has buy one get one free thru the end of Nov.  That is 15 bucks per lesson.  I've done a couple with them and had mixed results.  I would highly recommend Jim Williams if you do go that route.  He has several videos on the site so you can see if he fits your style of learning.  I thought he was spot on with his analysis of my swing and gave me drills to fix things I knew I was doing wrong, but could not figure out how to fix.  Don't expect a life changing swing epiphany, the analysis is about 6-8 minutes long, with a couple of attached video drills to work on your faults.  I think you would have to string a few of these together so the instructor can view your progress with the changes before you would see significant improvement.  Not a substitute for in-person lessons with a good pro, but a cheaper and valuable method to get some feedback on your swing, IMO.

Thanks for your comments seems a few people have had some good results with them, I'll check them out.

#39 Curly Sue

Curly Sue

Sue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212247
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

My in-person golf lessons were just too difficult, I never got past slicing the ball off the tee. I tried a few golf instruction DVDs including Natural Golf, Over the Top Golf and Stack and Tilt which were all more helpful than anything golf pros tried to teach me.

#40 TeeAce

TeeAce

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61680
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

View PostCurly Sue, on 21 November 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

My in-person golf lessons were just too difficult, I never got past slicing the ball off the tee. I tried a few golf instruction DVDs including Natural Golf, Over the Top Golf and Stack and Tilt which were all more helpful than anything golf pros tried to teach me.

As looking your avatar I can understand that it has been pretty hard also for teachers to concentrate ;)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 Cmartingolf

Cmartingolf

Martin Chuck - Tour Striker Golf Academy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71538
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 16 November 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

I'm curious about the different teaching styles or opinions from online swing instructors. Monte mentioned he differs in philosophy from another instructor. I'm wondering, from recent instructors online such as Clements or others mentioned, what are the differences in style or main differences in swing methods compared to other popular instructors.

What are the different philosophies regarding swing. I know S&T is one method, but can anyone provide list of the online teacher or WRX member/instructor and list their prefered method.

Monte -
S. Clements -
Chuck Martin -
Russc -
etc

Hello Hoosier, Martin Chuck here...yeah, my name gets flipped around every day:) What do I teach? Clubface/Path/Power Source.

Clubface: grip and more importantly, wrist conditions during the swing
Path: what kind of curve do you want AFTER the face determines where the ball will start. Yes, you need a curve, straight is too hard to reproduce. Path is also greatly effected by where your weight is dynamically during your swing motion. Generally, more left on the foundation of the feet = rightward path, more right on the foundation of the feet = more leftward path.
Power source: any decent player can stand on one foot and hit a ball 80-85% of their stock distance with any club. That distance comes from the effective swinging of the arms/shoulders/upper torso. The balance of the power comes from successfully use of the ground to accelerate the aforementioned.

Do I have my preferences on how I like things to look? Absolutely. Will I try and force a person into that? No. The club provides the info to the ball and as long as that is repetitive and reliable, little else matters.

#42 MDP1555

MDP1555

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165719
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Martin mentioned something that is worth further conversation. During lessons with most any pro, early on will put a student into positions they don't normally achieve. Too often a student will take this as meaning that this absolute position that they feel the pro intends must be achieved. But as often as it is a position that is desirable it also a position that will give the pro info about leverage, weight transfer or even just to see where the students natural motion takes them from a given fundamental position. Students too often feel this pro is trying to change what I do too much and I will never get it. Once this happens they stop being students and are just lost and frustrated manikins standing on the practice tee and seldom comeback for follow up sessions

As I have stated many times a single lesson with a new student seldom yield significant results. 30-45-60-90 min is too little time for the pro to see and understand the existing mechanics a new student brings to the table; more less formulate a plan to help the student. So very often the first lesson is about evaluation. This evaluation requires seeing what the student does from a given fundamental positions.

I will admit I would probably be a relative poor video lesson instructor. I like hands on. I'm very personal in my instruction and probably would be terrible via video and email.

Edited by MDP1555, 21 November 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#43 Bristol_golfer

Bristol_golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132078

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Mark Crossfield (UK based) seems to have a niche for this medium of instruction.

#44 mpedro

mpedro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100936

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

I have tried both online lessons and lessons in person.   My last online lesson was from Monte and I was very pleased with the feedback he provided.

What I do like about online lessons, is that I have a good reference to go back to.  So, if a online lessons tells me to work on these 3 items, as I work on the 3 items I keep referring back to my online lessone and video to see how I am improving on a certain move.

#45 Curly Sue

Curly Sue

Sue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212247

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

View PostTeeAce, on 21 November 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

View PostCurly Sue, on 21 November 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

As looking your avatar I can understand that it has been pretty hard also for teachers to concentrate ;)

That's funny but I don't play golf wearing a bathing suit

#46 Left Hook

Left Hook

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64964
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

I've used evolvr with good results http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/ they were very good about answering my questions.

#47 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Problems and advantages of online instruction
Advantages
1 Larger number of available instructors ,some of whom have a national reputation
2.the discussion can focus on a very few areas

Disadvantages
1.it is important that video be shot at the correct angles.The best pros that I know use leveling technology when they take videos during a lesson.Most amateurs do not use such technology
2.A pro can give you immediate feedback.and can see if you understand his suggestions right away.Online suggestions can easily be misinterpretated. and will not be clarified until an email or the next session..
3 a pro can place you in the correct position so that you can feel the proper position.

Everyone is different .Some golfers do great with online sessions ,while others need much more hands -on instruction.

many instructors  who do online sessions have  websites or have not been shy in revealing what the focus of their instruction has been with other golfers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors