Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Handicap Questions-Posting Scores

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jhscott1

jhscott1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65378
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I have been given different answers by different playing golfers. I am currently a scratch golfer. The other day I made a 8 on a par 4, I shot a 76. When I was going to post my score my playing partner said I was to post a 74 because the highest score a scratch golfer can post is a double bogey. Is this true. I have also been told that the highest score a scratch golfer can post is a 6 no matter what par is on the hole. Need some clarification on this issue.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jwfgolfpro

jwfgolfpro

jwfgolfpro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13051
  • Ebay ID:jwfgolfpro
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

View Postjhscott1, on 14 November 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

I have been given different answers by different playing golfers. I am currently a scratch golfer. The other day I made a 8 on a par 4, I shot a 76. When I was going to post my score my playing partner said I was to post a 74 because the highest score a scratch golfer can post is a double bogey. Is this true. I have also been told that the highest score a scratch golfer can post is a 6 no matter what par is on the hole. Need some clarification on this issue.

Posted Image

#3 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

De oppresso liber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,978 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 624

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

View Postjhscott1, on 14 November 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Yes, but double bogey is max; same is true for us low single digit players.
SLDR TP 9.5 Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec D4
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Kaili 80 x5ct D4
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0 D2
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x or Hex Black Tour
SC California Monterey

#4 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1359

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

One of the many advantages of being a scratch golfer is only having to remember the first line of the ESC table. Double bogey.

#5 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

It might be obvious to some but for those it's not, that's the course handicap the table is based on, not the handicap index.  Now that will rarely (if ever?) make a difference for scratch players but it might for higher single digit HC'rs.

#6 bhj83

bhj83

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180138
  • Handicap:12.0
  • Ebay ID:jamisonhp02
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

Maybe I've been reading it wrong but I assumed that 7 for 10-19 meant the most I could post was a triple bogey. Does this really mean I can't post higher than a 7 on a par 5 but I would have to post a 7 on a par 3 if I scored 7 or higher?

#7 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

De oppresso liber

• Advanced Members
  • 10,978 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Yes... means max "7" on a par 3, 4 and 5.
ProV1x or Hex Black Tour
SC California Monterey

#8 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yeah - it never has made sense to me that I could post a quad for a blow-up on a par 3 but no worse than a double on a par 5.  Oh well.

#9 bhj83

bhj83

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180138
  • Handicap:12.0
  • Ebay ID:jamisonhp02
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

I guess it probably evens out in the end...

#10 duffer987

duffer987

Canadian in California

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Not taking pot-shots, really I am not, but I find it surprising how many serious golfers (you have to be pretty into the game to be scratch or a low single digit capper) don't know how the ESC works.
It seems to come up often enough here. I wonder where the meeting point is between it not being promoted/publicised enough and folks not looking into it enough.

Terrible swing. Mixed results.
913D2 9.5* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Adams DHy 18* | Titleist 913H 21*
Cally XHP 4I - 5I | X-Forged 6I - PW
Cally Forged 54* 60* | Odyssey #9
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

De oppresso liber

• Advanced Members
  • 10,978 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

View Postduffer987, on 16 November 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

Not taking pot-shots, really I am not, but I find it surprising how many serious golfers (you have to be pretty into the game to be scratch or a low single digit capper) don't know how the ESC works.
It seems to come up often enough here. I wonder where the meeting point is between it not being promoted/publicised enough and folks not looking into it enough.

:lol: If someone can't golf, then the next best thing is to know all the rules.  Least then he can sound like a golfer. :)
ProV1x or Hex Black Tour
SC California Monterey

#12 YMark

YMark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168261
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 16 November 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

:lol: If someone can't golf, then the next best thing is to know all the rules.  Least then he can sound like a golfer. :)

Good stuff. Kind of like the joke about teachers....
Mark
Havin fun in the AZ sun

#13 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1078

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Sorry, I'm with Duffer on this one.  You can tease him (and me too) about not being scratch, but that really doesn't have anything to do with whether good players are mistakenly increasing their handicaps by failing to put down a lower, ESC-adjusted score.

And IMO in most cases you have to work pretty hard at ignoring ESC.  On GHIN.com, where I post, right next to the box you put your score in it says, "ESC Score:"  and right next to that there's a little, live "question mark link" that leads you with one clidk to the following throrough explaination:

Q. What is ESC? A. All scores for handicap purposes, including tournament scores, are subject to the application of Equitable Stroke Control (ESC). This mandatory procedure reduces high hole scores for handicap purposes in order to make handicaps more representative of a player's potential ability. A handicap determined from scores to which ESC has not been applied may not be termed a Handicap Index.

Course Handicap

Maximum Number

9 or less

Double Bogey

10-19

20-29

30-39

40 and above

Please visit Section 4-3 of the USGA Handicap System manual for further reference.

If you don't care to "know all the rules" fine, don't.   But in that case don't keep a handicap.  At least don't keep one that's distorted with inappropriately high scores.

Edit:  Sorry, the chart I pasted above didn't reproduce well here.  It's simple to see on GHIN.  But in any case you get the idea . . .

Edited by Sawgrass, 16 November 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#14 duffer987

duffer987

Canadian in California

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

And you've done it so well in your previous posts in this thread :)
Terrible swing. Mixed results.
913D2 9.5* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Adams DHy 18* | Titleist 913H 21*
Cally XHP 4I - 5I | X-Forged 6I - PW
Cally Forged 54* 60* | Odyssey #9
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#15 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

De oppresso liber

• Advanced Members
  • 10,978 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostSawgrass, on 16 November 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

Sorry, I'm with Duffer on this one.  You can tease him (and me too) about not being scratch, but that really doesn't have anything to do with whether good players are mistakenly increasing their handicaps by failing to put down a lower, ESC-adjusted score.

And IMO in most cases you have to work pretty hard at ignoring ESC.  On GHIN.com, where I post, right next to the box you put your score in it says, "ESC Score:"  and right next to that there's a little, live "question mark link" that leads you with one clidk to the following throrough explaination:

Q. What is ESC? A. All scores for handicap purposes, including tournament scores, are subject to the application of Equitable Stroke Control (ESC). This mandatory procedure reduces high hole scores for handicap purposes in order to make handicaps more representative of a player's potential ability. A handicap determined from scores to which ESC has not been applied may not be termed a Handicap Index.

If you don't care to "know all the rules" fine, don't.   But in that case don't keep a handicap.  At least don't keep one that's distorted with inappropriately high scores.

Edit:  Sorry, the chart I pasted above didn't reproduce well here.  It's simple to see on GHIN.  But in any case you get the idea . . .

No worries Saw... I don't take discussions like this very serious.  Arguing over who might or might not know all the rules, especially if they are a low single or scratch... makes me :lol:  I applied for an index about 3 months after taking up the game, and have played in enough events to know the main rules that most often affect me... but that doesn't mean others in tournaments know them.

I have friends that are really good golfers, but never maintained an index.  Hence haven't a clue of ESC so when we play they ask me.  I wouldn't put it past people to make statements on here just to get a rise out of people, and others make broad assumptions, then go off in preponderance as if...

ProV1x or Hex Black Tour
SC California Monterey

#16 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

De oppresso liber

• Advanced Members
  • 10,978 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

View Postduffer987, on 16 November 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

And you've done it so well in your previous posts in this thread :)

Explain yourself??? Done what so well?  Sounds like you have your panties in a wad, maybe take yourself too serious, or maybe just want to argue because your online.  By the way, there are plenty of mature people that know the rules, way better then me... and their best day on the course is 85, and that's not very often, so what I wrote fits.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 16 November 2012 - 05:43 PM.

ProV1x or Hex Black Tour
SC California Monterey

#17 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,790 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:12.9
GolfWRX Likes : 454

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostFourmyle of Ceres, on 14 November 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

One of the many advantages of being a scratch golfer is only having to remember the first line of the ESC table. Double bogey.
I'll take my single digit ESC over your 11 letters and a space. :grin:

--kC
RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#18 jhscott1

jhscott1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65378
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I always wondered what the ESC meant. Im alwasy posting my scores in a hurry and have never looked into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors