Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Swing Faults- Early Extension (Hip Thrust)

43 replies to this topic

#1 GolfFitPro

GolfFitPro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12909
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:30 AM

Swing Faults- Early Extension (Hip Thrust)

When I was at the Titleist Performance Inst in January, I had Dave Philips film my swing. One of the swing faults I had was Early Extension on the downswing.  When the hips and spine go into extension or straighten up too early on the downswing, it is termed Early Extension, and it is part of the Loss of Posture swing fault.  From the down the line view (where the golfer stands between the target and the camera), you can see the hips move towards the ball on the downswing.

Because your body wants to maintain balance at all times, the upper body will lift up as you push forward and stand up.  Early Extension causes a player to feel “stuck” or “trapped” with their arms on the downswing.  I must do this a lot because that is exactly my number one complaint on a lot of my shots.  I feel really uncomfortable as I get closer to impact because my lower body has moved into the space where the arms need to go.   I always figured I was just standing too close to the ball.  Actually, you will Early Extend if you are too far from the ball as your body will move to compensate for the distance.

“The result can be a block or hook as the hands and arms desperately try to deliver the club to the ball,” says Philips. “If you don’t do anything with your hands through impact, you may actually shank some shots because you are closer to the ball then you were at address.”

According to TPI, Early Extension can be caused by:

* Clubs that are too long
    * Standing too far away from the ball
    * Having too much weight on the heels at address
    * A poor swing path
    * Physical limitations

Because I am a fitness professional, I will go over the physical limitations and what you can do to try to correct them.

Physical Limitations that can cause Early Extension:

* General lower body stiffness, joint immobility or muscle imbalances
    * Poor Lead Hip Internal Rotation
    * Poor segmental separation of upper and lower body
    * Inability to control pelvis
    * Weak glute and abs

Over the next couple of days, I will go into more detail about each limitation with some suggestions for corrective exercise. These are just suggestions, there are many ways to try to correct these limitations. Let's start with:

General lower body stiffness, joint immobility or muscle imbalances. (Tested with the Overhead Squat- more on that next week)  This can include poor ankle mobility and calf or hamstring inflexibility.  These limits can prevent proper address position and will force the player to alter spinal posture throughout the swing.

Exercises and stretches you can do before your workout to help gain some mobility and flexibility in the lower body:

Foam Roller
The object of the foam roll is to decrease the density of the muscle and prepare it for stretching.  If a muscle has a trigger point in it, it will not respond well to stretch. Use the foam roller to massage the whole hip area. We want to try to cover as many muscles as possible. I always start my sessions with a foam roller.

Sit on the roller and roll back and forth over the low back and butt.
Posted Image

Cross ankle over knee opposite knee and continue to roll.
Posted Image

Move over onto side and continue to roll over the whole hip area.  Take about 3 minutes doing this.

Posted Image

I really like The Stick Self Massager for the lower leg, I feel it's more user friendly in an area that is more difficult to get with the foam roller.  The same concept applies, try to roll out the whole area, front and back about 1 minute for each leg.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

With the next 3 exercises, we are trying to develop better calf flexibility and ankle mobility, a big factor in not being able to squat with the proper mechanics, which can lead to compensation patterns in the swing.

Half-Kneeling Calf Stretch

Get into position on one knee, holding golf club 3-6 inches in front of foot. Stay tall throughout the movement and try to touch your knee to the club, keeping the front heel on the ground.  Hold for 2 seconds and repeat 6 times.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ankle Mobilization
I first learned this from Strength Coach Michael Boyle and it has been extremely helpful getting people to a deeper squat.  Under the pictures are links videos on his site.

This looks like a typical calf stretch of the back leg but we are focusing on the front leg.  Leaning up against the wall in a split stance position and the front foot about 3-6 inches from the wall, try to get the front knee to touch the wall.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check out Michael Boyle's video of this exercise

Ankle Mobilization Part 2- Put your feet together with your toes elevated and try to bend the knees as much as possible.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check out Michael Boyle's videoof this exercise

See how far you can get on both of these.  After you're done, get The Stick out and roll the lower leg again (front and back about 1 minute each).  When you are done rolling, try these two ankle mobilization exercises again and see if you can get farther.

Click Here for Early Extension, Part 2

http://fitnessforbet...f_with_fitness/

Edited by GolfFitPro, 02 March 2007 - 11:54 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Slugsy

Slugsy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21451
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

I believe I may be doing this exact thing - all help is greatly appreciated.

#3 GolfFitPro

GolfFitPro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:54 PM

Slugsy, Part 2 should be up soon, it deals with internal hip rotation and upper/lower body separation.   If you have any specific questions about the exercises, let me know.  

Anthony

#4 GolfFitPro

GolfFitPro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:30 AM

Click here for Early Extension, Part 2

#5 rosskoss

rosskoss

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7235
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

I think I may have this problem but I'm not sure I understand exactly what early extension is. Do you have any photos to help understand the article better?

#6 GolfFitPro

GolfFitPro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:23 AM

I do not have any pictures but at www.mytpi.com, you can see a video of it.  Look under "The Swing", then go to "Swing Faults"

#7 scores

scores

scores

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6242
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:54 AM

Same issue here and yes I had to much wieght on my heels as a result and to get closer to the ball I fixed my posture and picked my hands up at address but it is a lousy feeling good luck I am fighting the hook/push..

I agree but fixing them is another thing!! My Iron Play is getting real good just off the tee!

#8 aminian.1

aminian.1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33297

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

Wow, I'm pretty certain that this is what's causing my shank. Thanks for the info!

#9 Golfkid09

Golfkid09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34721

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:25 PM

Is this always caused by physical limitations. I think i might have this problem, but im 16 and quite flexible. I set up with most of my weight on the balls of my feet, so i dont think thats it. Is it something caused by a swing technique?

#10 GolfFitPro

GolfFitPro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

It's only a possibility that it's a physical limitation.

It can also be caused by:

* Clubs that are too long
* Standing too far away from the ball
* Having too much weight on the heels at address
* A poor swing path

See a pro and let them look at your swing.  

The guys on this forum are really cool about giving feedback to videos so if you have the ability to post your swing, do it, maybe someone here can help.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Mike_C

Mike_C

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18026
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 12 October 2007 - 02:27 PM

Oh my God, this is EXACTLY what my problems are.  I didn't know it had a name.   ;)

All the faults listed, I have them, and have been fighting them for years.  Block right, big hook, feeling of being trapped, and the dreaded shanks now and then (had them bad this past spring, probably until I loosened up from the winter).  It finally hit me when I had my wife film my swing about a month ago.  I thought I was working on keeping my spine angle close to constant, but what I saw was really bad, I started with good set up, turn was OK, but as I started down it looked like I squatted down, big increase in my knee flex and my spine move way too much to the vertical, and as I see here, my hips must move towards the ball.  Probably alot of physical limitations,  I've had some back, knee and ankle problems over the years, I know I need to stretch a whole lot more.  Also,  I can see now that I'm too far from the ball.

This thread and links should be a big help....

Edited by Mike_C, 21 April 2009 - 03:55 PM.

BiO Cell Pro Red Tie 6Q3 X
RAZR Fit extreme 4 wood Black Tie  7M3 S
Bridgestone J33 18 degree NV-85
TM UDI 3 iron, Idea Pro 5-PW, C-taper S
588 RTX CB Back Pearl 50,54, Vokey K 60
White Hot Mid, Bridgestone B330-S

#12 Seegulz

Seegulz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27715
  • Ebay ID:Seegulz

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:28 PM

"Early extension" ... I like that term a lot better than what I used to use (the "krunk and hunch") to describe the disgusting form break that I saw when I taped my swing down the line.  My shoulders/back were hunched over at impact and my pelvis moved a good several inches forward.  I tended to push, push slice, or shank a lot of shots.

I have mostly self corrected by really focusing on keeping my spine erect, my butt out, and taking the club to parallel at the top.  I think the latter intervention, more than anything, just gives me a little more time to manipulate my hands so that I don't shank it.

I have terrible back problems, and when my back is feeling more limber than usual, I don't have to worry so much about the early extension/"krunk and hunch."

PS don't ask me where I got krunk from, I haven't a clue

#13 FOSTER_TPI_GFI

FOSTER_TPI_GFI

Foster_TPI_GFI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55666

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

Core, Core, Core...

64.3% of players early extend, which leads to all kinds of problems.

You can also be suffering from upper cross or lower cross syndrome, there is really know way to tell until you are properly screened by a certified GFI....

Foster_TPI_GFI

#14 sevenlakesmiller

sevenlakesmiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66163

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

Reply way after the fact, Make sure you are swinging on your own plane. I love TPI but bear in mind that your own construction ultimately determines your foundation swing. If you are trying to maintain a posture at 55 Deg. with your irons and your your built like Hogan whos posture is at 30 deg your fighting your natural tendencies. You will come out of shots no matter how hard you train, this from a guyb who loves his TPI workouts. See your nearest PGA pro.

#15 GolfFitPro

GolfFitPro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

Not sure I understand what "Make sure you are swinging on your own plane" means in terms of fitness.  The whole essence of seeing a trainer is to get a personalized program.  The assessment finds imbalances or asymmetries and tries to fix them.  Basically, you try to become a better athlete, or a better mover.  The philosophy behind the Titleist program is to work as a team.  It's not just about fitness but skills (teaching pro) and medical pros working together. "See your nearest PGA pro" is exactly what we are saying.  I never tell someone that fitness alone will make them better, it's an integrated process.

We never say that physical limitations are the only reason for swing faults, it's just one of the many possible reasons.

#16 sanderslongdrive

sanderslongdrive

• Spam
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72947
  • Ebay ID:www.stores.ebay.co.uk/sanderslongdrive

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

Many golfers attack the ball with their left side and get ahead of the ball.

When driving the body is like a bicycle, with a large cog and a small cog. But unlike a bicycle the cogs are reversed:

For a RH player the right hand side of the body moves three times more than the LHS which effectively has to be held back with the weight remaining on the right foot whilst the three times larger / faster cog (the RHS)  accelerates towards the ball.

Everything needs to be kept behind the ball at impact.

The power zone is not the distance from the top to the bottom of the downswing, but rather two feet from impact extending into a full follow through.

Edited by sanderslongdrive, 15 July 2010 - 06:09 PM.

#17 UCGolf

UCGolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75767

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

I love the use of TPI on the forum.  It is a great resource for golfers at any level.  I do agree that one must be properly screened in order to determine the physical cause of the early extension.  
Most of us (ie writing in this blog) are sitting in front of a computer day in and day out more than we would like. This can also turn muscles "on and off" in the patterns that are efficient for a golf swing.  Having a proper screening can begin to unfold various patterning and imbalances, and lead to proper instruction on using your body more effectively while playing.
Keep up the great writing!!!

#18 earthguy00

earthguy00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71562

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:24 AM

I hope I am in the right section for this posting.

For the past season I am having back troubles and feel after 9 holes my back starts to weaken and the pain gets more noticeable and weaker resulting in pulling or pushing the ball on impact.

I can generally hit especially my tee shots in a straight path and have been doing so for the past few years throughout 18 holes.

I have had back problems in the past, but feel I cannot withstand the strength throughout 18 holes without succumbing to pain.

When I hit at the range and hit 160 balls the last 60 balls I tend to feel what I feel on the golf course on the last 6 holes or so.

I have done some core exercises to strengthen my abs and lower back doing pull downs, bent over rows, machines for the obliques and abs and so on for a few weeks now to no avail.

Do I or should I need to rest for at least a few weeks before hitting more than 100 balls at a golf range or 18 holes of golf to let my back heal? Or do I need to strengthen my back even more?

I am 47 years of age, but have always been an athlete my entire life.  I do tend to sit at my chair for countless hours for the past year and am debating if this has debilitated my back causing this late surge of pain during a 18 hole outing. Especially towards the last 6 holes or so.

Can any chiropractor or health fitness instructor point out if there are any short or long term remedies to cure this problem I am having? Or at least minimize the pain?

Any insight would be highly encouraged and taken into considerations from past or professional experiences.

Thanks for reading.

#19 sweetwater420

sweetwater420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82081

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

I know this thread is mainly concerned with the fitness limitations of this common swing "disease" as I like to call it, but I would really like to stress that people go get fitted. Everyone is made differently: two guys with the same height could have completely different builds and different arm lengths, hand size, etc. It becomes extremely important to not waste your time swinging to accommodate a club, but to make the club fit your swing so that all your practice on the range isn't geared towards the wrong club.

Too often I see people grab something off the rack and think that their inability to make solid contact comes from their faulty swing. While your swing may have some flaws in it, checking out your equipment is one of the first things you should do. It doesn't have to involve making huge expensive shaft changes so much as perhaps just needing to shorten or extend your clubs, adjust the lie angles, etc.

I would highly recommend that everyone look into their bags and see what you can do to make the equipment fit you. After that's been done, fitness will take you to new levels you rarely saw, leading to more consistent scoring.

#20 Jcastell

Jcastell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79218

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

what do u think?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 unoiron

unoiron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96331

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:27 PM

Just saw this thread and thought I'd note that "hip thrust" can cause more than just a block or a hook. I battled with a hip thrust that was causing me to hit it left to right. Basically, as my hips came toward the ball the butt end of my shaft would be forced outside of the target line on the down swing. From there, the only way for me to make solid contact was to cut across the ball from across the target line. I got rid of the hip thrust and now stay seated through impact and play a slight draw.

#22 cliffmiller4

cliffmiller4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97769

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:14 PM

Hello,

I've been reading everything I can about early extension as it has plagued my swing for years.  I've spent the last year dedicating time every day to the exercises recommended for pelvic and core stabilization and I have seen solid gains in my physical limitations.  However I still have not been able to rid my swing of the early extension problem.

I would guess that I have ingrained physical habits that are still in place even though my flexibility and stability have improved.  I believe it would be a big help if I understood the precise role of the hips during the swing.

By this I mean how do they move in the anterior/ posterior directions over the course of the swing.  I have been practicing a move where the hips are tucked fully (posterior tilt) over the course of the backswing.  As I move into the downswing I allow the glutes and abs to relax resulting in an anterior tilt of the pelvis.  This move (when I get it right) feels like it puts me on the right plane.  Is this what should happen with the hips?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Cliff

#23 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

Take a look at the Youtube called "Hogan's Power Move" by Shawn Clement with some good guidance re: hip rotation.  Hope this helps.

#24 stugolf

stugolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98330

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

The thing about TPI is they only talk about physical limitations.

I am flexible and strong through Yoga and pilates and can easily perform the deep squat. When I take practice swings I can easily maintain my tush line, and keep my posture.

However when I hit balls my right hip fires toward the ball and my head raises up.

TPI should talk about what swing faults may also cause early extension as well as just physical limitations to give a more rounded view.

Edited by stugolf, 12 January 2010 - 10:37 AM.

#25 norenfan

norenfan

golfswagger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101286

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

http://www.swingacad...spx?id=5153  Hi first of all you have a great post and really clear pictures with excellent instructions . I am a 14 year old junior golfer who is struggling with my impact , i either have early extension as you describe or my hips stall causing my hands and arms to flip . I have tight hamstrings / calves and hips and i am currently working out 3=4 times per week with stretching and mobility excersise . What do you reccomend that i can do to help me with my problems , i have included a face on swing for you to view , Thanks Dan

#26 AcesAZ

AcesAZ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17643
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

Im glad I re-discovered this thread. My main issue is early extension as well, along with tempo. What I was trying to do to fix the problem was to have more weight on my heels, thinking stay back. They say this is a cause of early extension though?  :russian_roulette:  I guess when the weight is on the heels it has no where to go but forward right? I also stand too far away from the ball at times. Another setup problem. :russian_roulette: So I need to get my weight centered and also stand closer to it. And I have sup par lead hip internal rotation. No wonder I have problems! :black eye:  

Can someone else confirm the weight on the heels issue? Im going to try it tomorrow and see what happens.

So I need to stand closer, weight centered and get flexible.

#27 pinehurst

pinehurst

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68916
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

I now realize I have been a victim of this fault as well.  I can see it in all my films going back a couple of years.  I always new something didn't look correct, but couldn't figure it out.  I found this video that describes the issue in a different way.  It looks like the early extension of the hips causes the rear end to move away from the "tush line" when viewed from the DTL view.  This move of keeping your rear planted on that tush line is fundamental to every pro swing I have seen.  I have also seen it referred to as a "power move" by some teachers. I play to a 2 handicap and have not been doing it correctly.  My rear moves off this line a few inches and I believe that has been my problem with inconsistency in my ball striking.  I may have been doing it correctly at one point, but I remember getting a lot of pain afterwards just below my left iliac crest, likely at the attachment of the left tensor fascia latta.  I need to work on flexibility.

#28 erscarborough

erscarborough

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92526

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

Im glad I re-discovered this thread. My main issue is early extension as well, along with tempo. What I was trying to do to fix the problem was to have more weight on my heels, thinking stay back. They say this is a cause of early extension though? :russian_roulette: I guess when the weight is on the heels it has no where to go but forward right? I also stand too far away from the ball at times. Another setup problem. :russian_roulette: So I need to get my weight centered and also stand closer to it. And I have sup par lead hip internal rotation. No wonder I have problems! :black eye:

Can someone else confirm the weight on the heels issue? Im going to try it tomorrow and see what happens.

So I need to stand closer, weight centered and get flexible.
[/quote]

During the golf swing you should be in a "balanced, athletic position." To achieve this the weight must be equally distributed between your heels and the balls of your feet. As far as the favoring your weight on your heels goes....during the downswing iff your weight is too far back the hips over compensate by flexing. If your weight is too far forward, the hip compensates by extending. The quick fix for this is to find a comfortable balance between the balls of your feet and your toes. It is important that the hip favors flexion because of the initial flexed position from which the swing begins. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS TO CHANGE DURING THE SWING. You want to maintain the amount of flexion from which your swing starts. The only way to remain balanced is to maintain your weight distributuion that you begin your swing with through the entirety of the golf swing. A great way to think of this is to play defense... when a basketball defender is playing defense they have equal weight distribution on heels and toes to let the body accommodate to side-to-side, forward, or backward motion. So when you practice, keep the weight evenly distributed. As far as ball position goes....standing too close can cause an early extension at the hips and too far forward can cause an excess of hip flexion. If you stand too far your ball flight will be a pull/hook and if you stand too close the ball flight will be a either a push or fade. If you feel yourself extending early during the swing stand further away from the ball.

#29 blackie2

blackie2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48699

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

http://www.mytpi.com...=256&artID=1199

Try this drill for early extension.

#30 GolfingBear

GolfingBear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109187
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Holy crap, I just went back and looked at some videos of my swing.   My hips are moving forward (toward the ball) almost 4 inches.

No wonder my consistency is all over the place.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors