Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

jim furyk and 5 hour energy

72 replies to this topic

#31 gphin305

gphin305

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78726
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

View Postmukster, on 15 November 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

IIRC, 5 Hour Energy has approx. the same caffeine as one large (500ml.) cup of coffee. The rest of the stuff in there is (according to the interwebs)
  • Niacin 30 mg — 150% of the RDA
  • Vitamin B6 40 mg — 2000% of the RDA
  • Folic acid 400 mg — 100% of the RDA
  • Vitamin B12  500 mcg — 8333% of the RDA
  • Energy blend: taurine, glucuronic acid, malic acid, N-acetyl L tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, caffeine, and citicoline. Total amount of blend: 1870 mg. The caffeine content is not specified on the label, but it is supposedly comparable to a cup of the leading premium coffee.
Doubt that any of that will kill you any worse than chugging back two cups of java before a round. It also seems that it does not do much more than drinking two cups of java before the round. Most of those B vitamins (water soluble) will end up in the bush next to the 4th tee when you take the first leak.

I personally wonder if Jim in fact actually "uses the product".

Some great comments here.....and funny ones as well.....as I expected.  My only reason for posting was energy drinks have got a lot of bad press in recent months......not just 5Hour (Red Bull, Monster,Rockstar, etc) and have been directly related to many deaths (mostly teenagers and 20 somethings) and visits to hospital emergency rooms......and is becoming a very recognized hot topic in the medical community.  Even Living Essentials, the parent who sells this stuff refuses to call it an energy drink (to avoid the relationship) and uses the term "energy shot".  They also refuse to identify the amount of caffeine in the drink claiming "about the same" as a cup of coffee when actually it has about 60% more (207mg) according to a test by Consumer Reports.  There is something wrong when a company refuses to identify all of it's ingredients. With the PGA's constant promotion of getting kids (who like to mix this stuff with alcohol  and have no clue about the dangers) involved in the sport where this product is having the most danger (I have no problem with adults using responsibly), just seems an odd partnership to me.  I always thought Furyk was a pretty classy guy and strange he can't find another sponsor to put on his hat.  Just seems odd he's promoting a product that has a much bigger audience in maybe a sport like dirt biking.  Wonder if he allows his kids to drink it (and yes, there have been reports about parents giving it to 7 year olds). Anyway, enjoyed reading the responses.....case closed.

Edited by gphin305, 15 November 2012 - 11:00 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 ej002

ej002

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27552
GolfWRX Likes : 496

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

View Postlumberman2462, on 15 November 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Every morning I stop in a convenience store to get my morning coffee.  3 days out of 5 there is a guy there that gets a large cup of coffee and pours it about 1/2 full and adds a handful of sugar packets - he then goes to the counter and adds TWO of those 5 Hour Energy things in the coffee......uses it kinda like creamer.  I guess.  I've always wanted to follow him for an hour or so and see if he's bouncing off the walls of his office.

Awesome.

#33 CheckJV

CheckJV

Male Model

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93640
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Too much water will kill you as well.  Everything is toxic to the human body, it is just a matter of dose.

#34 mukster

mukster

The fairway is great!

• 1,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48549
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Here is my idea for a better product, it is called "5 Gallon Energy"

If you are going to do it, do it properly.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5GallonEnergy.jpg

#35 bcflyguy1

bcflyguy1

Well then I guess I can skip it...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120229
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

13 deaths linked to the stuff isn't what scares me.  Here is what does:

1. A snap-hooked 3 wood at crunch time in the US Open.
2. Putter going off like a shotgun on 18th green at Firestone.
3. Putter again going off like a shotgun at the Ryder Cup.

Sure makes you want to go use the "energy drink" he endorses.  Yes, can I please suddenly get the jittering gags when my match is on the line?  No thanks. :slow_en:

Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right.
WITB Link

#36 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2448

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

View Postgphin305, on 15 November 2012 - 10:57 AM, said:

Some great comments here.....and funny ones as well.....as I expected.  My only reason for posting was energy drinks have got a lot of bad press in recent months......not just 5Hour (Red Bull, Monster,Rockstar, etc) and have been directly related to many deaths (mostly teenagers and 20 somethings) and visits to hospital emergency rooms......and is becoming a very recognized hot topic in the medical community.  Even Living Essentials, the parent who sells this stuff refuses to call it an energy drink (to avoid the relationship) and uses the term "energy shot".  They also refuse to identify the amount of caffeine in the drink claiming "about the same" as a cup of coffee when actually it has about 60% more (207mg) according to a test by Consumer Reports.  There is something wrong when a company refuses to identify all of it's ingredients. With the PGA's constant promotion of getting kids (who like to mix this stuff with alcohol  and have no clue about the dangers) involved in the sport where this product is having the most danger (I have no problem with adults using responsibly), just seems an odd partnership to me.  I always thought Furyk was a pretty classy guy and strange he can't find another sponsor to put on his hat.  Just seems odd he's promoting a product that has a much bigger audience in maybe a sport like dirt biking.  Wonder if he allows his kids to drink it (and yes, there have been reports about parents giving it to 7 year olds). Anyway, enjoyed reading the responses.....case closed.

I'm falling short of linking Furyk or the PGA tour to promotion of death.

I know what you're trying to get at, but I just think it's a bit of a reach.  Is it the product, or is it irresponsibility?

Edited by Vindog, 15 November 2012 - 11:50 AM.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#37 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 547

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Furyk doesn

View Postbcflyguy1, on 15 November 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Sure makes you want to go use the "energy drink" he endorses.  Yes, can I please suddenly get the jittering gags when my match is on the line?  No thanks. :slow_en:

Furyk doesn't use the product. I can tell from the commercials that he is lying when he talks about how great it is. He looks like a guy does just before a prostate exam. Uncomfortable, maybe? He never convinced me that he really believes in the product.
TaylorMade SLDR 9.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Nickent 4DX 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

#38 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2463

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

View Postmwkbmw, on 15 November 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Furyk doesn

Furyk doesn't use the product. I can tell from the commercials that he is lying when he talks about how great it is. He looks like a guy does just before a prostate exam. Uncomfortable, maybe? He never convinced me that he really believes in the product.

I agree. I think Jim is about as sincere with his endorsement of 5HE as he was regarding his love he had for the Penta.

But this whole notion that he is somehow promoting death because of what his hat says is ridiculous. Like someone else said, Tiger used to be sponsored by Buick. Do you have any idea how many people have died in buicks in the last 20 years?
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#39 dmbgolfer

dmbgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68216
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Not only has it been linked to 13 deaths, but it is also a choking hazard.

You see what I did there?

Edited by dmbgolfer, 15 November 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#40 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,815 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

View Postdmbgolfer, on 15 November 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

Not only has it been linked to 13 deaths, but it is also a choking hazard.

You see what I did there?

+1 for the quip

-2 for not letting it marinate for a bit

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 bcflyguy1

bcflyguy1

Well then I guess I can skip it...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120229
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 15 November 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Furyk doesn

I agree. I think Jim is about as sincere with his endorsement of 5HE as he was regarding his love he had for the Penta.

But this whole notion that he is somehow promoting death because of what his hat says is ridiculous. Like someone else said, Tiger used to be sponsored by Buick. Do you have any idea how many people have died in buicks in the last 20 years?

Should clarify that I don't believe he actually uses the product either.  It's a good thing he can play golf like he does, because he'd struggle to sell water in the middle of the Sahara.  However, I'm sure the people at 5HE were cringing at the moments I mentioned.
Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right.
WITB Link

#42 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2463

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

View Postbcflyguy1, on 15 November 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostKYMAR, on 15 November 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Furyk doesn

Should clarify that I don't believe he actually uses the product either.  It's a good thing he can play golf like he does, because he'd struggle to sell water in the middle of the Sahara.  However, I'm sure the people at 5HE were cringing at the moments I mentioned.

Can you imagine how twitchy those execs were at the RC? After watching him melt down at the US open, and his oh no's! There is vomit all over my shoes! finish at Firestone they must have been 50/50 whether they wanted him on TV at all. I am sure they were thinking "THANK GOD he can't wear our hat at the RC!"
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#43 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,815 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...orts.html?_r=2

I feel as if we should have at least one article for reference's sake.
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#44 Matty T

Matty T

Keen to give it a pump

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193348
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:mtheobald-us
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

What a lot of people don't realize is most of these deaths that occured are partially due to underlying heart conditions, and the high dose of caffeine puts quite a bit of stress on the heart when too much is ingested in a short period.
Titleist 910D3 10.5* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910F 15* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910H 21* VTS Red 100X
Adams CMB 3-P, SM4 50.12* DG X100's
54.11*, 58.08* DG S400
Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport 2
WITB Link

#45 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,815 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Also I don't know if the FDA has "linked" 5he to the deaths.  In fact in the article it says that it hasn't, however, they (and other energy drinks) are mentioned

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#46 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostVindog, on 15 November 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Also I don't know if the FDA has "linked" 5he to the deaths.  In fact in the article it says that it hasn't, however, they (and other energy drinks) are mentioned

Could be the bath salts they took with the energy drinks but the article conveniently leaves that part out.

#47 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,815 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 15 November 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Could be the bath salts they took with the energy drinks but the article conveniently leaves that part out.

http://www.urbandict...m=Butt Chugging

Edited by Vindog, 15 November 2012 - 01:55 PM.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#48 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
GolfWRX Likes : 700

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

View PostVindog, on 15 November 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

View PostLlortamaisey, on 15 November 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

http://www.urbandict...m=Butt Chugging

Does that really work? Sounds like I have homework this weekend.

#49 Ping_Ho

Ping_Ho

Picture Perfect

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130853
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Kevin Na should come up with energy shot called 7 hour energy

#50 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,069 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 962

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostLlortamaisey, on 15 November 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

I wouldn't get a hard on about it. Viagra/Cialis kills more people per year and they still do plenty of advertising in golf and on the tour.

The real problem is why doesn't someone come up with a 6 hour energy? That's a 1/4 of the day. Seems more appropriate to me. Plus it's one hour more than 5. You could sell it for the same price so it's like getting one hour for free.
"cause a round of golf now takes 5 hours, maybe.....just a thought....

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
R7 3w stock stiff
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
R7 Draw 5 - AW stock stiff graphite
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,069 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 962

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostMatty T, on 15 November 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

What a lot of people don't realize is most of these deaths that occured are partially due to underlying heart conditions, and the high dose of caffeine puts quite a bit of stress on the heart when too much is ingested in a short period.
Yeah, can you imagine what a cocktail of Cialis, 5he and nitro glycerin could do to a guy?
R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
R7 3w stock stiff
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
R7 Draw 5 - AW stock stiff graphite
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#52 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 2281

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Tragic.

And if the label does not accurately describe what and how much of "what" is in it, that is bad.

But,caffiene (sp) is not some sort of regulated substance, I don't think.

People need to be aware of what they are consuming and their medical history.

Then again, IF it is determined that a reasonable person was not appropriately warned of what is in a product and the potential health risks

This company may find itself tested.

And Jim can endorse Rogaine!

#53 4thand11

4thand11

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97100
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Furyk is such a weird choice as spokesman for an energy drink... guy plays at a snail's pace and is about as exciting as watching paint dry... ambien would make more sense

#54 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• 3,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 459

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

A vet friend of mine told me that you can crash if you take a lot of B12, because it leaves pretty fast.  I don't know about the health issues, but it tastes like something made as a prank, and the aftertaste does indeed last longer than the advertised 5 hours.  I played in a tournament where it was given as an entry prize, and if it did anything for me, I couldn't tell.  Except for the aftertaste, which motivated me to drink a lot of water.

#55 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

yeah linking 5 hour energy to a death is like linking the cheeseburger they ate before they died to their death. its the 20 shots they decided to do that killed them.

#56 Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73232
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

http://www.5hourenergy.com/QandA.asp

Let's not pretend the product is 100% safe for everyone.  Even the makers have warnings and limitations listed.  It is not the same as a food allergy or "water overdose", which is silly.

#57 Break68

Break68

Obviously Your'e NOT a Golfer

• 494 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115957
  • Handicap:17.9
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

A guy at work drank a 5 Hour Energy one afternoon in the summer and he was bouncing off the walls. I wanted to slap him he was so annoying, he couldn't stop babbling and shaking.
Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5 Xcaliber 6 S
Callaway Fti Squareway 3w Xcaliber R
Wishon 775HS 3h Wishon GI335 S
Callaway X-22 4-pw Rifle FCM 6.0
SC Newport Detour 2.5
Maltby Tour Grind MG 52-56-60 Rifle

#58 scotee

scotee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69498
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

View Poststoverny, on 15 November 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

Furyk is such a weird choice as spokesman for an energy drink... guy plays at a snail's pace and is about as exciting as watching paint dry... ambien would make more sense

Exactly!

#59 straightshot7

straightshot7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66294
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

Why does Jim Furyk promote 5 Hour Energy you ask?

Because he has more energy, feels more energized, and he's not tired anymore!

#60 HackerVance

HackerVance

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151241
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

It seems that all of these pros will push anything for a price. I guess that's ok.  I don't have any problem with Furyk.  Yeah, he is prone to choking.  I'm sure that I would too.  But, he seems to be a bigger shill than most of the others.  I really expect to see him selling Shamwow or spray on rubber soon.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors