Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Anyone tried online golf lessons?

Golf Lessons Video Golf Lessons Online Video Golf Lessons

46 replies to this topic

#1 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211207
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

Firstly this is my first time posting on here so hello everyone. I’m trying to find out opinions on online video golf lessons from people who have tried them, what were you experiences etc. I’m a decent golfer who has taken one to one lessons but I feel I have got to the point where if I can pay about half the price and still get one or two main pointers and drills from a video lesson then it would be worth doing that instead?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

View Postforeeee, on 15 November 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

online video golf lessons
What does that mean ?
You video your swing and upload it .... and they send something back ?

#3 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

There are pros and cons of internet video instruction.The  pros  are the availibility of a  pool of instructors outside your geographical area,with  a diverse method of teaching.Some of them are well known and well respected.
The cons are really the medium itself .When you are  filming  a video,you need to be careful as to the angles that you filming from.Videos shot at angles that deviate from straight on or straight in back and /or at  the wrong height can sometimes yield deceptive results.There is also  the problem of misunderstanding a pros suggestions.During a 1 to 1 in person session misunderstandings can be quickly corrected by the pro who can  show you what he wants you to do.This may take a few on line sessions to correct.This problem can be partially offset by pros who teach using real time Skype sessions,but there  are currently technological problems of blurring with most webcams during motions such as golf swing.There is also the lack of  ball flight information
If you are not happy with your current in person instruction,then you might give online video lessons a try.There are a number of Golfwrx pros who are active posters , give online video anaylsis and  understand the golf swing  well.

#4 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

View PostSunkTheBirdie, on 15 November 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

online video golf lessons
What does that mean ?
You video your swing and upload it .... and they send something back ?
Yes

#5 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Used Golf Channels Swing Fix as a second opinion and I was pleased with the Pro and his analysis. The breakdown of the swing video was thorough and the recommendations were easy to implement. The follow up conversations were helpful and the drills suggested reinforced his opinion.

Edited by KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE, 15 November 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#6 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

View Postrussc, on 15 November 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

There are pros and cons of internet video instruction.The  pros  are the availibility of a  pool of instructors outside your geographical area,with  a diverse method of teaching.Some of them are well known and well respected.
The cons are really the medium itself .When you are  filming  a video,you need to be careful as to the angles that you filming from.Videos shot at angles that deviate from straight on or straight in back and /or at  the wrong height can sometimes yield deceptive results.There is also  the problem of misunderstanding a pros suggestions.During a 1 to 1 in person session misunderstandings can be quickly corrected by the pro who can  show you what he wants you to do.This may take a few on line sessions to correct.This problem can be partially offset by pros who teach using real time Skype sessions,but there  are currently technological problems of blurring with most webcams during motions such as golf swing.There is also the lack of  ball flight information
If you are not happy with your current in person instruction,then you might give online video lessons a try.There are a number of Golfwrx pros who are active posters , give online video anaylsis and  understand the golf swing  well.

Thanks for your reply russc, I understand there are pros and cons to online golf lessons compared with one to one lessons and maybe if you were a beginner needing a lot of corrections on grip, stance, posture etc. then I could see how a one to one lesson would be more beneficial. My thought was more along the lines of the cheaper price and the fact whether I go to someone in person or a pro online can see my swing in slo mo and detail they will be able to determine what is best to change technically also I suppose I could go into more detail with the online pro what my usual ball flight was and bad shots are etc.

#7 Man In The Miura

Man In The Miura

Heee heee heee!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97915
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

To me it's a little like the learning to paint by mail idea, or online college etc.  Easy money for the provider.

#8 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostKILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE, on 15 November 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Used Golf Channels Swing Fix as a second opinion and I was pleased with the Pro and his analysis. The breakdown of the swing video was thorough and the recommendations were easy to implement. The follow up conversations were helpful and the drills suggested reinforced his opinion.

Thanks I will check them out, sounds like online lessons do have there uses. I suppose its about how good the pro is and also I can imagine how good the quailty of the video's you upload.

#9 exgolfpro

exgolfpro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45140
  • Ebay ID:exgolfpro
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Firstly this is my first time posting on here so hello everyone. I’m trying to find out opinions on online video golf lessons from people who have tried them, what were you experiences etc. I’m a decent golfer who has taken one to one lessons but I feel I have got to the point where if I can pay about half the price and still get one or two main pointers and drills from a video lesson then it would be worth doing that instead?

Hello back.  Yes, I have used them and probably will continue to do so.  I am a 1 hdcp golfer that has hovered around this number for 30 years.  About 2 yrs ago, I realized that if I was ever going to improve, I needed to learn to hit more greens (I only average about 55%).  Last year, I did two lessons with Kelvin Miyahira.   He is in Hawaii and I am in Missouri.  I like his teachings and my brain works like his does.  I would say that my experience has been mostly successful.  I send him video, he attaches video of his own (of tour pros) that demonstrate his point and points out where we differ.  He has found stuff that I would never ever find on my own.

I guess what I like about them is, I don't worry about having to perform the action in front of the teacher and either being successful or not.  I can learn the move on my own at my own pace.

#10 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

View Postexgolfpro, on 15 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

Hello back.  Yes, I have used them and probably will continue to do so.  I am a 1 hdcp golfer that has hovered around this number for 30 years.  About 2 yrs ago, I realized that if I was ever going to improve, I needed to learn to hit more greens (I only average about 55%).  Last year, I did two lessons with Kelvin Miyahira.   He is in Hawaii and I am in Missouri.  I like his teachings and my brain works like his does.  I would say that my experience has been mostly successful.  I send him video, he attaches video of his own (of tour pros) that demonstrate his point and points out where we differ.  He has found stuff that I would never ever find on my own.

I guess what I like about them is, I don't worry about having to perform the action in front of the teacher and either being successful or not.  I can learn the move on my own at my own pace.

Thanks for your reply, that's a good point about being able to learn at your own pace as I myself like to have one or two main things to work on after a lesson whilst hitting balls at the range.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 887

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I do some online lessons and have seen some big improvements and certainly some struggle to fully grasp the ideas. It's very dependant on how you learn and your ability.

#12 cardoustie

cardoustie

-24 in a 2 man scramble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
GolfWRX Likes : 978

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

I have spoke to both iteach and Monte online and they are both great and full of knowledge
Ping Rapture V2 SPDR-660tr X
Rapture V2 4w 17*, 660TR Kamo X
Ping G25h 20* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping G25h 23* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping s55 5-PW. Aldila Tour Proto 125 X
TVD M sm2 53* & 59*,  64.07 sm2
WITB Link

#13 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

View Postiteachgolf, on 15 November 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

I do some online lessons and have seen some big improvements and certainly some struggle to fully grasp the ideas. It's very dependant on how you learn and your ability.

I can imagine that is the case. From your experience what % of golfers would you say suited online lessons and do you think they are best suited for people like me who are looking to mainly improve swing mechanics?

#14 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 887

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'd say 80-90% like it and improve. In person would be better, but it's cheaper and more convenient for people not local to me to do them online.

#15 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

i'd say that in person with the proper instructor would be best but like you said, price wise, online is not a bad way to go if you're looking for a different opinion from a single lesson. also, it doesn't hurt to give a lesson a try as its usually not expensive.

swingfix has a lot of quality instructors so you're not just throwing money away. i'd say most people who have an understanding of the swing could benefit from a few points of advice given through online instructor. someone just starting or picking up the game might need a little more personal hands on instruction.

Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#16 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

This is not an advertisement for a specific person,but try one of the pros who have contributed so much to this site.As an amateur who knows a little about the swing,I have come to respect a number of them ,even though we do not always agree.And unlike a completely different website,you can read through their posts to see which one fits your needs the best.

#17 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

View Postforeeee, on 15 November 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

I can imagine that is the case. From your experience what % of golfers would you say suited online lessons and do you think they are best suited for people like me who are looking to mainly improve swing mechanics?
Upload it here. See what people say.
If you like a certain person's tips .... sign up for some online lessons with them.

#18 cbrian

cbrian

5SK DoI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53473
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I've been working for Evolvr for a while now and I'd agree with what Dan (Iteach) has said. Most people make pretty good progress; some get it faster than others though. And you also have a small group that struggles. However, I find that to be true with in person instruction as well.

Also, I think the online lesson process is unique in that it can encourage the student to take ownership of their game.

#19 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

yes i have taken several. but i also combine them with a visit to the pro every now and then. ive had really good luck

#20 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 2505

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

In person is definitely better than online.

However, online instruction from someone who knows what they are talking about is better than in person from someone who doesn't.

I would rather take an online lesson from iteach or cbrian than almost anyone I know of in southern califnornia.  The best complement I can give another instructor (and I said this about Dana Dalquist the other day when asked about him)...

"The worst thing I can say about him is we differ in philosophy."

No two teachers will think the same and no one teacher will work for everyone.

Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Cmartingolf

Cmartingolf

Martin Chuck - Tour Striker Golf Academy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71538
GolfWRX Likes : 185

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

If you are interested, I offer online lessons: http://tourstrikergo...nline-coaching.

If you don't feel like the information is spot on, don' pay:) Simple as that...

#22 QCart

QCart

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132576
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 15 November 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

However, online instruction from someone who knows what they are talking about is better than in person from someone who doesn't.

I would rather take an online lesson from iteach or cbrian than almost anyone I know of in southern califnornia.  The best complement I can give another instructor (and I said this about Dana Dalquist the other day when asked about him)...

Monte:

I've been interested in purchasing an online lesson from you for quite some time.  You're video's and post are very easy to understand and helpful.  Sh*t.......as many video's and post I've read of yours I almost feel like I'm almost stealing!  I've read your blog and instrusctions (and understand it) on how to submit one, but my question is.....should I shoot the video with my IPad, or would it be better if I shot it with my Casio EX-FH100?  Also, I noticed that Firefox works the best, as you mention on your blog.  Will I be able to upload/view the lesson using an IPad?  If not, no worries, just seems that I rarely get on a regular computer these days.  FYI, just purchased the lesson a second ago, please no Auburn jokes......aren't we a big enough one already?  Thanks, and looking forward to it!

#23 coops

coops

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17659
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

I think it's ideal when you can also pay occasional visits to the same instructor - even better if you start off with a personal lesson, then continue with video updates/lessons with further occasional visit every other month (?) or so.... this may be better than weekly lessons in person - as it'll give you time to practice and make the changes needed, and the video lessons can be the easy/best way of ensuring you're still on the correct path while saving you time and money overall.

I went to see Dan Whittaker for that reason, since I'm keen to go down that swing style route and keep it going by video lessons... as i'm not local to Altrincham, to say the least.

#24 QCart

QCart

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132576
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

View PostCmartingolf, on 16 November 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

Firstly this is my first time posting on here so hello everyone. Iím trying to find out opinions on online video golf lessons from people who have tried them, what were you experiences etc. Iím a decent golfer who has taken one to one lessons but I feel I have got to the point where if I can pay about half the price and still get one or two main pointers and drills from a video lesson then it would be worth doing that instead?

If you are interested, I offer online lessons: http://tourstrikergo...nline-coaching.

Just came up with a great idea......I think!  

Martin:

I just purchased an online lesson from you as well, I know, I've lost it!  But I respect both of your instruction, and I think it will be really cool to send the same video's to each of you and see what each of you come up with.  Now the good part is that golf season is almost over, so at least I won't  have but maybe another round or two to freeze over the golf ball because of information overload!  Currently, I'm a 7 handicap, been playing since I was 10 (38 years old now).  Lowest handicap I've ever held is a 3, but it has been since I was 18.  Looking forward to it guys!  This is going to be fun!!

P.S.
It's not my intention in doing this to make any sort of competition out of this, and I'm not planning on coming on here and saying who I think is better or not (what do I know, I'm know expert in golf instruction).  I'm doing this purely for fun for myself, and will thoroughly enjoy getting feedback from both of you!  Just wanted to clarify.

Edited by QCart, 16 November 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#25 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 2505

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

View PostQCart, on 16 November 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

Monte:

I've been interested in purchasing an online lesson from you for quite some time.  You're video's and post are very easy to understand and helpful.  Sh*t.......as many video's and post I've read of yours I almost feel like I'm almost stealing!  I've read your blog and instrusctions (and understand it) on how to submit one, but my question is.....should I shoot the video with my IPad, or would it be better if I shot it with my Casio EX-FH100?  Also, I noticed that Firefox works the best, as you mention on your blog.  Will I be able to upload/view the lesson using an IPad?  If not, no worries, just seems that I rarely get on a regular computer these days.  FYI, just purchased the lesson a second ago, please no Auburn jokes......aren't we a big enough one already?  Thanks, and looking forward to it!

Any video is fine.  

I hope when you guys get rid of Chizik, you don't come after Mora.

Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#26 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 15 November 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

i'd say that in person with the proper instructor would be best but like you said, price wise, online is not a bad way to go if you're looking for a different opinion from a single lesson. also, it doesn't hurt to give a lesson a try as its usually not expensive.

swingfix has a lot of quality instructors so you're not just throwing money away. i'd say most people who have an understanding of the swing could benefit from a few points of advice given through online instructor. someone just starting or picking up the game might need a little more personal hands on instruction.

I think your right, seems like a one to one lesson every so often with online lessons inbetween is a good option.

#27 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

View Postprsgtrman, on 15 November 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

yes i have taken several. but i also combine them with a visit to the pro every now and then. ive had really good luck

Sounds like a good way to go about taking lessons.

#28 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I'm curious about the different teaching styles or opinions from online swing instructors. Monte mentioned he differs in philosophy from another instructor. I'm wondering, from recent instructors online such as Clements or others mentioned, what are the differences in style or main differences in swing methods compared to other popular instructors.

What are the different philosophies regarding swing. I know S&T is one method, but can anyone provide list of the online teacher or WRX member/instructor and list their prefered method.

Monte -
S. Clements -
Chuck Martin -
Russc -
etc
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#29 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for your points, I will have a look around on here and online and see what I come across.

#30 foreeee

foreeee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostCmartingolf, on 16 November 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

Thanks I'll take a look and do a little shopping around and see what I find.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors